Deliver us from evil

Matt5

2 hours ago, Tom said:

Otherwise all recreations are very accurate!

yes, indeed. I'm actually baffled by their effort. Look at these overlays I just did, that's really cool!

Overlay.thumb.jpg.eb52fe5977b590584e062798e8f73a7a.jpg

overlay_2.thumb.jpg.e330ab46a892a33eba0d9db3ac299e70.jpg

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

vor 16 Minuten schrieb daytona365:

yes, indeed. I'm actually baffled by their effort. Look at these overlays I just did, that's really cool!

Overlay.thumb.jpg.eb52fe5977b590584e062798e8f73a7a.jpg

overlay_2.thumb.jpg.e330ab46a892a33eba0d9db3ac299e70.jpg

LOL great work but now you’re the maniac pal with the location obession! :dance2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tom said:

LOL great work but now you’re the maniac pal with the location obession! :dance2:

"takes a licking, keeps on ticking" :cheers:

Edited by daytona365

1 hour ago, daytona365 said:

"takes a licking, keeps on ticking" :cheers:

Tubbs. “Brother’s Keeper” :p

• Like 1

7 hours ago, airtommy said:

Really unexpected and awesome that the homeowner responded with these photos!

:clap: :clap: :clap: 

Even more unexpected that they have those Miami Vice transparencies hanging all over the house! 

• Haha 2

On 6/26/2020 at 11:15 AM, daytona365 said:

They even still have the spotlights in the hallway and the barstools...also the wall unit in the TV room looks almost the same except the color

DUFE.thumb.jpg.a27efe8aa7198cc1b880236b919dcd7d.jpg

Just brillant! Thankyou.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, airtommy said:

Really unexpected and awesome that the homeowner responded with these photos!

:clap: :clap: :clap: 

It’s fantastic!:cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

Today I stumbled across the original 2nd unit reel of the establishing shot of the teaser house. It is part of the Framepool files that one of our members has found (see the "original and uncut MV footage of scenes" thread here in the location section).

I had to laugh when I found exactly that snippet, since this establishing shot ended up in the episode and consumed lot of my time until I found it just one month ago.

P.S. other interesting footage in this package is the Milk run lab explosion from several angles, the explosions from "Mirror Image", "killshot" and "Good collar"....

• 10 months later...

LAST UNKNOWN LOCATION: "IZZY MOORAY´S RECYCLED JEWELERY" STORE :p

Very tough to impossible to find, but I tried. Here is what I have;

This is no set (given the ceiling, the non-use of sets in season 4 and the effort to build such a set with jewelry). There are only 4 jewelry stores in whole South Miami/Coconut Grove (because close to most locations of this episode) that existed in 1988 or earlier. I checked them all.

This one (H&H Jewellers, 3434 Main Highway) is the best candidate (established at this address in 1986) and very close to the Barnacle location, but very unlikely, unless massively remodelled (ceiling, door to repair backroom, walls, desks)

More research needed. 

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-29 um 09.53.40.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-29 um 09.54.41.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-29 um 10.21.26.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-29 um 10.23.11.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-29 um 10.24.40.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-29 um 10.26.42.png

Edited by Tom

@miamijimfUnbelievable! The new owner of Blatt´s house, 2538 Lincoln Ave, Coconut Grove, wants to demolish it and has filed for allowance. And obviously it is not protected by law!

The new owner is "2538 Lincoln LLC." and has bough it in June 2020 for 382k although its current value is 650k. Obviously a long planned real estate deal to buy an old house for 382k, raze it and build something there to sell for 1m+. Also the LLC owner does not sound like an ordinary family.

The neighbors have never seen any "sale" signs and have never received any city waivers for demolition. This is smelly.

This house was built in 1910 and is one of the oldest houses in whole Coconut Grove. 

Article from 10 days ago: https://floridanewstimes.com/coconut-grove-residents-wanting-to-save-their-home-over-100-years-ago-from-wrecking-balls/263429/

with video and mentioning of the VICE episode filmed here plus the script shown: https://www.local10.com/news/local/2021/05/19/residents-of-coconut-grove-hoping-to-save-more-than-100-year-old-home-from-wrecking-ball/

Greater Miami has not learnt anything from the 1980s demolition debacles of old heritage (Senator, ...). No respect of its own history.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I dont understand this constant tearing down/rebuilding which is happening everywhere.  After being in many newly built homes over the last few years I can tell you they are built S**TTY!  These are modest, family sized homes, ranging anywhere from 400k-1mil.  My wife and I would like to purchase another home in a few years, and I've mainly been looking at ranch-style homes built in the 60s.  Good "bones", and easy to update. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

I dont understand this constant tearing down/rebuilding which is happening everywhere.  After being in many newly built homes over the last few years I can tell you they are built S**TTY!  These are modest, family sized homes, ranging anywhere from 400k-1mil.  My wife and I would like to purchase another home in a few years, and I've mainly been looking at ranch-style homes built in the 60s.  Good "bones", and easy to update. 

I have taught as part of a career academy within my high school for over 20 years, focused on architecture, engineering, and construction.  I have learned a lot over the years from our connections to the community, who make up our steering committee.  These are individuals actively involved in these careers and I have had some very fascinating discussions with them. 

I agree with you that new construction in the last couple of decades is often of the “builder grade” level of quality, meaning architecturally insignificant and using base level materials.  There are many reasons for this but in the end it comes down to the market and what most buyers want.  

Buyers don’t want poor construction but rather are most focused on finishes rather than the “bones” of the structure, to use your words.  Builders lament that people are far less willing to spend on what they can’t see inside the walls, than on the finishes.  These unseen elements make for quality and long-lasting construction, but are often minimized to be able to include nicer bath fixtures or kitchen counters.

Architects and designers lament that people generally prefer larger overall space than higher quality spaces that may be smaller, but are more flexible and usable. They have become very adept at maximizing square footage at lower cost because that’s what the majority of people respond to.

On a side note.  We just had our steering committee meeting (via Zoom) for next school year, last week. I was talking with a GC who largely does remodeling. He was telling me that he and several of his colleagues had taken notice of clients having some regrets about the “open concept” homes they had being very unsuited to the pandemic demands for multiple home work spaces.  

He joked that perhaps the biggest request he had from clients in recent years was remodeling older homes with traditional, defined spaces, into open concept living.  Now many people wanted back the ability to close doors and create quiet spaces for work or their children’s classes.  I just found it fascinating.

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 1

vor 12 Stunden schrieb Mr. Vigilante:

Historic preservation is no issue if you really want to do it. In Europe (different countries) it is usually done either by

• general (soft) restrictions that are made out clearly in the zoning regulation/building codes. Everyone who wants to buy a property knows that e.g. it is not allowed to build higher than (highrise restriction), etc. (or else)
  • specific historic preservation rules (strong protection): some zones or buildings are declared as "historically protected". In Austria we have to classes to that: 1. minor changes allowed as long as the general substance is not changed, there is a definition what general substance means OR 2. strong protection which means that ANY changes on the outside or general appearance are prohibited without PRIOR approval of the preservation department of the city. The latter sometimes means that you even may not remove a rusty nail from the facade without prior approval, but everyone knows that up front before buying such property and may not apply for demolition or rebuild later on. Thus this is NO conflict with the idea of private property.

I don´t know why the latter option is not possible in the US (or why this house like many others have NO special protection defined up front if there are so few of them left anyway)?

And in the US we mostly speak of 100 years max for old historic sites, that age class should be easier to protect than 1000 year old buildings in Europe where there is less chance to modernize such old substance to a reasonable contemporary level (which could be a reasonable argument against such strict protection rules).

Bottom line for me: if a society WANTS to protect its national heritage there is an easy way and give protection yield over profit. If it´s not done then it´s rather ignorance than just coincidence or obliviousness.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
Am 29.5.2021 um 10:33 schrieb Tom:

LAST UNKNOWN LOCATION: "IZZY MOORAY´S RECYCLED JEWELERY" STORE :p

Very tough to impossible to find, but I tried. Here is what I have;

This is no set (given the ceiling, the non-use of sets in season 4 and the effort to build such a set with jewelry). There are only 4 jewelry stores in whole South Miami/Coconut Grove (because close to most locations of this episode) that existed in 1988 or earlier. I checked them all.

This one (H&H Jewellers, 3434 Main Highway) is the best candidate (established at this address in 1986) and very close to the Barnacle location, but very unlikely, unless massively remodelled (ceiling, door to repair backroom, walls, desks)

More research needed. 

Sometimes solutions are closer to episode reality than you think.

I am convinced that I have found Izzy´s jewelry store now.

They used the real name of the store when applying Izzy´s name to it. "Morays Jewelers" has been an institution as a jewelry store in Miami since 1944. They simply added the "Izzy´s" to it! (Spelling and absence of “‘s” is identical!)

https://moraysjewelers.com/heritage/

It is unlikely that the production would have used "Morays", the name of a well known local jeweller for a location of a small fence selling jewelery that was NOT filmed at the location of its name - and that the owner family would have approved this! All other Izzy´s scam places used his normal  last name ("I. de la Moreno" in Hooker by crook)

Currently seventh generation of Austrian based family is in charge. They have been at 114 Miracle Mile since 2017, but were in downtown Miami before, at the Dupont Building (50 NE 2nd Ave) and also at 224 SE 1 Street. Both addresses are just a short walk off Bayside Marina where Crockett´s boat was moored and they filmed with Crockett&Tubbs in this episode.

As the shop changed address and has been remodelled since it is hard to find 100% proof, but all photos I found have a similar look than the style of shop we see in this episode, including backdoor and A/C block in upper corner. Same products as on TV, fine jewelry and all Swiss exclusive watch brands. Due to the low, typical business tile ceiling seen in the episode, I am convinced that the DuPont location was used. Below you can see both downtown locations (one is a Dentist now) and the new one at Miracle Mile. Within the Dupont building Moray´s was once located on the first floor and once in a shop with an entrance on 2nd Ave. I have been able to confirm via a posting by the Schechter family itself on their Facebook page that the original store opened in 1944 was indeed on NE 2nd Ave. Thus, we can assume this as the address this was filmed. See proof below.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-16 um 13.08.29.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-16 um 13.11.56.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-16 um 13.17.34.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-16 um 13.28.37.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-16 um 13.29.59.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-16 um 13.38.07.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-16 um 13.39.57.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-16 um 13.49.40.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-16 um 14.28.53.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-16 um 14.47.15.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-16 um 14.50.15.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-09-16 um 19.43.04.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, airtommy said:

I'm working on a book titled "Clues Staring Me Right in the Face But I Still Overlooked Them".  It's going to be a very long book.  :)

I will write the foreword for you :) 

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Dadrian:

I will write the foreword for you :) 

Place for a second foreword by me as I am the real fool here? :p

I wanted to kick myself when I found the jewelry as I did a long search weeks ago for it around Coconut Grove near the other locations but did (for whatever mysterious reason) not check downtown locations near Bayside. When I started a Google search for jewelers in downtown „Morays“ was the first on the list just two blocks away. My face expression in that second must have been priceless! :)

• 2 months later...

In the 1997 film "Blood and Wine" (52nd minute), we see the exterior of Morays Jewelers at 224 SE 1st Street (and a bit of the interior through the window).  He jogs across the street and then looks in the window.

bwine7.png.bc458aeb923445f0880bf1f8b18ccc67.png

bwine6.png.60e45d8c7f9114c1a950286a9dab92da.png

• Like 2

Am 21.11.2021 um 03:16 schrieb airtommy:

In the 1997 film "Blood and Wine" (52nd minute), we see the exterior of Morays Jewelers at 224 SE 1st Street (and a bit of the interior through the window).  He jogs across the street and then looks in the window.

Great find! Thanks for sharing! I love these cross-checks via other movies or pictures. As many of us are also movie buffs we have higher chances for such coincidental finds.

This is 100% proof that Morays at 224 SE 1st Street was used as a location, for two reasons:

(1) the exact same font type and size used for the neon sign - see e.g. the hard cornered "O" in MORAYS and the matching ends of the "S" plus the slightly smaller second line "Jewelery"

(2) both screenshots  have "Jewelery" in it although the company name officially includes "Jewelers"  in the company records and on the shops.

These two "coincidences" confirm this location beyond any reasonable doubt. In MV, they just moved the second line "Jewelery“ a bit to the right to have enough space to add a non-neon "Recycled" (in a different font type, hand written) and added "Izzy´s" on top. Now that original hunch I had about the neon sign re-use by MV makes full sense. See below what I mean.

With these two matches we can waive the fact that there is (unfortunately) no interior scene or better inside view in this movie to have a final visual match of the counters, wall colors, etc (in case they kept it from 1988 to 1996 when this movie was filmed anyway). But we can at least see in the movie that the golden frames match with MV, as do the grey marble wall parts inside the shop. Full match I would say although we have no full inside view.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-11-21 um 10.01.43.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
Am 21.11.2021 um 03:16 schrieb airtommy:

Upon using the time travel function on Google Street View (earliest time May 2009) we can see how the Morays jewelry shop looked like (the shop and the facade was remodelled completey after they moved out) when VICE filmed inside.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-01-08 um 23.49.50.png

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I found a custome sheet of Switek/Michael Talbott with the polaroid being taken exactly at the Moray´s jewelry store we have found, i.e. photo looking towards the back left corner of the store between the counter and the wall, just next to the back wall where "Izzy Moray´s" was displayed (the neon display on the wall is out of frame on the right)

P.S. These costume sheets and the polaroids were designed to document exactly what a character wears in scenes and to ensure costume continuity throughout the episode, as some scenes play on the same day as per script, but are filmed on different locations on different days and it must be prevented that suddenly shirts, pants or other props like jewelry, etc change from one scene to the other when edited together.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-17 um 20.24.50.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-17 um 20.34.28.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-17 um 20.42.17.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 7

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

4994 Hammock Lake Dr in Hammock Lakes, Gables Estates  \ South Miami  featured in the teaser “ Deliver Us From Evil “ - I  visited this gated community last week just south from Coconut Grove, Coral Gables and off the Old Cutler Highway.
Miami Vice shot around this area a number of times in Season 4 and 5. Enjoy the snaps I took to mirror and more
what we see in this fine episode which aired in the Spring of 1988. 

IMG_1276.jpeg

IMG_6418.jpeg

IMG_6422.jpeg

IMG_6425.jpeg

• Like 4