Have you ever been laughed at for doing the Vice look?

Detective_Crockett

38 minutes ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

Is that black pinstripe from "Lost Madonna"??  Either way, it looks like Sonny was running late that morning and grabbed the first thing he found.

I think its "Victim of Circumstance" I think he might of borrowed one off Tubb's season 5 jackets :)

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

I think its "Victim of Circumstance" I think he might of borrowed one of Tubb's season 5 jackets :)

I think you're right.  Fitting for such a mess of an episode.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

I think you're right.  Fitting for such a mess of an episode.

I enjoy it though. Just watched that one last night!

Edit: oops- I thought you were talking about Little Prince 

Edited by Dadrian

23 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

I enjoy it though. Just watched that one last night!

Edit: oops- I thought you were talking about Little Prince 

Yeah "Little Prince" is a good one. 

I don't think there is an episode in season 1 that I dislike, such a great season.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 6:28 PM, Dadrian said:

Appropriately, I’m wearing it here :cool::

It must be a lot of fun to have that kind of talent.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, IA-SteveB said:

It must be a lot of fun to have that kind of talent.

Thanks, Steve. Yes, moments like that one are very fun and rewarding. 

• Like 2

On 3/23/2020 at 12:28 AM, mxlplk said:

Now let me say an insincere "sorry" to you as a preamble, pmconroy, and say that you don't know me so don't troll your psychoanalytic profiles about me.   First of all, why don't you read my entire post instead of just reading the first line and getting all upset and taking it personally?  If you read the entirety (I know it's long), I actually provide tips on modernizing the Miami Vice look without looking like you're going to an 80's tribute party.

But I still contend as a reply to the original poster's question in the most honest way possible:  Yes, you will be laughed at for dressing like Sonny Crockett today.  I'm sorry if you don't like that frank and honest answer.  It has nothing to do with who has confidence and who does not.  It's the facts of a judgemental world.

You don't want to hear it from me?  How about from Don Johnson, himself?  He poked fun at people copying him even back then on the June, 11, 1985 David Letterman show.  Listen at the 2:30 mark as a response to when David Letterman mentions how people are now dressing like him.

A 1986 GQ article, January 1986 with Cary Grant on the cover to be exact, said that copying someone else does not give you style.  It just makes you a sad copycat.

Unless you're cosplaying Sonny Crockett for fun, perhaps that is the person who is actually lacking confidence and trying to project themselves into a fictitious character.  Hmm?

True style is original.  True style is an expression.  I don't have to justify myself to you except to say that I actually happen to have over a dozen sport coats in my collection of modern vintage of all different styles which is probably more than the average male today: tailored, traditional cut, modern slim cut, unconstructed, lined, etc.    But I wear them for me and in my own style.  Not to cosplay Sonny Crockett.  

Yes, I love Miami Vice.  I grew up with it.  I saw the original broadcasts and even dressed in t-shirts and unconstructed sport coats when I was young and while it was still fresh and cool for about 16 months before it became hackneyed by late 1986.  It is no longer cool.  That was a point in time.   Dressing like Sonny Crockett is a painful 80's cliche and I contend, whether you like it or not, people will laugh at you and think you're a clown if you wear a white suit and pink t-shirt.  If you're comfortable with that then good on you.  Go ahead and dress like Sonny Crockett -- it's a free country.  You can dress like a 70's Vegas Elvis if you want.  Neither makes you original nor have style, however.  SORRY.

There is nothing wrong with completely copying someone else's style. Especially if it's a style not being worn, it's considered original or "quirky" in most people's eyes. Unless you're wearing a loincloth-thong hybrid that has never been designed before, you're copying SOMEONE's style. Your sportcoats all originate from the traditional Western suiting style that became prominent in the 19th century. Same with your pants, someone else is wearing them. Same with your socks, T-shirts, dress shirts, whatever. 

Of course Don is going to act arrogant in this interview, this is the height of his fame and relevance which has since dissipated. He didn't even really mock the people mimicking his style. And he sure didn't say "If you're not 100% original you have no style" as you are saying.

You do you, man. But if you think wearing a classy but casual beach look is more clownish than people sporting rainbow-colored hair and Crocs, you may want to get your head examined.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/3/2020 at 11:59 AM, pmconroy said:

There is nothing wrong with completely copying someone else's style. Especially if it's a style not being worn, it's considered original or "quirky" in most people's eyes. Unless you're wearing a loincloth-thong hybrid that has never been designed before, you're copying SOMEONE's style. Your sportcoats all originate from the traditional Western suiting style that became prominent in the 19th century. Same with your pants, someone else is wearing them. Same with your socks, T-shirts, dress shirts, whatever. 

Of course Don is going to act arrogant in this interview, this is the height of his fame and relevance which has since dissipated. He didn't even really mock the people mimicking his style. And he sure didn't say "If you're not 100% original you have no style" as you are saying.

You do you, man. But if you think wearing a classy but casual beach look is more clownish than people sporting rainbow-colored hair and Crocs, you may want to get your head examined.

Have my head examined?  Still with the personal attacks and insults?   

Like I said before: you wear what you want.  A circa-80's Hugo Boss white suit with a pink three button shirt, rainbow-colored hair and crocs, a top hat and monacle ala Mr Peanut, or whatever.  Believe it or not I don't care what you wear and if you truly don't care what I or others think then why do you even need to respond -- especially with thinly veiled insults?  

Quite frankly, there are far more important things going on these days to get into petty arguments and shoving matches with anonymous people on a Miami Vice forum on the internet over their Constitutional right to wear pastel three button t-shirts in the year 2020.  Sheesh!

I'll repeat it again.  I was replying directly to the question on the forum and my intention was more as a general commentary on menswear today as opposed to the 1980's.  It was not my intention to hurt people's feelings, or get into arguments of ethics in a free society to wear pastels with people who took my message as an attack on them when it clearly was not.

If you (or others) feel the need to continue attacking and getting personal then go ahead.  Keep it up if you feel that gives you some kind of win.  I'm not interested in childish games.  It's not worth my time.

I think I have some knowledge to share and was interested in doing so but without getting into petty squabbles with people who get upset because a frank reply to a blunt question is not what they wanted to see or hear and caused them some cognitive dissonance.   So then you need to resort to personal attacks, when you do not know me, with insults like accusing me of having insecurity issues, or that I need to have my head examined.  Christ, man, how old are you?  That is something 15 year olds do on online gaming sites.

If it makes you feel like you have the win keep the insults coming and I won't retort because it's not worth my time.  

To avoid any more unpleasantries I will put you on IGNORE and I advise you, and others who do not like my responses, to do the same and I think we will get along a lot better and this forum will be much more civil.

Edited by mxlplk

For my next trick, I will go to a STARTREKONLINE forum and look for a post titled, "Is it weird to wear my Mr. Spock Star Trek outfit on a first date?"

I will answer, "Yes it is and likely to get you unwanted attention.  Consider wearing a Star Trek pin, or logo on the collar of your jacket to express your appreciation for Trek and save the Star Trek uniform for a date to a Comic-Con."

Inevitably I will draw the same anger and ire for stating an opinion and will have to defend myself by telling people repeatedly that they can dress however they want.  I don't know them, they're not my children so I don't care how they dress.  It's their right to wear what they want and feel good about it.  Those of us who love Miami Vice or Star Trek will appreciate it.  

BUT make no mistake.  It IS a judgemental world and there are cruel people out there who will mock and snicker at your unorthodox choices and generalize you for it.  Sometimes it's tough to be progressive, different, or a non-comformist.  Life isn't fair.  Sorry if the truth hurts. 

But, hey, if you are confident and don't care what others think then dress however you want and feel good about it and express yourself however you like.  I sometimes wear boots with a suit, black with navy, a T-shirt under a V-neck sweater rather than a proper collared shirt despite what "Gentleman's Gazette" says.  I don't care what people think as long as it looks good to me.

So GO AHEAD and express yourself...

Miami-Vice_3043722a.jpg

fl-1548336865-y6phm3xee3-snap-image

6c3b6a1be3f4326c1f5d2182dc5c2d7d--s-fash

ngcb1

MV5BNDI0Y2ZkZWQtYmJjMy00Njg3LWIwNGUtZGE0

Tanner Buchanan in an episode of Cobra Kai.  Dressed as "Steff" from Pretty in Pink at an 80's party but being referred to as, "Some guy named Don Johnson".

Spock_Vegas.jpg

This guy also has the right to wear whatever he wants in public and no one should care or think it's weird.  Live long and prosper.  PEACE OUT.  

BTW, just remember that I am NOT the person who originally posed the question and suggested that you will get laughed at for dressing like a circa 80's Don Johnson.  

Edited by mxlplk

• Administrators

I think you guys all need to chill out a bit.  Fashion is in the eye of the beholder as far as I'm concerned.  Wear what you want and stop busting each others balls about it! 

Besides, like I said before, this guy started the trend in 1931!

Frankenstein.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

50 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

Necroposting...the breakfast of trolling.:rauchen:

Post of the week! :) :) :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mxlplk said:

For my next trick, I will go to a STARTREKONLINE forum and look for a post titled, "Is it weird to wear my Mr. Spock Star Trek outfit on a first date?"

I will answer, "Yes it is and likely to get you unwanted attention.  Consider wearing a Star Trek pin, or logo on the collar of your jacket to express your appreciation for Trek and save the Star Trek uniform for a date to a Comic-Con."

Inevitably I will draw the same anger and ire for stating an opinion and will have to defend myself by telling people repeatedly that they can dress however they want.  I don't know them, they're not my children so I don't care how they dress.  It's their right to wear what they want and feel good about it.  Those of us who love Miami Vice or Star Trek will appreciate it.  

BUT make no mistake.  It IS a judgemental world and there are cruel people out there who will mock and snicker at your unorthodox choices and generalize you for it.  Sometimes it's tough to be progressive, different, or a non-comformist.  Life isn't fair.  Sorry if the truth hurts. 

But, hey, if you are confident and don't care what others think then dress however you want and feel good about it and express yourself however you like.  I sometimes wear boots with a suit, black with navy, a T-shirt under a V-neck sweater rather than a proper collared shirt despite what "Gentleman's Gazette" says.  I don't care what people think as long as it looks good to me.

So GO AHEAD and express yourself...

Miami-Vice_3043722a.jpg

fl-1548336865-y6phm3xee3-snap-image

6c3b6a1be3f4326c1f5d2182dc5c2d7d--s-fash

ngcb1

MV5BNDI0Y2ZkZWQtYmJjMy00Njg3LWIwNGUtZGE0

Tanner Buchanan in an episode of Cobra Kai.  Dressed as "Steff" from Pretty in Pink at an 80's party but being referred to as, "Some guy named Don Johnson".

Spock_Vegas.jpg

This guy also has the right to wear whatever he wants in public and no one should care or think it's weird.  Live long and prosper.  PEACE OUT.  

BTW, just remember that I am NOT the person who originally posed the question and suggested that you will get laughed at for dressing like a circa 80's Don Johnson.  

Sure. Whatever you say. You seem to have taken what I said to heart a little much, I wasn't insulting you. Only retorting my views on not caring what people (like you) think of people wearing what they want. Sure, I can wear my Miami Vice look, and people may laugh. And people can continue to go out in sweatshirts and sneakers expecting to be taken seriously and I will laugh too. Also seems a little off to compare designer Italian clothes and coastal colors to a full-on costume from a vintage sci-fi series.

Laugh it up, pal!

• Haha 1

Why laugh at others if they don’t meet your standards?  Seems like a waste and a pot/kettle type of thing.

Edited by IA-SteveB
  • Like 1

I live near Miami now and wear pastel colored polo shirts and pastel shorts all the time with white or gray slip ons and the only time I got a funny look was from 2 young guys while waiting in line at an italian store for some food, but they may not have even been looking at me. Before cutting my hair last month I was *somewhat* rockin' Don's hairstyle too. Sometimes I'll wear an off white blazer during the cooler months (especially at night) but I still haven't done the full white-on-white look (yet). I see plenty of white and pastel colored suits in department stores at the mall so I'm guessing the look didn't completely go out of style here. It is very hot and you wanna wear lighter colors.

• Like 4

image.png.fd11e5b4ea606b3a2ee744b8b14f0753.png

No danger of this guy being laughed at, seeing as "Stranger Things" is set in the 80's :cool:

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

image.png.fd11e5b4ea606b3a2ee744b8b14f0753.png

No danger of this guy being laughed at, seeing as "Stranger Things" is set in the 80's :cool:

You gotta laugh at his vanity plate though (“TODDFATHER”) :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, TylerDurden389 said:

I live near Miami now and wear pastel colored polo shirts and pastel shorts all the time with white or gray slip ons and the only time I got a funny look was from 2 young guys while waiting in line at an italian store for some food, but they may not have even been looking at me. Before cutting my hair last month I was *somewhat* rockin' Don's hairstyle too. Sometimes I'll wear an off white blazer during the cooler months (especially at night) but I still haven't done the full white-on-white look (yet). I see plenty of white and pastel colored suits in department stores at the mall so I'm guessing the look didn't completely go out of style here. It is very hot and you wanna wear lighter colors.

Full white was the first thing I did.  I don't just dip my toe in the water.  lol

20190705_191903.jpg

• Like 5

I know I'm gonna sound like I'm back-peddling here, but I honestly do enjoy finding (and wearing) other clothes that look like the clothes Don wore that had patterns instead of solid colors. I've been taking snapshots from the show as I've been re-watching it, and have been getting some great ideas for expanding my wardrobe. For me, wearing a white blazer that has stripes, or even just a solid off-white/tan is more fun than "going with the obvious". Not to knock your choice of clothes, but I like to take inspiration from the Vice/Crockett style, and put my own original spin on it. TBH, my overall style of dress looks closer to Tubbs, but with Crockett's colors (with the exception of double breasted jackets or shoes with laces).

Sorta like how I don't wear t-shirts with blazers (more-so to avoid sweat stains on the collar), and wear polos instead. I wear shorts instead of pants (yes, with a blazer) mostly due to how hot it is here in Florida. Got plenty of those in pastel colors. (as well as interesting patterns that are very "Vice"). Finding pants in my size is a real pain. Lately I've bit the bullet and started getting them hemmed, but I think I accidentally asked for them to be a little shorter than I wanted, mostly since I do plan on at least trying to wear pants with slip-ons, so they need to run a little shorter. Lastly, regarding whites shoes: Here in Florida where it rains a lot and there's plenty of sand, they ain't white for very long, lol. Better off with some off-white and light gray's. I think I have a pair of pastel blue slip-ons bookmarked to buy i the future.

Eh, I know it takes a lot of courage to dress that way in public, so I commend ya for it. I just try to tell myself that no matter how ridiculous I think I may look, everywhere I turn I see so many young people walking around wearing house slippers with BLACK socks out in public. That or CROCS!!  Blech.

• Haha 1

I do like Crockett's season 3+ looks as well.  The problem is that it is just so hard to find jackets or cardigan styles that fit the correct way for the time period.  I am not a fan of slim fit but I also don't like super baggy or loose fitting stuff.  Somewhere right in between.  Honestly, I have given away some of my initial purchases as I was trying to find my way.  My best luck lately has been using Poshmark to find vintage stuff.  There is a surprising amount available on that app.

I wear a full Crockett look (not always white) when I am at our family condo because it is on a large lake and the town is very laid back in a Florida Keys kind of way.  I just feel more comfortable there.  The only thing I haven't tried are those scoop neck shirts Johnson wore.  I don't think I can pull that off.

Edited by IA-SteveB
  • Like 2

On 4/13/2020 at 12:41 PM, IA-SteveB said:

My best luck lately has been using Poshmark to find vintage stuff.  There is a surprising amount available on that app.

Thanks for the tip. I might look into that as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t exactly dress like DJ but I’ve borrowed some elements and have gotten both compliments and ppl making fun of me! But I don’t care what ppl think I dress how I want when I want! Very few people dress his style anyway so copying him isn’t a big deal anymore. I’ll also add that girls actually like it while some dudes make fun of it I’ll take compliments from girls over other men:cheers:. Honestly a lot of men hate the idea of wearing a lot of white or light colored anything I get so much crap for white pants from other men because they don’t have the confidence to wear it. Just my two cents and happy to be here! 

2D604130-3568-436C-B584-18874347BA0B.jpeg

• Like 7