Have you ever been laughed at for doing the Vice look?

Detective_Crockett

Nice Tony!  I'd only wear that outfit if I knew I wasn't eating.  I'm so clumsy I'd drop a chili dog in my lap or something...never fails!  I guess I'd do better with a S3 Crockett look.

• Haha 1

30+ years since Miami Vice ended it's original run, this Swiss fashion store brochure advertises "Dark and light blue as base, with a TOUCH OF MIAMI VICE: pastelly colors, light fabrics, the subtle gloss of mercerized yarns".

This tells something about the perpetual influence on fashion that Vice has left behind, or has anyone recently seen a magazine advertising with "a touch of Rockford Files" or "a touch of the Streets of San Francisco"

Inside.thumb.png.68ba5ea42c8ea6c71e7271c31f85af22.png

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Gary1911A1 said:

I wouldn't wear the badge in public for several reasons, but otherwise why not?

Yea, badge was just for display. I dont know if it would look ok with jeans. I could not do the white pants lol.

One reason people are being laughed at for doing the MV look is because it's very easy to do it wrong and look like an idiot. 

Most of the MV "inspired" stuff today is way more slim fit than MV was. Quite simply, huge baggy slacks looks terrible today. If you wear it to a date, the lady just thinks you are wearing ill-fitting clothes. 

Edited by Lit Up
  • Haha 1

Thanks to Steve-B for telling me about "Poshmark.com", I have A TON of clothes I'm looking at in that Vice style. Jackets, pants, and shoes (I'm good on shirts already). I recently snagged a nice, lightweight,  medium-gray blazer that fits me perfectly for only $27. I'll post pics on my thread here on the board in the near future. I suggest anyone looking for some more vintage clothes to check out that site.

• Thanks 1

That’s great.  Make offers and people accept a lot of the time.  There are some pretty great finds there and being able to filter by sizes saves a lot of time. I found a great pair of Nike Challenge Court Agassi shoes I had been looking for for ages.

On 5/17/2020 at 7:01 AM, Tjc said:

Yea, badge was just for display. I dont know if it would look ok with jeans. I could not do the white pants lol.

Sure you can.  It’s not a big deal.  I was more apprehensive with white shoes but it all worked.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2020 at 6:01 AM, Tjc said:

That combination does look good with jeans. Done it many times myself and gotten compliments every time.

On 5/17/2020 at 8:01 AM, Tjc said:

The jacket & shirt are very dressy so I don't think jeans would be appropriate, in my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/10/2020 at 1:17 PM, Tony55129 said:

I don’t exactly dress like DJ but I’ve borrowed some elements and have gotten both compliments and ppl making fun of me! But I don’t care what ppl think I dress how I want when I want! Very few people dress his style anyway so copying him isn’t a big deal anymore. I’ll also add that girls actually like it while some dudes make fun of it I’ll take compliments from girls over other men:cheers:. Honestly a lot of men hate the idea of wearing a lot of white or light colored anything I get so much crap for white pants from other men because they don’t have the confidence to wear it. Just my two cents and happy to be here! 

2D604130-3568-436C-B584-18874347BA0B.jpeg

I think you pulled it off. However I'm getting more of a Sopranos vibe. :)

• Administrators
9 hours ago, Detective_Crockett said:

I think you pulled it off. However I'm getting more of a Sopranos vibe. :)

I think I called him Sonny Soprano on FB. :) 

• Haha 2

I only dressed like Crockett twice and the first time was at a penn state game and it worked it very well because nobody my age really dresses like that. I was let into a party because they liked my outfit. I was even able to pick myself out on tv at one of the games! The second time I did get a few looks and it was very obvious what they were mocking my outfit but at least it’s a very good conversation starter.

153BE778-E572-4132-BCDF-524ECA155C1C.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That's cool man, If someone said that was Don Johnson in the crowd I'd believe them. :D

I used to walk around in espadrilles even when it was raining which caused some puzzled looks but I was like "Crockett wore them in milk run damnit".

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Vincent Hanna said:

That's cool man, If someone said that was Don Johnson in the crowd I'd believe them. :D

I used to walk around in espadrilles even when it was raining which caused some puzzled looks but I was like "Crockett wore them in milk run damnit".

Sometimes people don’t know the lengths we go to pull off the style. :cool:

• Haha 2

• 9 months later...
On 6/21/2020 at 3:16 PM, Jimmy Cole said:

I only dressed like Crockett twice and the first time was at a penn state game and it worked it very well because nobody my age really dresses like that. I was let into a party because they liked my outfit. I was even able to pick myself out on tv at one of the games! The second time I did get a few looks and it was very obvious what they were mocking my outfit but at least it’s a very good conversation starter.

153BE778-E572-4132-BCDF-524ECA155C1C.jpeg

I love the blue shirt. Were you undercover at the party looking for someone who needed a guy in a fast boat to move a few keys? :)

On 5/18/2020 at 5:45 AM, Lit Up said:

Most of the MV "inspired" stuff today is way more slim fit than MV was. Quite simply, huge baggy slacks looks terrible today. If you wear it to a date, the lady just thinks you are wearing ill-fitting clothes. 

I think DJ clothes went baggier in later seasons (4 and 5). I like the look from S3 as well even if it wasn't pastel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sdiegolo78 said:

I think DJ clothes went baggier in later seasons (4 and 5).

Probably just coincidence, but I think this look went better with his growing sense of cynicism and burnt out view of the system toward the end of the series. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2021 at 2:51 PM, wolfie1996 said:

Wow! I want one of these !!!!!!

You can, as I'm selling mine.  Let me know if interested. 

7 hours ago, Sonny-Burnett said:

You can, as I'm selling mine.  Let me know if interested. 

It's a beauty but I'm too far away in the UK.

I'm right in the middle. I don't like the pants to be too baggy, but at the same time, I've had to throw away at least 3 pairs of pants I've bought recently because even though they *technically* fit, they hug my calves like women's yoga pants, lol. Thankfully I now have 2 pairs of dress pants that have just the right width for me. One's a darker teal green (so closer to Crockett's season 3 color style) and an off white. Pics coming soon.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 8:44 AM, TylerDurden389 said:

hug my calves like women's yoga pants, lol.

No kidding, right? I don't get why young guys nowadays want pants like those. First, they look terrible. Second, they feel like deep sea diving equipment. I've tried on a couple of pairs and literally had to sit down in the dressing room just to peel them off.

• Haha 1