If you could time travel to Miami in 1984/5 What's the first thing you would do?

Detective_Crockett

I guess its not saying much since even freakin' town in this country was a good town....in 1985.  But watching MV on television from Monroe back then was so much fun..it felt like a world away. 

Check this out >

Imagine how incredible that night was!!!  I bet there was more than $25,000 worth of coke snorted in that club that night.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I would go to a concert with Judas Priest and Iron Maiden, who released two of their best records in '84.

More Vice vice: buy some fancy clothes and cruise around. Fast. 

• 4 months later...

Great thread!

Because I would already know the outcome of the games, I would gamble like crazy on the Miami Dolphins (they went 12-4 in 1985).

With all that money, I would open a jai alai fronton/venue.

Later I would do everything I could to get in good with Ted Arison (original owner of the Miami Heat - which started in 1988).

Of course I would wear espadrilles everyday, as well as a linen blazer.

As I posted before on this topic: " Between December 11, 1985 and December 20, 1985 I would hang out between 1435 and 1450 Collins Ave, Miami Beach and meet an interesting person.  :happy:  "

I was living in Miami at the time so I would avoid running into myself because that would cause a rip in the Space/Time Continuum.

54522003_2171258236298104_6715358513222123520_n.thumb.jpg.3b017b4115686ffeac97054417c9afe5.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

• 10 months later...

I know last post was 2018, but I am gonna go ahead and write my brainstormed vice fantasies.

Most likely upon arriving , I would head to Little Havana for a strong morning coffee while I try to figure out what all is gonna go down. Ideally, I would also meet me a cute Latina who wants to stroll South Beach in the afternoon. After grabbing some kinda pastry to go, I would slowly amble to the beach. I would also most likely stop to buy some smokes (even though I don't smoke at all, but hell I just arrived in the 80s when in Miami right? :p) As the afternoon rolls around, I figure I also need a full linen outfit and some espadrilles because one cannot simply stroll South Beach in anything besides linen and silks. Upon meeting my Latina honey, we walk and talk slowly buying snow cones from an iconic neon colored stand. As the Florida heat beats down the evening finally rolls around, and then it is time to spice things up. The honey and I walk into a bar and get a drink. No beer for me of course just a double shot of something dark like Sonny. We would stay and listen to the live band playing some reggae-ton or rock. After dancing the night away (still in my linens and espadrilles), we leave the bar and walk to the most Vice motel we can find (no neon sign=no business obviously) and then you guys can guess the rest. :p

Just a little daydream I'm having sitting here on this chilly Orlando morning! Cheers guys have a Vice day!

defendmiami

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, defendmiami said:

I know last post was 2018, but I am gonna go ahead and write my brainstormed vice fantasies.

Most likely upon arriving , I would head to Little Havana for a strong morning coffee while I try to figure out what all is gonna go down. Ideally, I would also meet me a cute Latina who wants to stroll South Beach in the afternoon. After grabbing some kinda pastry to go, I would slowly amble to the beach. I would also most likely stop to buy some smokes (even though I don't smoke at all, but hell I just arrived in the 80s when in Miami right? :p) As the afternoon rolls around, I figure I also need a full linen outfit and some espadrilles because one cannot simply stroll South Beach in anything besides linen and silks. Upon meeting my Latina honey, we walk and talk slowly buying snow cones from an iconic neon colored stand. As the Florida heat beats down the evening finally rolls around, and then it is time to spice things up. The honey and I walk into a bar and get a drink. No beer for me of course just a double shot of something dark like Sonny. We would stay and listen to the live band playing some reggae-ton or rock. After dancing the night away (still in my linens and espadrilles), we leave the bar and walk to the most Vice motel we can find (no neon sign=no business obviously) and then you guys can guess the rest. :p

Just a little daydream I'm having sitting here on this chilly Orlando morning! Cheers guys have a Vice day!

defendmiami

Fantastic stuff - 

I would have loved to seen Ocean Drive in 1984 or through to 1989 also to go inside The Senator (from “Milk Run”).

• Like 2

I'd give Gina my email address on a piece of paper and tell her to open it in 1994 because it won't make sense until then.  I'd be out of school and ready for life by then.  :)

Edited by IA-SteveB
  • Like 3

I would tell my 4/5 year old self to look forward to the DVDs/Blu Rays, and that getting synthesizers like Jan Hammer’s isn’t impossible. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I'd love to see the cast and crew filming and somehow get permission to follow them around while shooting. And of course view all of the famous locations, lots of sightseeing and also just relax, walk around and take in the beautiful scenery. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, summer84 said:

I'd love to see the cast and crew filming and somehow get permission to follow them around while shooting. And of course view all of the famous locations, lots of sightseeing and also just relax, walk around and take in the beautiful scenery. 

Best to you Summer from the north of Florida.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James said:

Let's see how many people can fit in a DeLorean? :thumbsup:

Hell, I'd ride in the trunk if I could take the trip!  Keep the extra plutonium from rattling around.

• Like 4

The first thing I'd have to do is…push away the cocaine snort that someone will offer me the moment I step into a nightclub.  

When I settle down and stop turning my head to see every hot car (yes, I wrote car, not girl) that slides by, I'd head for a friend's house by bus so I could see the sights (after I push away the cocaine snort that a guy and his girlfriend having a good time waiting at the bus will offer me).

After that, I'd have to beg my friend to take me down to one of the marinas, where the Chalks seaplanes come in off the water, or where the rich do their parties on the yachts.  I've been told by some girlfriends that I look really sharp when I dress in a business suit, so it should be easy to be invited onto one of the party yachts as a harmless guest.  And then I'd reluctantly turn down the offer from a pretty woman on the yacht when she sprinkles a little coke down her cleavage and smiles at me as an invitation.

No kidding, many in Florida wanted to object to the perceptions created by Miami Vice, but those of us who never visited didn't know how bang-on-target the show was about the outrageous cocaine use running through the city at that time.  Vice really was real like that, around the mid-80s.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

- See if I could secure tickets to see the Jacksons on the Victory Tour.

- See Prince in concert.

- See Van Halen in concert.

- See the Terminator in theaters.

- See Rocky 4 in theaters.

- Tell my parents to buy a camcorder and record EVERYTHING that they can (birthdays, holidays, my first day of school, etc...).

• Like 1

Before I went back I'd get all the latest research I could from the Harvard AIDS research project, the latest copy of the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders)-the one where being LGBT isn't labeled as a disorder-and all the latest climate research. Then I'd figure out what stocks to buy and when so that when I went back I could hopefully help prevent a few million unnecessary deaths due to AIDS and transgender people being discriminated against (not likely but worth a shot). Then I'd invest my money as best I could into charitable causes and helping keep the planet from being as messed up as it is now. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Between December 11, 1985 and December 20, 1985 I would hang out between 1435 and 1450 Collins Ave, Miami Beach and meet an interesting person.  :happy:  The crazy thing is I was living and working in Miami at the time, wish I had known then what I know now.

vor 11 Stunden schrieb miamijimf:

Between December 11, 1985 and December 20, 1985 I would hang out between 1435 and 1450 Collins Ave, Miami Beach and meet an interesting person.  :happy:  The crazy thing is I was living and working in Miami at the time, wish I had known then what I know now.

I think many of us would have done things in a different way, if they had known what they know now. Including me. As I had never been in Miami I would like to see everything there, and of course I would like to watch how Miami Vice was made.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/14/2017 at 7:31 AM, James said:

How about - Reach Miami with the sunset, then catch that weeks brand new episode of Miami Vice, then end with a cocktail in a neon bar and bed. :thumbsup:

Or... How about a helicopter tour of Miami, then some water skiing. Just something mellow to start out with. :) And then end with some exciting MV and bed. (jk)