Milk Run Restoration

Metro-Dade Police

Hey y'all,

I took a shot at restoring the flickering airport scene in Season 1 "Milk Run". 

Here is a before/after

ezgif-1-da899c51e00e.gif.ad4e318eff00e33a431257db34800287.gif

And here's the final product. 

Enjoy :cheers:

Edited by Metro-Dade Police
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for the great feedback! It was done using multiple techniques. For those who are interested, I used a plugin called FlickerFree combined with painting and averaging, hence the artefacts in the moving parts. 

Does anybody know what camera they used when filming the slow-mo scenes?

55 minutes ago, Metro-Dade Police said:

Thank you for the great feedback! It was done using multiple techniques. For those who are interested, I used a plugin called FlickerFree combined with painting and averaging, hence the artefacts in the moving parts. 

Does anybody know what camera they used when filming the slow-mo scenes?

I can't tell you for certain, but Panaflex 35 mm cameras were ubiquitous in Hollywood productions from the 70's to 90's.  There were various models during those years.  They can be run at higher speeds to get the slow motion effect when played back at 24 fps.  They could also be run at slower speeds.  That was what was typically done in my experience.  They are quite loud when running at higher speeds and are not able to sync sound while doing so.

2 minutes ago, pahonu said:

I can't tell you for certain, but Panaflex 35 mm cameras were ubiquitous in Hollywood productions from the 70's to 90's.  There were various models during those years.  They can be run at higher speeds to get the slow motion effect when played back at 24 fps.  They could also be run at slower speeds.  That was what was typically done in my experience.  They are quite loud when running at higher speeds and are not able to sync sound while doing so.

Perhaps they used the Panastar which was able to shoot 120fps?

11 hours ago, Metro-Dade Police said:

Perhaps they used the Panastar which was able to shoot 120fps?

I think the Panastar camera was specifically for shooting film without sound.  I don't recall ever seeing one used in my experience, limited as that is.  I do specifically recall the second unit that shot without sound specifically speeding up the fps for slow motion effect but using the Panaflex camera.  There are several of my posts over the years explaining my involvement in the production of Baywatch in the mid to early 90's.  I remember discussing it with C&B a few years back.  That production frequently used slow-motion montage scenes shot by the second unit without sound.  The second unit director I worked with was Fernando Castroman.  I don't recall seeing any other camera than the Panaflex.  The first unit DP I worked with was Jim Pergola and the sound mixer was Hal Whitby.