Echoes - Part XII

Robbie C.

Had a productive writing weekend, so I figured I'd post two parts. Might be a lag after this. Who knows?

Lester was off his crutches now, but Stan still had him working the Roach Coach so he didn't hurt himself or throw his rehab off track. The last thing he wanted was to be responsible for his partner not being ready for full duty on schedule. He'd vowed never to let the team down, and Stan aimed to keep his word.

Remembering advice from Tubbs, he moved the Roach Coach again. They'd been drinking beers one night soon after he and Crockett had come back to Miami, and Rico got started talking about days in Bronx Armed Robbery. “We always knew the getaway cars because they'd have these piles of cigarette butts on the street by the driver's window. Also they'd run the A/C in the summer, and you'd get a puddle of condensation under the car. You could always tell how long it had been sitting there by the size of the lake under the engine.” Ever since that night Stan had made it a point to move first the Bug Van and now the Roach Coach every fifteen minutes or so. Just enough to keep a lake from forming.

Lester sat in the back, headphones clamped over his ears as he rotated through the taps on the Kings' main phone lines. Unlike the Treys they liked to use the phones in businesses and bars they controlled, so they were easy to track. Stan was about to make a wiseass comment when Lester's hand shot up. “I got Hernan!” he said in a voice too loud for the van.

“Move one of those damned things and tell me what you got.” Stan ducked back into the rear compartment and slipped on the second set of headphones. “It's Hernan all right,” he muttered. “I'd know that cheesy Desi Arnez sound-alike anywhere.” He took his voice up an octave. “Hey Nickee! I'm home!”

“Can it, Stan. He's calling a number over in Treys territory.”

“You don't say? Roll tape, my good man.”

“Already rolling, herr director. And this ain't no ten second call.”

“No it's not, Lester my good man. He's in this one for the long haul.” Stan focused, trying to remember enough of his Spanish to puzzle out what they were saying. “Sounds to me like he's giving up the heroin deal.”

“Or parts of it. Sounds more like he's saying screw you vatos. We get it all this month.” Lester turned to Stan and shrugged. “Why would he do that? He got a death wish?”

“Maybe he just wants to yank his cousin's chain. I think that's who he called.” Stan looked at the readout. “Yep. Confirmed. But why rattle cousin Louis' cage? Especially now? Keep an eye on Louis' number. I want to know if he calls anyone as soon as Hernan gets off the damned line.”

Climbing back into the driver's seat, Stan put the Roach Coach into gear and crawled down the street. He was in no hurry, and he didn't want to disturb Lester's reception in any case. He watched the empty sidewalks, not surprised no one was out in the heat of the late afternoon but still wary about bright flashes from garages and sheds. He still snapped awake some nights, hearing the screech of the LAW as it flashed across the alley and slammed into the Bug Van.

But what he couldn't puzzle out was why Hernan would pull such a bone-headed stunt? Why call your damned cousin, who runs with another gang, and brag about something your bunch hadn't even done yet? Maybe there was bad blood between the two the task force didn't know about; in spite of their efforts they still didn't know much about the Dominicans once you got past the surface. Only Tubbs had dealt with them before.

Still, he figured Sonny needed to know. Reaching down, he picked up the van's phone and dialed. “Sonny? Yeah, it's Elvis. Look, Hernan just called his cousin in the Treys and shook that deal in front of his face like a stripper's tits on lap dance night. No, I don't know about that any more. I just heard it's what your mom does with her weekday nights. Anyhow, we're rolling tape now. Figured you'd want a heads-up. Yeah, you'll have it when we roll in. Should be another hour unless you need us sooner. Ok, see you then.” He hung up, still smiling about the mom crack. It was something he wouldn't have done two months ago because it would have required talking to Crockett. But that was behind them now, and he really felt he could trust Sonny both as a boss and a friend. It felt good, and had been a long time coming.

“Got it.” Lester looked up and lowered his voice as soon as he slipped one earphone off. “They're done pissing on each other and it doesn't sound like Louis is gonna let anyone else in on the joke. At least over the phone.”
“Which is normal for that paranoid bunch. I wonder if they use carrier pigeons?”

“Don't give them ideas, Stan. Just don't.”

“Ok, Lester. I won't. And we're gonna head back here in a bit. Just warning you because reception always flakes out around that Channel Six relay tower.”

“Yeah. I'd take it out, but they have that one hot weather girl.”

“The blonde with the legs that don't quit? Yeah, I can see sparing the tower for her sake.” Stan grinned as he made a turn. That was the kind of thing Larry used to say. It was just like old times.

Sonny hung up the phone and looked at Castillo and Rico. “That was Stan. Hernan blew the whole deal to his cousin Louis.” He shook his head. “Dumb ass. What the hell was he thinking?”

“Bragging.” Rico's voice was firm. “Showing his cousin he's a bigger man and can make bigger deals. I doubt his cousin even believes it.”

Castillo looked at Tubbs. “Are you sure?”

“I met with these cats a few times back in the day, lieutenant. They love puffing up like peacocks. It was all display. Who had more gold on? Who brought the hottest chica to the meeting? Who had the most tricked-out El Camino or old Ford? And half of 'em were wearing fake gold, rented the girl, or borrowed someone else's car. Hell, it was almost expected. Louis most likely thinks he's blowing smoke.”

“But these aren't normal times.” Castillo locked eyes with both men.

Sonny shook his head. “We'll go through with the meet as planned. We'll have Randy and Dave close by, Dave on overwatch no less. If Louis or the Treys try anything he'll sniff it out. I'm sure of that.”

“He's right, lieutenant. We can't let this chance slip by. Doc's only gonna stick his head up once, and then he's gone again. Maybe for good.”

Sonny leaned forward. “It's my call, Marty. It's operational, and I think it's worth the risk. I'll be out there leading the way, and if it goes south it's on my head. No one else's.”

“I wasn't disagreeing with the decision. Just pointing out possible consequences.”

“I...”

“It's fine, Sonny. You did what you're supposed to do. And for the right reasons. We can't afford to let Doc go back in his hole. It's a risk, but it's one that's worth running.” Castillo leaned back, and they could see the tiredness in his face. “Sit down with Dave and Randy and plan everything as much as you can. Also check with Switek. He might have some new communication gear that could help. We got some more stuff from the marshals today and one of the boxes was for him.” He paused. “And Dave and Randy got the M-21s. That's where they are now. On the range shooting them in.”

“Solid.” Tubbs smiled wide. “If this was OCB, we'd still be filling out forms to replace the forms they lost from the second request we did for things we needed last week.”

“We succeed. That's what happens when we succeed. If we fail, they will all disappear.”

“Then we can't fail.” Sonny's voice was firm. “It just can't be an option. Unless it's imposed on us from above.”

“Amen to that.” Rico looked out the window and whistled. “Damn. Day's almost gone now.”

“I'll be leaving as soon as Trudy and Mindy are done working on that new intel. I can listen to the tape when Stan and Lester get here. Make sure there's nothing hidden in the Spanish. They're both good, but they aren't fluent. Why don't you two go home? Get some rest. Tomorrow's going to be a hot one.”

“In more ways than one.” Sonny grinned and pushed himself out of the chair. “Why don't you take this back, Marty? I'll run operations out of my office with Rico. It just feels...better that way.”

They were on their way down to the garage when Rico spoke. “He's looking better every day.”

“Yeah. He's healing damned fast. But he's got something besides duty to live for now. Makes all the difference.”

“Yeah. I guess it does.” Rico watched the indicator flash as the elevator passed other floors on the way down. “You going out tonight?”

“Naw. I'm gonna risk the boat. That suite Burnett has is nice, but I sleep better on that damned boat with Elvis dragging his chain around above me.”

“What about Jenny?” Rico shook his head. “And I still haven't heard anything you don't already know. If she's really dirty, she's also really good at hiding it.”

“Yeah. She wants to talk.” He felt the note still in his blazer pocket.

Rico whistled. “Talk? Isn't that the one thing she ain't good at?”

“I don't know. She almost never does it.” Sonny sighed, feeling the weight of the paper and what it could mean. “But there's almost no chance it's good. She's been acting weird the last few times I've seen her. Weird even for her.”

“Now that is not good. You want some company? An awkward wingman?”

Sonny laughed as the doors opened. “No, this is something I gotta do, Rico. If she's even there. That boat's only been gone a couple of days, and the last few trips of hers have been damned near a week.”

The relief Sonny felt when he pulled into the marina lot and saw her slip empty was almost a physical thing, and he sat in the Ferrari for a minute listening to the ticking of the cooling engine and feeling the heat overwhelm the last of the air conditioning. What the hell, man? he chided himself as he got out of the car and trudged down the dock toward the Dance. She's just a girl. It's not like I was about to be jumped by ten Columbian hitmen or anything. But he knew in some ways this was worse. He was starting to care about her.

He tossed Elvis a tuna by way of greeting, and watched as the gator lumbered the two feet to get his dinner and crunched down with evident delight. “Wonder how much longer you go, you old suitcase?” he muttered, reminding himself it was time to hose down both Elvis and his lair in the bow. Maybe it was time to think about putting the big guy out to pasture at a wildlife sanctuary or something. Shaking his head, Sonny went below. “First a beer, then gator shit,” he proclaimed, not caring if Elvis noticed or not.

The pre-meeting briefing kicked off at three, to allow time for Dave to find a good overwatch position and settle in long before any of the players came in stage. The two snipers always insisted on it, and Sonny had adopted the measure as good planning. Even if they weren't using overwatch, it was better to have everything worked out with time to spare when they could.

He was on his way through the outer office when Stan came out and stopped him. “Sonny? You got a second?”

“What?” He saw a quick flash in pain in Stan's eyes and realized his voice had been sharper than he'd intended. “Sorry, Stan. I was being an ass. What's up, big guy?”

“Gina got a call from that Angie yesterday. She wanted me to thank you.”

“You tell her to watch out for Angie. That's one big and determined lady. She'll run you right over you give her half a chance.”

“Yeah. I remember her from the wedding.” Stan shifted from one foot to the other. “But this is something Gina's been complaining about for weeks. Quite a few of the girls they work with are under eighteen, and there's no place they can go. Some of the boys, too. She knows people, but the space has never been there. Until now. She just wanted me to thank you for her.” He paused. “I know this can't have been easy for you.”

“It wasn't until I started thinking about it. It's something Caitlin would have wanted. Might have done if...if things turned out differently.”

“Yeah.” He started to turn. “I just wanted to say thanks.”

“Wait.” Sonny wasn't sure quite what to say, but pushed on. It had been eating at him for weeks and it was time to just get it off his chest. “I'm the one who should be thanking you, Stan.”

“Why?”

“For giving me a second chance. After Larry and all the shit I pulled. I”m the one who should be thanking you.”

Stan looked at him for a moment, and then retreated into the sharp humor Sonny knew he used as his first line of defense. “Who are you and what have you done with Sonny Crockett?”

“Maybe I just grew up a bit. Hell, I don't know. Or too many blows to the head.” He gave Stan a lopsided grin. “There was that explosion a couple of years back and all...”

“Thanks, Sonny. And for what it's worth, I'm glad I did.”

Castillo sat at the head of the table, and Crockett took his usual place with an almost audible sigh of relief. He didn't mind running the operational side of the task force, but it felt good to have dad back in his rightful place at the head of the table. Keeping everything on track. Dave and Randy were in their usual spots, and Mindy and Trudy looked to be going over more intelligence reports. Lester, sporting a cane now instead of crutches, had a fresh stack of surveillance logs, and Tubbs was regaling the table with some tale about the exploits of Teddy Prentiss.

Castillo quieted the table with a look. “Let's get started. Crockett?”

“The meet's still on for 2200. Unless there's been any changes?” Tubbs shook his head. “Good. But stay flexible. Nicky could call and change things at any time. I don't think the little grease stain's that smart, but Hernan might be. My only worry is that they'll change the location. We lose Dave if it's outside his overwatch arc.”

“Do we scrub the meet if they change locations?”

Sonny looked at Castillo. “No. Not unless they demand a big move.”

“You heard the man. If it's a few blocks one way or the other, we stick with it. Across town? We pull. They need us more than we need them, at least that's how they'll see it. So we have some leverage.”

“And I'll use every ounce of it.” Rico grinned. “No way some two-bit chump like Nicky is gonna push Rico Cooper around.”

Dave cleared his throat. “I've got my hide picked out. Old office building about a block over from the park. It's six stories, so I've got visuals on the entire area. That M-21's ready to go, and I'm ranged to six hundred yards. Anything they try, they're mine.”

Lester piped in. “The marshal's office sent us some new communication gear. Hands free mics and earpieces. I don't think we can use the earpieces tonight. They're a bit too obvious. But the mics will let us and Dave listen in on the meeting. You guys can use a code for extraction if it gets too hot.”

Sonny looked at Trudy and Mindy. “Any new and breaking intel?”

“It's been quiet over in Treys turf since last night.” Trudy smiled. “But in Kings-land it's a different story. They've been calling in the troops all day. Lots of chatter about new guns coming in soon, but no real date or time.” She paused. “I think they might be trying to build morale before they close their arms deal with whoever's doing the selling. There's still no chatter about that.”

Mindy took over. “And nothing from Hernan since he went bragging to Louis. We haven't seen any sign Louis reported that talk up his chain, but I don't know that we'd pick up much given the Treys' communications discipline.”

Stan flipped through his notes. “We did a couple of drive-bys with the Roach Coach and dipped into their hand-held frequencies. Mostly routine stuff, although one or two of the boys did mention something about more Ingrams coming in tomorrow.”

“So the basic plan's still solid.” Sonny took control again with practiced ease. “Rico and I will park in the Venice Ballroom lot at around 2145 and walk to the park. That will let Dave get eyes on us and sweep the way in and out. Stan, you and Lester need to have the Roach Coach within a couple of blocks in case you have to relay the transmissions from those mics. You know the system capabilities, so you pick your spot. Just be sure it's someplace you can move from at short notice. Trudy, Mindy. This is a low-hooker zone so we'll have to think of something else to get you close enough to assist if needed.”

“What about the Venice Ballroom entry rope? That place always has a line going almost around the block.”

“Risky. If this takes too long or they're late you might actually get inside. And if you just hang out their security might run you off as working girls.” Sonny turned the problem over in his head. “We might just have to put you two in a car and hope for the best.”

“How controlled is the Venice Ballroom lot?” Mindy looked at the surveillance photos. “We could just hang out toward the back. It's got two exits and good street access.”

“As far as we know it's not controlled at all.” Sonny nodded. “Good idea. Try it on for size. If you have to relocate, go for it.” He looked down the table. “Randy, you're in the parking garage three blocks over with the cash. We could put Mindy and Trudy in there, too, but I'd rather have you separated. Just in case Hernan's smarter than he looks.”

Castillo spoke, his voice soft. “And we can't forget about Doc. It's his Red Cross product, so he might have eyes of his own on the situation. He knows how cops operate, so we have to be different.”

Sonny nodded. “The lieutenant's right. Cops would all be waiting in the garage. That's why we don't do that. We need to be close enough to support each other, but far enough apart that it doesn't look like that's what we're doing. We'll call from the Caddy phone when it's time to move the cash. Stan, you guys might need to pick up Dave if we displace. I think there's a sold chance Hernan will want to do the deal someplace other than the park.”

“You think they'd do that?”

“No, Mindy. I think Hernan might. Nicky's not smart enough. I know he just said they'd call for the product, but it takes time to get there. Hernan might not be comfortable standing in a park looking like he's turning tricks or whatever.” Sonny grinned. “So we have a plan ready just in case. If we move, run loose tails. You'll be able to hear unless something goes wrong with the mics. New stuff is always finicky.”

Stan nodded. “We haven't had a chance to test the little gizmos yet. I know what they should do, but not what they really can do.”

“So be sure at least one of you has us in sight at all times. Use radios and keep transmissions short.” He turned and looked at Castillo. “What did I miss, Marty?”

“Nothing. Excellent plan. But remember this: once the operation starts the plan is just a guide. Things change. Remain fluid. We need to react quickly.” He looked down the table at Rico. “How are you going to play the guns?”

“Hard if I get the opportunity.” Rico smiled. “Cooper would be looking to score more weapons for the boys up north. And if I dangle a big enough finder's fee in front of his face, I think Hernan will bite.”

“Don't forget he's only mid-level in the Kings. Edmundo Salazar is the one who would ultimately make the call.”

“Then I'll lean on him to put me in touch with his boss to make it happen. It's the Kings who need cash.”

Sonny nodded. “We'll push as far as seems warranted in the situation, lieutenant. But at the very least we'll try to keep Hernan open to more contact.” He turned back to the map. “I expect Nicky will bring a goon with him. Burnett scares the piss out of him, so he'd want someone to hold his hand. Also, he's pretending to be a big shot. Hernan I don't know. Rico?”

“The Dominicans like to show how tough they are. For him to bring someone would be admitting weakness.” Rico smiled. “I think he'll come alone. He'd make fun of Nicky for wanting a bodyguard, but I think he'd let the chump bring someone. It's easier to have security when you can blame it on someone else.”

Sonny looked around the table. “Anything else? Good. Showtime in seven hours. Gives Dave time to get into position. Smoke 'em if you got 'em and run through those equipment checks. Especially comms. Stan, can you and Lester give Rico and I a crash-course in those little toys of yours? I at least want to make sure I don't sit on mine and break it.”

Dave left an hour later, and soon after Sonny signed for the buy money, taking it from a thickset deputy marshal wearing wraparound sunglasses and an expression that said he took shit from no one. He handed the case to Randy. “All yours until the exchange. You ready in case some wino wanders by?”

“Cocked and locked, boss. With two extra mags and a sawed off double barrel on the passenger seat to keep me company.”

Rico grinned. “I used to pack one of those. Did I ever tell you about those chumps I made wet their pants back in New York City?”

“Only the last three times we were at Robbie's.” Randy chuckled. “Tell you what, though. After we're done tonight I'll buy you a drink there and you can tell me about it again.”

“Sold!” Rico laughed and slapped Randy on the shoulder.

“If you two girls are done petting, Lester and I have business.” Stan held up two watches. “Yeah, I know. They aren't made by Rolex and didn't come off the wrist of some dead, deposed dictator. But they've got the mics in them and still work like normal watches. I told their tech services folks we need something flashier in our line of work and they said they'd work something up, but for tonight this is what we have.”

Sonny chuckled as Rico grumbled and slipped off his Rolex. “This better go with my damned suit, Switek. I got an image to maintain.”

“So tell him your old watch got repo'd while you were getting the cash together for the deal.” Stan chuckled. “You push here to turn them on. They're voice-activated, and the battery's good for about two hours, which should be enough for tonight. It beeps like a normal watch alarm when you've got thirty minutes left, so plan accordingly and cuss about your lady setting the alarm and not telling you when you turn it off.”

Sonny laughed. “You put some thought into this, Stan.”

“Someone had to.” Stan chuckled. “Actually the alarm bit was Lester's idea. Blame it on the lady, you can distract 'em with some story about said lady and they'll forget about the alarm. At least that's the plan.” His voice got serious again. “They can pick up conversation within about ten feet, which is all we need. Transmission range you don't need to worry about. We'll keep the Roach Coach in range and bounce the feed to the cars and Dave.”

“Good work, guys. You get first pick of the donuts tomorrow morning.” Sonny slid the watch over his hand and clipped it on. It actually looked and felt almost exactly like the Seiko he'd worn in Vietnam, which stirred up more memories than he thought it would. “This will work just fine.”

Rico looked down at his, which resembled a high-end Timex more than anything. “It'll do. Still not in my style code.”

“What can I say? The marshals don't usually work with Rolexes.”

Sonny turned toward the armory. “I'm gonna give the guns a once-over. This should be a simple meet, but like Marty said you never know. And if Doc's watching, we have to be ready.”

The Caddy's yellow headlights guided them through the Miami streets, paving the way to the Venice Ballroom. Sonny looked over at Rico, seeing the determination frozen on his partner's face. The man he'd been drinking with at Robbie's not too long ago was gone, replaced by someone grim...someone he wasn't sure he fully recognized. Of course, he'd been the same way after Caitlin was murdered. Worse, probably. He trusted Rico to get through whatever he needed to get through and do the Job. After all, it was all they both had left.

The line at Venice Beach's door did wrap around the corner, confirming to Sonny once again that all you had to do was put up a big neon sign and people would show up like moths to a bug zapper. “Give 'me bright lights and a cute name and they'll turn out in droves,” he muttered as Rico slid the big car into a spot near the back of the lot.

“Ain't that the truth, partner.” Rico grinned as he shut off the car, the ticking of the engine loud in the sudden silence. “I hear the place ain't even that good. Toilets always backin' up, bartenders pouring weak drinks. You name it. But they got a cool dance floor, so...”

“So the idiots keep comin' and giving us business. I'll be the coke spilled on the floor in the ladies' room in one night is more than our take-home in two weeks.”

“Probably more judging from the hotties waiting to get in.” Rico jerked his chin in the direction of a pair of blondes almost wearing silver glitter dresses bouncing up and down at the velvet rope blocking the door. He looked at Sonny and shook his head. “The doctor's bills ain't worth it.”

“Now how can you say that, Rico? They might be Bible Study teachers on the weekend.” Sonny grinned and then switched his face into Burnett mode. “Almost showtime. We'd better start moving. Turn your watch on when we get to the park.”

The park was one of those failed attempts at 'community improvement' so many city councils figured would fix all the woes of a neighborhood on the cheap. The scattered benches were covered with graffiti, some of which had been half-heartedly painted over by the orange jump suit crew from County lockup. The shrubs were partly managed, but some were turning brown from lack of water. Sonny reached down and activated his watch as he checked the time. “Five minutes.”

Rico nodded, watching the other direction. “I've got movement at the other side of the park. Looks like that shrimp Nicky in his damned pink shirt, some stocky dude who might be Hernan, and...” He cursed under his breath. “That big ape Mikko had following her. Looks like Nicky hired Jimmy for his security.”

“This could get interesting real fast.” Sonny paused. “Let Burnett handle Jimmy, Rico. You stay clear. If anything goes south, we can't risk the deal.”

Nicky was walking fast, out in front like he was the one in charge. “Cooper! My man! You ready to deal?”

“I am.” Rico nodded. “You must be Nicky's boss,” he said to Hernan. “And I know that slab of meat.”

Jimmy started to move when Sonny froze him with a stare. “Don't try it, pal. It'll be the last thing you do.”

Hernan raised his hand. He was short, not quite as tall as Nicky, and had dark eyes that revealed nothing of what went on inside his head. A thin scar ran down one side of his face, and his black hair was slicked back. When he spoke his voice was deeper than Sonny had expected. “Nicky does deals for my people, yes. A middle man, you might say.”

“Solid. Up north we call people like him punks, but to each his own.” Rico grinned. “I understand you have a sample for us?”

“And the cash?”

Rico reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a stack of bills. “Right here.”

“Just stay right there, Jimmy.” Sonny had seen a slight flinch on the part of the big man. “You get too nervous over there and I'll calm you down with a .45.”

“You must be Burnett.” Hernan chuckled. “It seems the stories do not quite do you justice. Nicky, call your dog off. Now.”

“Just chill, Jimmy. Be cool. We got business here.” Nicky babbled, trying to insert himself back into the discussion. “It's all chill now, guys. We can talk business.”

Sonny pulled out a test kit and handed it to Rico. “Here you are, Cooper. He's checkin' the money,” he nodded to Hernan who was using an ultraviolet light on the bills, “so we should check the product.”

“This better be Red Cross. You try slipping some of that Mexican brown in here my people will have issues.”

“Test it yourself. Nicky, give him the product.”

Tubbs slit the bag and dropped a pinch into the tube, closing it and snapping the end to start the testing process. A few shakes later and he smiled. “Solid. If it's all like this it's worth every penny.”

Hernan nodded. “It is. Our supplier takes the brand seriously.” He shot a look at Nicky. “Some fool tried stepping on some a few months back. He paid for his error.”

Rico nodded. “Good business. You ruin a brand it loses value. No way back from that.” He looked around. “So I'm ready to deal if you are.”

“Money's good.” Hernan nodded. “And random serial numbers. You know your business, too.”

“Speaking of which, is this a one-time buy or can we talk longer term relationship? My people need product, and this is some of the best we've seen.”

Hernan chewed on his lower lip. “I will need to see. For now, it is a one time deal. We have certain...obligations.”

Sonny snickered. “Obligations my ass. The way I hear it you guys are in a shooting war with some Columbian whackjobs and need guns pronto.”

“I'm sure Cooper is not interested in local news, Burnett.”

“Oh, but I am. If they have an impact on my business I am. After getting burned by Tio my people insisted we learn about local affairs. It's all a global economy now, right?”

“The affair with the Columbians will soon be over. And then we can talk more business.”

“Fair enough. I'll go back to my car and make the call.”

“Nicky will go with you. I need to call my people as well.”

“Not alone you won't.” Sonny stepped forward. “If he has to take that runt Nicky I'm going with you.”

“Of course.” Hernan smiled thinly. “It's still too early for blind trust. These are troubling times.”

“You want to do the exchange here?”

“Why not? Your people can bring the money to the lot and you walk it here. My people will do the same with the product and Jimmy will carry it here.”

“So that's why you brought the ape along.” Sonny grinned, enjoying the look of rage flashing over Jimmy's square face. “Guess he's gotta be good for something.”

He could feel Jimmy's eyes hot on his back the entire walk to the car, but Sonny made a point of going in front of him. Just to show his total lack of respect for the big man. It was a risk, but he also knew it was something Burnett would do. Hernan moved ahead like he was on a normal walk in the park, looking neither left nor right as he headed down the street to a big town car with blacked-out windows. Opening the passenger side door, he reached in and pulled out a phone receiver. He dialed and spoke a few quick words in Spanish. “They will be here in under five minutes,” he announced after he hung up. “One car with one driver. There will be no surprises, Burnett.”

“Good. If there are, you're the first one to go.”

“I'm well aware of your reputation, as I said. If you can burn down the whole Manolo operation, who am I to draw your wrath?” Hernan smiled, but Sonny didn't trust the look. Something about the guy started those spiders moving on his back again, and he'd be glad when this little dance was over.

“Wise guys don't last too long in this game. Free advice. Next time it might not be free.”

Hernan seemed to turn the words over in his mind, but before he could reply headlights flashed over them as a town car identical to the one parked at the curb turned onto the street. “Our delivery is here,” he said with a smile. “Nicky, get the bags.”

The heroin was packed in two overstuffed gym bags, and Nicky hefted them with what Sonny noticed gratefully was some difficulty. Guess the big guy's more bulk than brawn. Good to know. They headed back to the park in silence, punctuated by Nicky's increasingly labored breathing. In the faint glow from the one of the three functional lights in the park he could see Tubbs and Nicky standing by the benches where they'd met. Nicky was shifting from one foot to the other, and Tubbs had a bag in his left hand.

“Don't just stand there, Nicky,” Rico growled. “Help your friend. He looks like he's about to keel over.”

They did the exchange in record time, Rico counting kilo bundles while Hernan did the same with the cash. Sonny contented himself with glaring at Nicky and Jimmy, while thinking back over what had gone down. It almost seems too easy. Too smooth.

Rico looked up and grinned as he zipped up the second bag. “We're good to go, Hernan. Pleasure doing business with you.”

“I could say the same. It's good to work with professionals.”

“Speaking of which...my people are always looking for new sources for certain weapons that are hard to come by in our neck of the woods. I was wondering if you could do a referral for me? There'd be a finder's fee, of course.”

Hernan's eyes narrowed. “Finder's fee?”

“Say twenty percent of any purchases we make. Maybe thirty if the product's good. All you'd need to do is provide an introduction.”

Sonny could almost see numbers appear over Hernan's head as he did the math. “I'll look into it. But we'd need a payment on top of the percentage if we're putting our reputation on the line for you.”

“Fair enough. Get my pager number from Nicky.” Rico looked at the skinny punk. “You can go now. There's nothing else you need to carry.”

“I'll be in touch.” Hernan shot a look at Nicky, making sure he didn't go too far. “Both about the product and that other business.”

Sonny chuckled. “And Nicky? You'd better use part of your commission to get Jimmy a gym membership. He's a little out of shape to be playing muscle man for you.”

They were partway back to the Caddy before Rico burst out in laughter. “You have no idea how much I wanted to shoot that big chump.”

“I kept poking him for you, partner.” Sonny chuckled, thinking of the man's beady eyes and glare. “Nicky must be scraping the bottom if he had to hire him. I wonder if Mikko gives him freebies?”

“Don't even think that!” Tubbs grimaced. “That fine lady with that grease stain. It's bad enough thinking of her with Jimmy, but pink tux shirt? I think I'd rather see her with Izzy.”

“You'd better get that checked, partner.” Sonny set the bag down with a sigh as Tubbs popped the trunk. “Shit's heavy. Maybe you'd better get me a gym membership.”

“Only after I get one for myself.” Rico hefted the bag in the trunk. “You think he'll bite on the guns?”

“I do. You should have seen his eyes light up when you started talking finder's fees.” Tossing his bag in the trunk, Sonny looked down at his watch. “Ok, people. That's a wrap. We're clear.” He slammed the trunk shut and turned to Rico. “Let's get this stuff locked up and call it a night.”

The debriefing was quick. Dave confirmed they'd been alone at the meeting. “I didn't see any activity until he made that call. The drug car wasn't more than a couple of blocks away, but it wasn't near the park. He was playing it safe.”

Trudy and Mindy nodded. “We didn't see anything, either,” Trudy said, speaking for them both. “And we moved a couple of times to be sure.”

“No chatter anywhere, although they did make a call or two after the meet.” Stan grinned an apology. “We don't have a tap on the car phone, but I can tell when he's using it. We got the call that triggered the heroin drop and there was another one after he left the area. We'll be watching for anything about the guns. And those mics worked just as advertised. We had good reception the whole time, even when they split you two up.”

Lester nodded. “It's radio, so weather and crap like that can mess with it. And if you get near any of those TV towers forget about it. But tonight they did just what they were supposed to.”

Sonny nodded. “Anyone got anything to add? Anything we should change up for next time? No? Then it's goodnight all. Stick with your assignments. And Trudy, be sure to tell Marty everything was fine. I know he wanted to be here.”

“He's tired. He's getting better faster than the doctors expected, but he still wears down fast. They told him he had to stay home tonight.” She grimaced. “Let's just say he wasn't happy about it.”

“He'll be back before we know it. Hell, maybe in time to help us wrap up Hernan if he gives us an in with those arms dealers. Whoever the hell they are.” Sonny looked at the wall clock and yawned. “Almost midnight. Let's shut her down and go home, people. Good work tonight.”

The drive back to the marina was good decompression time, and Sonny made the most of it. Letting the mask of Burnett slide back into its hole and coming back from the hair trigger mode he'd been in since the Caddy rolled to a stop in the Venice Ballroom parking lot. Getting ready for an operation was tough, but sometimes he found coming down after one even harder.

Sometime between when he'd left and now Vellamo had come home. He saw the yacht's distinctive mast profile when he pulled into the lot and suppressed a sigh. If he was lucky she'd already be asleep, but he figured he'd used all of his luck for the evening. Parking the Ferrari, he got out and started down the dock. As he'd expected, he saw a slim figure moving around in Vellamo's stern. Then he heard her voice. “Sonny? Is that you? Did you get my note?”

“I did, darlin'. Just getting back from a job and I'm wiped. When did you tie up?” He wanted to keep walking. Neededto keep walking. But he knew if he did she'd likely make a scene. And he didn't need that kind of attention.

“Two hours ago.” She paused, and he could see the moonlight highlighting her hair as she stood there in her trademark white shirt. Absently he wondered if she was wearing anything under it. “Can we talk?”

“I'm not good company right now, but I suppose so.” He turned and started up the narrow gangplank. He didn't want her on the St Vitus for whatever was going to happen.

“I'm sorry.” He could tell she was agitated. Her hands shook, and she started below, changed her mind, and then changed back. “Let's go below. It's better there.”

“What's wrong? You seem nervous.”

“You know how we don't talk? That's how I like it. It makes it simple. Less complicated. When people talk it's usually bad.” She sat down, letting the shirt fall open. She wasn't wearing anything under it, but seemed totally unaware of her nakedness. Or she was totally aware and using it to distract him.

Sonny's senses went on full alert, though he kept his voice neutral. “Yeah. I'm not one to pry, so I don't ask unless you tell me.”

“I think I might need your help.” She looked up at him. “I don't know what you do, and I don't want to know. But you have guns, so it must be serious. I might be in trouble.”

Here we go! Sonny sat down, focusing on her eyes instead of her trim, muscled body. It wasn't easy, especially when she moved closer on the narrow saloon settee. “What kind of trouble?”

“I...I'm in transport.” She giggled, resting her hand on his thigh. “Well, that sounds too fancy. I move things for people. Things they don't want found. Not drugs or anything. I'm not crazy. More like paintings. Vases. Fancy stuff.”

“You mean stolen fancy stuff.”

“I don't ask. They don't say. It's simple. Less complicated.”

“I get it. You like simple.” He felt her warmth through his linen slacks. She's damned good at this, and she either knows she's doing it or she's a natural. “But what's that got to do with me? I ain't simple.”

“No. You're not. I know that. You're complicated. I can see it in your eyes. So many things going at the same time. I don't know how you do it.”

No, you don't know how I can't look down at that body. “So what's your problem?”

“I used to work with a guy. Ok, he used to be my boyfriend. Back in school. Anyhow, he's kind of in the same business. Except he moves other things. Sometimes drugs, I think. I know his friends do. Anyhow, I left him in Lauderdale and came down here. Trying to start over.” She looked down, maybe aware for the first time her shirt was open but doing nothing about it. “He beat me a couple of times. When I wanted to know what he was moving. We each had boats, and he'd wanted me to help him a couple of times. I said no, and he smacked me around. That's when I knew I had to leave.”

“And he found you again.” Sonny nodded. It was the same old story, falling into place before his eyes. Like Callie except it's a smuggling boyfriend instead of a dealer. But it still doesn't feel quite the same.

“I think so. I saw him when I was out the time before this. Not 'saw' him, but ran into him at one of the docks. He just smiled and said 'Miami.' That was all. So yes, I think he knows.”

“And you want me to do what?”

“I don't know!” Her voice jumped, and then she calmed down. “I'm sorry. I'm just scared. And alone. I didn't know who else to turn to.”

“It's ok.” Against his better judgement he slipped his arm around her shoulders and felt her melt against him. “I'm just trying to figure out where I stand in all this.”

“Wherever you want to stand, Sonny.” She pressed her face into the shoulder of his blazer. “I...I like you. I really do. I wanted this to just be one of those things, but I can't do it. I can't keep it simple, no matter how hard I try.”

“Sometimes life ain't simple, darlin'. No matter how much we want it to be.” Her hair was soft under his fingers, and he could feel her firm breasts through his jacket. And I can't tell if I'm being played. The damned spiders aren't dancing, which is a good sign. But this girl's either really good at this or she's as big a hot mess as she seems. “I can't make any promises, but I can have some friends look into this ex-boyfriend. He might just be a punk who talks big and likes to smack women around. If that's the case I can have someone sort him out. If it's bigger...we'll figure that out when we get there.” He regretted the words as soon as they'd left his mouth. She'd suckered him into her world, and he'd walked in with his damned eyes wide open.

“Thank you, Sonny.” She smiled up at him, and he could see that familiar light in her eyes. “That's more than I expected.” She grabbed his shoulders, pulling him down to her. “And now I need something simple.”

He'd come to expect suddenness with her, but the raw passion this time took him by surprise. It was like she'd been saving up for weeks and then unleashed it all on him in a single wave. Maybe in a way she had. It was clear she'd been building up her courage to talk to him about this, and now her relief was coming out. Or maybe it was something more. But her need didn't leave him time to think. It barely left him time to get his clothes off without them being torn off by her strong fingers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vicegirl85 said:

Yikes!  You can't stop here!

My sentiments exactly!!! :)

Edited by mjcmmv