Echoes - Part XIV

Robbie C.

The conference room was notable for its silence the next morning. Sonny, Randy, and Castillo grinned at each other, noticing the rest of the task force was wearing sunglasses inside and nursing steaming cups of coffee washed down with aspirin. Even Trudy looked a bit worse for wear, the result Randy whispered to Sonny of trading shots of tequila with Gina in the aftermath of the proposal.

Castillo nodded to Sonny with a thin smile on his face. “Ok, people,” Sonny announced in a voice that was much quieter than it sounded, “we got a couple of announcements. First, I want to congratulate Stan again on taking the big leap. Let me know when you get the date planned, pal. Because the wedding's on me.”

“What?” The sunglasses almost fell off Stan's face. “But...”

“It's the least I can do for both of you. Hell, Caitlin left me pretty well set, and she loved that New Zealand trip Gina picked out so much I figured this was a great way to thank her, and to thank you for not knocking my block off when I came back to Miami.” Left unsaid was his own guilt about events long passed, both with Gina and Stan. He'd be setting up an endowment to run the house soon, and that would tie quite a bit of the money up for years to come. Might as well use it for some more local good while he could.

“And that brings me to the second social announcement.” He turned to Rico. “I got some news about Debbie.” He smiled as Rico's jaw fell open and Mindy shot him a glare that could be seen though the dark lenses. “She thinks Dave is sweet.”

“Shit!” Dave's coffee up hit the table with a crash, sending dregs over the front of his shirt. “How the hell did you come up with that shit?”

“She told me, big guy. When I was on my way out the door. And Tubbs there is such a great detective he's got her number ready for you already. Go ahead and give him that valuable intel, Rico.”

Rico snicked as he reached into his jacket. “She is really sweet, Dave. Ow!” He grabbed his shoulder in response to Mindy slugging him in the bicep. “We went out once! For a drink! I never called her again.”
“In all fairness to Tubbs, he really didn't even call her again.” Sonny waited for the noise to die down before turning back to the map. “And now that we've had our fun, let's get back to what pays the bills. Still no word from Hernan or Nicky?” He hid another grin as Tubbs shook his head, then winced at the movement. “We'll give 'em a few hours and then we need to push. We might want to see if the lab can get any prints off any of those kilos of Red Cross. I'm sure half the city touched it at some point, or it's been wiped clean, but we might get lucky. And on a related front, I got some info from an informant last night that should up our stock value with the Coasties. A mid-level runner they've been looking for. I got two of his favorite routes and refueling points. So if we need anything maritime, they should be more than happy to oblige.”

Castillo cleared his throat. “We need to move on the link to the guns with care. I know ATF is working some leads in that area, but they're less than forthcoming, as usual. Still, we can't let more guns hit the streets. Not if they're linked to Doc and Red Cross in any way. Metro-Dade's happy with the slowdown in fatalities in the Treys' territory, but they are getting nervous with the Kings.”

Rico popped another aspirin and chased it with cold coffee. “I'll push hard on Hernan and Nicky, but I also need to bounce back by and see if that chump bartender at the Hilton has anything. Teddy might prove useful down the line, since I don't think Doc will bite at Cooper.”

Castillo nodded. “If he was interested he would have by now. I think Cooper's profile's too big for him. So Prentiss might be just what we need.”

“Just what the doctor ordered.” Stan chuckled and then looked around. “Ok, not one of my better efforts. What can I say? I'm hungover and newly engaged. Set me up in some blue suede shoes and I'll shuffle off to Graceland.”

“Word of advice, Stan. Just because Heartbreak Hotel has a honeymoon suite doesn't mean you should take Gina there on the honeymoon.” Rico started to chuckle, then rubbed his temples and thought better of it. “She'd drop you off at the end of Lonely Street in two seconds flat.”

“Who knew Ricardo Tubbs knew Elvis?”

“You sing it so damned much how could I not?” Tubbs chuckled.

“Stan and Lester, I need you two to go through the tapes from last night and this morning. See if anything tracks about Cooper and the guns. Dave and Randy, you might think about some more range time with those M-21s. If this turns nasty we're gonna need firepower. Tubbs and I will be doing the same with our pistols, and I'd encourage everyone else to do the same. We're got four pissed-off gangs, an unidentified arms dealer, and an equally unidentified major dealer running around, and that doesn't even touch the hangers-on and wannabes who come out for these things. We need to be at the top of our game.” Sonny looked around, then nodded to Castillo. “Anything else, captain?”

“You hit the big points. Stay sharp, and stay cautious.”

Sonny poured himself a cup of Stan's coffee and waited until the others had shuffled away before heading into the office he and Rico shared. Castillo was making phone calls, and he didn't want to be within fifty feet of that damned fax machine unless there was no avoiding it.

Rico looked up from his desk, and Sonny could tell he was still squinting behind the sunglasses. “Where'd you duck off to last night? Never mind. Jenny, right?”

“Yeah. That dealer's her ex. He'd been threatening her, so I figured I'd just pull him out of circulation.”

“That ain't all there is to it. I know you, partner.”

“Ok, pal. I tell you, but then you tell me about Mindy. I know you, too.” Sonny sipped the hot coffee and looked up at the ceiling. “It's real, Rico. She's giving up smuggling. The whole thing.”

“You believe her?”

“Yeah, I do. It's strange as hell. I mean, she talks like a hippie most of the time. But she's serious. It was her idea. And she still doesn't want to know what I do. But yeah, it's real. Robbie and I talked about that before he left. He reminded me that sometimes you just know. I knew it with Caitlin, and now I know it with Jenny,”

“So when do I get to meet her?”

“After you tell me about Jenny. A deal's a deal, partner.”

“Hell, yeah I guess it is. We just started talking and hit it off. She's from Boston, so she gets the big city stuff. Art, music. Hell, she knows Bird and The Sound.”

“You lost me.”

“Charlie Parker and Stan Getz. The two best cats who ever touched a saxophone. It was nice, man. We just talked. Well...drank more than we should have. But mostly just talked. And gave Stan hell when he broke into some Elvis tune just before we left.”

“She's good people, that's for sure. And she might be a better shot than you are. With that Irish temper I'd tread carefully, amigo.”

“You got that right.” Rico smiled. “I still can't get over it, though. Stan and Gina. I wonder how long he'd been working up the nerve?”

“Probably by the fourth shot. He was puttin' them down over there.”

“And you're footing the bill.”

Sonny looked out the window. “I owe them both, Rico. More than I can ever repay. And that money's just sitting there. I don't spend on myself. But if I can use it to make good memories for my friends, or help some kids get a better chance at life, I'm gonna do it.”

“She's proud of you, man.” Rico laid his hand on Sonny's forearm. “I know that. She was a classy lady.”

“You know Jenny said the same thing. She saw her picture on the Dance and the ring. All she said was how beautiful she was and how I must miss her. Not an ounce of jealousy. Never seen anything like it. Except with Cait.” He shook his head, sending the memories back to their corner for now. “You wanna hit the range before trying to lean on Nicky and Hernan or after?”

“I'll wait until my head doesn't feel like a hydrogen bomb test is stuck on infinite replay, thank you very much.”

“That would be after, then, I'm guessing.” Sonny chuckled and walked over to drop the blinds. “I'll leave you to your recovery. God knows I've been there too damned many times myself.”

The field phone jangled, and Carlos picked it up on the first ring. “Go.”

“Got what you wanted, boss.” Juan had a soft voice, not harsh like Leo's at all. He'd done a stint spinning platters for an underground station in Detroit back in the day, and he knew how to use his pipes. Sometimes Carlos would call just to hear him talk. “Prentiss is the real deal. Got contacts up and down the coast and as far out as Jamaica some of the other islands. All small dealers, though. He don't go over ten keys of anything, and hasn't for at least five years. He's a broker pretty much. Lines up product with other dealers and arranges transport. A party guy, but keeps his hands clean and profile low.”

“Any bad words?”

“None that I heard. A couple of the islands cats were pissed he wouldn't run coke no more, or didn't broker more weight, but this Prentiss told them to screw off.”

Carlos nodded. “Sounds like a cat we can do business with.” He was about to ask something else when the other phone rang. “And that's Leo. Good work, Juan. You know how to contact him? Be ready to, or find out how if you don't.” He hung up the first phone and picked up the second. “Go.”

“Just got word from Jimmy's little Asian piece. The call's goin' out to Cooper this afternoon. Nicky's all jacked up because they want him to go with. He thinks it's his big break or some shit.”

“Good. Be sure Hernan doesn't go.”

“Already in the works, boss. I don't expect the actual meet will go down until tomorrow, but I got plans for both.”

“Good work, Leo. As always.”

Done with the phones, Carlos shifted in his chair, feeling that old Colt pinch at his midsection like it always did. It was a good reminder of where he came from, and what it took to stay where he was. Maybe he'd come to depend a little too much on Leo to do the heavy lifting for him. But Carlos also knew Hernan wasn't a target worthy of his time. Or energy. One would appear soon enough, and then he'd put that old automatic to good use. Maybe once it came time to shift the focus of the operation away from Miami. What Juan had said about this Prentiss opened new doors for Carlos. New, safer doors.

The slide locked back on Rico's Walther, but this time he noticed and didn't keep trying to squeeze the trigger from muscle memory. All those years with a revolver left him with habits to unlearn and new processes to master.

Looking at the next bench, he saw Sonny doing a speed reload with his big 4506, hitting the slide release with a practiced motion of his off-hand thumb and continuing to shoot. “You gotta be smooth before you can be fast,” Rico repeated to himself as he dumped his empty magazine and slammed home a loaded one, hitting the release with his free thumb and bringing the pistol up in a two-handed stance. It was getting there. He'd put maybe five hundred rounds through the Walther since he'd up-gunned, and it was starting to become a part of him. Not an extension like the little Chief's Special, but it was getting there.

Further down the range he head a string of rapid booms as Dave and Randy worked through some kind of reaction drill with their semi-auto rifles. They'd been at it since the morning meeting, hangover and all on Dave's part, and he figured they'd be at it after the sun went down. Night shooting was a big part of some of their drills, and Rico decided he'd see if the wanted company one of those nights.

Mindy and Trudy were shooting on the other side of Sonny, and further down Castillo's big Magnum punctuated events with its deeper roar. Mindy held her .45 like she'd been born with it, but Rico was more taken with her form in her jeans and the way the wind caressed her thick red hair. Shaking his head, he sent another pair of rounds downrange in a controlled pattern. First it had been single shots, then once he was hitting where he wanted he worked up to two. The next step was three. After that he figured he'd just be spraying cover fire.

His last shot went wide when the pager on his belt vibrated. “Damn it!” Flipping on the safety, he set the hot Walther down and checked the small screen. It was Nicky's number. Looking over, he gave Sonny a thumbs up and cleared and secured his pistol. He'd clean it back at the office. After he called Nicky or whoever was using his phone.

“It's on, man!” Nicky sounded high, like he was riding two rails of coke into a long, dark tunnel with his eyes for headlamps.

“What's on? You're making no sense and pissing me off.”

“The deal.” Nicky repeated the word, drawing it out. “D-E-A-L, man. Not today, though. Too late. They got stuff to do. But tomorrow. You meet me outside Rizzo's. Burnett can come too, so long as he doesn't kill me. The Kings got me closing the deal for them. Me! And you get in, too. Hernan said there was a finder's fee. Bring that along. You won't believe the gats these guys have. Top shelf. For extra they grind the numbers off and everything.” His words were tripping over each other in their haste to escape his mouth.

“What time, chump? Tomorrow...what time?”

“Noon, man. High noon. You get it? Like that bad Western my dad made me watch. But this is better. Better guns. Don't forget the finder's fee.”

Rico stared at the buzzing handset like it was about to bite him.

“What the hell was that?” Stan came out of the tech room with a confused grin on his face.

“That was Nicky Fuentes on WAY too much blow telling me about the deal tomorrow.” Rico hung up, still hearing the rapid-fire voice in his ear. “Let the others know, will you, Stan? I gotta clean my pistol and then we'd better start planning. We don't have much time.”

Two hours later Rico reached down and shut off the tape. “That's all we know. Nicky's gerbil head was about to explode, so I couldn't really dig anything out. And calling him back's a waste of time.”

Castillo nodded. “The finder's fee?”

Sonny looked at his notebook. “We never gave a price. Back when I was working Kern five grand was considered fair.”

“Draw it. We have it in the office safe.”

Rico nodded. “He didn't care if Sonny came along, which is good as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather share the target than carry it alone.”

“And no clue where the real meet is.” Randy looked down. “Shit. We can set up on the fly, but I'd rather be in position before the curtain goes up.”

“I'd like nothing better. But we ain't callin' the shots right now. That coke'd-up little weasel is.”

Lester lifted his chipped cast. “We might be able to help there. If we use those mics again we can hear where the meet is and try to get Dave and Randy in close ahead of you. We'd have to watch for the arms dealers, but it could buy you ten or fifteen minutes. Maybe half an hour depending.”

“One minute is better than no minutes.” Dave tapped his finger on the table. “Sold.”

“What if they check for wires?” Trudy's eyes showed her concern.

Rico shook his head. “These clowns haven't even patted us down for guns, let alone wires. Hell, I could carry a briefcase nuke right up to them and they wouldn't notice.”

Sonny nodded. “It's a risk, but I think we have to take it. If we're blown, we can still grab them and try to sweat the deal location out of them.”

Castillo nodded, and Rico was glad he was backing the plan. “Do it. They'll do the buy out of town. Probably in the swamps. So the real deal goes down about two.”

“How do you figure?” Mindy turned to Castillo.

“Fewer eyes. If these arms dealers are local, they're probably at least part white supremacist. They kinda have a corner on this market. And those boys like their gators and their swamps.” Rico realized he'd answered for Castillo and shook his head. “At least that's how this New York boy sees it.”

“You're right, Rico. Holmes was just a bigger version of the smaller gangs.” He looked at Stan.

“Nothing, lieu...I mean captain. There's nothing on their taps except calls to some two-bit wire service betting on the Steelers.” Stan chuckled. “Holmes does as well as I did when I was still...doing that. Which means he's losing.”

“Do we know if ATF's operating around here?” Sonny looked at Castillo and then shot Rico a look.

“Yeah. I don't want to end up buying from one of their people and have to deal with that crap again.”

“ATF is still refusing to confirm any operations.” Castillo's eyes swept the table. “But I made some calls. There is every indication they're planning some kind of raid tomorrow. No one outside the agency knows where, though. They've cut Metro-Dade out of the loop.”

Dave laughed. “And if the Feebs know they'll forget who knew it until after we bust up the show. Then they'll claim we ruined months of precision undercover work that had them the length of J. Edgar's junk from shutting down the entire illegal arms business in the whole Southeast.”

“You know them too well.” Rico laughed, liking Dave's oddball sense of humor more and more each day. Having met his nephew, he understood the man's bitterness against the agency he felt had betrayed his brother and abandoned his family.

“Still, we need to be alert.” Castillo looked down at the table. “ATF might be out there somewhere with firepower and warrants and not really know how to use either one. Sonny. Rico. Have your badges handy. The marshals' badges. That will make them think twice.”

Sonny looked at Castillo and stepped in. Taking operational control of the plan Rico had sketched for them. “Comms check at 0900, weapons at 0930. We'll run through exact assignments again just before we roll. Rico and I will head to Rizzo's at 1130. The rest of you should stagger around that. We'll want some kind of rolling surveillance unit we get close to wherever the meet is.”

Stan spoke up. “We can run that from the Roach Coach. The mics will show up on the map if we're close enough, and if we're not we can still direct traffic and run comms.”

Castillo looked up, and his voice was not open for debate. “I will be in the field on this one. In the Roach Coach so I don't slow anyone down. And so I can call in back-up if it's needed.”

Dave nodded, shooting a meaningful glance at Sonny. “Good call, captain. I got a feeling about this one. You getting it too, boss?”

Rico felt his heartbeat climb when he saw Sonny nod. Then he decided. “Let's make it an early night. A quiet one.”

Sonny nodded. “You got that right. See you all tomorrow morning. Bright and early. Coffee's on Stan, I'll bring the donuts.”

Rico was on his way to the elevator when Mindy stopped him. “Rico? About last night. I...”

“I had a great time, Mindy. Really. It was nice to just sit and talk about music and that.” He smiled. “Sonny...well...let's just say the first time I saw his tape collection I thought he'd ordered it from Sears.”

She giggled, a musical sound he thought he could really get used to hearing. “Good. I...”

“After things slow down, I'd like to take you to a club. A real club. Where they play jazz. We can have a drink or two. Talk. Maybe dance.” He did a few steps and spun. “I actually can dance.”

“So can I.” She smiled. “I'd like that Rico. Really. And then...”

“What happens, happens.” Rico smiled, wanting to touch her but deciding to take it slow. Turning, he saw Sonny waiting by the elevator with a big grin on his face. As soon as the doors closed, he sighed. “Don't say it.”

“Just let it roollll.” Sonny laughed. “Hell, it worked for me. Maybe it'll work for you.”

“She's a smart lady. Even if it don't roll that way I'm good with it.” He watched the floor lights flash past. “You really got a feeling about tomorrow?”

Sonny's expression changed. “Yeah. Not sure what or why, but I do. Nicky's a punk why would they send him?”

“He's just carrying money. And you can bet some Kings will be along for the ride.”

“I know, man. I know. It all makes sense, but...” Sonny tapped the back of his neck. “Something here just says it ain't quite right is all.”

“Is that damned thing ever wrong?” The elevator ground to a halt, and Rico stepped out into the dim garage.

“Not often, Rico.” Sonny's smile was thin, almost sad. “Not very damned often.”

She was waiting for him on the St. Vitus Dance, but sitting in the stern instead of breaking in. The blue silk shirt was buttoned most of the way, but he doubted she had anything under it. “I wanted to wait for you,” she explained, standing and kissing him on the lips. “So you could let me in properly.”

“Thanks.” He kissed her back and led the way below. “I took care of that problem for you. Another day or two and you shouldn't have to worry about anything.”

“What if he makes it here?”

“I can handle him.” Sonny shrugged off his blazer, the Smith & Wesson glittering in the brown leather shoulder rig. “You don't need to worry about that.”

“But I don't want you to get in trouble!”

“If he comes after us, there won't be any trouble.” He smiled, watching her eyes soften. “Trust me.”

“I do.” She walked over to him, undoing the first three buttons on the shirt. “I've waited so long to say that.”

“Let me make dinner. I've got some steak that's in danger of going bad, and Elvis...”

“I fed Elvis before you came home.” She smiled, sitting down and showing her long legs to their best advantage. “But I am hungry. I spent most of the day restoring Vellamo.”

“Restoring?” He lit the propane burners and set about getting the steak ready.

“Taking out the compartments. I had no deliveries to make, so that was easy. There's still one or two I need to do, but soon she'll be what she should have been all along.”

“What's that?”

“A pleasant retreat.” She smiled, her eyes taking on a distant quality. “A place to hear the sea speak. Carrying its word on the waves.”

She sounds like Marty. “I know a guy you should meet.” He raised his hand when her eyes went wide. “Nothing like that, Jenny. He's a good friend. And very much in love with someone. He...talks like you sometimes. About the sea, I mean.”

“He's a poet?”

“More a warrior, I think. But yeah. Kind of that Japanese warrior-poet thing. He lives in this house...you'd have to see it, but it's down by the water. Some nights he just sits and listens to the sea. Trudy, that's his...I don't really know how to say it. The Vietnamese have a term. It means true love and it fits them perfectly. Anyhow, I think she listens with him, now.”

“You envy them.” It wasn't a question.

“I guess I do. Is it that obvious?”

“No, but it makes you sad.” She smiled. “You don't need to be sad, Sonny. Not now.”

He turned back to the steaks, adding them to the now-hot pan. The sizzle and smell of frying meat filled the boat. It was all so strange. And so fast. With tomorrow coming up fast he didn't want to think too much. He just wanted to be with her. Maybe just sitting and watching the sun set.

“After we eat, would you like to take Vellamo out? She's rigged and ready. We could watch the moon rise and...” She smiled. “Be with the sea.”

“That sounds like a damned good idea.” He watched the steaks with a practiced eye, adding potatoes and diced onion to fry in the rendering fat. “Got a busy day tomorrow, so the less thinking I do the better.” He turned to her and smiled. “Plus I'd get to see you sail.”

“I put shorts on for that.” She actually blushed. “I had an accident with one of the lines once. It...wasn't fun. Usually a top, too. But once it gets dark...”

Funny how the world works. The girl Rico wants to date talks jazz and art. Mine talks about taking her clothes off and how the sea talks. Sonny pulled plates off the rack and shut off the cook top. “Dinner's ready. We can eat and then head over to your place. I've got a shirt I can pull on over this.” He pointed to the gun.

“I'd let you wear mine but it might not fit.” She giggled. “And I'd get in trouble from Mrs. Sternkowcz down the way.”

“That old hag? Just tell her you'll tell old Emil about her and the pool boy. She'll butt out.” Sonny chuckled as she laughed. “I like Domingo. He's a good kid. Lousy taste in women, though. But she likes Emil's money. She won't risk losing that.”

True to her word she pulled on a pair of almost-invisible cut-offs, making Sonny wonder just exactly what this accident had been and why he hadn't seen the scars, and then she had him cast off. They maneuvered away under auxiliary power, but once they were clear she shut off the motor and hoisted the sails.

Sonny fancied himself a reasonable sailor. Not gifted, but competent enough. Jenny put him in the shade. She handled Vellamo with grace and poise, cutting through the choppy water with no effort and keeping just enough canvas on to make headway without showing off or risking control. And she laughed the whole time she was doing it, moving from the lines to the wheel and back again like a dancer on a stage. And once they were clear of the marina the shirt disappeared. It was just her, the shorts, the wheel, and the lines.

Soon she lowered sail and let Vellamo ride under minimal power, almost drifting with the current. Then she hooked the wheel, keeping the ship on course. Only then did she sink back in the cushions and sigh. “I love doing that.”

“And I could watch you do that forever.” It reminded him of Caitlin in the studio, going over a song until it was just so. Watching her move with the music. But this was different. He understood the tune she had out here. Caitlin's, no matter how hard he tried, was always something of a mystery. Jenny's tune he understood perfectly. “You handle her like she was made for you.”

“Maybe...” Then she smiled.

“Maybe what?”

“I'll tell you later.” She slipped off her shorts. “Now we can watch the stars.”

“Do you think you should go in the field tomorrow?”

Castillo had been waiting for the question. It had hung over the table while they ate, and dogged their steps as they walked the beach. He noticed a new mast out there and wondered. But he couldn't shake the question. It finally came as they sat on the deck, letting the night envelop them. “I don't have a choice.”

“But you do, Marty.” Trudy's voice was soft, but he could feel the worry in her eyes like a physical thing. “Sonny's got this.”

“I need to be there if they need back-up. Don't worry. I won't be running through any swamps. I'll stay in the van unless there's no other way.” He reached over and touched her arm. “And I have to know if I can still do this. Even this little part of it. If I can't I need to make room for someone who can.”

“I know all that, Marty. I really do. It's just...” She sighed. “I'm sorry.”

“Don't be sorry. You're right to worry, my love. I'm not a reckless man. Not by nature. And with Stan getting married, I have to keep him steady. His world is about to change, and I don't think he knows how much.”

“I know.” She smiled, and he could sense her gratitude for the change. But everything he said was true. He'd take no chances that weren't necessary. He had too much to lose now. “She was so happy. Is so happy. I talked to her today and all she could do was gush. And Sonny!”

“He feels he has to make amends to them both. Maybe he does, but only he can answer that. But he also knows how hard it is to marry on a cop's pay. This way he starts them off with good memories and no debt for them. It's a rare gift.”

“What was your marriage like?”

He'd wondered when this would come. But he didn't fear it. Not anymore. “Simple. Not even legal by U.S. standards. We didn't go to the Consulate. It was just a simple ritual in the forest. They had a feast, there was singing, dancing. Offerings to the gods. And then it was over and they all went back to their fields.”

She laughed. “I don't know what I'd expected, but that sounds like a family reunion in my old neighborhood.”

“They are similar. Marriages there often signify unions of clans or combinations of power. Marrying for love isn't the rule in many clans. And it's often done in the mother's line.”

“Marty...” He voice trailed off, lost in the echoing waves.

“We can do whatever you like, my love.” The operation, Doc, Tech 9s, everything but her deep brown eyes vanished from Martin's consciousness. “I am bound to you forever, unless you wish otherwise. We can be formal, or not. Simple, or not. Or just be as we are. I want you to be happy.”

“And I'm bound to you. I can't explain it, and I don't want to.” She paused. “It's just...”

“The way we were raised. I have dim memories of a small church in the Cuban mountains. The cross. A priest in black robes who rode a mule. But some of that was pushed away by what I experienced in the world. More disappeared in the Laotian and Thai mountains. Another piece vanished when Father Wajda was murdered. But I share my life with you, and if you want a service, that's important to me.”

“I...I don't know yet. I'm sorry.”

“Don't be sorry, Trudy. We have time.” He stood and kissed her, feeling her rise into his arms. “We'll finish this operation and then we can see which path calls to us.” He ran his fingers through her hair, feeling her strength return. Her sadness fade. “And I apologize. I forgot what this could mean to you.”

“I'll be fine. And you're right, we have plenty of time to decide. It's just...with all this going on...”

“Let's go inside and have some tea, my love. I'd love to hear that piece you've been working on.” He smiled. “I wrote a poem to go with it.”

“A poem?”

“I dabble. Jack was a gifted poet and he helped me find what little voice I have when we were working with the Hmong in 1969.” He smiled. “It was either write poems or kill rats. The Hmong preferred killing the rats, so there we were.”

She smiled, and he saw the joy return to her eyes. “What's it about?”

“The sea. The mountains. You. All the good things in life.” He turned, taking her hand. “I'll start the water.”

• Like 2