FerrariCrockett

Hello all! I haven't created a thread since back in the old .org days, so I'm sorry if this topic isn't in the right place. If not, I apologize.

But I was searching online randomly and came across an interview Don Johnson did in 2014 with Rolling Stone. I'm sure many of you all on this site have read it.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-news/the-sky-started-raining-panties-don-johnson-on-30-years-of-miami-vice-65016/

Anyway, DJ says that for years, he hadn't even entertained the idea of reprising the role of Crockett, but at the time of the interview, he had started to consider it. He also mentioned that the ideas he had would be good to bridge the gap and also be ideal for streaming/binge watching. With all of that in mind, I was wondering....if the show were to be picked up by a streaming service and continued with the original actors, where would the show be able to go? What territory would be covered that maybe wouldn't have been possible during the original series' run? 

I personally think that the show ended on a perfect note. So I wonder what storylines and character arcs could be implemented to continue the legacy without possibly tarnishing it. 

Regardless, I thought the prospect of DJ being interested in reprising the role (albeit being almost five years ago since the interview) was interesting, to say the least. 

• Like 1

From time to time DJ says hes not interested. From time to time hes interested. Is it only me who think he doesnt wants a reboot  but he wouldnt like another actor to step into crockett's spadrilles? Same to PMT?

It does make you wonder...

Although realistically, if Universal (or whoever may own the rights these days) wanted to do a reboot, and could successfully peddle the idea to a broadcast or cable network, I can't imagine that what DJ or PMT wanted to do or not do would factor into the equation--or that their feelings would enter into a decision to pick it up or not to do so.

If it was perceived by Universal, etc., as a viable idea, it would go forward regardless of DJ.  And while he and PMT look good and are still active, I don't think they would be believable as stars of something that is in large part an action vehicle.  I don't think a couple of 70-year-olds would be believable, nor would they attract the coveted consumer age group as viewers. 

But, I've been wrong before...

Eh I dont know if it would be wise, they did continuations of older shows before like Perry mason returns and the like and it never felt the same, your best bet would maybe to do a time piece type thing with new actors similar to what the British did with inspector morse and the TV show endevour, and have DJ and the others be a consultant if they want.

as you cant reverse time but you can make them like you used to, although he is still active right now, he's doing that watchman tv show, hell you could even do something odd like make him have EJO's role as a forerunner to lou which he'd probably get a good laugh out of, as he's playing a police chief in it

also didn't they try to keep the show going with different actors in season 5? like they had that woman from the tv show with david spade in it I remember

main thing you have to do is play to the strengths, like imagine a pre vice with Miami in the late 70's early 80's, like the main setting is pre season 1, as seasons 1 through 3 are what people remember the most.

Edited by Kavinsky

As much as I'd like to see a reboot with the original cast I just can't see it happening :(

The only way I can someone giving it a shot would be something like the new Dallas where next generation is meant to play 1st fiddle and ol' timers provide background and props :( 

Yes, I would watch it, of course, but in my mind  _the_boat_ has sailed

-J

• Like 1

17 hours ago, vicegirl85 said:

Although realistically, if Universal (or whoever may own the rights these days) wanted to do a reboot, and could successfully peddle the idea to a broadcast or cable network, I can't imagine that what DJ or PMT wanted to do or not do would factor into the equation--or that their feelings would enter into a decision to pick it up or not to do so.

If it was perceived by Universal, etc., as a viable idea, it would go forward regardless of DJ.  And while he and PMT look good and are still active, I don't think they would be believable as stars of something that is in large part an action vehicle.  I don't think a couple of 70-year-olds would be believable, nor would they attract the coveted consumer age group as viewers. 

Even though a couple of just 70 year old men will be cruising the streets of San Francisco next year in a potential green - lit “Nash Bridges”.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

Even though a couple of just 70 year old men will be cruising the streets of San Francisco next year in a potential green - lit “Nash Bridges”.

Hey, 70 is the new 50...give or take... :dance: Don't mind seeing them out there again!

Edited by mjcmmv

4 minutes ago, mjcmmv said:

Hey, 70 is the new 50...give or take... :dance: Don't mind seeing them out there again!

I love it and the show - I completely agree - I’m very much for it friend.:glossy::fireworks:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Matt5 said:

:):fireworks: Hey, I don't mind either!  But I don't think it fits with the usual modus operandi of such decisions.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

:):fireworks: Hey, I don't mind either!  But I don't think it fits with the usual modus operandi of such decisions.

Ha ha yes - now Don as star, executive producer and co-show runner has to get Cheech on board. As they are friends I don’t see it being that difficult for Nash Bridges (2020).:fireworks::glossy::tasse_prost:

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1

On 8/19/2019 at 8:12 PM, vicegirl85 said:

That's a great point. If Universal found a way to continue the series in some way or another, they wouldn't spend time catering to what DJ and PMT would or would not want. They're going to move on with it regardless.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Nostalgia would be the only way it could work. Re-creating that electricity would be impossible.  I can still feel the excitement of watching the pilot episode in 1984.  A peek into a dark forbidden world.  A one - off followup is all I can see working.