Elvis thing could be true

jpaul1

One of the stupidest things I have ever seen. :eek:  Crocks are more dangerous than gators like Elvis.  But a good home security system.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Haha 1

They’re still wild and thus unpredictable.  Raising a wild animal from birth doesn’t change that.  That doesn’t domesticate them or make them tame.  Too many people have been hurt thinking otherwise.

• Like 3

Gators and crocks are absolutely not trainable,  they operate on instinct only.  Ask a zoologist.  If you turn over a gator and rub his stomach he blacks out, his walnut sized brain get disoriented.  Look at all the restraints they had to use on the real Elvis when they used a live gator.  They do have a crude memory system when it comes to food however.  I remember making a mistake by feeding a gator in a canal once and returning months later to find the same gator hangin' around the same spot.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 3

well...it could be true if you don't mind having to step over a 11 ft capricious animal (avg. size of an American Alligator) every time you need to go to the bathroom and wade through all kinds of smelly leftovers when coming home from a long day out huntin' the bad guys...I can’t imagine Elvis was housbroken :p

Elvis.thumb.jpg.2e33df081bdeed46e4a4a745cee9e1f5.jpg

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

Ya Elvis as a pet made for good TV and contributed to the popularity and unique character of Vice.  I only hope Elvis didn't contribute to the adoption of tiny gators as pets.  I remember when you could buy them.  Most were abandoned when they got too large and caused a lot of problems, as you've heard.  They were endangered for a short time but are no longer on the list.

Edited by miamijimf

• 2 weeks later...

well even if i could be totally wrong (i'm not zoologist) i think how could i say, the integrity of an animal (human included) relies almost exclusively on the way he has been educated. i heard a story once of a little boy that had been raised by wolves. if i remember correctly, it was in Italy during the middle age. whatever they tried, and how hard they tried they couldn't make the little guy behave like a human. i think a croc, even if very dangerous in the wild, if he has seen since his early days nothing else than a human hand feeding him, he has absolutely no reason to be agressive towards humans. it would be just illogic

Edited by jpaul1

They still have hardwired instincts. There are stories a-plenty of people who'd tried to raise cheetahs and lions like that, and sooner or later the animal reflex comes out. Dogs have been bred for centuries to behave in close contact with humans. It's not just a matter of training, it's also genetics. The lion likely thinks it's playing when it knocks you ten feet across the yard with a paw swipe, and the croc might just take your hand off thinking there was food there. It's their logic, not ours. And even after all that breeding and training, a frightened or startled dog will still bite its owner. Reflex.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

They still have hardwired instincts. There are stories a-plenty of people who'd tried to raise cheetahs and lions like that, and sooner or later the animal reflex comes out. Dogs have been bred for centuries to behave in close contact with humans. It's not just a matter of training, it's also genetics. The lion likely thinks it's playing when it knocks you ten feet across the yard with a paw swipe, and the croc might just take your hand off thinking there was food there. It's their logic, not ours. And even after all that breeding and training, a frightened or startled dog will still bite its owner. Reflex.

Agreed Robbie, except dogs have been domesticated for 20-40 thousand years, predating human civilization.  The relationship began when we were hunter-gatherers and wolves provided protection in exchange for food.  Raising a wild animal from birth is not even close to the millennia-long process of domestication.  As I said and you affirmed, people have been hurt thinking otherwise.

• Like 2