With Friends Like These....Part III

Robbie C.

Just because I can...

Breakfast amounted to a quick cup of coffee, and he was walking into the tenth floor suite right on schedule. Mindy smiled as he came in, her hair in a tight ponytail that accented her high cheekbones. “Morning, boss. The boys are actually here early, and Rico’s down rounding up donuts. Stan’s running around like a chicken with its head cut off.” She lowered her voice. “He’s kind of spun up about briefing his first op.”

Sonny nodded. “Thought he might be. Don’t worry, I’ll be gentle.”

The elevator binging open and Rico came bobbing into the suite’s outer office, a box with a smiling donut printed on the side in his arms. “You wanna grab this before the grease ruins my suit? The things I do for this place…”

“Don’t worry, Tubbs. We’ll bust another upscale dealer and get you a new one.” Grinning, Sonny took the box. “Now if you’ll get the door we can get this show on the road.”

Stan kept moving from the big map of Miami to his notes and back again, and Sonny could see droplets of sweat on his forehead. Setting the box on the table, he walked over to the big guy and threw an arm around his shoulder. “Just chill, man. Pretend it’s another tech briefing or something. You got this. You’ve got a good plan and I trust you to execute it. Now take a deep breath, have a donut with sprinkles, and tell us all about it.”

Stan nodded. “I know you’re right, Sonny. It’s just different.”

“Then think of Gina trying on her old lady outfits.”

“Naw. Then I couldn’t stand up for the briefing.” Stan laughed, shaking his head. “I think I’m good now, though. Thanks.”

“Happens to all of us, partner.” Sonny winked and sat down, careful to avoid the head of the table. He wanted Stan to feel like he was just going over a plan with the team. That and the chair he’d picked was closer to the coffee. Stan made the best coffee he’d ever had.

“Ok, ladies and ladies. Let’s get this rolling, shall we?” Stan grinned and walked over to the map. “The Outlaw’s here, on the edge of town close enough to the swamps to be an annex. Some nights you can even hear the banjos.” He waited for the chuckles to fade. “But bikers love the dump. You get all kinds. Hell’s Angels. Posers form the city on their Harley clones, Banditos. You name it. And it’s rough. Back when I was on Patrol we’d get a call every couple of days out there. Bar fights, stabbings, even a shooting or two.”

Rico looked at Sonny and nodded. “Stan’s got this shit down,” he whispered.

“And this fat bastard with the bad mustache and worse comb-over is Leo Morgan. He’s the main bartender and likely silent partner in the place. He’s one of those guys. Knows everything that goes on in the place but manages to stay out of the major trouble. He’s a fixer. Knows people who know people and all that shit. Only problem is most of his people are small time. Speed dealers and pot runners from the swamps mostly. He’s too damend lazy to move up in the food chain.”

Dave shook his head. “So how does he help us?”

“Great question. You win a donut. Did I forget to say there were prizes?” Stan winked, exaggerating the motion like a bad TV game show host. “He helps us because he knows the bikers. And most of them aren’t what you’d call lazy. The Angels move a ton of speed through this place, and some of the other clubs are starting to branch into coke. Easy to move and quick to sell for a nice profit.”

“And you know this slug how?”

“A couple years back we were working a speed ring run by some wanna-be Angels. Since my two OCB pals weren’t fashionable enough to make the grade, I slapped on some leathers and become Biggs. Just Biggs. A big, mean Cracker son of a bitch down from the panhandle. Before we could bust the ring the wanna-bes ran into the real Hell’s Angels and got the short end of the bloody stick. Last I heard the State Police still fish a piece or two of one of them out of the swamps about once a month. Anyhow, I’d buddied up to Leo as part of that op and just stayed in touch because…well…you never know when you might need a fat, lazy scumbag in our line of work.”

Randy nodded. “Ain’t that the truth.”

Stan nodded. “Plan’s simple. Tomorrow Biggs, his old lady Lexi, and his old Army buddy Patch are gonna roll in there and see what’s goin’ down. We’ll be wried, with Lester in the Roach Coach here” - he pointed at the map - “or someplace damned close to it. Good radio range and reception should be five-by even if there’s a storm. The rest of Team Elvis, meaning you, Dave, will be with him. I don’t expect any trouble, at least not this time out, but an extra gun could be a big help.”

“So you’re going in strapped?”

“Show me a biker who isn’t and I’ll show you an undercover cop who didn’t do his homework.” Stan grinned. “I’m gonna play it like I’m back in town with my old buddy and we’re lookin’ to do some business. We got some money we want to turn into more money, and maybe it’s bank job money and maybe it ain’t. That’ll get Leo’s heart pounding. And it’ll push the lazy bastard. The bigger the deal, the bigger his commission.”

“What about the comms plan?”

“Good question, Sonny. We’ll all be miced up, but no earpieces. I went with three mics in case one takes a dump. The odds of all three going out are low, but it’s a chance we have to take. I’ve got a safe phrase agreed with Lester, and if he hears me say it he’ll come running with Dave.”

Sonny nodded. “Something tells me I don’t want to know what the phrase is. It’s a great plan.”

“Why take Gina?” Dave looked over at the dark-haired detective. “Not that I doubt you’re capable at all, ma’am.”

She smiled. “No offense taken. The Outlaw’s a bar where bikers bring their old ladies. It’s kind of how they show they’re being peaceful. So Stan bringing me shows he’s coming there without hostile intent.”

Dave grinned. “You do know your bikers.”

“I might have dated one once during my misspent girlhood.” She giggled. “But then I fell for this ol’ hound dog and he’s not cryin’ all the time any more. And neither am I.”

Rico groaned. “Before this turns into some Elvis singalong, where are Sonny and I during it all?”

“I’m leaving that up to you guys.” Stan shrugged. “It’s just a simple meet, and frankly you two would stand out at The Outlaw like I would at Rumours.”

Sonny nodded. “He’s right. And you don’t need two lieutenants cramping your style. Let me know when the op’s a go and we’ll stay out of your way.”

They were back in Castillo’s office, Sonny glaring at the fax machine, when Rico spoke. “That was a damned good plan. Our boy’s all grown up now.”

“Yeah. And we’ll stand back and let him run it. Close enough to help if need be, but I think he’s right about the odds. He’s good in a fight, and we both know what Randy and Dave can do.”

“What about Gina?”

“She’ll do fine. We’ve seen her.”

“Yeah, but things have changed Sonny. We know that. I don’t know if she does yet.”

“Maybe not. But there’s enough cover there I’m not worried.” Sonny looked over at his partner. “You really think I’d send her in there if I was worried?”

“No.” Rico grinned and leaned back. “I’m just worrying for no damned reason.”

“No, for every good reason. It keeps me honest. And speaking of which I’d better call Pete and let him know what’s brewing.”

Ricardo Tubbs looked over at Mindy’s plate and smiled. “Guess I must not have burned the shrimp too bad.”

She giggled. “You didn’t burn a thing and you know it! That was one of the best meals I’ve had in ages.”

They were sitting on the rooftop patio of Rico’s cover condo…the place he’d taken to calling Casa Cooper. Jazz floated out from the living room on the cooling night air, and the stars were just starting to peek out from behind the last rays of the sun. Raising his wine glass, Rico took a sip and smiled. Still, his mind wasn’t settled. Something was bothering Mindy, and it wasn’t in his nature to beat around the bush. But so far the evening had been magical, and he didn’t want to lose the mood.

She’d let her hair down and changed into a short strapless blue dress that set off her freckles and showed more than it covered when she made the right moves. But she’d been quieter than usual, smiling at some jokes and then almost lost in herself the next moment. She hadn’t even noticed when he put her favorite Stan Getz disc on the turntable.

It was the third sip of wine that did it. “What’s on your mind, Mindy?”

She sighed. “How long have we been seeing each other?”

“Three months, ten days, and maybe two hours. But who’s counting?”

Her eyes went wide. “You knew that?”

“Of course I did.” He smiled, letting her see behind the mask he usually kept up in his eyes. “And I gotta say I’ve enjoyed every minute of it. And I hope you have, too.”

“You know I have.” She looked down at her plate. “Now I feel like a real asshole.”

“Why?”

“He didn’t tell you?”

“Who?”

“Now I’m a double asshole.” Mindy sighed and drank half her glass of wine in one gulp. “I asked Sonny the other day if you were real. I asked him not to tell you.”

“And he wouldn’t. Not if you went to him like that and he gave his word. Sonny Crockett may be many things, but he keeps his word.”

“So you’re not mad at him?”

“No. You could have asked me, though.”

“I had to be sure. I…” She finished the wine and poured another glass. “My last relationship didn’t end too well. He was married…”

“And an asshole. Only an asshole does that.”

“And my boss. I was really stupid.”

“You’re allowed. Hell, we’re all allowed. I fell in love with a drug kingpin’s half daughter and before that a certifiable NYPD detective even my own partner back there warned me about.” Rico chuckled, trying to get her to smile again. “I thought I was the world’s biggest chump with women. Until I met Sonny. That honkey had NO luck with women. Until Jenny just fell into his lap.”

“I feel like I messed this all up, Rico. You made great dinner, you’re playing my favorite stuff from The Sound, and here I am wondering if you’re serious.”

“Like I said, you’re allowed. It’s a fair question. But I am serious.” He reached out and squeezed her hand. “And it’s as real as you want it to be. And we can take as much time as you need. Hell, as much time as I might need. Not too long ago I was convinced I’d be stuck with the Job until the bitch kicked me to the curb with a gold watch that turned green after two months. So why don’t we try to find our way together, Mindy, and see where we end up?”

“Deal.” She leaned across the table and kissed him “Although I know where I’d like to end up right now.” The kiss grew deeper, and he tasted the wine on her tongue.

They held the last planning run-through just after three the next afternoon. “Leo comes on around four,” Stan explained. “And I want to be sure he’s got a few drinks in him before we waltz in like we own the place.”

He looked around, happy with the nods he was getting and also with the wardrobe choices. He’d hauled out a set of old black leathers complete with chaps and a jacket adorned with just enough non-specific patches to make Biggs look dangerous. A quick trip to Property had seen Randy similarly equipped, although with a few less patches and slightly cleaner gear befitting a newer member of whatever club Biggs was in. And he couldn’t stop looking at Gina, even though she’d modeled the outfit the night before…and christened it in a manner that would make Lexi proud. She wore a cropped black t-shirt under a white leather vest and a black mini-skirt that ended about three inches below her curved backside. Black leather boots coming an inch above her knees finished the look. She’d teased her hair out, and was already affecting the flounce and swagger of a veteran old lady.

Randy grinned, propping his boot-clad feet up on the table. “We gonna ride now, boss?”

Sonny laughed. “Best ask sarge there. I got paperwork to do.”

Stan grinned. He had been both surprised and grateful Sonny had benched himself and Rico for this one. Giving him room to do his best. But he also knew Sonny would be poised to help if needed…something he never would have trusted the old Sonny to do. “Well, guys and dolls, let’s get this done.”

One thing he’d enjoyed about Biggs was it gave him a chance to ride, which he enjoyed even more now with Gina snugged up against him, her arms wrapped tight around his waist. Strapping on his old German helmet, he grinned at Randy and hit the starter, bringing the Harley thundering to life. They wrapped the throttles at each other a few times, then roared out of the garage and into the light and heat of a Florida summer afternoon.

Feeling the big engine thumping under him, and imagining how Gina must be enjoying the ride, Stan maneuvered the big bike in and out of traffic. The wind felt good on his face, and he shot a grin to Randy who was matching him turn for turn.

Gina gripped him with her strong thighs. “I forgot about the vibration on these things!” She had to shout over the wind and roar of the exhaust.

“Yeah. A fringe benefit I guess.” They were starting to lose the thicker city traffic, and he twisted the throttle to feed more gas to the engine. His plan was to come at The Outlaw from a different angle. Put some more miles on the bikes so they looked like they’d ridden further than they had. Plus it was an excuse for a nice ride. And it gave Lester time to get into position and set up for business.

This was the first time he’d taken the bike out with a passenger, and it took some getting used to. Gina had ridden before, so she moved with him instead of against him, making it all easier. Plus he liked feeling her against him. Shaking his head, he forced his attention back to the road and the reason they were on the bikes in the first place. Team Elvis still had a job to do.

The Outlaw was little more than a box stuck on the side of one of the frontage roads feeding into the Interstates, no different from any number of dive bars and greasy spoons clinging to life on the edges of the concrete future. What made it stand out were the Harleys parked around it. Rolling in Stan counted at least twenty; half of them custom jobs worth more than he wanted to think about. Swinging his bike into an open spot in the dirt lot off to the side of the place, he waited for Randy to wheel in before killing the engine and pulling off his helmet.

Gina climbed off first, turning so Randy didn’t see more than he needed to. Tugging the skirt back down, she smiled. “That was a hell of a ride, Biggs. You’ll get yours later tonight.” The sparkle in her eyes told him she wasn’t kidding.

Stan grinned. “This is the place I was telling you about, Patch. Let’s get on in and see what’s about.”

Inside it was what you’d expect from a dive bar. A battered black bar covered with stains, chips, and spilled beer, two coin-operated pool tables that had seen better decades and might possibly still be level. A handful of tables that had never been level scattered between the pool tables and a raised platform that passed for a dance floor, band stage, or center stage if someone’s old lady felt like putting on a show. Five guys sporting what Stan guessed were Hell’s Angels colors were back at the pool tables, three more sat at a table with a pitcher of beer between then, and the rest of the bikers lining the bar sported no colors.

Throwing his shoulders back, Stan swaggered in like he owned the place. He could hear Gina’s heels clicking behind him, and from the way eyes were turning he knew she had her walk going. And from the way those same eyes looked away he guessed Randy was doing the same. Normally the quieter of the two deputy marshals, Randy Mather had a slow-burning temper and could crush any attitude he came across in seconds. Stan figured the only trouble they might find would come from the Angels, and he was counting on Gina’s presence to signal he wasn’t looking for trouble. He noticed a few of them had girls with them, too, and breathed a sigh of relief inside.

He pushed his way to the bar, not looking to the right or left. Sending the clear signal that whoever happened to be there didn’t matter. “Leo! You fat fuck! Lexi, Patch, and I need beer. Been a long dry ride.”

Leo hadn’t changed a bit. Maybe the mustache was a bit stragglier and the hair thinner, but he was still a fat, greasy piece of shit with less ambition than a slug. “Biggs! Shit. I ain’t seen you in what, six months?”

“Maybe more. Had some business up in the Panhandle with my bro Patch here.”

“Patch?” Leo looked up from the pitcher he was filling. “Why do they call you that?”

“Cause the last guy who asked me that needed one after he asked.” Randy leaned on the bar, his grin not a grin at all.

“Oh. Yeah. Ha, ha. Here’s your beer, Biggs. Five bucks.”

Stan slapped a five on the bar. “And three glasses, you asshole. I don’t remember you being this damned stupid last time I was here.”

One of the guys at the bar turned. “Hey, bro. Chill out.”

Randy turned. “Fuck you. We’re here to get a drink and Biggs says this guy’s a friend of his. Mind your own damned business before I mind it for you.”

The biker started to move, then looked in Randy’s eyes and stopped. Stan followed his glance, and realized the man’s pale blue eyes were ice cold and without expression. “Sorry, man. You’re right. Ain’t my affair. And after a long ride you need beer.” He tossed a five on the bar. “Next round’s on me.”

“Appreciate it.” Randy held his gaze until the man lowered his head.

Leo planted each glass on the bar with a thud. “Who’s the lady, Biggs? Last time you were here you were flyin’ solo.”

“This here’s Lexi. Picked her up in the Panhandle. She said she’d never seen Miami, so here we are.”

Gina grinned. “And you can quit lookin’ at me like that, fatso. I ain’t for sale, and neither are the tits and ass.”

“Sorry, Lexi. I didn’t mean nothin’. Any friend of Biggs is welcome here.” Someone from down the bar shouted, and he turned his head. “Be right there, asshole!” He shrugged. “Let me go toss some Bud at these pricks and I’ll be right back.”

Gina leaned on Stan’s shoulder. “What an ass.”

“Yeah, he is. But he’s all we got. So we’re stuck with the greaseball.” He took a sip of the beer and winced. “Worse than I remembered. Almost makes you wonder if he doesn’t just pipe the pissers back through the lines.”

“Sorry about that. They’re a bunch of pricks anyhow.” Leo grinned, showing teeth as bad as his combover. “So what brings you back this way?”

Stan motioned him closer, trying to avoid getting in range of his breath. “Partly pleasure” - he smacked Gina on the backside and she giggled - “and partly business. Me and Patch got some business done in the Panhandle like I said, but it ain’t easy to turn money into something that makes more money up there. Especially when people that way are lookin’ for the money.”

Leo nodded. “Yeah, that can be tough. But you come to the right place, Biggs.”

“Maybe so. See, the thing is Patch is picky about what his money does. How much comes back after he pays some out.”

“Only way to be.” Leo was practically drooling, and not because he’d gotten a look down Gina’s shirt. “You know I got connections, Biggs. Maybe I can help.”

Randy looked around. “Seems a little damned public for business talk, don’t you think, fatso?”

“Naw, not with these boys. Now that bunch back at the pool tables is different, but they ain’t here.” He looked back to Stan. “I can set you up with guns, weed, speed. Whatever you need.”

Randy shook his head. “I like small and portable with a big return. I’m thinkin’ something in powder line.”

“Biggs. Man. You know I ain’t into that stuff. But I might know a guy. How much are we talkin’ about?”

“At least twenty keys.”

Leo’s eyes almost popped out of his head. “Twenty keys?” He struggled to keep his voice down.

“No, he said at least twenty keys.” Stan shrugged. “What can I say? Business went well up there.”

“I thought you meant one or two keys. But at least twenty?”

“Think about your commission, Leo. We could go up to ten percent if you get us the right guy.”

Randy turned loose the grin that wasn’t a grin again. “But you get one shot at this fatso. Fuck it up and we’re history. And you don’t get paid until the deal goes down, so don’t get any ideas.”

“Relax, Patch! I get it. It’s business, right? This ain’t my normal line, but since it’s Biggs I’ll do what I can. Like I said, I might know a guy.”

“How long?”

“Come back tomorrow night. I”ll know by then if I can swing that much weight.” Leo shook his head. “At least that much weight. Yeah, yeah. I know. What’s the max, just in case I trip over some drunk Columbian with a cargo ship full of blow.”

Stan looked at Randy, who gestured with his fingers. “Forty keys max. This time, anyhow. It works out there may be return business.”

Gina tapped Randy on the shoulder. “What about that thing, Patch? You said to remind you about that thing.”

“Yeah, girl. Biggs, thank her for me, would you?”

Stan grinned and swept Gina up in his arms, giving her a sloppy kiss and a good grope to stay in the cover. He almost laughed when she retuned the grab, and then realized she wasn’t in cover. So he grabbed her again.

“Anyhow, while they’re takin’ care of business I’ll finish ours.” Randy chuckled. “I got a think about flake, see. It’s gotta be Bolivian. Somethin’ in the dirt down there. I don’t know. It’s just smoother. Easier to cut, too.”

Stan came up for air, feeling Gina’s arms still around him. “So that’s at least twenty keys but no more than forty of Bolivian marching dust. We’ll be back tomorrow night.”

They settled into a free table close to the door, Gina wiggling her way onto Stan’s lap with a playful smile. After a few minutes of what passed for biker small talk, Stan finished his beer and carefully got to his feet. Gina’s wiggling had been a bit more determined that he’d expected, and standing wasn’t comfortable yet. “Let’s head into town and find us a crash pad, Patch. Gotta get the old lady taken care of, too.”

Randy chuckled. “That you do, Biggs.” He turned back to the bar and locked eyes with Leo. “We’ll be back tomorrow night, fatso.”

Once they were outside, Gina tugged at Stan’s shoulder. “You’d better get me home quick, big guy, or I won’t be responsible for my actions.”

“You got it.” Stan turned to Randy and shrugged an apology. “You know how it is, Patch.”

“I do. Catch you at that spot you told me about tomorrow. I run into any of the others I’ll let ‘em know.”

Sonny had spent the afternoon going over the bust files one more time, looking any scrap of information they might have missed. Randy’s return was a relief. “Where’s Stan?”

“He..uh..had to take care of something.”

Sonny pretended not to see Randy’s face turning red. “I’ll let him slide. You can report in. Lester and Dave aren’t back yet.”

“That Leo’s a small-time punk. Stan was right about that. But he was also right about the guy’s greed. I think he’s too scared of Stan to try a rip, but that don’t mean he won’t call the wrong dealer.”

“How’d you frame it?”

“Between twenty and forty keys of Bolivian marching dust. He gets a ten percent commission after we take possession. He’s got incentive all right, boss.”

“What’s your take? I’ll check with Stan and Gina tomorrow.”

“He’ll do it if he can. Little shit’s greedy as hell. But he’s also careful. I don’t think a tap would have helped. He ain’t the kind to use a phone. Like that Holmes bastard when we went after him.”

“When’s the next meet?”

“Tomorrow night. He says he’ll know for sure by then.”

“Which means he’s more connected than he lets on. Stan might have gotten a sense of that.”

“I think he did, boss. He didn’t seem surprised when Leo bit.”

“He’s got good instincts for that crowd. I’ll run through the tape stuff with Lester and see if he picked up anything else.”

“Yeah. The only thing that struck me were the eight Hell’s Angels in the place. They were keepin’ to themselves but Leo didn’t like ‘em much at all.”

“Might be history there. We’ll run it and see. Anyhow, good job. It’s close enough to quitting we can call it.”

Randy shifted, looking uncomfortable in the leathers. “It’ll be good to get out of this rig. And then maybe we can meet up later at The Sanctuary? Have a drink or two and just relax before this thing heats up.” He grinned. “Now I sound like Dave and his damned spiders.”

“And I’ll bet he wants to see Debbie again.” Sonny looked out the window and nodded. “Yeah, that sounds good. I might bring Jenny if that’s cool?”

“Hell, she’s pretty much one of us, boss. She’s drawn blood.”

“Yeah.” He remembered the man who’d been sent to kill Trudy in the hospital. Jenny had put three .45 slugs in his chest in a group he could cover with the palm of his hand. “That she has. Rico should be back soon, so I’ll let him know. Plan on 2000 unless you hear different.”

“Roger that, boss. See you then.”

A quick call to Rico’s car phone got him on board, and then he called the boat. Jenny picked up on the second ring. “Hey, babe. It’s me. You want to stop by The Sanctuary tonight? Randy was asking.”

“I’d love to, Sonny. I just got back from a meeting with Angie. I think we’ve got a loan agreement set up for Vellamo. It’s going to be wonderful.”

He could hear the happiness in her voice and smiled. “It sounds like it, darlin’. I’ll pick you up as soon as I’m done here.”

“And I got a new dress. You’ll love it.”

He was still smiling when he hung up the phone. He thought about calling Stan but thought better of it. From what Randy hinted his evening was already planned, and he didn’t want to get Jenny and Gina in the same place. He wasn’t sure what it was about Gina that sent Jenny off, but he knew her mood had been fragile lately and he didn’t want to do anything to provoke it. All he knew was it was good to hear her happy again.

She was waiting for him belowdecks, wearing a pale yellow dress that showed off her deep tan to perfection. Light, almost sheer cotton, it moved with her like fog surrounding her body. Like most things she wore it was short and easy to slip out of, and she smiled as she turned for him to see. “Angie helped me pick it out.”

“It’s pretty,” he agreed, taking the two steps needed to take her in his arms. “And I’m glad you and Angie are getting along.”

“Believe it or not we have a lot to talk about. Not like Trudy and me, but it’s close.” She stretched up on her toes and kissed him. “Now let’s go see Robbie and the rest of them. It’ll be nice to laugh.”

They grabbed a quick burger on the way, and walked through the doors of the club just after eight. As usual the big doorman let them through with a grin. “Mr. Cooper’s already here with his date, Mr. Burnett. I’ll let Mr. Cann know you’re here.”

“Thanks.” Sonny had to admit Robbie knew how to staff his club. They always used cover names, and the team’s table was held for them most nights until ten. After a couple of weeks Sonny told Robbie not to short himself a table on the weekends unless they called ahead.

Looking through the haze of cigarette smoke he saw Rico wave from the back table. Mindy sat next to him, and she returned Jenny’s wave with a smile. Taking her hand, Sonny moved through the crowd with Burnett’s usual forceful assurance, clearing a path with a simple stare.

“Solid, man. Jenny! You look lovely as ever.”

“Not as lovely as Mindy.” Jenny sat down with a smile. “You look so happy. That’s good.”

Rico looked at Sonny and gave one of his ‘what are you gonna do’ shrugs. “I ordered drinks already. Didn’t think you’d be long behind me. And now they’re talking about dresses.”

“Yeah, but it’s cool.”

“You hear anything from Stan?”

“Randy, actually. Seems Stan had plans of the Italian variety.” Sonny chuckled. “Sounds like everything went according to plan. Lester’s getting tape ready and should have something in the morning. Leo sounds like the usual kind of greedy punk, but Randy thinks he might produce something.”

“And speaking of Randy…” Rico nodded toward the door. “He’s here and Debbie’s already spotted Dave.”

Before Sonny could comment, Robbie Cann came out of the back office and headed for their table. “Sonny! Good to see you, brother!”

Sonny stood and gave Robbie a hug. “Same back at you, Robbie. Been a few days, hasn’t it?”

“More like a week. But who’s counting?” Robbie grinned. “Maria wanted me to say hello next time I saw you. And to invite you and Jenny over for dinner.”

“That sounds great, Robbie. I’m sure she’d love it.” Sonny’s smile wilted on his face. “We just caught a case that could be a bit involved, so I don’t know when…”

“It’s an open invite, Sonny. And then you can see how big your god-son’s getting.”

“Yeah. I’d like that.”

Randy finally shrugged and left Dave talking with the blonde at the bar. “Debbie ain’t lettin’ him go just yet, and I’m thirsty.” He shook hands with Robbie. “Good to see you again, man.”

“Right back at ya, jarhead.” Robbie smiled. “I’ll let you get down to it. Just wanted to say hey to Sonny before it got too busy over here.”

“Lester said he might be by later, but I wouldn’t hold your breath. He’s ass-deep in all that electronic stuff he and Stan get off on, and he was mutterin’ something about a new scrubber. I didn’t wanna ask.”

“Some new toy Pete sent over. I guess the Federal grand juries are loving the tapes those two produce, so the U.S. Attorney’s Office footed the bill for another toy.”

Randy shook his head. “Man, I remember when we had to beg for government surplus ammo.”

“It’s call success, pal. So long as we keep turning it out, we keep getting the pretty toys. But the first time we fall on our collective asses…”

“Don’t remind me, boss.” Randy poured himself a beer from the pitcher on the table. “Here’s to Leo not being a dry hole.”

Sonny sat down next to Jenny, he she smiled before turning back to Mindy and their conversation. Pouring himself a beer from the pitcher, he sipped at it while he watched the crowd. Since he’d cut back on the booze he found it easier to keep an eye on what was going on around him. Easier to get a feel for the crowd and read its mood. And fewer headaches in the morning was another plus.

“So what’s the plan if Leo turns out to be a bust?” Rico had given up and moved to sit next to Sonny.

“Your guess is as good as mine, Rico. We might have to dig up Izzy and see if he knows squat.”

“You ask me the fat bastard will come through.” Randy took another drink of his beer. “His eyes lit up like a Goddamn Christmas tree when he heard ten percent commission and up to forty keys. You could damn near hear the ten key clicking in his head as he did the math.”

“Any chance of a rip?”

“Always, but this guy seems genuinely scared of Stan. If he can’t find the guy he’ll put us in touch with someone who can.”

Sonny nodded. “Makes sense. I just wish there was a plan B somewhere. I don’t like following trails of broken deals and just hoping to get lucky.”

“You and me both.” Rico sighed. “I got faith in Switek, don’t get me wrong. But damn! I wish we had something to fall back on.”

Sonny looked over at Randy. “And Leo knows the Bolivian bit, right?”

“Hell yes he does. I laid that one on thick like I said. That’s the only kicker, though. He could set us up with someone else and try to pass it off as Bolivian. And you can bet I ain’t doin’ a line of blow just to check the origins.”

“The lab can pick that up, but it takes time we don’t have.” Sonny turned the problem over in his mind. How could they pull it off? Then he hit the Burnett answer. “Sniff it or some shit and then go at him with full attitude. Tell him it don’t smell right and that you know Bolivian smells different. He’ll likely piss his pants, and you’ll know inside of five seconds if he’s screwing you or not.”

“And if he is?”

Sonny started to answer, and the forced his mind to change gears. “Burnett would shoot him, but we don’t have that leeway. Smack him around a bit and see if something falls out. If he’s just a rip job, then we have no choice but to start over and hope the whole thing isn’t blown.”

“And on that note I’m gettin’ another scotch.” Rico waved down one of the harried waitresses. “You want a Black Jack, Sonny?”

“Sure. Just one, though.”

“Man, that girl got you wrapped around her little finger.” Rico’s voice was teasing, but Sonny could see approval in his eyes.

“Yeah. And I did need to cut back a bit.”

They were almost back to the marina before Jenny turned to Sonny. “I told Mindy she didn’t have to worry about Rico at all. But she needed to be sure. He’s been hurt enough.”

“That he has.’ Sonny kept his eyes focused on the road. “How’d she take it?”

“Good, I think. She’s still not sure, and I really don’t want to see Rico hurt.”

“You had fun, then?”

“Yes. Lots. She’s fun to talk to, and Randy has such funny stories. And watching Dave with Debbie always makes me laugh. He’s so lost without his rifle.”

“Yeah. It’s kinda all he knows, I think.” Sonny shook his head. “I know how that feels.”

“So do I. But we don’t have to feel it anymore.” She slipped her dress up around her waist as soon as they pulled into their parking spot. “We have better things to feel.”

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mjcmmv said:

I love Stan’s cover with Gina and the fact that Sonny is letting him take the lead. Should be interesting to see how Stan’s plan tuns out

What she said!  I love all the snappy dialog, too.  Really curious to find out why Jenny is keeping her distance from Gina.  It's making me a bit nervous! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

What she said!  I love all the snappy dialog, too.  Really curious to find out why Jenny is keeping her distance from Gina.  It's making me a bit nervous! 

Lots going on in this one, I think.

• Like 1