With Friends Like These....Part XII

Robbie C.

She waited until he was gone before going back into the house and retrieving her Safari Arms MatchMaster. She didn’t want Marty to know, but after Jenny had killed the would-be assassin in her hospital room she never went out alone without the big .45. Even here, in Marty’s house, she didn’t feel quite safe when she was alone. It would pass, she knew, given time. But for now the pistol was a comfort she wasn’t willing to forego.

Last night’s clouds were a distant memory, and looking up she could count the stars dancing in the sky. The glow of the city was an ever-present reminder, but it didn’t overwhelm everything like it had when she was growing up. Out here you could at least squint and pretend the city was nothing but a bad dream. There it had always been around you, sending its discordant noise through your ears and straight into your brain. Music had helped, and her painting added color to the drab grays around her. But it had only been later, when she’d been pushed out of school and into the Academy, that color came into her life and stayed there.

Trudy smiled up at the clear sky, letting the pulse of the waves wrap itself around her. Soon she’d head back in and play the piano, sending notes floating out into the darkness. But for now she was just enjoying the peace and space that came with Marty’s home.

She was still at the piano when he returned, working through the last section of what she called Jess and Andre’s suite. That night she’d heard the few elements it was lacking, and now she tried to add them in, adding notes to the cluttered sheet music propped up on the piano. She looked up and smiled, hoping he wouldn’t notice the pistol on the piano stool but knowing he already had. “How did it go?”

“Like you’d expect. They can neither confirm nor deny, which means they had no idea about any planned coup and would rather see it not happen.” He smiled. “After Iran-Contra they’re a bit more cautious down there.”

“I was just working on the suite. Adding a little bit to the end. It’s almost done now.”

“Good. I’m looking forward to hearing it.” He sat down next to her, shifting the pistol. “I understand, my love. It takes time, but it does get better.”

“But when I’m alone…”

His eyes took on a distant quality. “In Laos I kept a .45 with me all the time. Even in camp. Maybe not in the shower because it would rust, but it was always close by. It was the same in Thailand later, and when I finally came back to the States it took me years to learn to go without it. But even now, when you’re still at work or out somewhere, I keep one close. It’s part of our world, my love.”

“I never thought about it with the .38 I guess. It was so small I usually forgot I had in my purse or holster.” She smiled. “This baby’s more substantial.”

He touched her cheek, and she felt a tingle running through her body. “I’d love it if you could play the new section for me. If you feel it’s ready.”

“It was the waves.” She smiled, running her fingers along the cool ivory keys. “I didn’t have them quite right before, but something about tonight’s surf showed me the way.” Looking down at the scrawled notes, she let the idea flow through her and started to play.

“So the Company denies all knowledge?” Rico snorted. “Sounds like Costa Morada all over again.”

Sonny shook his head. “Not if it’s one of Marty’s contacts.” He turned to Castillo. “What’s your take? He’s your guy.”

“I’ll know more after tonight. I have a meeting with a different source.” Castillo looked down. “But I believe him when he says he didn’t know anything about a coup. And Bolivia’s part of his turf.”

“Is it worth reaching out to DEA? They still owe us, and I know those cats are connected down there.” Rico grinned. “I’ve got a buddy in the Miami office.”

Sonny nodded. “It could be worth it. Unofficially, of course.”

“Do it. Unofficially. If we confirm it with three sources…”

“We’ve got an exclusive.” Sonny chuckled. “Now we just gotta stop it.”

Castillo nodded. “Their coke will never hit our streets. What happens in Bolivia isn’t our concern. Their product is.”

“Roger that, captain.” Sonny turned to Rico. “You reach out to your DEA guy and I’ll comb through the files one last time. We might have missed something.” He scratched his chin. “I might also hit up Izzy. Just to see if there’s any word on the street. Those two bozos have been rattling a lot of cages. Something might have fallen out.”

As they walked out of Castillo’s office, Rico turned to Sonny. “I thought we were done with Moreno?”

“We are. I just want to see if there’s any gossip out there the little twerp might have heard.” Sonny slapped Rico on the shoulder. “I’m not gonna ask him to look for anything. He’s paid his dues and then some as far as I’m concerned. But you know how he hears things. And he’s not gonna reach out if he doesn’t know what we’re looking for.”

The breeze wafting off the ocean broke up some of the mid-morning heat, but Sonny was still glad he’d opted for the lighter colors instead of Burnett basic black. He still didn’t understand how Rico could roll around town dressed to the nines without dying of heat stroke. Parking the Ferrari, he headed for Izzy’s usual hunting grounds: the weekly-rate old hotels that still clung to life near the water. As developers stretched out their greedy fingers there were fewer and fewer of them to be found, but he knew if he found them, he’d find Izzy.

He heard him before he saw him; a high, whining voice rising above the noise of traffic from the street. The voice sounded older now, more tired and a bit cracked, and for the first time Sonny wondered just what the hell would happen to Izzy when he got too old to hustle.

And he had a new scam. “Gen’lemen! Are joo tired? Do joo worry about jore manhood when the poolboy comes by? Are jore bedroom mechanizations hampered by a certain downturn in jore fortunes? I, Count Moreno, have the answer joo seek. A formulation so ancient it is found in the bible itself. And so precious the luminations of the church had it removed and kept for their own pleasures. But I, Count Moreno, at great risk to my own humble personage, bring it to joo today.”

Coming around the corner, he saw Izzy holding up what looked like a perfume bottle someone had spray-painted gold. But at least he’d cleaned his tux; it was close to white instead of its normal off-yellow color. Even the captain’s hat had been cleaned, and he’d added a couple of rows of braid to make himself look more like a ‘count’ than someone who’d been booted off the SS Minnow just before their three-hour tour. The crowd he’d gathered was smaller than usual, and his hand flourishes lacked some of their usual flair.

Gathering himself, Izzy launched into the pitch again. “Joo may ask what is in thees miracle before joo? But I, Count Moreno, have been sworn to secrecy. But I can say it has the testicular excretions from the finest Pamploma bulls. The very sweat from the mighty orbs of the bulls ‘Emingway himself admired. An’ joo know if ‘Emingway is full of admiratioals it mus' be manly. Thees bottle is the key to boudoir pleasures beyond compare, both for joo an’ jore lady love.”

Sonny did something he’d never done before. His hand shot up. “I’ll take one, count. If Hemingway swore by it that’s all I need to know. Is this why women loved Hemingway?”

“Joo are brilliant, sir! One spritz of thees tonicals on jore manhood an’ the ladies will flock to joo like a spell has been cast on their nether regionals.”

Digging into his pocket, Sonny pulled out a hundred dollar bill. “Is this enough? It’s all I brought.”

Izzy’s eyes almost popped out of his head. “Joo will be completely satisfied, my fren’. As will all the ladies of jore apprenticeship.”

Dropping the bottle into his blazer pocket, Sonny handed Izzy the hundred. “Take a break, count. I got a quick question for you.”

“Don’t go away! The count shall return!” Izzy waved in what he assumed was regal fashion and turned back to Sonny. “What do joo want, Crockett? Thees entrepreneurial stuff isn’t what it used to be, joo know. Damn, I miss Reagan! Now they wan’ twenty dollars a pair for those choose. Pushes them out of my price range.”

Sonny grinned and slipped Izzy another hundred. “I don’t want anything, Moreno. Just some information. You still use those ears for more than holding up that hat, don’t you?”

Izzy nodded. “Joo know I do, Crockett. The competition is vicious in the male enhancement business.”

“I’m sure it is. But have you heard anything about a crew looking for payback on some smugglers? Guy and a girl. They’ve been dropping dimes on people after they deliver the goods.”

“Ohhhh…I did hear some talk of those two.” Izzy scratched the back of his head under the hat, pushing the brim almost over his eyes. “Word’s out not to deal with them. An’ I did hear some dudes might be looking for a refund. Some nasty Columbian dudes. But I…”

“I don’t need names, Izzy. You told me just what I needed to know.” Sonny pulled out the final hundred. “Don’t spend it all in one place, ok?” He looked down at the little man, seeing the age in his face for what might have been the first time. “Take care of yourself, Izzy, ok? The streets are nastier than they used to be. You and Manny need to get real jobs, or just lay low and work your uncle’s track. You need anything, you know how to reach me or Tubbs.”

Izzy looked from the crumpled bills to Sonny’s face and back again. “Joo know, I might just do that. Thanks, Sonny.”

As soon as he was back by the Ferrari, Sonny fished the bottle out of his pocket and tossed it into a nearby trash can. Izzy had confirmed what he suspected was happening: the street had identified what it saw as a threat and someone was moving to settle the score. He’d figure out from the reports which Columbians might be involved and go from there.

As he drove back to Task Force headquarters, Sonny kept coming back to Izzy. He hadn’t been kidding with his warning, and he hoped the little CI was serious about what he’d said. He’d had his run, and even though it pained him Sonny had to admit he’d been a solid informant on more than a few occasions. But his time was over. The latest crop of dealers reminded him more of the kids they’d chased back when he was seeing Brenda. Vicious little bastards with automatic weapons and no concern about who they used them on. And as they squabbled over turf, the chance Izzy would get caught in the crossfire rose exponentially.

Plus he felt guilty. Both about the number of times he’d thrown the guy into danger and for not being around to help Noogie before he’d ODd. Things that wouldn’t have bothered the old Sonny but now gave him pause. None of it would undo what he’d done, but it might keep the mistake from being repeated.

Rico looked up when he walked in. “Izzy have anything good to say?”

“Yeah.” Sonny filled him in. “So I’m gonna check those arrest reports again and look for Columbians.” He shook his head. “You shoulda seen him, Rico. Trying to sell perfume in gold-painted bottles as some kind of male enhancement tonic. He needs to get off the street before some of those sharks have him for a snack.”

“Sounds like you feel sorry for the little chump.”

“Maybe I do. Hell, we risked his neck often enough.”

“Yeah, I guess we did at that. And he was always loyal, at least as loyal as Izzy could be to anything. If he’s smart he’ll go get some gig with that uncle of his and get the hell off the streets.”

“That’s what I told him, too.” Shaking his head, Sonny reached out for the stack of arrest files. “Now I’d better start digging through this shit and see if I can find any mystery Columbians.”

“The challenge might be finding some who aren’t Columbians.” Rico chuckled. “Naw, I know. It ain’t that simple these days. Never was, really.”

“And don’t forget these are middlemen. Lots of home-grown talent in there. I think…” He paused, running his finger down one of the reports. “Hell! Izzy might have been onto something! The second bunch they ratted out was a crew run by Hector Soldado. Him, two of his cousins, and someone he knew from the old days according to the interrogation report. They got picked up with ten keys, and made bail inside of forty-eight hours.”

“And I’ll bet Hector wasn’t pleased about his accommodations.”

“Not so much. And he’s been around long enough to be connected. Says here his first arrest was back in ’85 by…” Sonny stopped, his heart skipping a beat. “Eddie Ruiz.”

“Your old partner?”

“Yeah. The one Calderone blew up.” Sonny leaned back in his chair. “Man, I haven’t thought of him in years. And I think I remember the kid. Skinny little punk with an attitude almost as big as his hair. I wasn’t in on the bust; I was still trying to make nice with Corky Fowler. Eddie was standing in for someone else and working with a team out of South Beach. Kid had nasty eyes even back then.”

“And you’re sure he never saw you?”

“Yeah. I was behind the glass during the interview. Just happened to wander by and Eddie asked me what I thought of the kid. Turns out it didn’t matter. South Beach screwed up the arrest. Forgot to read him his rights or some shit. And Eddie got killed like five days later.” He looked at the report again, trying to make sense of the feelings it stirred up. “I figured the little shit would have been dead for years by now.”

Rico nodded. “If it don’t kill them it makes them meaner. Maybe that’s why he never moved far up the food chain.”

“That and the wrong relations. As in no connected relations.” He pulled booking photos out of the file. “I’m gonna get copies of these to Team Elvis. I want their faces engraved on their memories for the meet. Just in case our boys manage to find the Hitler Youth at the same time we meet them.”

Rico nodded, looking at his watch. “I gotta jet, partner. Meeting my DEA guy for lunch and a quick word. With any luck we’ll be able to move on those two come tomorrow.” He paused. “Did you find out where Jenny was the other night?”

“Yeah, and you ain’t gonna believe this.” He told Rico about her trust fund decision.

“Shit. That’s a nice chunk of change. And you say she’s got it planned for?”

“Down to the last damned penny. She may act like some gypsy hippie, but that girl’s a whiz when it comes to business stuff. Between her and Angie Caitlin’s House is gonna be around for years to come. And I think she’s kinda made peace with Gina.”

“Good to know. I’ll see you later, partner.”

Sonny nodded, his attention slipping back to the reports again. And the memories they contained. How had he let Eddie slip from his memory? They’d been partners for close to two years, starting just before Scott Wheeler left for the DEA. Not all their busts had been huge, but they’d put together a solid track record, him playing the fast-talking boat guy and Eddie the sometimes sharp, sometimes babe-in-the-woods buyer. And then it all vanished in an instant.

In so many ways it was a different time. And he was a different person then. He knew it now, looking back with the advantage of hindsight and the events that had propelled him into Burnett’s dark embrace. He’d done what he could to atone for those past sins, from paying for Stan and Gina’s wedding to making sure Billy would never want for college tuition. But he knew there were some things that could never be undone. Eddie was one of them. Caitlin was another.

Sighing, he looked out the window at the clear blue sky and the sun blazing hot overhead. He could imagine the heat rippling off the pavement, and all the stakeouts he’d pulled over the years, sunglasses down against the glare, just waiting for a breeze or the coming of evening so the sun wasn’t as punishing. Vietnam had been a harsh teacher in patience, and he wished he hadn’t tried so hard to unlearn those lessons.

He could hear the team beyond his partly-closed door; the easy banter as they compared notes and planned for possible contingencies. Stan’s voice, growing more and more sure by the day, mixed with Dave and Randy’s as the three went over a possible overwatch operation to draw in the FBI. From time to time Lester stuck a comment in, and Sonny smiled. He was coming along, too, drawn on by Stan and his jovial but firm leadership. And the higher notes of Mindy and Trudy comparing notes as they put together a profile of the two Bolivians and dissected their motives. He’d never known two smarter people, male or female, and watching them work was a joy.

What if this was their last time out as a team? It was something he didn’t want to consider, but knew it was a possibility if Pete was reassigned and Castillo put in his papers. He’d never worked with a team this strong, not even at OCB in its heyday. Hell, the Task Force had accomplished more in a month than OCB did in some years.

Looking down, he saw the pictures scattered on his desk and got to his feet. They wouldn’t walk themselves out there, and he needed to move before his brain bogged down in a swamp of its own making. “Guys, I’ll need you to watch for these bozos when we have the meet with our two Hitler Youth…”

It was late afternoon before Ricardo Tubbs rolled the big Caddy back into the underground garage. The first thing he noticed was the lot across the street was missing a couple of tan Fords. Upstairs, Sonny confirmed it with a smile. “Marty just got off the phone with Pete. The AUSA issued warrants for a whole slew of the Double Treys. Including our old friend Double G. And then handed them to the FBI. Their SAC tried to weasel out of it, and had his ass handed to him by the AUSA. So our friends from Sears pulled out half an hour ago.”

“Solid.” Rico grinned, following Sonny into the conference room. “So we’re done with those chumps?”

“Maybe.” Castillo sat the table, his face expressionless. “I wouldn’t be surprised if Overton tried to ignore at least part of his orders. Be on your guard. If any of his people show up, I want to know immediately.”

“You got it. And my friend from the DEA confirmed that they don’t know a damned thing about any coup in Bolivia. They’ve been watching cocaine production like a hawk, and they know Herrmann senior damned well. Nothing on the kid, though. The dad has ties with the Bolivian army, but not the politicians.” Rico grinned. “He wanted to know why I was curious and I said I was thinking about a vacation down there.”

“So two confirmed. All we need’s the third.”

“Tonight.” Castillo looked from Sonny to Rico. “I’ll know for certain tonight. We should go ahead and make contact tonight. I don’t want any delay.”

Rico nodded. “I’ll get on marine band tonight and make the call. Stan, you want to start planning the support with Team Elvis?”

Switek nodded. “Already started, Rico. Randy and Dave have a good overwatch position about two hundred yards from the club.”

“Point blank range.” Dave’s smile wasn’t pretty. “And we can see both the front and back entrances. As close to full coverage as you’ll get down in that part of town.”

“We might try to get someone inside, too.” Stan grinned. “I was thinking Lester and maybe Mindy.”

“Lester?” Rico shook his head.

“Hey, man! I can dance better than anyone in this room. You included, Rico. And you wouldn’t know techno if it bit you on the ass.” Lester grinned. “I’ve been into that stuff for years, going back to KLF and Phuture before them.”

Rico raised his hands. “Ok! Ok! But are you ready to come outa the Roach Coach?”

Stan bristled. “I think he is.”

“Cool. But the beard, man…”

“You got one, right? Besides, they’ve seen me in there before. Every Thursday night. House night. I own that place, man. But they know me as Terry. Been working on my cover in case you needed me in the field.”

Rico raised his hands again. “I give! You guys got me. And with this new intel from Izzy it might not be a bad idea to have some eyes on the inside. Just in case.”

“Ok.” Sonny took control of the meeting after a nod from Castillo. “We send Lester and Mindy in at least half an hour before the meeting goes down. Dave and Randy can set up shop whenever works best for the terrain and lighting. Stan, I take it you’ll be controlling from the Roach Coach? Cool. Rico and I will go in maybe five minutes at the most before the meeting. We won’t have comms. Too risky. But Mindy can signal us when you see the targets coming in.”

Rico nodded. “And if you see any hostiles, Lester should be the one signaling. That way it’s simple.”

Sonny nodded his agreement. “Anything I missed? No? Let’s go through the equipment, then. Lester, you might want to hit the range with Stan and the rest of Team Elvis tomorrow. Just in case.”

Rico watched the team break into its little two-person elements as people went back to their offices to sort through what they’d need for the operation tomorrow. Shaking his head, he followed Sonny into the office. “I ain’t so sure about Lester with a gun.”

“Yeah, but if Stan thinks he’s ready we gotta give him a chance. I’m not gonna undercut Stan like that.”

“I get it. It’s just one of those things I gotta take some time wrapping my head around. Like do you really think that bunch of Columbians are gonna try to square things with our Ken and Barbie couple?”

“I don’t know, Rico. But if they’re out on that boat, the only time they’d really be vulnerable is when they come ashore to meet people like us. And they’ve got security. We saw the guy with the UZI and I’ll bet there are more like him on that boat. So that leaves…”

“I know. When they come ashore to meet us. Damn. I thought we were done walkin' around with targets on our backs.” Rico chuckled as he sat down. “All I know is Lester better keep his hands to himself.”

“I don’t know, Rico. He’s got a better beard, and if he can dance…”

“Now you just hush.” He laughed. In truth he wasn’t worried about Lester with Mindy. He was more worried about her getting hit if there was any kind of gunplay. The rational part of his mind knew she could take care of herself. Hell, she’d done more than that at the shootout at Moncado’s villa in the Keys. But things were different then. He hadn’t been falling in love with her.

Looking over, he saw Sonny studying him. “It’s happening for you, too, isn’t it?”

Rico knew exactly what he meant. “Yeah, I think it is. Not quite how I’d planned it…”

“It never is, Rico. I told you she just showed up on the dock with a six pack, right? Yeah…the good ones never start how you plan. Hell, Caroline was storybook wedding, all that shit. And look how it ended.”

“Yeah. Valerie started that way, too. And Angelina…”

“That’s one better left buried, partner. And at least you know the family paid for what they did.”

“Yeah.” Rico still heard Maynard’s nasal voice on that tape giving the order in his dreams. He usually woke up smiling. “I guess I owe that conniving bastard thanks for that.”

“Funny how it works sometimes in our world, ain’t it?” Sonny grinned and changed the subject. “You given any more thought to Casa Cooper?”

“Yeah. I’ll do it, Sonny. Hell, I gotta start planning for the future now. Just in case…”

“Yeah. We got lots of just in cases goin’ right now. Just let me know how much and when you need it and you’ll be set. That way if you and Mindy keep goin’ the way you’re going you’ll have someplace to stay. At the rate they’re tearing down those old extended stay places along the beach you’d be sharing a cardboard box with the winos.”

“Speaking of which, I think we’re gonna hit Downbeat again tonight. You and Jenny want to come?”

“Naw. I appreciate the offer, but we got some stuff to go over for Caitlin’s House. That and I want to see if she can tell me anything else about Monaele Jankow. I can’t stop thinking we’re missing a piece with her.”

“Yeah. I get the same vibe. He’s easy. A kid fronting for daddy’s business. But there’s something missing with her. How much do we know about her family?”

“Just what we got from the Customs and DEA stuff, so approximately squat. And I don’t like that. But the fathers were both in Nazi-occupied Poland.”

“Yeah, but what did they do there? We know his father was some kind of Nazi Party boss. But what did hers do?”

“I’ll go sic Mindy on that and see if she can turn anything up. I think we’ve got computer access to Interpol now. Stan was muttering something about that while you were out meeting your DEA buddy.”

“Cool. Then I think we’re out.”

For a change it was still light when Sonny pulled into his usual spot in the marina lot. Jenny was on the foredeck looking through a binder stuffed with papers, a long white t-shirt only just covering her backside. She looked up and smiled when she saw him. “You’re home early.”

“Yeah. Long day tomorrow so Marty cut everyone loose early.” He nodded toward the binder. “Doing some light reading?”

She looked at the notebook and giggled. “No, silly. Going back through the plan for the renovations. I found a couple of double-charges. Angie’s gonna be pissed.”

“Are you sure you never went to business school?” He stepped around the mast and kissed her on the forehead.

“Yes, silly. But I did run my own business for a few years.” She smiled. “At least I guess you could call it a business.”

“You certainly could. And I’m glad you decided to help with this one. Numbers and I just don’t get along.”

“But you know people. I either hate them all or trust them all. Angie will need your help with the staff. Gina means well, but…”

“She always sees the best in people. It got her burned more than once as a cop, I hate to say. And by me when I was still an asshole. And I hate to say that even more.”

“And that’s good when she’s working with the girls. They need someone like that. But you need to make sure the wrong people don’t get close to them.” She took his hand. “Promise me?”

“Of course, darlin’. How soon are they going to start taking applications?”

“In three weeks. The crews will be done by then, and Vellamo will be ready to set sail. Angie’s working with some of the people in Gina’s unit now. Getting names, I think.”

Sonny nodded. He was glad to see her so involved, but he was also trying to figure out how to steer the conversation to Monaele. And she was so focused now he didn’t want to disturb a thing. “Good. I’ll do what I can as soon as they know who they want to interview.”

“And you want to ask me about her again, don’t you?”

How the hell… “Yeah, I do. If that’s ok.”

“Sure.” She sat up, letting the t-shirt pull tight across her firm breasts. “I’ve been thinking about her. What I know. It’s not much. She didn’t talk much about herself. More about her father than anything. How he’d sent her out to learn how to…to do what we did. He bought her the boat and all that.”

“Did she ever say why?”

“No. I thought it was silly. I did it because it was fun, and because I wanted to do something on my own without daddy’s money or anything. I had this little boat I’d saved up for, and she was running about with a big sixty footer she could barely handle on her own.”

“You’re sure she never said anything? Not even a joke?”

“No. She got worse once he showed up. The guy who likes guys. The son of a friend of her father’s, I think. He liked to flash money around, and it made her mad. But that’s when she started taking on bigger and bigger jobs. I got away from them then. She might have been a rich girl doing it for fun, but I was trying to make a living, and you can’t do that in a jail cell in Bermuda.”

“No.” Sonny chuckled. “No, you can’t. I’m sorry to keep bugging you about her.”

“You’re meeting them again tomorrow, aren’t you?”

“Yeah. We want to get enough to make sure they go down for a long time.”

“Good.” She looked down at the papers. “I don’t want to hear her on the radio again.”

“You won’t darlin’. You have my word on that. Now let’s go below and I’ll see about making us some dinner. Then maybe we can take the Scarab out on the water.”

“That would be nice. I’d rather take the Dance, though.”

“Maybe once this case is over I’ll take a couple of days and we can just sail out wherever we want.” Sonny smiled. The idea felt good. “Yeah, I’ll do that. I’ve got time coming and then some. It’ll be good to get away. We can look over the stuff for Caitlin’s House and just be together.”

“I’d like that.” She got to her feet, looking suddenly vulnerable and alone. “Sonny…don’t underestimate her. Please. There’s something about her. I could never touch it, but it was there. She’s evil. Don’t let her fool you. Or any of the others.”

“We won’t, Jenny. I promise. Now let’s get below and eat so we can get to sea in time to see the sunset.” He smiled, but inside a little seed of worry took root. She was afraid of Monaele. He’d felt it before but now he was sure. And that seed also nestled next to a growing kernel of anger. Not Rico’s kind of blazing outburst, or even his old Sonny tantrums. But a cold, steady Burnett anger. He wasn’t sure what he’d do when they met Monaele and Hoffmann tomorrow night. But he knew if they tried anything funny Burnett would come on full force. And they weren’t ready for that, no matter how bad-ass they thought they were.

• Like 3

Glad you’re enjoying it! At the rate it’s going it’s going to be the third TF novel, although not as long as the first two. 

Edited by Robbie C.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

Glad you’re enjoying it! At the rate it’s going it’s going to be the third TF novel, although not as long as the first two. 

I agree enjoyable and pure escapism.

• Thanks 1