Finally finished watching the whole series.

zidders

I started watching back on October 2nd of 2019. At the time I'd been listening to a lot of retrowave music and discovered NBC let you stream episodes free. After watching a few I borrowed a friends complete DVD set (the really nice one from 2007 that comes in the white faux alligator skin box) and have been obsessed ever since. I won't get into what my favorite episodes are (more than a few) or what one's I thought sucked (maybe three or four total). The truth is I've spent almost half a year getting to know  deep characters that weren't and aren't like many others on TV. Miami Vice's heavy focus on telling good stories and on worldbuilding made watching the show feel more like I did whenever I read something like Tolkien's Lord of the Rings or Stephen Kings Gunslinger series. With Miami Vice despite my only having watched it since October the characters were so complex and stories on the whole so well thought out I feel like it's been years. 

I guess what I'm saying is this show helped shape a lot of my interests when I was young and now I can see why. It's affected me in a profound way. Sonny, Rico and all their partners at the OCB might not always have been the best cops as far as following the law or respecting people's rights goes but I think they were good cops at heart. All I know is I'm sure I'll continue watching episodes every now and again. Of course I've been obsessed with the music since I was a kid and always will be. I just know that one bit impact this has had on me is my ability to write drama has improved a lot. Usually I'm only able to write happy, cheerful funny stuff but for a story to be any good you have to have some bad stuff. too. Otherwise the good doesn't feel as gratifying when it happens. 

To me that's the story of Miami Vice. It's a glimpse of how bad humanity can get so we can hopefully better appreciate the good around us when we see it. 

Edited by zidders

3 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

If you need another fix you might try digging through the fan fiction part of this site.

I'm a little afraid to. I have so much fanfic to write as it is I'm worried i'll get distracted. I've written over 300 fics since I began writing again back in 2013. Most of them have never been published for lack of an editor. I loath editing. I'll check it out though. I'm a sucker for expanded headcanon. :)