Eddie Van Halen Has Died

Scot from S.C.

He passed away from cancer; he was 65. His band was one of the biggest rock bands in the 80s, and they even had an album titled 1984. This year, 2020, has been incredible in a bad way. 

Edited by Scot from S.C.
Punctuation

1 minute ago, Scot from S.C. said:

He passed away from cancer; he was 65. His band was one of the biggest rock bands in the 80s, and they even had an album titled 1984. This year, 2020, has been incredible in a bad way. 

So very sad.

image.png.584d161ec1af0ff64afd1f5a2bd8ec25.png

Man, this is a hard one!!  I remember only playing guitar for about a week when I tried to learn "Eruption".  That was a mistake.  Rock on Eddie!  You inspired me and countless others!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

Legend. Really. One of the greatest to ever touch the instrument. RIP

I'd put him and Hendrix in the same bracket. They both totally redefined guitar AND had very unique sounds that are almost impossible to copy. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

I'd put him and Hendrix in the same bracket. They both totally redefined guitar AND had very unique sounds that are almost impossible to copy. 

Indeed, Sir.

Wes Montgomery is also perfectly described by your words, though he is in a lesser-known genre. 

Very true. There are some other lesser-known rock folks as well. Jake E. Lee is in my view the best guitarist Ozzy ever had...no contest (to give one example). But Eddie was one of a kind. And actually quite mysterious in his own way. Another similarity with Hendrix. They're both more experienced than known in a personal sense. Like Eddie appearing at Dimebag Darryl's funeral and having the black and yellow guitar from Van Halen II placed on the coffin.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

Very true. There are some other lesser-known rock folks as well. Jake E. Lee is in my view the best guitarist Ozzy ever had...no contest (to give one example). But Eddie was one of a kind. And actually quite mysterious in his own way. Another similarity with Hendrix. They're both more experienced than known in a personal sense. Like Eddie appearing at Dimebag Darryl's funeral and having the black and yellow guitar from Van Halen II placed on the coffin.

Jake was awesome.  People seem to get upset when you put him above Randy and Zakk, but I agree he was the best.