Episode #9 "Glades"

Ferrariman

I just did that jaunt down 75 from Miami to SW Florida the other day. A few hours from coast to coast. The girls w/ guns scenes playing in my head. It’s now a 2 lane in each direction hwy. RT41 now looks just like the hwy did in the girls w/ guns scenes & that really goes through the glades.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Trivia/calling all—group effort:

Any 80s toy experts here? I was just wondering if anyone ever noticed the figurines Crockett uses to plan the raid on the Columbians’ hideout. They look to be the size of the Star Wars and G. I. Joe figures that were such big sellers at the time. I had some of both as a kid, but the ones Crockett is using don’t look familiar to me at a glance. 

Anyone? :radar:

It's really difficult to make out, but it looks more like Fisher Price Adventure People which Kenner actually got the idea to go 3 3/4 scale for Star Wars. You can see here:

http://www.fpclub.org/adventurefigures.html

I am an occasional Star Wars and other action figure collector but nothing jumps out at me in that scene. But it is really dark and hard to tell. I have the white alligator dvds not blu ray though. I wouldn't be surprised if they used some off-brand knock-offs or even kit-bashed some figures together to avoid some kind of rights issue or something.

Edited by Bren10
  • Thanks 1

I think you're right about the roof figure, Bren. It's also possible that the whole set is tied to the house and it was one of those generic knock-offs someone had on hand. Seems kinda convenient that the figures and the house are the same approximate scale.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

My son Miles used to watch “Glades” with me he when was 4-5 years old.

He’s 9 now. 

Earlier today, out of nowhere, he grabbed his 3 year old sister and said (in his best hillbilly accent), “If I twitch she’s gone.”

I faithfully replied, “maybe...you won’t even...twitch...”

There is hope for tomorrow after all :) 

Here are Miles and Millie from last summer: 

02CB8FE5-A518-4113-A37B-4895CE172DB9.jpeg

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

I had that Helicopter/Sub toy when I was a kid, that brings back memories...

Kind of a throw-away episode for me, a not too serious escapade into the unglamorous part of Florida. The opening shots look like they were pulled from a documentary and shot way before the early 80s. Looked more like late 70s Miami. Does anyone have more info on this? The DeLorean really stood out, a funny touch considering it precedes Back to the Future. Also liked seeing the Miami Hurricanes Football 1984 schedule on the wall behind Crockett and Tubbs when they and the locals are sizing each other up. Slick work from Crockett in the hostage situation, first when he spots the guy in the mirror and blows him away through the door, and then of course with the non-twitch headshot. Again, reminiscent of the final scene in the 2006 film with Trudy being held hostage, similar circumstances.

Also noticed that they used the same actor/stunt man (Jesus Bolano) from the final shootout by the pool with Calderon in Episode 5. He is the Colombian that tries to take a final shot at Crockett (or Joey?)  and gets lit up by the blunderbuss. He's one menacing looking guy!

bolano.jpg.9395fee5e06e0ca3f97891245c60c208.jpg

Edited by GoombayPunch

• 1 month later...

Kudos to the actor Sonny shot in the end scene. He really sold that shot.

Even without blood that scene was suprising and pretty graphic when I first saw it as a kid.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I, uh... really don't know what the hell they were trying to do here.

That montage at the start, set to "We Gotta Get Out of This Place", is actually great, but like... did they just do that to tease us over the fact that we'd spend most of the rest of the hour looking at the same patch of swamp? Give us a bunch of great shots of Miami before we head off into Shrekland? Hahahahahaha

I feel like there was some kind of opportunity/effort taken to make a commentary here, when the old man is talking about how he ended up muling weed for the bad guy and whatnot. Like the way that places like the Everglades, those people so often fall between the cracks of the system and basically have to brew moonshine or run drugs to provide for their families, there could've been a really good statement on the social condition of that, but the episode pretty much mentions it once and then sets it aside.

Crockett's "you might not even twitch" is a great moment, I guess I just wish it was in a good episode instead of... this. I know that I've got absolute sludge like "Missing Hours" and "The Big Thaw" waiting for me down the line, and when I get to those I'm gonna look back and regret being so mean to "Glades", but nonetheless... 1/10.

EDIT: Oh, forgot to mention... this is the second episode in a row that ends completely out of nowhere. Might as well have freeze framed on the old man laughing with his two teeth after he killed a guy with his malfunctioning blunderbuss. I'd probably have given the episode a 10 if they did that.

Edited by zachbmarsh

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/27/2010 at 12:12 AM, ViceFanMan said:

This episode was just kind of an "ehh" episode, if you know what I mean. It didn't really have much of the "Vice" style...and was more about the hick-backwoods hill-billy druggies of the Florida everglades. I'm not one for the hick-stupid or hill-billy episodes of shows, to try and be funny. It's just not funny to me...just stupid and irritating. Some of the action was good--and there was some funny lines. I also like the end...where they show up at the last minute to nail the bad guy in court. But, the rest was just weird and kind of boring. :rolleyes:

Also, I thought for the time a part of this episode was very violent--when Crockett shoots the bad guy (holding the little girl) in front of the little girl. :eek: I'm sure this was probably realistic...but for the time I was very surprised they allowed that scene to stay in since it delt with a child being exposed to that right in front of her. Anyway, by no means the worst episode...but still not one of Season 1's (or the series') best. I gave it a 5. 

On 11/19/2010 at 8:26 PM, ViceFanMan said:

"Glades" is by no means the worst episode...but it really was not that good or memorable to me. The title basically says it all--it just revolved around the pathetic lives of drug-dealing, back-woods, hill-billies. Some of the action was okay...but some of the violence with that little girl present surprised me! Now days I wouldn't even question it (sadly pretty much anything is allowed on TV now :eek:) but for the time I was surprised the network allowed them to keep the scene where Crockett has to blow away that guy right in front of her--I think the bad guy was even still holding her! Not the worst but not one of my favorites either. When I originally voted on it, I gave it a 5.

These were a couple of my original reviews and/or thoughts on this episode. Gotta be honest...not much has changed with my views. Still pretty much a boring, “ehh” episode. The best or most enjoyable part was ‘Pops’...the old toothless, gator-geezard with his alligator gun, lol. :) To me this is just a Season 1 “filler”. 

(P.S. Unless they were trying to be outed as undercover city cops...who takes a Ferrari Daytona into the Everglades to supposedly go fishing? ?(

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2020 at 8:06 PM, GoombayPunch said:

I had that Helicopter/Sub toy when I was a kid, that brings back memories...

Kind of a throw-away episode for me, a not too serious escapade into the unglamorous part of Florida. The opening shots look like they were pulled from a documentary and shot way before the early 80s. Looked more like late 70s Miami. Does anyone have more info on this? The DeLorean really stood out, a funny touch considering it precedes Back to the Future. Also liked seeing the Miami Hurricanes Football 1984 schedule on the wall behind Crockett and Tubbs when they and the locals are sizing each other up. Slick work from Crockett in the hostage situation, first when he spots the guy in the mirror and blows him away through the door, and then of course with the non-twitch headshot. Again, reminiscent of the final scene in the 2006 film with Trudy being held hostage, similar circumstances.

Also noticed that they used the same actor/stunt man (Jesus Bolano) from the final shootout by the pool with Calderon in Episode 5. He is the Colombian that tries to take a final shot at Crockett (or Joey?)  and gets lit up by the blunderbuss. He's one menacing looking guy!

bolano.jpg.9395fee5e06e0ca3f97891245c60c208.jpg

He's in "Milk Run" as well and "Band of the Hand"

• 3 months later...

"Glades" is particularly memorable for me as I taped parts of it on an audio cassette - something I liked to do at that time before VCRs made that redundant.  The opening scenes of Miami Squalor with the Animals' grungy song playing was a bit of a shock as the show had been sharp and sleek up until then.  The teaser scene concerning guarding Bramlette has a quirky, laidback quality, still unusual for a TV show then.  I always crack up at Stan and Larry sitting cowed like schoolboys as Castillo glares down at them for letting Bramlette get away.  

Nice brief scene at Harry's Bar.  Dang, those foxy boxers sure were hot with their ponytails whipping around.  No credit for them?  Then we get to one of the music highlights of MV - Tommy Shaw's "Girls With Guns" blasting as Crockett and Tubbs "gun" their way down to the everglades. I recall being disappointed that this track was not on the soundtrack album the following year.   It's funny seeing Pankow as a hillbilly; he usually plays urban types.  It gets really Deliverance-creepy during the 'glade scenes.  The actors playing the "swamp dwellers" seem like the real deal - it almost gets too unpleasant to watch.  In fact, the drug corruption of this community is very depressing.  

It's an interesting, if grimy, change of pace for MV.  It would get too repetitious if all we see are boat races, chic parties and the Daytona zipping down Miami streets to "In the Air Tonight." 

Edited by Jack Gretsky
  • Like 3

• 10 months later...
8 minutes ago, airtommy said:

Rental Rehab reviewed "Glades":

https://wherebadmovieslive.wordpress.com/2010/08/15/miami-vice-monday-glades/

I don't like their reviews.  Too snarky and disrespectful, and also they bring in political correctness.  But, it's always interesting to read a critic's opinions of the show.

I never pay attention to critics for movies & TV shows...they’re usually purposely negative & disrespectful (sometimes even paid to be), and their thoughts & views are inaccurate, unrealistic/unrelatable, and ridiculous. Hollywood morons who don’t get-it...or don’t care to. Also “political correctness” is polite slang for realistically incorrect, immoral, and hateful/divisive. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 10/30/2019 at 2:55 PM, RedDragon86 said:

Sonny actually mentions that they don't stand a chance against them early on but his strategic plan worked a treat. 

He did learn a thing or two from 'Nam. didn't he?

On 7/20/2022 at 5:06 AM, airtommy said:

Rental Rehab reviewed "Glades":

https://wherebadmovieslive.wordpress.com/2010/08/15/miami-vice-monday-glades/

I don't like their reviews.  Too snarky and disrespectful, and also they bring in political correctness.  But, it's always interesting to read a critic's opinions of the show.

That's right! I hate when these 'modern' reviews say 'this is sexist nowadays', 'that is misogynist"..... 

I do like this episode, not as bad as some people make it to be. And watching this fresh of Ozark put a smile on my face. Of course most of the rednecks and hillbillies depicted in this show are more likeable, especially the old man with almost no teeth.
Nice change from the usual urban Miami setting. Favorite scenes are the drive to glades with 'girls with guns', the boat ride, the final shootout a la 'Dirty Harry' and of course 'pop' saving Crockett's ass with his civil war machine gun :).

I would have perhaps included some Vietnam jungle flashbacks for Sonny during the swamps scenes to add some character background early on in the series and as a hint of PTSD residues.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sdiegolo78 said:

I do like this episode, not as bad as some people make it to be. And watching this fresh of Ozark put a smile on my face. Of course most of the rednecks and hillbillies depicted in this show are more likeable, especially the old man with almost no teeth.
Nice change from the usual urban Miami setting. Favorite scenes are the drive to glades with 'girls with guns', the boat ride, the final shootout a la 'Dirty Harry' and of course 'pop' saving Crockett's ass with his civil war machine gun :).

I would have perhaps included some Vietnam jungle flashbacks for Sonny during the swamps scenes to add some character background early on in the series and as a hint of PTSD residues.

Originally this was not one of my favorites...but, over the years & time it’s grown on me. I actually kind of like it, now. :funky:

The shootout at the end is pretty cool, but my favorite part, though, is ‘Pops’ with his antique “gator gun”! :dance2: 

I may be wrong on this, but I think it was some model of an old Blunderbuss gun. Hilarious, but awesome part! :)

I’ve heard about Ozark from some friends...I might have to check that show out sometime soon! :thumbsup: 

18 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

I’ve heard about Ozark from some friends...I might have to check that show out sometime soon! :thumbsup: 

you won't be disappointed, guaranteed! And it's still on Netflix.

Edited by sdiegolo78
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sdiegolo78 said:

you won't be disappointed, guaranteed! And it's still on Netflix.

It’s a Netflix production, so it probably won’t go away. I’ll have to check it out soon. :thumbsup:

• Like 1