Miami Vice documentary by Indigo Gaming on YouTube

ivoryjones

Not sure if this has been already addressed here, but a couple of months ago a Miami Vice documentary appeared on YouTube. It's from Indigo Gaming, a video game company/profile which I've never heard before. Surprisingly (my initial thoughts were that 90% of the time would be about video games), to my taste it was a very cool doc. Nice info, insights and cool production (and relatively long running time!).

Here it is:

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, ivoryjones said:

Not sure if this has been already addressed here, but a couple of months ago a Miami Vice documentary appeared on YouTube. It's from Indigo Gaming, a video game company/profile which I've never heard before. Surprisingly (my initial thoughts were that 90% of the time would be about video games), to my taste it was a very cool doc. Nice info, insights and cool production (and relatively long running time!).

Here it is:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I think was mentioned in at least one more topic, too, but doesn’t matter. The more fans see it, the better! Great stuff. :thumbsup:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much, @Dadrian and sorry all for the repeated content. I was glad to see they addressed later seasons. At some point the voiceover states "some of the best and worst episodes in the series came under Dick Wolf's new role as [co-]executive producer", which as far as I know it means S4. That's nice, once usually we only get reviews stating "the worst" was S4. I also could not believe Dick Wolf said there were no stories on MV before him. I appreciate his work on Vice, S3 is my favorite (by then DW was "only" co-producer), but come on Dick…

• Like 4

17 hours ago, ivoryjones said:

Thank you very much, @Dadrian and sorry all for the repeated content. I was glad to see they addressed later seasons. At some point the voiceover states "some of the best and worst episodes in the series came under Dick Wolf's new role as [co-]executive producer", which as far as I know it means S4. That's nice, once usually we only get reviews stating "the worst" was S4. I also could not believe Dick Wolf said there were no stories on MV before him. I appreciate his work on Vice, S3 is my favorite (by then DW was "only" co-producer), but come on Dick…

I love Season 3 too ! Probably my fav season because of the Rossa and Persol shades. Also there were still memorable and classic tunes from Jan Hammer that reminded us to S1 and S2. Killshot, Red Tape, Shadow in the Dark,Good Collar and a bunch of good episodes in there.

• Like 3

Thanks for posting this! I just started watching. At first I was thinking this was an AI voiceover piece but I looked into it and Erik Peabody is credited as doing the voiceover. He’s quite good. I get annoyed with all the AI voiceovers in videos nowadays. With this documentary, they definitely used AI video upscaling for certain clips though. Sometimes it looks natural, sometimes it looks odd.

Edited by AndrewRemington
  • Like 4

20 hours ago, Dadrian said:

The more fans see it, the better! Great stuff. :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, AndrewRemington said:

Thanks for posting this! I just started watching.

Case in point :done:

• Like 2

It's funny how you can watch a TV show for nearly 40 years but still every now and then someone comes up with some insights that change a bit the way you see it. I don't remember in what moment they address this on the Indigo Gaming doc, but at a particular point they connect Arthur Lawson (Artie Rollins) and Hank Weldon to Crockett's breakdown on S4/S5. The way they do it is so "organic" -- as if Crockett's fall were a ghost that was always around -- that I wonder if Crockett eventually becoming Burnett was a possibility considered by the producers/writers since the early days of the show. That was in the pilot episode: “Darling, sometimes I remember who I am”. Probably we'll never know, of course.

It's always beyond my understanding how someone can create characters that just seem to be so real, personality-wise. Have no clue how they do it. I'm not even sure if there was some sort of "character development" over the years regarding Crockett, because one could say something even bigger than that -- that the character was fully developed from the start, everything was always there, it was just waiting for the right ep to show up.

• Like 4

Yes I think his prior life and personality somehow prepared him for the role.  Makes you wonder how much of it was acting and how much was DJ just being himself or what he really thought about life.  He has been praised enough but one of the best things you can say about him is that Vice would not be such an entertainment and cultural phenomenon without him.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, ivoryjones said:

It's funny how you can watch a TV show for nearly 40 years but still every now and then someone comes up with some insights that change a bit the way you see it. I don't remember in what moment they address this on the Indigo Gaming doc, but at a particular point they connect Arthur Lawson (Artie Rollins) and Hank Weldon to Crockett's breakdown on S4/S5. The way they do it is so "organic" -- as if Crockett's fall were a ghost that was always around -- that I wonder if Crockett eventually becoming Burnett was a possibility considered by the producers/writers since the early days of the show. That was in the pilot episode: “Darling, sometimes I remember who I am”. Probably we'll never know, of course.

It's always beyond my understanding how someone can create characters that just seem to be so real, personality-wise. Have no clue how they do it. I'm not even sure if there was some sort of "character development" over the years regarding Crockett, because one could say something even bigger than that -- that the character was fully developed from the start, everything was always there, it was just waiting for the right ep to show up.

I think Burnett was always planned, assuming there was enough time and DJ to do it.  The first two seasons contain the prophetic conversation with Gina in the pilot, Crockett himself making a lot of gripes and remarks about the identity issues the job gives him ("what are you like, really?   Flipside of Burnett?" "That... gets a little cloudy sometimes."), and the appearance of Burnett in his "true form" at the end of "Sons & Lovers".  Once DJ decided to return during the second season, they had enough time to run the Hackman/Caitlin/Burnett arc over three years.

17 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Yes I think his prior life and personality somehow prepared him for the role.  Makes you wonder how much of it was acting and how much was DJ just being himself or what he really thought about life.  He has been praised enough but one of the best things you can say about him is that Vice would not be such an entertainment and cultural phenomenon without him.

I have also wondered (and joked with a friend) "is he acting...?" and the answer is partly "no".  https://archive.ph/iHjBR (Fixed link)

Also: Mintz said he knew Johnson was “home” when he first saw “Miami Vice.” He adds, “That character (Sonny Crockett) was an extension of things Don had done. He drove fancy cars when he was broke and wore fancy clothes when he couldn’t afford them . . . and he always had this effect on people. When he walked into a room, women--especially--reacted and sometimes in the most unabashed way . . . and I’m talking about long before ‘Miami Vice.’ ”

Apart from saying Crockett's gold watches were pretentious and he wouldn't wear one, I think he largely got to be himself with a tweaked background and accent, and the people in charge of MV were fortunate in having such a strikingly charismatic individual as Sonny.

When he was more obviously acting (Burnett), it was also fascinating to watch, although I think Burnett was drawn from a lot of his experiences and personality as well, as he's gone on to play some other (even worse) bad boys pretty notably.

Edited by NeonHumidity
  • Like 2

Not a bad documentary. Watching it now. 

As has been mentioned, Season 3 was really good. I think the quality was pretty consistent throughout.  It definitely has a different feel from seasons 1 & 2 but it’s still very good. 

• Like 1