Episode #7 "No Exit"

Ferrariman

4 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Well I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who wondered about this scene :) 

Naa, I’ve wondered about this before, too. As much as I love MV...it didn’t always take the realistic or even the fully “explainable” route. ;) Sometimes I think we weren’t supposed to question it...because there was no explanation. We’re just supposed to “go” with it and enjoy the visuals. :dance2:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

We’re just supposed to “go” with it and enjoy the visuals.

Yes, that’s my specialty! :) (well, enjoying the visuals and music—gets me through a lot of scenes/entire episodes that would otherwise be unbearable). 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Yes, that’s my specialty! :) (well, enjoying the visuals and music—gets me through a lot of scenes/entire episodes that would otherwise be unbearable). 

Interesting!

3 hours ago, Dadrian said:

There are a few later season episodes (Seasons 4-5) that can be almost unbearable...especially with the poor plots. But, yes the visuals & music do help, lol! :D

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

This is my #1 episode of season 1, and a strong candidate for my all-time best MV ep.  This was a very powerful hour of intrigue and heartbreak the first time I saw it - there's the unspeakably vile way Amato treats his wife, the sheer terror at what those missiles are capable of, and the last few seconds of the show where everything spins out of control.  Katharine Borowitz's helpless frustration at her monster of a husband being sprung is deeply felt - and then we realize she has a "back-up plan."  Anyone else think that if the scene extended past Sonny's iconic "NO!" freeze-frame that Rita would then turn the gun on herself?

Bruce Willis.  The first time I, and everyone else (aside from perceptive people who caught his visage as an extra in movies like The First Deadly Sin and The Verdict), ever encountered this charismatic and brilliant new star.  I remember watching "Moonlighting" and an episode of the new "Twilight Zone" - an adaptation of Harlan Ellison's "Shatterday" - the following year just to catch more Bruce.  His Amato is such an evil asshole that you want to reach through your viewing screen and strangle the beast yourself! (Especially that scene where he shoves Rita into the pool after she clearly has spent a good deal of time getting herself ready. - I can't believe that some people here find her extraneous; she's the whole heart of this ep!)

Music: Phil Collins' "I Don't Care Anymore" is maybe my favorite track of his - it has such a desperate sound to it.  It would have been a shame if it had never been snagged for MV.  Hammer's score fittingly takes after it depicting Rita's feelings of desperation. 

A superb slice of TV.  Even if I never watched an episode of Miami Vice again, this one would "stay with me" forever. 

Edit: Oh, almost forgot - as if this ep isn't great enough, it also has the terrific Coati Mundi in it in that opening "Scarface" like teaser.

Edited by Jack Gretsky
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

I have watched this numerous times but it always feel different every time. It's good enough to be the pilot, but its better.

This episode is quintessential.

Miami Vice: ep = Perfection.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

I have watched this numerous times but it always feel different every time. It's good enough to be the pilot, but its better.

This episode is quintessential.

Miami Vice: ep = Perfection.

I agree.  This is the episode where the series found itself, I feel.  It has a great opening scene with the team, and the often used theme of conflicting goals with federal agents.  The pilot is fantastic but has no Castillo.  This one also has the iconic pink house and the St. Vitus Dance gets out of the slip! :thumbsup:  It’s not my favorite of all, but very much in my top five.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, OCBman said:

I heard Bruce Willis is retiring from acting. Was his Tony Amato in "No Exit" really his first credited role?

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000246/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Seems you are right. I hadn´t thought this!

He is listed with three roles before MV on IMDb, but all uncredited. Amazing.

Edited by Glades
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Glades said:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000246/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Seems you are right. I hadn´t thought this!

He is listed with three roles before MV on IMDb, but all uncredited. Amazing.

True, but they all 3 say “uncredited”. 

I haven’t seen these films, but I’d be surprised if Bruce had any lines in them. 

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

True, but they all 3 say “uncredited”

As I said :)

13 hours ago, Glades said:

with three roles before MV on IMDb, but all uncredited.

:rain: 

I am never one who idolizes actors/actresses.  They are artists with a medium they work in to communicate their skills and their art---that part I will always respect and award.  
It's important to see that celebrities get scarred and cut by the same things that tear up us 'common citizens'... I can't say it's NICE to see, or "comforting" to see, or "deserving to see" them get hit by these things,... because SOME of the hits are pretty brutal illnesses and sufferings that are unfair for ANYONE to be slapped with.  

The "importance" from it is that we be reminded NOT to worship actors and actresses the way we do----their press agents and "Holywood" machinery do their best to "hide" to "divert" the truths about how regular and flawed their fabulous stars are, and the publicity-controllers will often lie and spin a truth if it can't be fully hidden.  Yet I still feel it's important to be reminded Ronald Reagan suffered Alzheimer's, my fave Linda Ronstadt has a incurable Parkinsons-like palsy, Burt Lancaster suffered from his stroke, Sharon Stone suffered aphasia from her crushing stroke, and aphasia finally brought Bruce to his decisions.
Important but so humanly unfair.  Too many of the illness I mentioned slowly rob an artist of the very thing he relies on:  the ability to communicate his/her skill.  How do you rob Linda Ronstadt of the EPIC TIMECAPSULE LIBRARY that was her music memory?  How do you take from Burt Lancaster everything he can remember doing in his immense career (careers!!)?  
I know I'm going to die eventually, so when it's my time, just KILL me---don't take me apart slowly like lego blocks and this is some sort of game.  Some of us have put over 2 billion pieces into our lego creations!  Isn't that worth some kind of mercy, when it's time to on a way to kill me?

The Miami Vice episode was Bruce Willis just holding still long enough to fill the character as instructed, and make a suitable impression on camera.
For me, Bruce will always be "David" from Moonlighting.  Because I read somewhere that THAT was the REAL Bruce Willis: off-the-leash, uncooperative, little self-discipline for instruction, yet bitingly intelligent and having an objective for himself.  
I think of the original Die Hard as the last time we see those portions of the real Bruce still retained in front of a lens.  Nearly any movie that came later looked like Bruce "played down" or restrained, or just "attempted copy from inferior materials".
Now, as time goes by with aphasia, how does Bruce express and communicate "Bruce" to others anymore?

So I don't worship these actors, but I do have a heart for the mean WAY life decides to close their book. :rain:

Edited by Augusta
  • Like 2

I never cared for Moonlighting, honestly. I was in the Remington Steele camp.

I think you still see an interesting side of Bruce in The Fifth Element. The Last Boy Scout is somewhat similar. In both you have a character who's unwilling to change because someone tells him to, driven by something that's outside himself, and more intelligent than people want to admit.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

I never cared for Moonlighting, honestly

But the theme song was amazing!

Unless you hate Al Jarreau :) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/31/2022 at 4:18 PM, Dadrian said:

But the theme song was amazing!

Unless you hate Al Jarreau :) 

One of my favorite tv show theme songs (after "Vice", of course, hehe).

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 6/8/2021 at 5:28 PM, Tom said:

Yep. He slapped his wife and sold stingers for shooting down commercial airplanes but he would never have blown up a Ferrari! :p

He was a man of taste. He even owned a chauffeur driven Maserati "biturbo" :)

26 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

male* of taste

No real man hits a woman :) :p

Agreed! I saw this episode as a kid when it originally aired, and the impact Bruce Willis had on me has forever remained! Even with Moonlighting, the “Die Hard” movies, and all his other films throughout the years...every time I see Willis I immediately think of the wife-beating, illegal weapons dealer Tony Amato! I’m sure he’d cringe if he knew that. :)  Amazing actor...but this early role (possibly one of his first ones) will always be what comes to mind for me. :p

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

male* of taste

No real man hits a woman :) :p

well, aside from beating his wife of course...he gets his comeuppance in the end

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I always found this episode uncomfortable to watch because of its antagonist (I've always hated bullying and abusive behaviour, especially against animals and people who can't defend themselves, children, particularly). With that said, the music does save the story, and the finale feels like one hell of a payoff (in a good way).

1 hour ago, Swevicus said:

I always found this episode uncomfortable to watch because of its antagonist (I've always hated bullying and abusive behaviour, especially against animals and people who can't defend themselves, children, particularly). With that said, the music does save the story, and the finale feels like one hell of a payoff (in a good way).

I've said this before, but I watched this as a kid when it originally aired...and was the first thing I ever saw Bruce Willis in. It had such an impact on me, that from then on, no matter what I saw Willis in--whether it was Moonlighting, the "Die Hard" movies, etc...I always thought of the wife abusing, psycho illegal weapons dealer, Tony Amato! :) I'm sure Willis would have "loved" that. :p This was an amazingly well done episode...to the point that nowadays when I watch it--which ironically I just watched again last night, I fast forward through the abusing scenes. I've seen it enough before, and dealt with real life bullying and abuse (from other people, not my family...and with working with troubled kids now as an adult), that I don't care to see it every time either. ;) But...what a superb, masterpiece of an ending!! :clap:

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

After watching this brilliant episode again last night I think it's so fascinating that Marty knows from the get go that Amato is untouchable, even though his team tries to bust him anyway.

In moment's like this it makes his character so captivating and on another level from everybody else.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 3