What's your favourite Jan Hammer tune?

KaeptnCaipi

The tune from "Smuggler's Blues" When C&T go into the empty nightclub (halfway through the episode). That music is legit creepy. After rewatching that episode last month, I was honestly a bit scared to go to sleep because the music kept lingering in my head for a few nights afterwards. Scary music has always given me problems with falling asleep, even old videogames I used to play as a kid had some scary music that made falling asleep difficult lol. Why is it my favorite? Because of the impression it left on me of course. I still love that, even as an adult, the right music can still make my imagination run away with me. Something I hate that we lose as we get older.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

This is one of my favourites, the melody is so beautiful. It's cool that some of these pieces were only used in one episode.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Matt5 said:

I love this too also heard extensively in “Prodigal Son” and also in “Knock Knock Who’s There...?”.

Thankyou @Crockettt

I remember watching the pilot for the first time in 2012 and this was the part that made me fall in love with the show.

The eeire music as Crockett's driving to the meet in his speedboat. The way C&Ts are introduced to each other and the chase scene. I wasn't expecting it to be so cool.

17 minutes ago, Vincent Hanna said:

I remember watching the pilot for the first time in 2012 and this was the part that made me fall in love with the show.

The eeire music as Crockett's driving to the meet in his speedboat. The way C&Ts are introduced to each other and the chase scene. I wasn't expecting it to be so cool.

Yes this was cool and in the dark and dirty Miami River up by the airport. Such a great scene and theme which I also loved over the opening credits of “Prodigal Son” a year later.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Vincent Hanna said:

"I'm going to be wearing an Armani blazer, you're going to be wearing a wire"

Such a cool line.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Administrators

I recently just gained a new appreciation for The Trial And The Search. Such a masterpiece, I never realised. Relaxing vibes, the solo, then the transition into The Search. :happy:

Did anybody mention it here? I feel like it's underrated.

Maybe a 2021 theme song. 

6 hours ago, James said:

I recently just gained a new appreciation for The Trial And The Search. Such a masterpiece, I never realised. Relaxing vibes, the solo, then the transition into The Search. :happy:

Did anybody mention it here? I feel like it's underrated.

Maybe a 2021 theme song. 

As you may know, that version was originally released on “Escape from Television” in the late 80s. Glad you found it! I love it too, and for the same reasons!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

This is my all time favourite. 

High on my to-do list for sure! :fireworks:

There are a few covers that I have all the sounds for, just waiting to be made, and this is one of them! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

High on my to-do list for sure! :fireworks:

There are a few covers that I have all the sounds for, just waiting to be made, and this is one of them! :thumbsup:

It's so badass :)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, summer84 said:

Especially the part at 2:00 and onward. 

Yes! Such a beautiful release at that point. 

• Like 2

vor 38 Minuten schrieb summer84:

I've mentioned all my favorites in this thread, but Angelina's theme is my top favorite. I love this theme. 

https://youtu.be/crF9aOYh74E Especially the part at 2:00 and onward. 

Exactly that part around 2:00 was setting in at the end of Mirror Image when Burnett speeded off in his boat and Tubbs missed him. The last Hammer tune in the series has a special place.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tom said:

Exactly that part around 2:00 was setting in at the end of Mirror Image when Burnett speeded off in his boat and Tubbs missed him.

Thus, as I’ve said before, one of the most emotional moments of the series for me (not necessarily because it’s “the last JH cue”, but how perfectly the mood of the song fits the situation). The colors of the Pink House also lend to the vibe of that music. 

• Like 1

In LMD when Jackie and Rico are talking in the Safe House the first time.  :happy:  Jan Hammer has a remarkable ability to write emotive themes that perfectly fit the characters and the scene. 

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/17/2021 at 1:50 PM, LarryZito said:

Like LarryZito, I like "Ira Stone" too. I like it because it is very emotional. I also like episodes where "Rain" appears.

Edited by Jack Slowski

1 hour ago, LarryZito said:

"Ira Stone"

Man, I REALLY need to update that cover. One of my earliest memories of MV as a child. 

• Administrators
On 1/21/2021 at 9:39 AM, summer84 said:

I've mentioned all my favorites in this thread, but Angelina's theme is my top favorite. I love this theme. 

https://youtu.be/crF9aOYh74E Especially the part at 2:00 and onward. 

One of my favorites too.  However, I'd like to hear a version without the extras (at the 1:22 mark) that Jan added on the "(In-Complete Collection"  I understand why he added it but it was such a soothing piece without it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ferrariman said:

One of my favorites too.  However, I'd like to hear a version without the extras (at the 1:22 mark) that Jan added on the "(In-Complete Collection"  I understand why he added it but it was such a soothing piece without it.

Yes sir! Case in point:

Edited by Dadrian
  • Like 1