Out Where The Buses Don't Run

miamijimf

Came across this whilst researching this location - the old The Key Biscayne Hotel and Villas (Ocean Club in this fall 1985 episode) at 701 Ocean Drive, Key Biscayne. The pool and palm trees in the first picture is seen in the background in a few frames in the episode as our hero’s lunch with Weldon.:cheers:

827078D8-34AC-44D6-97F6-A5A58932ECFD.jpeg

11121676-1F7E-45B3-9056-F1C04CDABCD4.jpeg

5FA28BC1-73D3-4FD3-8516-E8B6AC75AFBE.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 4

Some more of the Key Biscayne Hotel and Villas from the 1950-1960s including the dining room we saw in this fall 1985 episode.

C0393EED-A967-4040-8AC7-3DAC13F40DD6.jpeg

43AEECC5-4D4E-47CD-A862-CC391507D5C3.png

A2C2D838-C75E-4D63-B5CD-E3C33CD72F26.jpeg

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

@Matt5 does this place still exist? I know it was solved recently, but I can’t remember if it’s now gone. 

Sadly long gone - it’s a location I would have loved to have seen. I visited the site a few years ago - pretty much next door to the hotel we see in “Great McCarthy”. (The Ritz Carlton)

http://www.miamivicelocations.org/page23.html

Edited by Matt5
  • Thanks 1

On 8/6/2019 at 2:01 PM, mjcmmv said:

This is such good MV background information. So interesting, Matt!

Thankyou that’s kind - Im pleased you appreciate the detail.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Based on the postcard Matt5 posted, the "Ocean Club" scene was filmed in the Cape Florida Room:

bus5.png.34d04ecd718f92d7a5c9a7206d6ff03f.png

capeflroom.jpeg.b7ce6dbec8cc0f4e303888792cb6fce0.jpeg

President Richard Nixon dined at the Cape Florida Room:

KEY BISCAYNE, Fla. (AP)

President Nixon provided 10-year- old Lisa Berry with a night to remember Saturday, inviting her to dance at dinner. The little girl with long, brown hair was among diners at the Key Biscayne Hotel where Nixon went for dinner and lingered to shake hands, chat and hand out autographed cards. He asked the girl if she wanted to dance and off they went to the empty dance floor. The orchestra got into the spirit of things and played "Thank Heaven For Little Girls" as the President danced with Lisa. The spectators in the Cape Florida Room of the hotel burst into applause. Lisa, daughter of, Mr. and Mrs. Robert E. Berrv. of Fort Lauder- dale, Fla., said the President was a good dancer.

Nixon arrived at the hotel, few blocks from his Key Biscayne home, with his wife, Pat, his friend C.G. "Bebe" Rebozo and Rebozo's friend Jane Lucke. Secret Service agents steered Nixon out a back door to avoid the crowd at the buffet table entrance. Outside, there was another crowd Chenault seeking news conference of greeters, including a number of Cubans. "Viva Nixon!" they shouted as the President started to enter his blue Lincoln convertible to leave. "Viva Los Cuanos. Los Cubanos- Americans," Nixon shouted back.

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/36278171/

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, airtommy said:

Based on the postcard Matt5 posted, the "Ocean Club" scene was filmed in the Cape Florida Room:

bus5.png.34d04ecd718f92d7a5c9a7206d6ff03f.png

capeflroom.jpeg.b7ce6dbec8cc0f4e303888792cb6fce0.jpeg

President Richard Nixon dined at the Cape Florida Room:

Great information.

• 1 year later...

These questions were possibly answered somewhere in all the posts here in the past...but I couldn’t find the info. What/where was the building that Hank lived in...supposedly originally owned by Acaro? Also, where was the abandoned building that Acaro was walled up in? 

43 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

These questions were possibly answered somewhere in all the posts here in the past...but I couldn’t find the info. What/where was the building that Hank lived in...supposedly originally owned by Acaro? Also, where was the abandoned building that Acaro was walled up in? 

Hank's place was at 4400 NE 2nd Ave (interior was a set).  The abandoned building is gone and CocoWalk is in its place in Coconut Grove.

Most known locations are posted at CGlide's website (not 100% up to date):

http://www.miamivicelocations2.org/page9.html

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, airtommy said:

Hank's place was at 4400 NE 2nd Ave (interior was a set).  The abandoned building is gone and CocoWalk is in its place in Coconut Grove.

Most known locations are posted at CGlide's website (not 100% up to date):

http://www.miamivicelocations2.org/page9.html

Yeah, the Art Deco apartment building, built in 1940, that was supposedly Hank’s (originally owned by Acaro) is still there. But, I figured the abandoned building (I guess sometimes called the “doll house”?) Acaro was in, was probably gone now...it looked half-gone then! 

vor 10 Stunden schrieb ViceFanMan:

Yeah, the Art Deco apartment building, built in 1940, that was supposedly Hank’s (originally owned by Acaro) is still there. But, I figured the abandoned building (I guess sometimes called the “doll house”?) Acaro was in, was probably gone now...it looked half-gone then! 

On the (mid)1986 satellite aerial it is still there. So it was razed somewhere around mid 1986 or after.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-13 um 18.42.18.png

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

On the (mid)1986 satellite aerial it is still there. So it was razed somewhere around mid 1986 or after.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-13 um 18.42.18.png

Yeah, it looked half-razed when they filmed “Buses” there...like it was already in the process of being torn down. C&T just walked in through a torn out wall. For whatever reason I guess it wasn’t fully demolished until sometime mid the next year. 

• 7 months later...

@Dadrian @miamijimf@airtommy

The new 1984 Historic aerials satellite issue gives us some new interesting capabilities, e.g. comparing the site of the doll house at the end of this episode between 1984 and 1986 (see below with the doll house marked with a red arrow). In August 1985 when the episode was filmed only the doll house stood, like in 1986. In 1984 the whole block was full of single buidings. Later they built CocoWalk on the spot. Interesting time travel!

Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-08 um 20.26.13.png

Edited by Tom
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

Most Stiltsville houses have been destroyed. 7 are left, the Bay Chateau house (see below) where Crockett&Tubbs&Weldon waited in the Scarab is one of them. Click to enlarge.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-10 um 01.01.59.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-10 um 00.59.02.png

• Like 7

• 5 months later...

I'm glad Bruce McGill got the role but Dennis Hopper would have done a good job.  He was great in Apocalypse Now.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 5

On 4/9/2022 at 4:03 PM, Tom said:

Most Stiltsville houses have been destroyed. 7 are left, the Bay Chateau house (see below) where Crockett&Tubbs&Weldon waited in the Scarab is one of them. Click to enlarge.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-10 um 01.01.59.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-10 um 00.59.02.png

I thought I read last year that one of them was destroyed by fire and only six remain now.  I don’t know any more details though.

Edit: 

I found this news report. 

https://www.wlrn.org/news/2021-01-11/another-piece-of-miami-lost-fire-guts-house-in-iconic-stiltsville-on-biscayne-bay?_amp=true

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

"A hit ... at the Ocean Club"

This is not the exact same spot within the Key Biscayne Hotel, but you can see this decoration is a match.

Miami Vice clip:

kb2.png.e7dec782de7fad1ea47a79b4b3dfb29e.png

1986 home video:

kb1.png.7af372b5a76716733a26eb84407b422f.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 4