Episode #37 "Little Miss Dangerous"

Ferrariman

The place where Jackie and Cat live is for sale.  The first floor is commercial with two floors of residential space above. Only a half block from the beach.

124 11th St
Miami Beach, FL 33139
$2,650,000
Price
Beds
Baths
Sq. Ft.

02672BBF-F8B4-42DE-B71F-186576A01B53.png

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 4

Interesting.  :thumbsup:  Man that place has been through a lot of changes.  Ground floor was a tattoo parlor for a while.  Cat was in it but I think their dressing room with Jackie was a set.

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/22/2020 at 2:48 AM, miamijimf said:

Interesting.  :thumbsup:  Man that place has been through a lot of changes.  Ground floor was a tattoo parlor for a while.  Cat was in it but I think their dressing room with Jackie was a set.

Cat was in the tattoo parlor - I can’t place that ?

18 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

Cat was in the tattoo parlor - I can’t place that ?

I saw that the lower level was a tattoo place on a street level view long after LMD was filmed.  The top two levels have have now been turned into a residence and is for sale.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched this brilliant episode again.

I know I have said this before but she really puts in an amazing performance. Did Fiona even act before this? the way she control's her character, and one that is tricky to pull off you would think she stepped out of Hollywood for this episode. 

• Like 2

Part of it also comes down to excellent writing. Frank Military always does good, dark, character-focused scripts, and you can see it this early in his career. I agree Fiona did a great job, but it also helped that she was given great stuff to work with. Guest stars weren't always so lucky.

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Watched this brilliant episode again.

I know I have said this before but she really puts in an amazing performance. Did Fiona even act before this? the way she control's her character, and one that is tricky to pull off you would think she stepped out of Hollywood for this episode. 

Good questions Red.  LMD was her first TV role.  She had a starring role in the '87 Movie Hearts of Fire with Bob Dylan generally considered a bust.  She never got a big break in Hollywood, a real shame.  I recommend you check out my friend David's great Fiona site.  He lives in Spain but his site is in English and he documents about everything she has done, movie roles, albums, music videos, songs, appearances etc etc.  He likes to hear from Fiona fans.

http://www.fionafansite.com/fiona_video.htm

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Robbie C. said:

Part of it also comes down to excellent writing. Frank Military always does good, dark, character-focused scripts, and you can see it this early in his career. I agree Fiona did a great job, but it also helped that she was given great stuff to work with. Guest stars weren't always so lucky.

The writing is brilliant for sure but it's her persona that grabs me, she was like a female Bundy. Her deceitful attitude was so well done.

Certain characters can have good writing put in front of them but act flimsy as well, like the the UK agent guy in Irish Eyes had good lines to work from but came across as predictable and stereotyped.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

The writing is brilliant for sure but it's her persona that grabs me, she was like a female Bundy. Her deceitful attitude was so well done.

Certain characters can have good writing put in front of them but act flimsy as well, like the the UK agent guy in Irish Eyes had good lines to work from but came across as predictable and a stereotyped English muffin.

Agree 100%! Writers can create good scripts/dialogue...but it takes the “right” actor or actress to truly bring that to life in a memorable way. :thumbsup: 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

This is not only one of my favorites of 2nd season...but one of my all time favorites of the series! The plot was wild, the filming locations were superb, the "dark" gritty feel of a lot of the episode being at night was sizzling in a different but awesome way, and Ted Nugent's song Little Miss Dangerous was chillingly perfect!! :radio: 

The whole episode was “haunting” and psychologically “dark”...but, Fiona "made" this episode! :clap: Talk about a sexy but lovable femme fatale! Yes, she was sexy and young, but she was also very deadly--and a sociopathic serial killer...yet you still found yourself caring for her and wanting to just hug her, and help her anyway you could. My degrees are in sociology and psychology--so the "Jackie" character and her bizarre life (and possible reasons why she's like she is) just captivated me! I did kind of feel sorry for Jackie's loser boyfriend Kat, as he really did love her and wanted to try & help her.

These are some of my thoughts several years ago, responding to another member’s questions of motive & M.O.: [ I don't know if it's a case of premeditation...perhaps in a way. Jackie liked to draw and color the bizarre, demented pictures even when she wasn't in the middle of killing someone. I think she did carry the markers (although they referred to her as the ‘crayon’ killer) and paper with her most of the time...so they would have been available for her to use after she killed one of the "johns". I would think a knife or weapon of some kind might be somewhat normal for a hooker or drug user on the streets of Miami...even in the 80's, let alone nowadays. ;)

I don't think she initially plans on killing the guys...she's just obviously mentally disturbed, and has homicidal tendencies—most likely because of sexual & psychological abuse by past foster parents (most likely males). Some of the "tricks" just cause her to snap and go crazy--probabaly depending on how they treated and/or talked to her during their..."session". :p If they treated or talked to her like she was garbage or a sex-slave, so-to-speak, then she'd snap and mentally substitute the abusive foster parents (or past abusers) in for them and kill.

The bizarre artwork seemed to be her way of releasing her thoughts, feelings, regret, and pain onto paper. I love this episode and it really delves into the "dark" and disturbing side of the psyche...freaky!! :eek: ]  

As for Rico and Jackie's relationship...I totally understand why he wanted to help her and something about her just caught his attention--as he realized she was different than all the other hookers walking the street. But, he did put himself into some "interesting" & unprofessional situations with her, and allowed some things to go a little too far. But, even Jackie realized at the end that Tubbs really did care about her and wanted to help her...he wasn't just looking for sex. But, tragically it was not enough to save her.

The ending was what I call another famous Michael Mann "abrupt-stop." The chanting-like song at the very end as Jackie kills herself was also very chilling and haunting. I can watch this over and over, and hardly get tired of it. It was just one of those special ones that were memorable and superb--I definitely gave it a 10! :thumbsup:

P.S. I’ve posted this before, but here it is again:

Here is some of Jackie's handi-work:

"Jackie" be nimble, "Jackie" be quick...Jackie, did you once again kill your trick? :p

post-483-13892965522422_thumb.jpg

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 4

Excellent writeup and thoughts about this episode that has been my favorite since I saw it  when it was first telecast.  If you think about it this episode has to be the best in the Vice series.  It has everything, drama, shock, suspense, beauty, horror, grit, action, possible love interest, pathos etc.  In talking to Fiona she said she is always amazed about how many people saw this episode and remember it.  It's hard to forget, classic Miami Vice.  She also said she believed that (in the story) Rico was not really in love with her but just wanted to save her.  Perhaps she invoked fatherly emotions?

Edited by miamijimf
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

Excellent writeup and thoughts about this episode that has been my favorite since I saw it  when it was first telecast.  If you think about it this episode has to be the best in the Vice series.  It has everything, drama, shock, suspense, beauty, horror, grit, action, possible love interest, pathos etc.  In talking to Fiona she said she is always amazed about how many people saw this episode and remember it.  It's hard to forget, classic Miami Vice.  She also said she believed that (in the story) Rico was not really in love with her but just wanted to save her.  Perhaps she invoked fatherly emotions?

I always think of this episode as my second favorite of the series after Out Where the Busses Don’t Run.  The endings of these two stuck with me for the many years after the show ended, until I began watching again.  I think that gap might be longer for me than many of you.  I missed many episodes in the final two seasons as my interests went elsewhere.  I certainly saw quite a few of the episodes, but it was not the “can’t miss it event” of the first few seasons. As it went into syndication I was in college and then started my career, then my family, so it was off my radar.  I came back to it about 12 years ago and after all that time, nearly 20 years, I still clearly remembered the ending to these two episodes.  I think that says a lot about their powerful storytelling.

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, miamijimf said:

2 hours ago, pahonu said:

I always think of this episode as my second favorite of the series after Out Where the Busses Don’t Run.  The endings of these two stuck with me for the many years after the show ended, until I began watching again.  I think that gap might be longer for me than many of you.  I missed many episodes in the final two seasons as my interests went elsewhere.  I certainly saw quite a few of the episodes, but it was not the “can’t miss it event” of the first few seasons. As it went into syndication I was in college and then started my career, then my family, so it was off my radar.  I came back to it about 12 years ago and after all that time, nearly 20 years, I still clearly remembered the ending to these two episodes.  I think that says a lot about their powerful storytelling.

This is definitely one of my favorites...as is “Out Where the Buses Don’t Run”! Both have very “haunting”, tragic, but captivating endings. I saw “LMD” when it first aired as a kid...but by the time Season 4 (even by mid Season 3) rolled around, I too had kind of gotten out of watching MV. I caught an episode here-n-there, but for me too—it wasn’t the ‘I can’t miss an episode’ type feeling as the first two seasons. I did watch the finale when it aired, but was greatly disappointed with it. 

I watched some reruns on the USA network a year or so after the show went off the air, as well as some during the mid 90s on FX & TNN. I didn’t finally see every single episode until reruns were aired on TVLand from around 2005-2007. The DVD sets started being released during that time as well, and I of course got those. 

But I remember seeing most of, if not all, the first 2 (some of 3) seasons when they originally aired, and the impact those episodes had on me...“LMD” definitely being one of the most memorable! 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

LMD is a very good, dark episode, and those kind of episodes have become something of a Frank Military trademark on other shows. He has a knack for capturing this kind of thing and bringing it to the screen in a way that's memorable.

• Like 4

On 7/6/2009 at 7:12 PM, rodriguezisdead said:

By the way, what's going on with OCB in this ep? Are they using completely new rooms or floors in that building or what? I don't think I recognised several of the shots of the scenes at OCB this time?

they were in the downtown precinct for the suspect interrogation.

Great episode from start to finish. One of the S2 highlights and during MV all time greatness.

A dark episode in any sense of the word, being shot at night, for the theme and atmosphere. I love Fiona and she was really hot in this. From what i see online she's still looking fabulous. Pity she didn't go all the way with her acting career. One the best female guest stars in my book. Cat was annoying though.

I think Tubbs had some sort of infatuation with her but it was clear he wanted to help her first and foremost. He even gave her the keys to the safe house....he then got drugged then ended up handcuffed to the bed while she committed suicide using his gun. All in front of a bewildered S.Crockett...I think a cop giving access to a police safe-house to a potential suspect or anybody he/she likes would be in real life material for IAD investigation and/or suspension. Tubbs does surprise ever time with his antics and carelessness...and that from a former NYPD cop where they are more stringent on procedures.

I loved the Jan Hammer musical cues throughout the whole episode (one of the best scores in the entire S2) and Howard Jones song 'Assault and battery'.

This is a solid 9/10.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I recently finished reading Edna Buchanan's book "Contents Under Pressure" (I learned about Buchanan through the "Cocaine Cowboys" documentary), and on pages 41 & 42 of the book she mentions Vice, but not by name. She also references this episode, although she calls Sex World (Sex World, Sex World, awesome, excellent, party time!) The Sex Club and mentions that the two heroes of the series bust dealers without messing up their hair (I think some hairs went astray from time to time:)). I enjoyed the book, but the Vice refence was fun for me (though she did say the series was long dead, although her book is copyright 1992, and that the episode in question was a later season. I don't think Season 2 is all that late, but I'm fine with that opinion).

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Yeah!  Night scenes with blood-red and shocking pink neon shining on corrupt and moist streets.  It reminds me of Ken Russell's at the time recent movie Crimes of Passion.  One of the best of season 2.  Fiona adds depth and heartbreak to her young lost soul character.  Larry Joshua is a rageaholic  as Cat, but he really does love Jackie.  I like the stylized scene of him looking for her as that deep cut Howard Jones track plays.  And a nice scene with Sonny, Gina, and the bag lady.  Anyone who name-drops the great Francois Truffaut is OK by me! 

We haven't really had a Tubbs-centric episode this season, so it's good to see him highlighted here as he's moved by Jackie's plight (of course not knowing she's nuts) and in turn Jackie falls for him mistaking his kindness and help for love. 

Aside from the excellent Jones track, there is also Ted Nugent's excellent title song, a very Lou Reed-sounding Tom Petty cut and the hypnotic "Order of Death by PIL.  ("This is what you want, this is what you get.") A tragic conclusion that really hurts. 

Edited by Jack Gretsky
  • Like 4

• 9 months later...

So it only took me 30 years to notice what letters were lit up and what letters weren’t here. :)

Has this been discussed before, and I forgot?

Is it a coincidence?  

Should I seek help? :) 

295BDDB7-8480-444D-9EED-C98F14AB8076.jpeg

• Like 3

Dadrian - I noticed it before and think it was mentioned.  But I can't recall the story, it's almost too cute to be a coincidence , I'll have to look back into my LMD files.

Yes you should seek help.

• Haha 2