Episode #31 "Bought And Paid For"

Ferrariman

Just saw this again. I don´t know how many times I´ve watched this but it is one of my favourites. I remember watching this on a school camp. I just had to. So in that perspective as one the episodes I first had as a favourite I have to rank it 8/ 10.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

i so wanted someone to hurt nico arroyo bad! it was nice to see gina in the spotlight. and may i say that lynn whitfield (odette) is gorgeous! :)

• Like 1

Sorry if this has been mentioned in the past, I did a search and couldn't find anything.Anybody notice that they're using 2 different white Lamborghini's in the chase scene?Look at the taillight designs.

Sorry if this has been mentioned in the past' date=' I did a search and couldn't find anything.Anybody notice that they're using 2 different white Lamborghini's in the chase scene?Look at the taillight designs.[/quote']Good eye!But yes, we know it.By the way, welcome!

• 9 months later...

I'm currently rewatching MV on dvd, up to the 2nd season and gave this eppy a spin tonight.This is the best Gina centered episode of the series IMHO. And showcased her best acting performance.I recognize the Guest Actor that portrayed Arroyo from other films, can't recall his name at the moment.He totally played up the sleaze, wanted to shoot him myself.

Regardless of Gina's "setup", the shooting would have been justified. Florida has had the "Stand your ground" law for years.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The undoubted highlight of this episode is the awesome Daytona / Lambo chase. All I can say is wow. A series highlight in my book.The rest of the episode is good but a bit too chick flicky for my liking.I'd give this 7/10

I agree that and when he catches him the guy tells him to take it easy that the car was a $100,000 piece of machinary and that it better not have a scratch on it. Sonny proceeds to kick the car...classic.
  • Haha 2

I agree that and when he catches him the guy tells him to take it easy that the car was a $100' date='000 piece of machinary and that it better not have a scratch on it. Sonny proceeds to kick the car...classic.[/quote'] Considering how protective Sonny was with his own $100,000 piece of machinery, the fact that he kicked the other guy's car showed how much he hates rapist scum!

Considering how protective Sonny was with his own $100' date='000 piece of machinery, the fact that he kicked the other guy's car showed how much he hates rapist scum![/quote']HAHAHA, So true!:D

As I've said before...."The car chase is great & Sonny kicking Arroyo's Lambo gives me a thrill! He treats him rough & has some good lines about him & his cologne, which ultimately condemed him." I watch this ep. mainly to see Sonny kick the car! :thumbsup::D

Good episode. It brought back memories from my youth (I was like 8 when this first aired) because I remember seeing the car with the top up driving in the rain. Where was Tubbs...he only made a few appearance. Was he out filming something?

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Kit CarThe chase was good until.... They switched cars in the middle of it. The real Lambo has the large tailights. Not at anytime did the Countach leave the factory with horizontal tailights. The story itself is good though.

• 2 months later...

Complete accordance with the glossary!!!:clap::clap:John Nicolella and Marvin Kupfer create one of the best episodes of the series! After the outstanding EJO-episode Bushido, the niveau of the story is enormous - and Bought and Paid for IS able to hold a candle to it!:clap::glossy:The combination of a deeply touching plot, fantastic music, good humour, cool fashion and first-class style fits more than perfectly together!:glossy:The plot is terribly real: a rich and coward mollycoddle rapes Gina's friend Odette who hasn't the heart to press charges against him. So Gina tries to nail him down.The situation of Gina is very real, I think. She can't help Odette when Odette won't testify. This is the difficult legal situation of rape.Here it is eminently fatal because Arroyo comes again and again and Gina is helpless...:hot:I like the Sonny's part in Bought And Paid For. Everybody notices that he still loves Gina and he wants to help her to arrest Arroyo unconditionally.The kind he affronts Arroyo inside prison is first-class!! Always when I see this scene I want to jump up and shout "Give it to him, Sonny!!!".:cool::evil:Interesting is that Sonny isn't as hot-headed as he's otherwise! He tries to keep a cool head and to look at the case objectively and realistically.Wonderful is the scene when he solaces Gina and Karla Bonoff's masterpiece Cold Wind Blows begins :radio: - one of the best songs of VICE! Unfortunately Bonoff didn't release it because it's so emotional and touching ... also the instrumental at the end.However the story leads in the death of Arroyo. He can't withstand his desire to rape a police woman and Gina has to shoot him.This end is typical for VICE because it's arguable whether Gina provoked Arroyo to assault her (and so she has a reason to arrest him) or not...:glossy:All in all a very very awesome episode with good music (I'm So Afraid, You Wear It Well and Rhythm Of The Night), brilliant style and a first class plot!10 of 10 points!

• 8 months later...

This is a solid episode. Not one of my favourites, but still a strong episode. The car chase is one of the best in the series and the overall style is good. The way Joaquim de Almeida portraits Arroyo is great, but the character of course isn't great at all. There is also some nice little details in this episodes, but in the end the ending kind of ruins it for me. I don't know if even a punk like Arroya would be so stupid that he would be pay a late night visit to Gina's house knowing that she was a cop. After their earlier encounters it should be clear to him that given a chance Gina would take him down.8/10[h=1][/h]

• 10 months later...

I'll never forget the first time I saw this one...I was spending the night at a friend's house and although my family didn't always watch "MV" every Friday night...his family did. So, I got to see a lot of the first couple seasons of the show originally that way.Anyway, this one really impacted me! The acting jobs were awesome, and it was a very emotional episode for Gina, and of course for Odette. You really "feel" for them, and want to jump in to help! Very sad and tragic :cry: but captivating still the same. I loved the chase scene towards the beginning between Crockett and Arroyo...and I love Gina's awesome white '71 Mercury Cougar Convertible! :thumbsup: I wish they had shown it more, like Crockett's Ferrari and Tubbs' Caddy. ;)The music, colors of the buildings/clothes, acting, action, etc...everything was there! The ever-famous "abrupt" Michael Mann ending (with Gina shooting Arroyo, the camera freezing on her face, and the credits roll) is also always intersting and fun to watch. Overall I really like this one, and I gave it a 9. :clap:

I rally like this episode,it is one of my favorite.the car chaise scene and the story line did interest me so I give it 10/10

Yeah, the car chase scene is one of my favorite parts, as is the music and major showcasing of the "MV" color scheme throughout the episode! :clap:

Forgot to ask a question in my original post above...there's something I've always wondered and have never been able to put it together or totally understand it.In the scene where Crockett is trying to calm Gina down at the OCB, and he reminds her that it was Odette's choice to drop the charges and she was the one who was raped. Then Gina gets mad again and says "You've got a hell of a short memory, Crockett!" before storming out.My question is...what was Gina talking about? I've never understood her remark to Crockett? :confused: It almost sounded like Gina had been raped some other time and she knew what it was like...but that never happened. So, just didn't know if someone understands this remark and/or what Gina means by it?This was a superb "Gina" episode and again, I love her awesome '71 Mercury Cougar Convertible! :thumbsup:

"You've got a hell of a short memory, Crockett!" before storming out.My question is...what was Gina talking about? I've never understood her remark to Crockett? :confused: It almost sounded like Gina had been raped some other time and she knew what it was like...but that never happened. So, just didn't know if someone understands this remark and/or what Gina means by it?This was a superb "Gina" episode and again, I love her awesome '71 Mercury Cougar Convertible! :thumbsup:

I believe Gina was raped by Burt Young in Give A Little, Take A little. It's shown off screen but you see trudy comfort her and sonny does at the end too.That was some great writing in this episode fair play, I remember when i first watched it thinking Whoa!

I believe Gina was raped by Burt Young in Give A Little' date=' Take A little. It's shown off screen but you see trudy comfort her and sonny does at the end too.That was some great writing in this episode fair play, I remember when i first watched it thinking Whoa![/quote']You may be right...that could be what she was referring to! However, I wouldn't consider what happened to Gina, in "Give a Little, Take a Little" rape. She got too "involved" in her undercover role and let things go too far without any backup. Earlier in that episode Trudy tried to talk Gina into not going with Young that night without anyone there...but Gina wouldn't listen. Later she didn't know how to say no, without breaking her cover, so she just went along with it. Afterwards, of course, she felt horrible and "dirty". It was a bad situation...but not really rape. However, that may be what Gina was referring to in this episode...I guess she could compare Young treating her like a sex-slave and/or less than human, to Odette being treated that way by Arroyo. So, I bet you're right and that's what Gina meant with her comment. I've just always not quite figured out what she was referring to and have wondered about it. Thanks! :thumbsup: