Episode #29 "Tale of the Goat"

Ferrariman

Alright this one wasn't as egregiously bad as I first thought. Think it was more of my disinterest with the story rather than the actual quality which was fairly good. All these mystical stories dealing with Voodoo/Santeria are bizarre and played really strange, but maybe that's fitting so I don't know.

One of things discernible from the start is that C&Ts have way more of a rapport in this compared to some of the other eps. E.g they barely talk to each other in "Bought and Paid For". So it was nice just to see them joking around for a change.

At least this was an original story so I'll give it a thumbs up, But think I still prefer my C&Ts to be chasing drug dealers and not dealing with Haitian religions and stuff.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

This was a fun episode, abstract yet it handled itself well unlike certain season 4 episodes...I really dig the scene with Tubbs injected with the poison, was kinda heavy actually but everything turned out okay.

• Like 5

yeah Papa Legba was real funny. like when he goes to Little coco aka baron samedi (baron saturday in english), and says 'you are insulting the loa that lives inside of you' :)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rattlehead said:

This was a fun episode, abstract yet it handled itself well unlike certain season 4 episodes...I really dig the scene with Tubbs injected with the poison, was kinda heavy actually but everything turned out okay.

I like this scene because of the  relationship between Sonny and Rico, love how Sonny supports his friend

Edited by Sea-light
  • Like 4

• 1 year later...

Is Papa Legba based on Clairvius Narcisse by any chance?

Watched X- Files last night (Fresh Bones) they mentioned that chemical Legba used, Tetrodotoxin I think. A true story that a study of the origins of zombies conducted in Haiti between 1982 and 1984, called "the Zombie project" they would use the same the paralyzing pufferfish venom tetrodotoxin, I didn't realize that this was real and people in Haiti did this.

To be honest I thought the idea in the episode was a bit silly until now.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Although I didn't like the Voodoo theme dealt with here, I can't say the story wasn't interesting. But there were some scenes, that didn't make sense like, why Tubbs was eager to go to the ceremony without backup and the fact that Castillo let him. And when Tubbs takes the device out of his pocket and places it on the truck, that guy who was driving could clearly see. Also that they let Tubbs get back in duty in that unstable condition after what he had experienced didn't make sense either or how he knew where Marie was hidden, although that he clearly must have heard Legba mentioning at the ceremony. Also why Marie and Gina were on Crockett's boat, instead of somewhere safer. 

Yeah that was a lot. :)

Looking back on and compared to Season 2 it wasn't unusual for Miami Vice to take on untraditional topics, as we would later also see in S4. But the difference is, that is was more ridiculised over the top. 

Edited by summer84
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

What were they smoking when they green lit this story? The only explanation I could think of was that Phillip Michael Thomas wanted to do some dumb story and everyone was like "uhh...okay sure..." but Tubbs mentions he doesn't believe in voodoo so maybe that wasn't it. 

Or while Mann was working on Manhunter, someone said "Quick lets do this while he ain't looking...Oh crap he's coming back RUN" :eek:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I like the movie “Serpent and the Rainbow”. There are definitely some very freaky moments in it. But with this Miami episode, I thought Papa Legba was really lame. For being some evil voodoo guy, he was just really bland. Not a terrible episode, but not amazing. I used to hate this episode. That’s part of the reason I was inspired to do that mix of Jan Hammer’s “The Trial” only. That is a great track by itself and “The Search” part makes me think of this mediocre episode.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 6/26/2020 at 6:32 AM, Vincent Hanna said:

What were they smoking when they green lit this story? The only explanation I could think of was that Phillip Michael Thomas wanted to do some dumb story and everyone was like "uhh...okay sure..." but Tubbs mentions he doesn't believe in voodoo so maybe that wasn't it. 

Or while Mann was working on Manhunter, someone said "Quick lets do this while he ain't looking...Oh crap he's coming back RUN" :eek:

This stuff was happening in Miami at the time though.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I LOVE this episode!! I like spooky, creepy, scary stuff so this episode, and "Whatever Works" totally fit those qualifications perfectly! “Tale of the Goat” is one of my favorites. :clap: Don't get me wrong, though, I do NOT practice voodoo nor would I want to be around that kind of thing! I'm a Christian, and in my opinion, to actually become involved with black magic is "playing with fire"--pun intended. ;) 

In "Tale of the Goat" I love the freaky voodoo-like cemetary with the bizarre funeral for Papa Legba--and with the eerie fog/steam and the goat head ending up in Legba's casket...yikes! :eek: I also thought PMT did a superb acting job in this one, and I love how they showed how Legba really or actually messed with people's minds—not just psychological but with mind-altering drugs, too. Whoever wrote this episode, to me, seemed to have researched the voodoo aspects very seriously...and I think came up with a somewhat realistic, scary, but yet mezmorizing story! :clap:

Clarence Williams III also did a supeb job of acting...and they could not have found a more perfect "Legba" if they'd of tried! He later, around 2003-2007, was in Hallmark Channel’s Mystery Woman TV movie series with actress Kellie Martin. He was a good guy in those, but every time I watched one, I’d be like...aaahhh—it’s Papa Legba! :D 

This episode just superbly delved into the scary and terrifying world of voodoo and zobops--I'm sorry but the name "zobops" cracks me up, too! :) However, I'm sure in reality there's nothing funny about zobops, or anything voodoo. :eek:

The music and songs chosen/used were perfect, as well, and this one was also a nice, fascinating change from the regular drug/weapons dealer episodes. :thumbsup:  For a much more in-depth & amazing review of this episode, check out member @Papa Legba ‘s review on the first page...although long, he states it perfectly! :thumbsup:This is a 10 in my book. Any qualms with this episode, just...."remooove the barriers" and enjoy! :p

0A51FEE8-CE4F-4CBC-B897-5023966EAD82.jpeg

CD0AE86B-288F-4201-8212-B052C5C6C805.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

I'm listening to Red Rider"s "Can't Turn Back" right now; thanks to this episode, I know about the song instead of just being on the "Lunatic Fringe" like my man Louden Swain from "Vision Quest". Did Legba have the vision? Seems so. Was he blindly followed? Definitely! Oh, but that Tubbs dance at the gathering...I can never get enough of Tubbs dancing; I can't turn back, and won't!

• Like 2

This is one of those unusual episodes the show took a risk on and got it right and they tried to do it again in season 4 and failed miserably.

On paper it sounds a bit out there but when you actually sit down and watch it's fascinating, fun, stylish, good music and we have a brilliant bad guy and the story itself was actually based on true events, so its not silly.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RedDragon86 said:

This is one of those unusual episodes the show took a risk on and got it right and they tried to do it again in season 4 and failed miserably.

On paper it sounds a bit out there but when you actually sit down and watch it's fascinating, fun, stylish, good music and we have a brilliant bad guy and the story itself was actually based on true events, so its not silly.

I agree, I think this concept & story is well-executed, even if the premise is far out (more far out than Surf in 'Bushido'). I think it's beautifully handled.

• Like 1

Exactly...perfectly stated! It’s sounds somewhat silly when you “say” it, but believe it or not (and like Sonny said in the episode) there are people into Voodoo & that kind of thing, and who do believe in it. It’s not something you want to mess with. :eek: 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ViceFanMan said:

Exactly...perfectly stated! It’s sounds somewhat silly when you “say” it, but believe it or not (and like Sonny said in the episode) there are people into Voodoo & that kind of thing, and who do believe in it. It’s not something you want to mess with. :eek: 

That's what I especially like, what Pepe says to Crockett & then when Crockett warns Tubbs that he should take what he's attempting to infiltrate more seriously. I feel this episode is ALWAYS serious, and it never wavers from that; it doesn't feel forced, but just keeps on rolling.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Certainly not, similar to Santeria which was in "Whatever Works"

I wouldn't want to even go near a Ouija board never mind delve in Black magic. 

• Like 3

Yeah, I think the cultural message in this episode is not to mess with someone else's beliefs.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

Yeah, I think the cultural message in this episode is not to mess with someone else's beliefs.

Excellent point!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Me neither...I’ve had one experience with a Ouija Board (unknowingly...I did not bring it nor instigate that kind of thing), and it was NOT cool! I definitely think the point was, this subject matter is to be taken seriously & not regarded as ridiculous or a joke. At first Tubbs & Crockett did...and look what happened. Black magic & witchcraft are messing with things we shouldn’t be & don’t understand...and they’re not usually practiced for “good”. 

• Like 2

This episode kinda grew on me over time. I watched it first during the early 90s TV reruns and didn't like it. At first it feels a bit like 'the big thaw', dealing with similar themes. But as you watch the episode unfold, there are a good few things going for it.

For one we have great C&T moments together. Interesting to see Sonny is more opened and inclined to believe in woodo magic, while Rico is way more skeptical and it's just a laughing matter for him. He even joked about it saying 'it is for the poor, ignorant and the oppressed' or something along those lines.

Love the final shootout and the way Tubbs picks himself up after the hospital and all. Needless to say he really underestimated the whole situation, what the hell was he thinking??!? Anyway, good to see he put Legba away for good  in the end.

Great tunes from The Fixx ("Phantom living"), Nona Hendryx ("Transofrmation") and Red Rider ("Can't turn back"). These three tunes really rock!

Not a fan of magic and fantastic themes in a police drama, but I'd rate this with a good 8/10.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Interesting who directed this, Michael O'Herlihy the brother of Dan O'Herlihy best known for his role in Robocop as "The Old Man" his nephew Gavan O'Herlihy who played the gang-leader Manny Fraker in Death Wish 3.