Episode #68 "Heroes Of The Revolution"

Ferrariman

Not as bad as I remembered, but still pretty forgettable.  The first 15-20 minutes were entertaining, but then I just kinda lose interest.  Good Hammer music.  I don't think Saundra's acting is as bad as some have said, but it's still odd that the start and end of season3 were episodes carried by her.  Had this episode been somewhere else throughout the season it wouldn't get near as much flak.  I think "Down For the Count" would have been a dramatic finale, with it then picking up in Season 4.  However, I do like the idea from above about "Forgive Us Our Debts" being the finale, setting up Hackman's return.

Also....did Crockett and Tubbs really fly all the way to New York and back to Miami for a day??  Quite a stakeout.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2020 at 12:42 PM, Mr. Vigilante said:

Not as bad as I remembered, but still pretty forgettable.  The first 15-20 minutes were entertaining, but then I just kinda lose interest.  Good Hammer music.  I don't think Saundra's acting is as bad as some have said, but it's still odd that the start and end of season3 were episodes carried by her.  Had this episode been somewhere else throughout the season it wouldn't get near as much flak.  I think "Down For the Count" would have been a dramatic finale, with it then picking up in Season 4.  However, I do like the idea from above about "Forgive Us Our Debts" being the finale, setting up Hackman's return.

Also....did Crockett and Tubbs really fly all the way to New York and back to Miami for a day??  Quite a stakeout.

Great review, same feelings from me! “Forgive Us Our Debts” would have been a better season 3 finale!

This episode is interesting but not amazing.

• 2 months later...

I've just noticed they were probably joking about Dennis Cooper leaving the show (after "Everybody's In Showbiz").

Check this (around 24min20s):

Crockett:

-Cooper's a knot head and couldn't come up with anything original.

Switek:

-Dennis?

Crockett:

-Yep. Him.

Tubbs: Laughs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ivoryjones said:

I've just noticed they were probably joking about Dennis Cooper leaving the show (after "Everybody's In Showbiz").

Check this (around 24min20s):

Crockett:

-Cooper's a knot head and couldn't come up with anything original.

Switek:

-Dennis?

Crockett:

-Yep. Him.

Tubbs: Laughs

Wow! I find myself listening to the meaningless banter, but I’ve never caught this one. Nice work!:clap:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

Wow! I find myself listening to the meaningless banter, but I’ve never caught this one. Nice work!:clap:

Oh wow - amazing 

Dennis Cooper was a stalwart on the show in Season 2 and 3.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I really love this episode and it's one of my favorites of the season! Oddly enough we started the season with Gina...and we end with her. Awesome, and somewhat rare! I only wish that Trudy could have had more episodes about her, as well as Stan & some with him.

Saundra Santiago did a superb acting job in this one...as well as proved that she could sing superbly as well! :clap: I love the plot, the past history of how Gina's mother was murdered when she was a baby, and her mother's old lover, Klaus Herzog, finally tracking down the killer, Pedrosa, for revenge 26 years later. This one was a very "deep" and emotional one for Gina...and it was captivating and was a superb way to end the season (as the previous couple episodes, “Viking Bikers” & “Showbiz”, were really bad)!

I love Tubbs' line: "Do I look like a Russian to you?" :) Probably the funniest line out of the whole episode. :p I also love the action scenes--such as the gun fight at the dry cleaners, where Gina and Trudy shoot it out with some of Pedrosa's hitmen. If I'm not mistaken, I believe one of the cars involved in the accident, after Trudy shoots the bad guys car, was Silk's old 1976 Pontiac Gran Prix painted in the MV teal color scheme (Silk was played by Wesley Snipes in the earlier episode "Streetwise"). They must have still had that old teal Pontiac around after "Streetwise" and recycled it to be used in this episode for the shoot out scene.

I really liked the scene where Klaus shows up at Gina's apartment and explains who he is, and his past with her mother. But, I really love the scene where Gina explains to Castillo why she has not arrested Herzog yet, and how it ties in with the murder of her mother--beautiful, beautiful scene!! :clap: I also liked the background Jan Hammer songs and colors used with lighting and filming locations. :glossy: Gina and Trudy's clothes and fashion were pretty cool in this one too. :cool:

As bizarre as this might sound, I also liked the "vehicle usage" in this...with regular showings of Crockett's Testarossa, Gina & Trudy's silver Cougar, Switek's neon green van, etc...however, we didn't get to see Tubbs' Caddy or Switek's T-Bird. Again, I also loved the action in this episode (as it seemed a little more personal) and I really enjoyed the ending scene...where Klaus and Pedrosa have their gunplay...but ultimately Gina gets to be the one to shoot Pedrosa and avenge her mother's death! :done: 

However, I do have one question I felt was not really clarified...was Pedrosa Gina's father, or was Klaus, or was it some other guy? I got the impression Pedrosa originally was Gina's mother's boyfriend...then when she discovered how psychotic he was she dumped him and got with Klaus. But, neither man was ever really stated or hinted at as being Gina's father...so I didn't know?

The only issue I sort of have (but don’t really care that much about) with this episode is, Klaus & Pedrosa never aged in 26 years. They basically stepped from 1961 directly into 1987, lol. :p But, it’s 80s TV, and I miss those days of being expected to use your imagination and just go-with-it! ;) I actually wish the character of Klaus would have been brought back later for another episode. 

Anyway, this is just a wonderful, captivating, and superb episode & perfect for the season finale! :dance2:The plot, acting, singing, colors, music, cars, fashion, etc...were all there! I originally gave this a 10...still do!! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Michael Mann's idea this episode wasn't it?

Not sure...could have been? Whosever idea it was, definitely had an awesome one! 

On 7/6/2021 at 2:38 AM, ViceFanMan said:

Not sure...could have been? Whosever idea it was, definitely had an awesome one! 

They had picked someone like Cuban-born singer actress Maria Conchita Alonso to play the part.

5/10.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

I love the story and the guest star Jeroen Krabbe is excellent but my only gripe with this is that they used Sandra to play her mother. It would have been so much better if they had picked someone like Cuban-born singer actress Maria Conchita Alonso to play the part.

True...but lots of times children do look a lot like (or “mirror” as Klaus said) their parents...especially once they’re adults. So, I do understand Saundra playing both roles...and she can sing herself, as she did in the episode. :radio: The only “question” I had was, as I stated in my review above, both Klaus & Pedrosa didn’t age at all in 26 years...they basically stepped from 1961 straight into 1987, lol! But still a superb episode! 

• Like 1

On 7/5/2021 at 11:36 PM, ViceFanMan said:

However, I do have one question I felt was not really clarified...was Pedrosa Gina's father, or was Klaus, or was it some other guy? I got the impression Pedrosa originally was Gina's mother's boyfriend...then when she discovered how psychotic he was she dumped him and got with Klaus. But, neither man was ever really stated or hinted at as being Gina's father...so I didn't know?

I´ve got the script and Gina says to Klaus: "I know she (Gina´s mother) lost my father in the revolution before I was born."

So Gina´s father is obviously a third man.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Glades said:

I´ve got the script and Gina says to Klaus: "I know she (Gina´s mother) lost my father in the revolution before I was born."

So Gina´s father is obviously a third man.

Actually I remember now...that’s in the episode! You’re right...thanks for the clarification! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding "mirrors", I can confirm that upon reaching adulthood, I've become my father's twin lol. When I was sporting a full beard at 19 and he turned 50 (and still looked only about 35 since he never lost his hair and was still very thin at the time) people mistook us for brothers instead of father and son, lol.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

It's interesting that we start and end the season with a Gina-centric episode.  It was cool seeing Saundra Santiago playing her mother and a singer in the prologue.  It says "1961," but that would make Gina 23 at the time of the first Miami Vice show in 1984 - and had been a detective already for awhile.  Is that too young?  Santiago, for the record, was born in 1957.  Whichever the case, whether as Gina or her mother, she sure makes a hot and lovely singer! 

Of course, this is no The Godfather Part II, but I always like Cuban intrigue tales. Jeroen Krabbe plays an interesting, rather broken-up-inside character.  There is some good, haunting Hammer cues as well - I'm not sure if I've heard them before.  

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I mostly agree with what most of you say. This is a lackluster finale for sure; almost as much as Season 1's finale in my opinion and I can't decide which is worse..... 6/10

The vehicles are nice; as well as the trip to NY, the music is also decent....... other than that the plot is boring, and Gina, as most of the time ruins everything........ It shows that Gina should remain a side character, for the better......

I actually think the season intro episode was better, because it just had more content, and didn't make you feel bored watching it..........

On 9/20/2021 at 9:25 AM, Jack Gretsky said:

It's interesting that we start and end the season with a Gina-centric episode.  It was cool seeing Saundra Santiago playing her mother and a singer in the prologue.  It says "1961," but that would make Gina 23 at the time of the first Miami Vice show in 1984 - and had been a detective already for awhile.  Is that too young?  Santiago, for the record, was born in 1957.  Whichever the case, whether as Gina or her mother, she sure makes a hot and lovely singer! 

Of course, this is no The Godfather Part II, but I always like Cuban intrigue tales. Jeroen Krabbe plays an interesting, rather broken-up-inside character.  There is some good, haunting Hammer cues as well - I'm not sure if I've heard them before.  

Comparing this episode to "Godfather part 2" is like comparing this:

Dacia 1310 - Wikipedia

(Dacia 1310)

To this:

:The Ferrari Testarossa from 'Miami Vice' can be yours -- it's headed to  auction this August

(Ferrari Testarossa)

There is no way........... it is just dissrespectful to that cinematografic masterpiece......... Shows just how much of an embaressment this episode is in perspective.

• Haha 2

By no means is an episode of any show equivalent to the Godfather movies...but this episode is NOT an embarrassment to the series by any means either!! This still has good intrigue and Cuban past ties, and an awesome Gina-centered one! :clap: 

There are many other episodes from the last couple seasons that qualify as embarrassments, or poorly done. ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ViceFanMan said:

By no means is an episode of any show equivalent to the Godfather movies...but this episode is NOT an embarrassment to the series by any means either!! This still has good intrigue and Cuban past ties, and an awesome Gina-centered one! :clap: 

There are many other episodes from the last couple seasons that qualify as embarrassments, or poorly done. ;)

That is why I've said "in perspective". Yea, it is not *bad*, but if we were to compare this episode of all MV to Godfather II...... it would be

Not even the best MV episodes can be properly compared well enough to the master of the Godfather II (mostly because of the diffrent nature of them 2)...... But if we were to compare an MV quality to that of the Godfather franchise, to have a chance we'd have to choose the best of them.....

This one itself is lacking compared to better MV episodes; and I still do not know which I dislike more between Lombard and this one....... Which one is a weaker finale ?

Edited by Adrian321
Forgot something

3 minutes ago, Adrian321 said:

That is why I've said "in perspective". Yea, it is not *bad*, but if we were to compare this episode of all MV to Godfather II...... it would be

Not even the best MV episodes can be properly compared well enough to the master of the Godfather II (mostly because of the diffrent nature of them 2)...... But if we were to compare an MV quality to that of the Godfather franchise, to have a chance we'd have to choose the best of them.....

This one itself is lacking compared to better MV episodes; and I still do not know which I dislike more between Lombard and this one....... Which one is a weaker finale ?

Missig hours would be a cold blooded assasination in the cinematograpfic history compared to a sweet birth; that of the Godfather franchise (especially part 2)....... That would be fun to compare.... That will truly be a TOTAL embaressment for EVERYONE involved; and I think we can both agree now.....

It would be pitiful, like a bad comedic show..........

On 11/3/2021 at 11:54 AM, Adrian321 said:

I guess I’ve never really thought of this episode as a gangster-y/Godfather one...it’s intrigue & foreign agents/governments, but if we were to compare an MV episode to an ‘Al Capone’/gangster/Godfather type one, in my opinion those would be the Frank Mosca ones. He was very much your modern day Capone/gangster. 

Edited by ViceFanMan

On 9/20/2021 at 2:25 AM, Jack Gretsky said:

Speaking of Cuban intrigue, I've always liked the 1990 film "Havana", starring Robert Redford & Lena Olin. I purchased it with a 10 $ Wal-mart gift card in 2005, and re-watched it numerous times. It's not really considered often by many, but I think it's great!

As for 'Heroes of the Revolution', I think it's an outstanding episode (LOVE Gina's singing; how tender, strong, and emotional she is here, as well as how understanding Castillo is in this spot). Like the Twisted Sister song says, Heroes are Hard to Find (that song's a bit of a theme tune for me, along with Billy Joel's "You May Be Right", Billy Idol's "Dancing With Myself", and Red Hot Chili Peppers "Soul to Squeeze"; I'm part of the Billy club, and I do like chili), and I find that both Gina & Klaus Herzog are heroes of the highest order here. The episode makes me feel a lot, and I like that.

Edited by Eillio Martin Imbasciati
misspelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

The biggest issue in this episode to me is the actor who played Klaus. He looked way too young to be Gina's father. The guy was barely 40 at that time. At least they could have dyed his hair grey for the episode. :)

Edited by apocalypse

50 minutes ago, apocalypse said:

The biggest issue in this episode to me is the actor who played Klaus. He looked way too young to be Gina's father. The guy was barely 40 at that time. At least they could have dyed his hair grey for the episode. :)

Yeah, this episode is superb...but one of the only issues I have is Klaus & Pedrosa...I’ve said this before, but neither seemed to age in 26 years! They seemed to step from 1961 straight into 1987. They needed to add a little more gray for each’s hair...at least to try and show they’d aged some. ;) Otherwise, I love the episode!

• Like 1