Episode #66 "Viking Bikers From Hell"

Ferrariman

• 2 months later...

Our Oz censors completely cut the scene where Sonny shoots Reb repeatedly in the stomach. Originally all we saw was Reb grab Sonny and then both of them fell into the water with Sonny hitting his head on the way down. I could never understand how Sonny survived but Reb didn't.

It was only around 10 years later from the original airing, I had cable tv and saw that episode uncut. Finally that scene made more sense.

• Like 1

Watching "Sons of Anarchy" for the first time on Netflix at the moment and really enjoying it (no spoilers please) and I noticed that Kim Coates, one of the gang members played Jack Cragun leader of the Violators is in this.

See the source image

Edited by RedDragon86

... "Better (chuckles)

What´s with this better crap?

You really think we are better?"

"Better shots."

Both were very cynical in this dialogue! I felt frightened when I watched it.

And I agree. It´s a well done episode which I really enjoy.

vor 45 Minuten schrieb RedDragon86:

I watched this again last night and I have to say it so much better than way people perceive it., like a filler episode or just generally weak. I think what is partly to blame is the title of the episode, imagine it was titled "The Wire" or "A Brothers Oath"

The music is fantastic, the plot is an interesting revenge story and acting is good even from Reb Brown.

For me this is a paradox episode. The story from John Milius, writer of "Apocalypse now" is super flat, but nevertheless it is enjoyable to watch. I think it has to do with the good casting (the three thugs with 6´5´´+ each are interesting characters) and  that there is a real threat for our heroes even on their home turf plus there is a good personal relationship part and dialogiue between C&T. The other episodes with three lunatics to catch (Nobody lives forever, Cool runnin´) did not have that advantage at all. The style, the colors, the action was great. 

In one point I have to disagree with you though. The music is good except for the second usage of "Heaven". I will never get why they broke their unspoken rule and used this song twice. That spoiled the otherwise flawless music department for me. They could have used something else and be more creative than that.

P.S. Kim Coates suffered a serious injury on the head in the scene where Crockett smashed him onto a wall board. He needed a few stitches. At least this scene was done in the first take.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2021 at 4:31 PM, Tom said:

For me this is a paradox episode. The story from John Milius, writer of "Apocalypse now" is super flat, but nevertheless it is enjoyable to watch. I think it has to do with the good casting (the three thugs with 6´5´´+ each are interesting characters) and  that there is a real threat for our heroes even on their home turf plus there is a good personal relationship part and dialogiue between C&T. The other episodes with three lunatics to catch (Nobody lives forever, Cool runnin´) did not have that advantage at all. The style, the colors, the action was great. 

In one point I have to disagree with you though. The music is good except for the second usage of "Heaven". I will never get why they broke their unspoken rule and used this song twice. That spoiled the otherwise flawless music department for me. They could have used something else and be more creative than that.

P.S. Kim Coates suffered a serious injury on the head in the scene where Crockett smashed him onto a wall board. He needed a few stitches. At least this scene was done in the first take.

I didn't know that about Kim Coates, thanks for sharing.

The cinematography was good, these two being some of the best shots.

2032792175_stan.png.1880f83dd96cbdccc5716b7bed3883be.png

Reb.png

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

I don't understand why Tubbs and Crockett went to a criminals funeral, was it just to get there picture taken:p

Way to much exposition in that scene.

Either Wolf was too lazy or couldn't figure out how Reb could have known it was Sonny that killed "The Wire" or for Sonny to tell us gradually 15-20 minutes in the episode when and why he killed him, instead of the first 8 seconds to just get it out of the way.

Edited by RedDragon86

I always assumed it was to maintain their cover in the investigation. 

What is really out of order to me is Crockett’s explanation for his actions. It seems very uncharacteristic for him to kill someone just because he doesn’t want to blow his cover and do paperwork. :birdie:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dadrian said:

What is really out of order to me is Crockett’s explanation for his actions. It seems very uncharacteristic for him to kill someone just because he doesn’t want to blow his cover and do paperwork.

I´m relieved that it isn´t just me who doesn´t understand this scene. I thought it was because of my English. That Sonny's words would have some hidden meaning that I can't understand!

• Like 1

I'd need to watch the episode again to get the nuances fresh in my mind, but I know from other Wolf shows he's often keen to take the shortcut. And of course Milius isn't one to skip a good explosion for plot, either. He did the original story, and giving his nutjob a target early on leads to many gunshots and explosions...

• Like 1

So I watched the funeral scene again. Sonny frames the shooting with the line "there were civilians coming out on the street" when he's talking to Rico. Rico protests it would have been justifiable homicide, and then Crockett goes into the bit about a compromised cover. My takeaway is The Wire had already blown Burnett's cover in some way, and if Sonny ID'd himself as a cop before shooting he'd be pulled off the street if he survived. So he doesn't shoot him to avoid paperwork...but he lets it go as a street shooting so his cover remains (reasonably) intact.

I'd frame the scene as The Wire calling him out on the street (although why a dealer like The Wire would be wondering around without security is unclear) and Sonny gets into a gunfight with him and never IDs himself as a cop.

As an aside, Milius it seems had a thing for biker gangs. One of his proteges spent some time visiting Sturgis in the days before it became a Yuppie event and even drafted a couple of biker-centric screenplays for him.

"Flowers for Mr. Salizar."

• Like 1

vor 13 Stunden schrieb Robbie C.:

So I watched the funeral scene again. Sonny frames the shooting with the line "there were civilians coming out on the street" when he's talking to Rico. Rico protests it would have been justifiable homicide, and then Crockett goes into the bit about a compromised cover. My takeaway is The Wire had already blown Burnett's cover in some way, and if Sonny ID'd himself as a cop before shooting he'd be pulled off the street if he survived. So he doesn't shoot him to avoid paperwork...but he lets it go as a street shooting so his cover remains (reasonably) intact.

I'd frame the scene as The Wire calling him out on the street (although why a dealer like The Wire would be wondering around without security is unclear) and Sonny gets into a gunfight with him and never IDs himself as a cop.

The full dialogue says it all:

C: it was a garden variety street shooting, Rico.

T: in which Sonny Burnett takes out Edward Wire Constantine and splits the scene

C: That´s because there were civilians coming onto the street, pal. What I´m gonna do?

T: it was a righteous shoot, man. It would have gone down as justifiable homicide.

C:my cover was ompromized, not to mention my life. So, if I get lucky and the Wire doesn´t kill me, then I´m pushing paper in some downtown office. And that is an alternative that is unacceptable, my friend.

Bottom line: Crockett was made and confronted by Wire, Wire shoots at him on the empty street (obviously no witnesses or bystanders), Crockett is faster, kills him and instead of waiting for police or patrol cars at the scene and identifying himself as an officer in front of civilians or even worse Wire´s friends showing up, he split. With pushing paper he did not mean a one time paperwork for the shooting, but rather being downgraded for desk work permanently, as the shooting was maybe over the line for IAD. No big mystery, but probably not the correct police procedure not to mention the typical Sonny Crockett in case he did not report it at least when back in the office to Castillo. But that we never learnt in this episode  that also contained some other minor unrealistic writer´s ideas. I found very amusing e.g. that a typical biker like Wire who was most likely not exactly a tech first adopter afficionado and felt invincible like most bikers at that time, filmed proactively a 5 minute testament home video for his friends to make sure he could settle his administrative things. Or that they cut out the reason why Reb´s bike went up in flames at the end when Crockett is after him in the junk yard. Self-inflammation, I suppose?:)

Edited by Tom
  • Like 2