Episode #66 "Viking Bikers From Hell"

Ferrariman

7 hours ago, Tom said:

The full dialogue says it all:

C: it was a garden variety street shooting, Rico.

T: in which Sonny Burnett takes out Edward Wire Constantine and splits the scene

C: That´s because there were civilians coming onto the street, pal. What I´m gonna do?

T: it was a righteous shoot, man. It would have gone down as justifiable homicide.

C:my cover was ompromized, not to mention my life. So, if I get lucky and the Wire doesn´t kill me, then I´m pushing paper in some downtown office. And that is an alternative that is unacceptable, my friend.

Bottom line: Crockett was made and confronted by Wire, Wire shoots at him on the empty street (obviously no witnesses or bystanders), Crockett is faster, kills him and instead of waiting for police or patrol cars at the scene and identifying himself as an officer in front of civilians or even worse Wire´s friends showing up, he split. With pushing paper he did not mean a one time paperwork for the shooting, but rather being downgraded for desk work permanently, as the shooting was maybe over the line for IAD. No big mystery, but probably not the correct police procedure not to mention the typical Sonny Crockett in case he did not report it at least when back in the office to Castillo. But that we never learnt in this episode  that also contained some other minor unrealistic writer´s ideas. I found very amusing e.g. that a typical biker like Wire who was most likely not exactly a tech first adopter afficionado and felt invincible like most bikers at that time, filmed proactively a 5 minute testament home video for his friends to make sure he could settle his administrative things. Or that they cut out the reason why Reb´s bike went up in flames at the end when Crockett is after him in the junk yard. Self-inflammation, I suppose?:)

The implication is pretty clearly that if he'd identified himself as a cop, he would have been "burned" and likely stuck on a desk for an extended period. If, as Rico contends, it would have been a righteous shooting IAB wouldn't have been interested in him for very long. But Sonny lives for UC work.

And actually the biggest folly in this is having three bikers and not a Harley in sight. No self-respecting biker of the sort Reb is supposed to be during that era would have been caught dead on those Japanese scooters...

• Like 5

• 2 months later...

The biggest issue with this entertaining but not very "deep" episode to me is that these thugs are portraying to be like the Hells Angels (well kinda). And they're driving Japanese bikes. That's just ridiculous.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2010 at 5:57 PM, DJAngel said:
I saw your pics. I thought the one showing the actor who played Gustavsen and DJ chatting light heartedly between filming was particularly interesting' date=' considering how they were literally at each other's throats in the episode.[/quote']Watching the episode is a walk down memory lane for us because of being there for some filming. :happy:

Unable to see these photos, unfortunately..

• 1 month later...

This is definitely an example of the writers dropping the proverbial ball...one of the most pathetic of the season! :evil: Here’s my original review from ‘13. Not much has changed with my thoughts:

[This is not one of season 3's best episodes for sure...probably only the 2nd worst of the season next to "Everybody's In Showbiz". This one is just over-the-top ridiculous, and the opening was bizarre. :rolleyes: I don't really like or care about anything Viking,  however, these whacked-out, psychotic bikers hardly had anything "Viking" about them...other than their pleasure and obsession with violence and bloodshed. I also felt like my IQ dropped multiple points every time one of the so-called Viking bikers even spoke! :o

Some of the fashion and Jan Hammer music was awesome, and the end shoot-out scene was pretty cool! :cool: I also liked the "kill" with the drug-dealer/crime boss falling face-first into his birthday cake after being hit. :cake:   But, other than those few aspects this episode was very weak and goofball. It left you going...huh?? ?( ]

Also, I remember you used to be able to see the original ratings/numbers for each episode that someone had chose for their rating (I realize that everyone has their opinions), but I remember thinking & asking originally...who the heck rated this "booger" a 10?? :eek: LOL! But, to each his or her own. :funky: 

I originally gave it a 4...but that may have been too nice...if I could re-rate this episode it’d probably only get a 3. I'd say that rather than ‘Viking Bikers’ from Hell, that this is the episode from Hell...but that in actuality probably belongs to "Missing Hours". ;)

11 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

I noticed a young Reb in "The Rockford Files" yesterday :)

- Gearjammers, Part 1 (1975)

Untitled.png.b1d8170fe16b8ab50903e06aa0acb17f.png

Was he screaming? :) 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

I noticed a young Reb in "The Rockford Files" yesterday :)

- Gearjammers, Part 1 (1975)

Untitled.png.b1d8170fe16b8ab50903e06aa0acb17f.png

One of these days I’ll have to get & watch “Rockford Files”. Hopefully ‘Reb’ was more intelligent than in “Viking Bikers”! :rolleyes: 

• Haha 3

• 1 month later...

Was Toad being sarcastic when he thought Valhalla was somewhere in Europe?

If he wasn't he should know about Norse mythology, it being heavenly place for vikings and warriors. 

42 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Was Toad being sarcastic when he thought Valhalla was somewhere in Europe?

If he wasn't he should know about Norse mythology, it being heavenly place for vikings and warriors. 

Knowing this butt-nugget (pardon my crudeness :p) of an episode, he probably was being serious. I’m not sure these people could spell the word ‘Viking’, let alone really know anything about them. :rolleyes: 

• Haha 1

Well I like this episode. I liked it even more when I saw it uncut many years later. Our Australian censors were butchers in the eighties.

Sure, it is dumb in a lot of places, but I still appreciate the action and comedy in this one. And Jan's score gave the episode more gravitas than it earned.

Izzy's "Besame Mucho" was hilarious. I love that his audience barely reacted to him or the bikers.

Crockett and Tubbs in the biker bar was a great scene. Sonny purposely antagonising Kaigen at the bar was hilarious. Rico backing him up with his shotty and wearing Sonny's glasses, That was cool.

This is a good "turn off your brain and just enjoy" type of episode.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, fakespyder said:

Well I like this episode. I liked it even more when I saw it uncut many years later. Our Australian censors were butchers in the eighties.

Sure, it is dumb in a lot of places, but I still appreciate the action and comedy in this one. And Jan's score gave the episode more gravitas than it earned.

Izzy's "Besame Mucho" was hilarious. I love that his audience barely reacted to him or the bikers.

Crockett and Tubbs in the biker bar was a great scene. Sonny purposely antagonising Kaigen at the bar was hilarious. Rico backing him up with his shotty and wearing Sonny's glasses, That was cool.

Although I personally disagree & can’t stand this one, lol, :p I respect your opinion of it. :thumbsup: In my opinion this is one of the first true terrible & poor episodes created by the writers...but, to each his or her own. ;)

However, I’m more curious as what you mean by “uncut”. None of the syndicated versions...which is what all the DVD and/or Blu-ray sets from all the companies/countries have used (Universal, Mill Creek, Elephant, Fabulous Films, Koch, etc...), are uncut or unedited. 

Although I hate this episode, lol, I happen to have an original NBC airing (uncut/unedited). I was just curious as to what uncut version you have seen? :funky: 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ViceFanMan said:

Although I hate this episode, lol, I happen to have an original NBC airing (uncut/unedited). I was just curious as to what uncut version you have seen? :funky: 

On 2/7/2021 at 3:46 PM, fakespyder said:

Our Oz censors completely cut the scene where Sonny shoots Reb repeatedly in the stomach. Originally all we saw was Reb grab Sonny and then both of them fell into the water with Sonny hitting his head on the way down. I could never understand how Sonny survived but Reb didn't.

It was only around 10 years later from the original airing, I had cable tv and saw that episode uncut. Finally that scene made more sense.

So by uncut, I meant without the censorship

Edited by fakespyder
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2021 at 7:46 PM, fakespyder said:

Our Oz censors completely cut the scene where Sonny shoots Reb repeatedly in the stomach. Originally all we saw was Reb grab Sonny and then both of them fell into the water with Sonny hitting his head on the way down. I could never understand how Sonny survived but Reb didn't.

It was only around 10 years later from the original airing, I had cable tv and saw that episode uncut. Finally that scene made more sense.

So, by uncut I meant without the censorship.

Gotcha! This was probably more “uncut” than what you’d originally seen, and included more of the scenes with Crockett & Reb. :thumbsup: 

However, none of the cable (aka syndicated) versions are truly uncut or original. All networks that aired reruns in syndication edited or cut the episodes somewhat to make more time for commercials advertising the companies/products sponsoring them.

Sadly, these versions are all that’s available for official home video. So, no one gets to have the original uncut airings on official DVD or Blu-ray releases. :o 

But, I’ve only recently learned that some other countries had versions that were even more edited or “butchered” than our U.S. syndicated ones! So, the U.S. edited versions are more complete for them as they’re now being made available to them. I only wish Universal would find original NBC true uncut/unedited airings to officially release to DVD & Blu-ray! 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, fakespyder said:

Crockett and Tubbs in the biker bar was a great scene. Sonny purposely antagonizing Kaigen at the bar was hilarious. Rico backing him up with his shotty and wearing Sonny's glasses, That was cool.

Yeah its entertaining, nothing worse than a boring episode.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

The best way to view this episode is as a 1987 B-movie Cannon Studios (or something similar) production.  Then it comes off as ham-fisted fun. :p

I like the Apocalypse Now (one of my top favorite films) connection in that John Milius, who conceived and co-wrote AN also did the story for this ep under the pseudonym "Walter Kurtz," the name of Brando's character in the movie.  Several years after this episode aired, Milius and Elan Oberon (Victoria) married. 

Good little scene in the biker bar.  Crockett & Tubbs enter in their shiny nice clothes, backlit with smoke and neon, Crockett roughs up a tough, Tubbs gets to brandish his favorite shotgun.  Classic stuff. And grim humor in the next scene which ends with Bernier falling dead face-down in his cake. 

Another cool The Damned track: "Tightrope Walk."

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Can someone explain why "The Wire" made a last will & testament video, like why did he think he was going to get killed?

Edited by RedDragon86

3 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Can someone explain why "The Wire" made a last will & testament video, like he did why think he was going to get killed?

I suppose with his life & lifestyle, he figured he’d get killed somewhere along the line. However, nothing makes sense or is worth trying to figure out with this butt-nugget of an episode. :p :thumbsdown: 

• Like 2

On 11/30/2021 at 3:16 PM, ViceFanMan said:

I suppose with his life & lifestyle, he figured he’d get killed somewhere along the line. However, nothing makes sense or is worth trying to figure out with this butt-nugget of an episode. :p :thumbsdown: 

Yeah but why make a video though? all drug dealers would think yeah I might get killed one day in this life but they wouldn't make a video lol. 

"I'm comin' at you
from the other side, man"

"Dead. You believe it?"

What? I just don't get it.

The writing is so bad. Why would Sonny and Rico go to his funeral? Castillo would never have allowed it. 

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Yeah but why make a video though? all drug dealers would think yeah I might get killed one day in this life but they wouldn't make a video lol. 

"I'm comin' at you
from the other side, man"

"Dead. You believe it?"

What? I just don't get it.

The writing is so bad. Why would the killer going to his funeral, better still why would C&T go to the funeral.

Exactly...bizarre plot, terrible writing, and nothing really made sense. ?( However, in my opinion “Missing Hours”, “Everybody’s in Showbiz” & “Miracle Man” are still worse. :p 

• Like 2

Probably the only time we actually heard Mark Pillow's voice, as his dialogue was dubbed by Gene Hackman. Dude used to scare me when I used to watch this as a kid lol.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TylerDurden389 said:

Probably the only time we actually heard Mark Pillow's voice, as his dialogue was dubbed by Gene Hackman. Dude used to scare me when I used to watch this as a kid lol.

Wow it is Gene's voice. He scared me as a kid too. :)

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

On 12/1/2021 at 2:16 AM, ViceFanMan said:

Thank you for introducing me to the term "butt-nugget":)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Funny enough, the first time I saw Viking Bikers I actually researched to see if that was "Nuclear Man" from Superman 4.  Glad I'm not the only one who saw the resemblance.  Either way, both characters were quite frightening!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, fakespyder said:

Thank you for introducing me to the term "butt-nugget":)

Lol!! :) No problem...I felt it described this episode perfectly! :p

• Like 1