Jack of all Trades

Tom

Am 31.3.2016 um 05:07 schrieb airtommy:

My mind has been blown by this 79th Street Causeway location!   images_q_tbn_ANd9_Gc_Rgj_U1_w5o_QTv_SQG6

Here is the pool at Soliz' house for anybody that wants to hunt on satellite:

Jack1.png

I am hunting down Soliz‘ house now. I found a new clue. The house number is very briefly visible above the mailbox on the wall while Jack Crockett is walking towards the entrance. I have spent 2 hours on Photoshop to enhance the blurry still (only one of four frames useful) to read the number. Is either 31xx or 51xx, most likely 3147 or 5147. together with the unique shape of the pool and the house/roof/facade it should be doable unless it was torn down. The house is not on water and closely surrounded by neighbors.

if someone has the Blue Rays please check the house number and let us know It is only visible in four frames (4/25 second) and I have the DVD only.

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Tom said:

I am hunting down Soliz‘ house now. I found a new clue. The house number is very briefly visible above the mailbox on the wall while Jack Crockett is walking towards the entrance. I have spent 2 hours on Photoshop to enhance the blurry still (only one of four frames useful) to read the number. Is either 31xx or 51xx, most likely 3147 or 5147. together with the unique shape of the pool and the house/roof/facade it should be doable unless it was torn down. The house is not on water and closely surrounded by neighbors.

if someone has the Blue Rays please check the house number and let us know It is only visible in four frames (4/25 second) and I have the DVD only.

Another good clue!  It's incredibly blurry for me.  My best guess is 24xx or 104xx but I really can't see it.

vor 7 Stunden schrieb airtommy:

Another good clue!  It's incredibly blurry for me.  My best guess is 24xx or 104xx but I really can't see it.

Did you try it with BluRay or DVD? I hoped on BluRay the number would be easier to identify as they normally use a higher resolution digital master for production than for DVDs, otherwise BluRay makes no sense.

4 hours ago, Tom said:

Did you try it with BluRay or DVD? I hoped on BluRay the number would be easier to identify as they normally use a higher resolution digital master for production than for DVDs, otherwise BluRay makes no sense.

Nope, I just have the regular DVDs.

vor 26 Minuten schrieb airtommy:

Nope, I just have the regular DVDs.

I think Matt5 and CGlide have the BluRay version. Maybe they can help. I will continue searching tonight.

4 hours ago, Tom said:

I think Matt5 and CGlide have the BluRay version. Maybe they can help. I will continue searching tonight.

paging @Matt5 (or anybody else with BluRay)

41 minutes ago, airtommy said:

paging @Matt5 (or anybody else with BluRay)

I have the blu-rays but I’m away in the South of France most of August till 31st - of course I’ll check when home.:hippie:

vor 44 Minuten schrieb Matt5:

I have the blu-rays but I’m away in the South of France most of August till 31st - of course I’ll check when home.:hippie:

Ok thanks. My searches specifically for 3147, 5147 and 5347 numbers in South Miami as well as Miami Beach and near Pelican Harbour have yielded nothing so far.

12 hours ago, Tom said:

Ok thanks. My searches specifically for 3147, 5147 and 5347 numbers in South Miami as well as Miami Beach and near Pelican Harbour have yielded nothing so far.

I always thought this house was possibly Coconut Grove or Coral Gables? I’ll check the blu rays when I return from France at the end of the month,:cheers:

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Matt5:

I always thought this house was possibly Coconut Grove or Coral Gables? I’ll check the blu rays when I return from France at the end of the month,:cheers:

With South Miami I meant Grove and Gables as well. No fit there either.

• 3 weeks later...
Am 19.8.2018 um 22:01 schrieb Matt5:

@Matt5Did you have time to check the Blu rays for the hardly readable address?

1 hour ago, Tom said:

@Matt5Did you have time to check the Blu rays for the hardly readable address?

@Tom staying ever so slightly longer in the South of France will check on Friday and post here when get back Friday. :hippie:

You’re looking for the number right?

Edited by Matt5

vor 19 Minuten schrieb Matt5:

@Tom staying ever so slightly longer in the South of France will check on Friday and post here when get back Friday. :hippie:

You’re looking for the number right?

Thanks. Yes, there is a short period (4 frames to be exact, one of them is best to read) the 4 digit number is shown above the white mailbox when Jack walks from his car to the front door. I still hope it’s easily readable on the BluRay or the still at least good enough to be enhanced by Photoshop.

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

Thanks. Yes, there is a short period (4 frames to be exact, one of them is best to read) the 4 digit number is shown above the white mailbox when Jack walks from his car to the front door. I still hope it’s easily readable on the BluRay or the still at least good enough to be enhanced by Photoshop.

No worries - sure I’ll check and take some screenshots, post here Saturday am.:cheers:

Edited by Matt5

Thanks to @Crockettt who sent me stills of the BluRay version I need to admit we are not progressing: the „number“ is still blurry on the BluRay stills but rather looks not like 4-digit number but like 4 letters (not the ones you might suspect ;-) „MAIL“. 

@C Glideis a prophet - he wrote exact that conclusion last year or so in a thread, but I did not believe him (shame on me!) as my DVD stills clearly looked as blurry numbers and I was misled by the fact that it took me 2 hours on Photoshop to get that far - an effort that I doubted he had taken when working on this ep for his site.

bottom line: back to square one! :thumbsdown:

Edited by Tom
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

The Fairwind (Fairmont) featured in this 1989 episode after three years of delayed renovation has reopened. At 10th and Collins in Miami Beach,  the second picture was how it appeared in Miami Vice in mid January 1989.

3F48B25B-D0E7-4F52-90D3-88DAAD809698.jpeg

D1B288C4-C973-43C9-8739-7FC3C6953ACE.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, miamijimf said:

Good news Matt.

Definately Jim , this project has run into numerous problems over three years including running out of finance and vandalism, but finally there. 

• 3 months later...

There are a couple of restaurant scenes with Jack and Grubbs with very distinctive colored glass in this episode where the location is unknown. Today I saw this current day picture of the spa in the Mayfair Hotel In Coconut Grove with very similar distinctive glass and mahogany wood trim. Not quite the same but it would point to the Mayfair perhaps being used for these scenes - after all the teaser was filmed here at the Mayfair. I’ve spent quite some time at the Mayfair and haven’t noticed this before so this will need to be explored on the ground.:cheers:

58142D58-0213-4061-8CD8-0F336BAEBFC5.jpeg

173B79A2-EFC7-46B8-A16E-A5DC0BC38BD2.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 4/2/2019 at 4:43 PM, Matt5 said:

There are a couple of restaurant scenes with Jack and Grubbs with very distinctive colored glass in this episode where the location is unknown. Today I saw this current day picture of the spa in the Mayfair Hotel In Coconut Grove with very similar distinctive glass and mahogany wood trim. Not quite the same but it would point to the Mayfair perhaps being used for these scenes - after all the teaser was filmed here at the Mayfair. I’ve spent quite some time at the Mayfair and haven’t noticed this before so this will need to be explored on the ground.:cheers:

58142D58-0213-4061-8CD8-0F336BAEBFC5.jpeg

173B79A2-EFC7-46B8-A16E-A5DC0BC38BD2.jpeg

I’m happy to say that my hunch was right that the interior restaurant scenes were indeed filmed at The Mayfair Hotel in Coconut Grove in the Mayfair Grill/ Mayfair House restaurant. This is now the spa there has been some remodelling and the room partioned off but I saw the above circular window.

This location was previously unknown - But confirmed on the ground yesterday with the Tiffany glass being the main clue.

More photos and information to follow.

52DE610D-794D-4146-A9C5-9265976DA9A7.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...