Episode #50 "Shadow In The Dark"

Ferrariman

2 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

I think he was just lip syncing the little sound Jan Hammer makes when he does it. :) 

His mouth was dry from consuming all that flour:).

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, IA-SteveB said:

What is the significance of the intruder opening and closing his mouth?  Was it supposed to be reminiscent of a fish out of water or something?  Maybe I missed it reading through this thread.

18 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

I thought it was just a way for the writer/director to have the actor show that the character was the victim of some type of mental disorder.

Lol...I’ve always referred to ‘Shadow’ as “Fish-Mouth”! :) I definitely think it’s a mental disorder or part of his bizarre ritual he goes through with each house/break-in. Whatever the reason, as funny as it sounds it’s actually pretty creepy!! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ViceFanMan said:

Lol...I’ve always referred to ‘Shadow’ as “Fish-Mouth”! :) I definitely think it’s a mental disorder or part of his bizarre ritual he goes through with each house/break-in. Whatever the reason, as funny as it sounds it’s actually pretty creepy!! 

I agree, his mannerisms, when including what he does when inside those homes, is pretty spooky & creepy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

I agree, his mannerisms, when including what he does when inside those homes, is pretty spooky & creepy.

You probably know, but in case someone else doesn’t, this episode aired on Friday, Halloween night in 1986. Great stuff!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

You probably know, but in case someone else doesn’t, this episode aired on Friday, Halloween night in 1986. Great stuff!

I was thinking about that actually, and I feel it's a point always worth bringing up. Pretty apt Halloween episode (going for the chilling type of feel instead of a fun, campy tone that can also be associated with that occasion), and I believe the series "Hunter" had a pretty disturbing episode on a Halloween as well.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

I was thinking about that actually, and I feel it's a point always worth bringing up. Pretty apt Halloween episode (going for the chilling type of feel instead of a fun, campy tone that can also be associated with that occasion), and I believe the series "Hunter" had a pretty disturbing episode on a Halloween as well.

Yes, this aired on Halloween night 1986, pretty freaky! I was spending the night at a friends house and we watched the episode. It was actually storming outside, and after we tried to go to bed every time the lightning flashed I kept thinking if I see fish mouth in the window I’ll die of a heart attack, LOL! 

“Night On Bald Mountain” is the Hunter episode that aired on Halloween night 1987. Very awesome episode and I love that one too!  Hunter also had an episode called “Killer In a Halloween Mask”. It was about this former TV star/Hollywood guy that got disfigured in the face. So he couldn’t be in his show anymore. He blamed other people on his TV show, and so he went around with some weird mask on, trying to disfigure their faces with a squirt gun full of acid, LOL! It was a really good episode too, however it aired on October 26, 1985. Not exactly Halloween, but close enough! 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, ViceFanMan said:

Yes, this aired on Halloween night 1986, pretty freaky! I was spending the night at a friends house and we watched the episode. It was actually storming outside, and after we tried to go to bed every time the lightning flashed I kept thinking if I see fish mouth in the window I’ll die of a heart attack, LOL! 

“Night On Bald Mountain” is the Hunter episode that aired on Halloween night 1987. Very awesome episode and I love that one too!  Hunter also had an episode called “Killer In a Halloween Mask”. It was about this former TV star/Hollywood guy that got disfigured in the face. So he couldn’t be in his show anymore. He blamed other people on his TV show, and so he went around with some weird mask on, trying to disfigure their faces with a squirt gun full of acid, LOL! It was  A really good episode too, however it aired on October 26, 1985. Not  exactly Halloween, but close enough! 

Fish mouth and a storm, not a good combination, for sure!

Oooh, 'Killer in a Halloween Mask' is the "Hunter" episode I thought was on Halloween (I viewed the episode on the Heroes & Icons channel back in early 2019), thanks for clearing that was for me.

Funny, through all this, I'm on YouTube looking at old "NFL Primetime" highlights, and the similar videos recommended on the side show a 10-31-88 telecast of a Broncos/Colts game. Suddenly, it's all about Halloween. Looks like nothing says Halloween in the late 1980s like raw meat, flour, a squirt gun full of acid, and football.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

Fish mouth and a storm, not a good combination, for sure!

Oooh, 'Killer in a Halloween Mask' is the "Hunter" episode I thought was on Halloween (I viewed the episode on the Heroes & Icons channel back in early 2019), thanks for clearing that was for me.

Funny, through all this, I'm on YouTube looking at old "NFL Primetime" highlights, and the similar videos recommended on the side show a 10-31-88 telecast of a Broncos/Colts game. Suddenly, it's all about Halloween. Looks like nothing says Halloween in the late 1980s like raw meat, flour, a squirt gun full of acid, and football.

Lol...pretty much anything went with anything back in the 80s...including fashion & music, let alone holidays & themes! :)  “Killer in Halloween Mask” aired almost on Halloween...so might as well consider it that. :thumbsup: I remember watching all these episodes when they first aired & of course have seen them in reruns many times since...they were creepy watching them as a kid, but I kind of liked the thrill of being freaked out, lol! Guess that’s my “dark” side coming out. But don’t expect me to eat flour and raw meat. :p 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Lol...pretty much anything went with anything back in the 80s...including fashion & music, let alone holidays & themes! :)  “Killer in Halloween Mask” aired almost on Halloween...so might as well consider it that. :thumbsup: I remember watching all these episodes when they first aired & of course have seen them in reruns many times since...they were creepy watching them as a kid, but I kind of liked the thrill of being freaked out, lol! Guess that’s my “dark” side coming out. But don’t expect me to eat flour and raw meat. :p 

No, definitely not, you gotta follow the recipes when it comes to raw meat and flour; "The Shadow" chose not to, and he really made a mess of things:).

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

No, definitely not, you gotta follow the recipes when it comes to raw meat and flour; "The Shadow" chose not to, and he really made a mess of things:).

498F64EC-83BD-45D7-8842-EAB42B7195B1.png

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

Just now, ViceFanMan said:

498F64EC-83BD-45D7-8842-EAB42B7195B1.png

The man was a disaster in the kitchen (that's why Gilmore wanted to keep him away from the icebox); maybe that was his problem, that he was frustrated (horrified, in fact) with his cooking skills.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

The man was a disaster in the kitchen (that's why Gilmore wanted to keep him away from the icebox); maybe that was his problem, that he was frustrated (horrified, in fact) with his cooking skills.

Lol...culinary expert he wasn’t! :p

• Like 1

Lol...culinary expert he wasn’t! :p

No, he certainly wasn't; maybe that's why he moved upstairs in these houses, to try his hand at fashion/redecorating. He didn't seem to make the grade with that either. A scary guy was "The Shadow", but with no culinary skills or dramatic flair for fashion (now, he had an eye for outdoor architecture, so his talent may've been centered on that).

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Eillio Martin Imbasciati said:

No, he certainly wasn't; maybe that's why he moved upstairs in these houses, to try his hand at fashion/redecorating. He didn't seem to make the grade with that either. A scary guy was "The Shadow", but with no culinary skills or dramatic flair for fashion (now, he had an eye for outdoor architecture, so his talent may've been centered on that).

Lol...if he’d of just stuck to simple B&E, he might’ve had something there! :)

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

A marvelous episode with fine acting by DJ and a great score by JH--a different kind of MV score that IMHO works much better with the episode's visuals then without it.

The risk-taking of this episode and its noir feel is the kind of vibe that made MV better than all other cops and detective shows. 10 of 10.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, FlemFan said:

a different kind of MV score that IMHO works much better with the episode's visuals then without it.

As you may already know, in a 1987 issue of Keyboard Magazine, Jan discussed this score in depth, and how he used a then-new computer program to generate the brooding mix of notes therein—a very interesting read! He also shared the isolated tracks with the magazine, and they published a vinyl insert. I shared those with one of our members, and he posted them to YouTube! 

• Like 2

vor 21 Minuten schrieb Dadrian:

As you may already know, in a 1987 issue of Keyboard Magazine, Jan discussed this score in depth, and how he used a then-new computer program to generate the brooding mix of notes therein—a very interesting read! He also shared the isolated tracks with the magazine, and they published a vinyl insert. I shared those with one of our members, and he posted them to YouTube! 

These flexidisc tracks circulated among fans in the early 90s already long before JH put those tracks -or better a combined track version - on his "MV Complete collection" album.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlemFan said:

PS. Surprised no one got the flour/raw meat connection. You dip the meat in flour before frying, but the Shadow had a different way of . . . 

Actually, I’ve gotten the “cooking” connection with meat being dipped in flour before cooking...but usually it’s not steak. However, maybe Fish-Mouth was trying to make a chicken-fried steak, lol! :) But, FYI...you have to still cook it. ;) Or, maybe Shadow was trying to create his own bizarre version of steak tar-tar? :wuerg: Whatever the case, as I’ve stated before...culinary expert he ain’t. :p 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wolfie1996 said:

Was it only me that found this episode totally unwatchable?

Must have been?? ?( This is probably one of the most creepy, but wild & fascinating episodes of the season & show! It’s freaky to think that it was based on a real-life case...bizarre but captivating at the same time! :clap: But, everyone has their likes & dislikes. :thumbsup: 

Edited by ViceFanMan

12 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Must have been?? ?( This is probably one of the most creepy, but wild & fascinating episodes of the season & show! It’s freaky to think that it was based on a real-life case...bizarre but captivating at the same time! :clap: But, everyone has their likes & dislikes. :thumbsup: 

I'm sure it's popular but to be honest I couldn't watch it to the end. Sonny's reactions were stretching credibility.

8 minutes ago, wolfie1996 said:

I'm sure it's popular but to be honest I couldn't watch it to the end. Sonny's reactions were stretching credibility.

The whole episode was a stretch of the imagination and stereotypical “reality”. But, when you realize it was based off a true story, to me it makes it more creepy and interesting! Good freaky one to air on Halloween! But, that’s just my opinion. :dance2: 

The whole episode was a stretch of the imagination and stereotypical “reality”. But, when you realize it was based off a true story, to me it makes it more creepy and interesting! Good freaky one to air on Halloween! But, that’s just my opinion. :dance2: 

To which you're perfectly entitled, VFM, and no need to put the "just" in front of it :) I've watched part of it and it was getting a bit too bizarre for my liking....I suppose Halloween is a bigger thing in the USA than it is here. Nah, it's well down in my preferences  though fair enough, above "Missing Hours"- but isn't everything? What part was the "true" story then? The crazy perpetrator or the cop acting  strangely? Or both?

2 minutes ago, wolfie1996 said:

To which you're perfectly entitled, VFM, and no need to put the "just" in front of it :) I've watched part of it and it was getting a bit too bizarre for my liking....I suppose Halloween is a bigger thing in the USA than it is here. Nah, it's well down in my preferences  though fair enough, above "Missing Hours"- but isn't everything? What part was the "true" story then? The crazy perpetrator or the cop acting  strangely? Or both?

True, everything is well above “Missing Hours”!! I can’t think of an episode of any show in TV history, that’s that bad! :p But, “Shadow” is one of my favorites of the season & show.

As for exactly which aspects are what happened with the real-life case...I’m not exactly sure? I know the crazy intruder was a ‘true’ part, but as for the whole episode?? As was “Out Where the Buses Don’t Run”, I know it’s based on a true story...but ‘based’ is probably the cue-word.

It’s probably some of both...bizarre intruder they can’t seem to catch, and a cop or cops getting obsessed with the case & maybe even having some mental issues or a breakdown. But, I’m sure a lot was created or added for the episode to make it more dramatic and wild. ;)

• Like 1