Episode #50 "Shadow In The Dark"

Ferrariman

2 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

True, everything is well above “Missing Hours”!! I can’t think of an episode of any show in TV history, that’s that bad! :p But, “Shadow” is one of my favorites of the season & show.

As for exactly which aspects are what happened with the real-life case...I’m not exactly sure? I know the crazy intruder was a ‘true’ part, but as for the whole episode?? As was “Out Where the Buses Don’t Run”, I know it’s based on a true story...but ‘based’ is probably the cue-word.

It’s probably some of both...bizarre intruder they can’t seem to catch, and a cop or cops getting obsessed with the case & maybe even having some mental issues or a breakdown. But, I’m sure a lot was created or added for the episode to make it more dramatic and wild. ;)

I have tried to like it! But a deranged looking Sonny is a step too far :) I just  don't think it fits with his personality. Still, it wouldn't do if the episodes were too identical, I suppose. And we're all different and different  people find  different elements satisfying.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wolfie1996 said:

I have tried to like it! But a deranged looking Sonny is a step too far :) I just  don't think it fits with his personality. Still, it wouldn't do if the episodes were too identical, I suppose. And we're all different and different  people find  different elements satisfying.

True...but I think that’s what they were trying to portray, that Sonny was getting too obsessed and psychologically deranged with the case. But, he became totally deranged and whack-job with the Burnett episodes...so this episode was nothing compared to that, lol! :)

10 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

True...but I think that’s what they were trying to portray, that Sonny was getting too obsessed and psychologically deranged with the case. But, he became totally deranged and whack-job with the Burnett episodes...so this episode was nothing compared to that, lol! :)

Opinions differ on the Burnett saga! Don't forget he kept having  momentary memories of his real life coming back. I agree that that too (the alter ego) was another stretch of the imagination. I suppose they got round it (sort of) by amnesia following physical trauma being a real thing (it is because I was knocked out following a riding fall  and never did remember  what happened though I've walked, ridden and driven on that same piece of road many times since. My first conscious thought was "Hey!  that's my good jacket you're cutting off there!!!  Paramedics had arrived so you can  see how long I'd been out). Also there was the cumulative stress of the previous episodes to take into account. I don't think he lost his real self except on a very rare occasion. I think they had to kind of  keep him in touch with it to keep the audience on side, and also to make his "return"  believable. Must get harder and harder to think of new plots  after the number they'd churned out :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wolfie1996 said:

Opinions differ on the Burnett saga! Don't forget he kept having  momentary memories of his real life coming back. I agree that that too (the alter ego) was another stretch of the imagination. I suppose they got round it (sort of) by amnesia following physical trauma being a real thing (it is because I was knocked out following a riding fall  and never did remember  what happened though I've walked, ridden and driven on that same piece of road many times since. My first conscious thought was "Hey!  that's my good jacket you're cutting off there!!!  Paramedics had arrived so you can  see how long I'd been out). Also there was the cumulative stress of the previous episodes to take into account. I don't think he lost his real self except on a very rare occasion. I think they had to kind of  keep him in touch with it to keep the audience on side, and also to make his "return"  believable. Must get harder and harder to think of new plots  after the number they'd churned out :)

I know opinions differ with this...but, I’m sorry, the Burnett ones were so unrealistic & bizarre that it came across as ridiculous...as well as destructive to the character of Crockett.

But, again, that’s my opinion...we all love the show & characters! :dance2:

1 hour ago, ViceFanMan said:

I agree with you about "Shadow", but he was not "deranged" nor a "whack job" in the Burnett saga.  He had a head injury on top of the crushing mental and emotional stress of his wife's murder and his own violation of his oath as a police officer when he killed Hackman.  Those things caused amnesia, and he assumed an identity that was somewhat familiar (as his regular "cover") in large part because the people around him (whom he neither knew nor trusted) told him he was a drug dealer and treated him as such.  He did terrible things as Burnett, but there was no sign of psychosis.  In large part, while amnesic, he was doing his best to stay alive and succeed in the world in which he found himself.  Later, as wolfie1996 states, he experienced flashbacks to his real identity and his previous life. 

The effect on Sonny's psyche (of Hackman's death) was regardless of whether Hackman was trying to kill him (as you believe) and self-defense was used, or not.  He had still gone to the island to hunt Hackman down, and his intent was to kill the man who had murdered Caitlin.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, vicegirl85 said:

I agree with you about "Shadow", but he was not "deranged" nor a "whack job" in the Burnett saga.  He had a head injury on top of the crushing mental and emotional stress of his wife's murder and his own violation of his oath as a police officer when he killed Hackman.  Those things caused amnesia, and he assumed an identity that was somewhat familiar (as his regular "cover") in large part because the people around him (whom he neither knew nor trusted) told him he was a drug dealer and treated him as such.  He did terrible things as Burnett, but there was no sign of psychosis.  In large part, while amnesic, he was doing his best to stay alive and succeed in the world in which he found himself.  Later, as wolfie1996 states, he experienced flashbacks to his real identity and his previous life. 

The effect on Sonny's psyche (of Hackman's death) was regardless of whether Hackman was trying to kill him (as you believe) and self-defense was used, or not.  He had still gone to the island to hunt Hackman down, and his intent was to kill the man who had murdered Caitlin.

Crockett originally went to kill Hackman...but ultimately didn’t just shoot him out right. It’s not what I “believe”...it’s flat out shown in the episode with the gun scene...whether it really was network forced or not. Like it or not, that’s what they ultimately did in that episode. ;)

Amnesia (forgetting who you are or where you came from) from an injury or trauma is one thing...but how they had him turn into a (yes) deranged, gun-wielding drug-thug was ridiculous! :rolleyes: Burnett was a facade...Crockett and his subconscious always knew this. It was a desperate attempt to try and get back ratings, and you could tell...and it sadly had the opposite effect. 

Shadow was a different kind of deranged whack-job. However, as crazy as he appeared, he also had his motives and reasons for what he did. 

3 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Crockett originally went to kill Hackman...but ultimately didn’t just shoot him out right. It’s not what I “believe”...it’s flat out shown in the episode with the gun scene...whether it really was network forced or not. Like it or not, that’s what they ultimately did in that episode. ;)

Amnesia (forgetting who you are or where you came from) from an injury or trauma is one thing...but how they had him turn into a (yes) deranged, gun-wielding drug-thug was ridiculous! :rolleyes: Burnett was a facade...Crockett and his subconscious always knew this. It was a desperate attempt to try and get back ratings, and you could tell...and it sadly had the opposite effect. 

Shadow was a different kind of deranged whack-job. However, as crazy as he appeared, he also had his motives and reasons for what he did. 

You really need to stop insisting you're right about the gun scene. Bren and I broke it down for you, both with video and a second-by-second analysis. Like it or not, they DID NOT show Hackman with a gun while he was still alive. Not once. Period. You only see a gun after Hackman is dead, and its positioning is questionable. The scene is ambiguous...no second gunman on the grassy knoll...no third man in the corner, not even Roger Hollis throwing the whole thing for the KGB.

I understand that ambiguity seems hard for some to grasp, but it's the way the scene was shot. We're left to decide on our own what happened. That's what they ultimately did in that episode. And it makes the scene FAR more powerful than it would have been if we saw Hackman pulling a gun on Sonny. You can choose to believe he did, or you can choose to believe he didn't. But in the end it's your choice, not something they showed the audience.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Robbie C. said:

You really need to stop insisting you're right about the gun scene. Bren and I broke it down for you, both with video and a second-by-second analysis. Like it or not, they DID NOT show Hackman with a gun while he was still alive. Not once. Period. You only see a gun after Hackman is dead, and its positioning is questionable. The scene is ambiguous...no second gunman on the grassy knoll...no third man in the corner, not even Roger Hollis throwing the whole thing for the KGB.

I understand that ambiguity seems hard for some to grasp, but it's the way the scene was shot. We're left to decide on our own what happened. That's what they ultimately did in that episode. And it makes the scene FAR more powerful than it would have been if we saw Hackman pulling a gun on Sonny. You can choose to believe he did, or you can choose to believe he didn't. But in the end it's your choice, not something they showed the audience.

I don’t need to “insist” on anything, it’s right there in the episode whether you like it or not, lol! :) I don’t care who broke what down, the scene is there...I didn’t come up with it, or decide it, either the writers/producers did, or the network did, but whatever the case...“they” chose to make the ending ultimately a justifiable shoot. I’m just acknowledging it.

They didn’t have to show Hackman with a gun before Crockett got there...there was no purpose for that, and Hackman would be armed, anyway. They didn’t have to show Hackman grabbing for the gun or reaching for it, as they wanted the drama of making you think Crockett was going to just shoot him. But, then they show that Hackman already had a gun in his hand. He was going to try and shoot Crockett, but Sonny saw it, and got his shot off first. 

You can choose to pretend that’s not there, because you would have preferred the other way...but, I’m sorry the truth is right there in the scene. ;) I’ve watched that part a “million” times (both on an original NBC airing, as well as the universal DVD set), And there’s nothing to “break down”.

Now...again, this is not the thread for this discussion. The thread for that episode, and a couple other ones specifically about the gun scene are where it’s more applicable. 

Returning to “Shadow”...what is it that he eats at the end, that the officer tells him it will make him sick, and then he says I’m already sick? :wuerg:

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

On 4/16/2021 at 7:57 PM, ViceFanMan said:

Returning to “Shadow”...what is it that he eats at the end, that the officer tells him it will make him sick, and then he says I’m already sick? :wuerg:

The Shadow is punning, that he is indeed a [mentally] sick man.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, FlemFan said:

The Shadow is punning, that he is indeed a [mentally] sick man.

True...he acknowledged he was mentally sick...but what was it he was eating that the officer said “it’ll make you sick”? 

25 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

True...he acknowledged he was mentally sick...but what was it he was eating that the officer said “it’ll make you sick”? 

The fingerprint ink?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just rewatched the famous “Shadow” last night. This one never fails to freak me out, but yet fascinates me at the same time! I’ve read before that this wild, bizarre, but superb & captivating episode was based off a true story by writer Chuck Adamson, who used to be a cop. What elements were the “true” parts, I’m not for sure...but, this whole story seems realistic to me, even today with the increase in mental illnesses, violence, and drug use/abuse.

These were some of my original thoughts regarding this episode:

From 2013: [Superb episode!! :clap: I was spending the night at a friend's house that Halloween 1986. It was storming outside too, no I'm not kidding, and after watching this episode that night I was freaked out! :eek: I kept looking out the window with the thunder and lightning thinking...if I see that guy standing outside the next time the lightning flashes, I'll die of a heart attack before he can get me! 

This one just captivates me, and I'll be honest...it still kind of freaks me out when I watch it! I give kudos to anything that can still kind of scare me, as I like spooky or scary stuff and I'm kind of picky when it comes to what's really truly scary or just Hollywood crap. ;) There's so many psychos, "whackos", nut-jobs, druggies, crazies, etc...out there today, that I can see this happening for real---as I stated before this was based off a real-life case that a cop wrote a book about once.

But, I still don't understand the whole "fish-mouth" actions by Shadow-Man??( What was that all about? What I also thought was bizarre was that Shadow only made Frankenstein-like grunts or moans throughout the episode, until the end...when he actually did talk. Don did a superb job of acting in this one too, and he deserves kudos for sure!! :clap: Love Crockett's nightmare...that one made me jump 10 feet for sure the first time I saw this!

I just love watching this one everytime and it's definitely one of Season 3's best...in fact it might be my favorite for that season! :thumbsup: Hmm...steak sounds really good about now...but I like mine cooked. :p]

More From 2013: [He freaked me out too...still does! What's crazy is I was re-watching this one again last night, and it was storming outside just like it was on Halloween 1986, when I first watched it! Once again, I was listening to all kinds of banging and strange noises outside while the wind, thunder, and lightning raged on--it was a little too much deja-vu for me! :eek: 

However, instead of thinking if I look out the window and see Shadow standing there when the lightning flashed, I'll probably have a heart attack like I did when I was a kid...I was thinking I have my 9mm to greet Mr. "Steak Tartare" :p (in case anyone is wondering that's a dish made up of mainly raw meat or steak).

Did they ever really figure out what Shadow's obsession was with the flour and raw steak? I kind of got the whole lipstick drawings of violence and killing...him basically showing each time that he was working his way up to the final victims' bedroom to kill. But, what did the flour, raw steak, and taking men's pants have to do with that? I know he was completely insane and a madman with homicidal and/or violent tendencies...but I was just wondering if those aspects were ever really explained...or they were just left as the bizarre and twisted "brainfarts" of a demented, evil psychopath? :rolleyes:]

From 2018 discussing possible mental illness diagnosis: [Along with sociopath, schizophrenia could definitely be another diagnosis...added to a list that who knows how long would end up being! :p 

However, regardless of all the diagnosis’ and mental illnesses “dreamed” up for him—he was evil...and got-off stalking, tormenting, attacking, and ultimately attempting to kill people.]

No, I’m not an actual “licensed” therapist or psychiatrist, but I do work in the mental health field, and the psychology & delve into the dark psyche in this one always peaks my interest. Totally perfect for airing on Halloween, love that I got to watch it when it originally aired (when storming no-less), and just love the episode overall!

Not something you’d originally expect with MV...but delivered far beyond what many other “stereotypical” plots/episodes brought forth! I originally gave this one a 9 (must have been a typo or perhaps I was ticked Shadow wasted such good steak at the time), but I’d totally give it a 10 if I could change it!! :dance2: :thumbsup: 

78E073AD-AA9F-4EF2-BC08-626940434634.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Originally aired Halloween 1986.  Quite fitting.  Starting with Vice's most unsettling teaser (note how we see "The Shadow" skulking outside the house, then, on the next cut, he's already inside entering the upstairs bedroom.  It's momentarily disorienting that we don't see him first entering the house.)  Vincent Caristi is chilling as this psycho, especially with his biting gesture. (And an precursor to Heath Ledger's Joker in that shot of him in the police car after being arrested.)  It's all very Manhunter.  Jack Thibeau is also memorable as the lieutenant who's been on this case too long; he's ready to snap when we first meet him.  And, less than halfway through the episode, he does. 

Jan Hammer's "Shadow in the Dark" music is one of his best: icy, sinister, beautiful.  

This might have worked better as a two-parter.  Sonny turning into an obsessive like Gilmore feels too rushed.  The confusion of when he's dreaming or not is excellent, though - more disorientation.  A top 5 of the third season definitely. 

Probably the creepiest Vice ep.  I love the depiction of night time - illuminated trees and houses against pitch-black skies, the rustle of wind, shadows. 

Edited by Jack Gretsky
  • Like 3

On 5/20/2021 at 7:44 PM, ViceFanMan said:

Just rewatched the famous “Shadow” last night. This one never fails to freak me out, but yet fascinates me at the same time! I’ve read before that this wild, bizarre, but superb & captivating episode was based off a true story by writer Chuck Adamson, who used to be a cop. What elements were the “true” parts, I’m not for sure...but, this whole story seems realistic to me, even today with the increase in mental illnesses, violence, and drug use/abuse.

These were some of my original thoughts regarding this episode:

From 2013: [Superb episode!! :clap: I was spending the night at a friend's house that Halloween 1986. It was storming outside too, no I'm not kidding, and after watching this episode that night I was freaked out! :eek: I kept looking out the window with the thunder and lightning thinking...if I see that guy standing outside the next time the lightning flashes, I'll die of a heart attack before he can get me! 

This one just captivates me, and I'll be honest...it still kind of freaks me out when I watch it! I give kudos to anything that can still kind of scare me, as I like spooky or scary stuff and I'm kind of picky when it comes to what's really truly scary or just Hollywood crap. ;) There's so many psychos, "whackos", nut-jobs, druggies, crazies, etc...out there today, that I can see this happening for real---as I stated before this was based off a real-life case that a cop wrote a book about once.

But, I still don't understand the whole "fish-mouth" actions by Shadow-Man??( What was that all about? What I also thought was bizarre was that Shadow only made Frankenstein-like grunts or moans throughout the episode, until the end...when he actually did talk. Don did a superb job of acting in this one too, and he deserves kudos for sure!! :clap: Love Crockett's nightmare...that one made me jump 10 feet for sure the first time I saw this!

I just love watching this one everytime and it's definitely one of Season 3's best...in fact it might be my favorite for that season! :thumbsup: Hmm...steak sounds really good about now...but I like mine cooked. :p]

More From 2013: [He freaked me out too...still does! What's crazy is I was re-watching this one again last night, and it was storming outside just like it was on Halloween 1986, when I first watched it! Once again, I was listening to all kinds of banging and strange noises outside while the wind, thunder, and lightning raged on--it was a little too much deja-vu for me! :eek: 

However, instead of thinking if I look out the window and see Shadow standing there when the lightning flashed, I'll probably have a heart attack like I did when I was a kid...I was thinking I have my 9mm to greet Mr. "Steak Tartare" :p (in case anyone is wondering that's a dish made up of mainly raw meat or steak).

Did they ever really figure out what Shadow's obsession was with the flour and raw steak? I kind of got the whole lipstick drawings of violence and killing...him basically showing each time that he was working his way up to the final victims' bedroom to kill. But, what did the flour, raw steak, and taking men's pants have to do with that? I know he was completely insane and a madman with homicidal and/or violent tendencies...but I was just wondering if those aspects were ever really explained...or they were just left as the bizarre and twisted "brainfarts" of a demented, evil psychopath? :rolleyes:]

From 2018 discussing possible mental illness diagnosis: [Along with sociopath, schizophrenia could definitely be another diagnosis...added to a list that who knows how long would end up being! :p 

However, regardless of all the diagnosis’ and mental illnesses “dreamed” up for him—he was evil...and got-off stalking, tormenting, attacking, and ultimately attempting to kill people.]

No, I’m not an actual “licensed” therapist or psychiatrist, but I do work in the mental health field, and the psychology & delve into the dark psyche in this one always peaks my interest. Totally perfect for airing on Halloween, love that I got to watch it when it originally aired (when storming no-less), and just love the episode overall!

Not something you’d originally expect with MV...but delivered far beyond what many other “stereotypical” plots/episodes brought forth! I originally gave this one a 9 (must have been a typo or perhaps I was ticked Shadow wasted such good steak at the time), but I’d totally give it a 10 if I could change it!! :dance2: :thumbsup: 

78E073AD-AA9F-4EF2-BC08-626940434634.jpeg

Re-watching this one again at the moment (on my Blu-ray set this time, rather than my Universal DVD set or my original NBC airing). Above is my newest review from a few months ago. Still love & am enthralled and fascinated with this one!

However, I happened to notice something this go-around that I really haven’t paid that much attention to before. When Gilmore first meets Crockett & Tubbs, and takes them into the current “Shadow/Fish-Mouth” crime scene, there’s the bizarre drawings on the wall. Crockett reaches out & touches the drawings, then smells his fingers (probably to see if there was an odor of say blood or ink). But, then he puts his fingers in his mouth & tastes it!! I’m like...what the “heck”?? :eek:

Nobody, even in the 80s, would ‘taste’ something from a crime scene! It very well could be blood...or even if it is lipstick, ‘ya don’t freakin’ eat it!! :sick: It’s like on old TV shows (older than MV) when they have the cop or detective-stars ‘taste’ cocaine to see if it was good quality. I’ve read that real life cops & law enforcement have said that that was unrealistic & didn’t happen...that nobody in real life ever put something from a criminal or crime scene in their mouth! 

The scene in this episode of MV just seemed odd & unrealistic for Crockett in my opinion. But...it was 80s TV, and MV was more about visuals than reality. ;) This is still a superb, freaky, amazing episode...based on a real life case! :clap: 

Edited by ViceFanMan

• 4 months later...

New Miami Vice fan here. I just finished the series, which took me about a month, and I absolutely loved it. Shadow in the Dark is the episode that stuck with me the most, that's for sure. I'm 36 years old and have seen a plethora of horror/thriller films, including Michael Mann's Manhunter, but there was something about this episode that scared the living daylights out of me. Only one other time has cinema/tv affected me so strongly, and that was The Exorcist when I was 13. It's my second favorite episode of the series, only being surpassed by Bushido, because Castillo is my favorite MV character. 

• Like 1

vor 47 Minuten schrieb AKUS_1985:

New Miami Vice fan here. I just finished the series, which took me about a month, and I absolutely loved it. Shadow in the Dark is the episode that stuck with me the most, that's for sure. I'm 36 years old and have seen a plethora of horror/thriller films, including Michael Mann's Manhunter, but there was something about this episode that scared the living daylights out of me. Otnly one other time has cinema/tv affected me so strongly, and that was The Exorcist when I was 13. It's my second favorite episode of the series, only being surpassed by Bushido, because Castillo is my favorite MV character. 

Welcome!  3 episodes on average a day to get through all of it is not bad as a start :funky:

Congrats, you are at the right place and qualified as a member of the MV lunatics club :p!

Shadow in the dark was planned and aired on Halloween and it shows. It has many cult scenes and pretty good acting!

My favorite line/situation: "two coffees please" - "make it one!"  - "Cancel the one!". Castillo and Crockett at their best.:thumbsup:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AKUS_1985 said:

New Miami Vice fan here. I just finished the series, which took me about a month, and I absolutely loved it. Shadow in the Dark is the episode that stuck with me the most, that's for sure. I'm 36 years old and have seen a plethora of horror/thriller films, including Michael Mann's Manhunter, but there was something about this episode that scared the living daylights out of me. Only one other time has cinema/tv affected me so strongly, and that was The Exorcist when I was 13. It's my second favorite episode of the series, only being surpassed by Bushido, because Castillo is my favorite MV character. 

Welcome!! “Shadow in the Dark” was a superbly freaky episode, that aired on Halloween night 1986! :eek: It was one of two episodes actually based on a real-life case (“Out Where the Buses Don’t Run” being the other one)...so to me that makes it even more creepy! :funky: Enjoy the show, and this site! :thumbsup: 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Welcome!! “Shadow in the Dark” was a superbly freaky episode, that aired on Halloween night 1986! :eek: It was one of two episodes actually based on a real-life case (“Out Where the Buses Don’t Run” being the other one)...so to me that makes it even more creepy! :funky: Enjoy the show, and this site! :thumbsup: 

Oh wow. I did research Shadow in the Dark afterwards and discovered it was based on true events. But I didn't know OWTBDR was also. That's really interesting. Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AKUS_1985 said:

Oh wow. I did research Shadow in the Dark afterwards and discovered it was based on true events. But I didn't know OWTBDR was also. That's really interesting. Thanks for the info!

Granted, every time we see that phrase, the clue-word is “based”...meaning the idea of it, or parts of it, were true events, but more than likely a lot has been added or created for the movie or TV episode to make it more dramatic. ;) Same for the movie The Exorcist...it’s “based” on true events, but a lot of the movie was created/fabricated for shock value & dramatics, compared to what really happened.

I’m not positive on the specifics of the real life cases these MV episodes are based on, but I do know there was at least some truth to them somewhere. :dance2:

• Like 2

I couldn't enjoy this episode AT ALL.  I know I should enjoy it, but.... I was prejudiced against it, due to what was just odd bad timing.  
I'd just come off of seeing this movie in 1986 called Manhunter, and I actually didn't catch this Vice episode until when they were doing repeats months later.  
At the time I didn't even know Manhunter was done by MANN the man (LOL, at my age I didn't have the brains to appreciate a movie's "director" unless he was George Lucas or Steven Spielberg or Cecil B DeMille).  
But every minute that I watch Shadow in the Dark, I kept saying "wait---somebody is trying to  off that movie Manhunter.  Crockett, stop that---they already have a guy in Miami who's super-skilled at catching tooth-fairies--why are you trying to take his job?  And you don't even do the role as well has he does it!  And you don't HAVE to do that stuff.  You're Sonny Crockett!!  Snap out of that nonsense--I like you just the say you are being criminal-psychic dude.  Sonny,... don't you like being Sonny Crockett, vice cop?"

Seriously I kept worrying that the creators had decided to make some changes to the show, and that serial-killer-psychic-solver gift was going to be regularly added to Sonny's character from her on.  The idea really turned me off. 

If anyone hasn't seen Manhunter, see it.  William Peterson played his role in a hip '80s way that  competes well with Jodie Foster for favorite FBI hunter.  And to me he's the only guy who successfully made a face-full-of-beard look COOL to me in the '80s  

But all the haunting, the killer evolving with each new victim, and the danger of the hunter starting to suffer mental breakdown, all the stuff in this Vice episode is in the Manhunter movie,... so I just couldn't ever give the episode an un-biased viewing. 

Edited by Augusta
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Augusta said:

I couldn't enjoy this episode AT ALL.  I know I should enjoy it, but.... I was prejudiced against it, due to what was just odd bad timing.  
I'd just come off of seeing this movie in 1986 called Manhunter, and I actually didn't catch this Vice episode until when they were doing repeats months later.  
At the time I didn't even know Manhunter was done by MANN the man (LOL, at my age I didn't have the brains to appreciate a movie's "director" unless he was George Lucas or Steven Spielberg or Cecil B DeMille).  
But every minute that I watch Shadow in the Dark, I kept saying "wait---somebody is trying to  off that movie Manhunter.  Crockett, stop that---they already have a guy in Miami who's super-skilled at catching tooth-fairies--why are you trying to take his job?  And you don't even do the role as well has he does it!  And you don't HAVE to do that stuff.  You're Sonny Crockett!!  Snap out of that nonsense--I like you just the say you are being criminal-psychic dude.  Sonny,... don't you like being Sonny Crockett, vice cop?"

Seriously I kept worrying that the creators had decided to make some changes to the show, and that serial-killer-psychic-solver gift was going to be regularly added to Sonny's character from her on.  The idea really turned me off. 

If anyone hasn't seen Manhunter, see it.  William Peterson played his role in a hip '80s way that  competes well with Jodie Foster for favorite FBI hunter.  And to me he's the only guy who successfully made a face-full-of-beard look COOL to me in the '80s  

But all the haunting, the killer evolving with each new victim, and the danger of the hunter starting to suffer mental breakdown, all the stuff in this Vice episode is in the Manhunter movie,... so I just couldn't ever give the episode an un-biased viewing. 

I don’t know about it being a take-off of Manhunter...several people have said that?? I just know it’s based off a true case of a cop in the 70s, I believe. I’ve seen tons of serial killer, psycho-stalker TV shows & movies over the years...and this episode of MV is still very freaky & makes your skin crawl! :eek: It’s so bizarre & random...yet it’s methodical and planned out in ‘Shadow’s’ mind. It’s one of the season’s best, in my opinion! :thumbsup: 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ViceFanMan said:

I don’t know about it being a take-off of Manhunter...several people have said that?? I just know it’s based off a true case of a cop in the 70s, I believe. I’ve seen tons of serial killer, psycho-stalker TV shows & movies over the years...and this episode of MV is still very freaky & makes your skin crawl! :eek: It’s so bizarre & random...yet it’s methodical and planned out in ‘Shadow’s’ mind. It’s one of the season’s best, in my opinion! :thumbsup: 

For me, it does echo of "Manhunter" (I was just thinking of this film again the other night; I saw a house blue lit, and my mind went right to "Manhunter") a bit (someone stalking houses, Crockett turning into a Will Graham-esque profiler and paying the price for it, but all with a lot less violence presented; one of my fav episodes for sure; I agree ViceFanMan, one of the best Season 3 has to offer), and I love the episode for that! 

• Like 4