Dick Wolf talks about Miami Vice

Tommy Vercetti

Thanks for the interview. Very interesting talk. This is the first I have ever seen or heard Dick Wolf. First impression was what an ego this guy has. Criticizing season 2? Then says season 3 & 4 better? Oh..please. But as the interview goes on, he's a bit more likeable. But still...now I know who to blame for season 3-5 being not as good.

Thanks a lot for this. I do think Dick Wolf gave Miami Vice a new life. As many will, I disagree about what he said on 2nd season. Well, that season maybe had some "weird stuff", and I'd point eps like "Tale Of The Goat" as example. But such ep is heaven in comparison with "Missing Hours" and "Cows Of October", which I believe happened under Mr. Wolf responsability...

Wow, fantastic interview. So Dick Wolf was responsible for the long running arcs in S3, S4 & S5? That's very interesting to think about. Wolf was responsible for things such as Crockett's "burning out" for example which only served to DEEPEN the original two seasons.Like he says in the interview, the first two seasons are rather non-linear, something that happens in one episode does not effect the next etc.I think Dick Wolf is severely underrated by Vice fans IMO.

Guest neworder

Hang on, Season 1 had the Calderone storyline, continued into season 2, same with the valerie arc and lombard arc.Then DICK comes up with the stupid wedding arc...ooo what an exciting arc that more resembled a soap than a cop show, Burnett trilogy fair do's is good, then hackman arc boo hoo, quite good but nothing hugely special, then the police corruption in season 5 which was a waste of time. Then season 5 brings back arcs from seasons 1/2 e.g lombard/valerie.Im sorry i disagree with his non-linear comments because his seasons were non linear too, perhaps with the exception of the marriage in season 4 but that was a ****e arc apart from when she gets shot. The burnett trilogy is the only really decent thing wolf can put his name on.Seasons 1/2 have as many recurring themes as seasons 3/4/5 IMO!SJB

I think Wolfie did a lot of good for the show. Season 3 is a great season with very strong writing and many great episodes. He wrote my favourite episode Down For The Count (tied with Death & The Lady) and he did a terrific job on it. The Hackman arc is great. Forgive Us Our Debts is superb and Deliver Us From Evil is great too.Season 3 is, for the most part, a great season but it ran out of steam a bit towards the end with some weak episodes.Things went downhill on his watch with season 4 though.Season 4 had two of the greatest episodes, Death & The Lady and Mirror Image, and some other excellent episodes, Child's Play, The Rising Sun of Death, Indian Wars, Honor Among Thieves, A Bullet For Crockett (although it was only a clip show) and Deliver Us From Evil. But apart from that, the rest of season 4 is a complete waste of time. The weakest season of Vice.He wasn't involved with season 5 though and that's a great season and a return to form after season 4.

Guest neworder

Agreed Season 3 is very good, in fact im watching through it at the moment and finding myself enjoying it much more than the last time i viewed it, but yes the end of the season is hopeless, what were they thinking?Dick Wolf was in control when the dreaded missing hours was made so to be fair for that reason alone, he shouldn't be boasting as much as he does in that vid lol. I was checking the filming dates of season 4 eps cos i remembered someone once asking why cows of october was ever made after missing hours, found the dates and cows was made the same week that missing hours was shown on TV, bet everyone on the set was thinking s*it we've ****ed up another episode after the reception missing hours got.