Movies you have seen recently

ArtieRollins

I havent caught that show - but it looks like Moore playing that part he played so well with much charm and charisma like the English gentleman he is :shout:

• Like 1

yeah, in "The Persuaders", Roger Moore plays a British aristocratic dandy named Lord Brett Sinclair, and Tony Curtis plays American self-made millionaire Danny Wilde, who grew up rough in New York City. They spend 22 episodes together helping a judge sort out his toughest cases.

It's really entertaining. Lots of early 70s stylishness, if that's your thing, and plenty of on-location shoots in the Mediterranean :)

Edited by Daytona74

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 8:07 PM, Tommy Vercetti said:

I didn't like At Close Range. I thought it was a poor film despite Penn and Walken.

Walken's best role IMO was Frank White. The King.

Sorry to hear that. I like real biographical type stories but one thing that stood out and actually won acclaim was the fantastic cinematography.

The movie may not be an academy award winner or anything like that, but the camera work and lighting were very cool. Lots of up and coming directors look back to that film for inspiration.

I have never seen the "KING" I will have to see if it's at my local vidoe store.

• 4 weeks later...

Ghostbusters (2016) by Paul Feig

Probably the most unfunny "comedy" I have seen in years.So much that I was at times almost a bit "fascinated" by how poor the script/plot really was. But what irritated me the most (beside the fact that I actually spent my money on the DVD) was how they screwed up the great big city feel the originals had going.

You have one of the greatest cities on the planet and in every scene it just felt completely dull and "dead" and lacked any of the atmosphere that the two original films had so much of, and they were proud of their city, but with Ghostbusters 2016 New York is just as bland and shallow as the film itself, which is truly impressive as they made one of the biggest and famous cities look like the city of the dead. 

It did not help that the soundtrack was just as lifeless. 

Everyone involved in this turd should be ashamed of this terrible and generic piece of gargabe, and that includes Bill Murray, Ernie Hudson and Dan Aykroyd too. Shame on ya all. 

The only reason I end up with a very, very kind 3/10 not 1/10 is that the movie was so bad it almost, almost became interesting. 

The other point goes to Kirsten Wiig alone, who I have always had a thing for, sadly if she run around naked for 2 hours it still would not be enough to save this horror show.

• Like 2

Just saw a movie called "Anamolisa"

It's a mix of animation and almost reality. Hard to explain as this type of animation is new. The characters are very real like but somehow like puppets. You have to see it and the story line is extremely well done. You have to pay attention to the hidden plot, but it was superbly done.

By the way be warned it's "R" rated so now you know. This is NOT animation for kids.

Fantastic review of the new Ghostbusters ArtieRollins.:D was just going to pretend it didn't exist but now gotta watch it out of curiosity.

What's with these new movies looking so soulless and dull? It's funny how you can tell the difference between works of art and mind-numbing, factory farm reboots/sequels within 2 seconds of looking at it. It's almost as if the eye was designed to spot bad movies.

• Like 1

On 4.1.2017 at 2:58 AM, Matt5 said:

Interesting about Ghostbusters - I thoughreviews would be bad:D:done:

In an article where The Guardian critics picked the most significant art and literature productions, critic Peter Bradshaw picked Ghostbusters remake as the most significant film of the year. “If there is one film that holds a political key to understanding 2016, it is Ghostbusters: that funny, good-natured, easygoing female remake of the 1980s original,” he wrote. 

All-Female Ghostbusters Best Cultural Movie of 2016 - The Guardian 

:)

Edited by ArtieRollins
  • Like 1

Walken in True Romance, amazing. As far as recent films, gazed Rogue One, and although I m not the biggest Star Wars fan, it was a really good movie overall. 

I will no lose  two hours of my life watching the new ghostbusters. 

• Like 1

I can't even remember all the films we watched during the the last 2 weeks, it was ridiculous. It was just friends and Family sitting around talking (and drinking)with the movie channel in the background.

Here's some of them:

--Lawrence of Arabia,Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation, Last Tango in Paris, Wizard of Oz, Dead Pool (The superhero not the dirty harry unfortunately), John Wick, Indiana Jones & Temple of Doom, Dances with Wolves, Great Expectations, The Good the bad and the ugly, Star Wars, Godfather part II. etc

• Like 1

Vincent I have the directors cut of "Lawrence of Arabia and have watched it probably a dozen times over the years. It never grows old. Wonderful film and great cinematography. However this is Hollywood's depiction of what happened in 1917 and is fairly accurate however it has many parts that I may say are taking dramatic license.  Great movie anyway and is a classic for sure!

I did however go out and buy the book "Seven Pillars of Wisdom" written by T.E.Lawrence. It was always out at the library, so I broke down and bought my own. I will tell you it is a difficult read as Lawrence is a fabulous writer, and it will really give you insite as to the Middle East Conflict of today. It explains the Pico-Sykes agreement that carved up the Ottoman Empire after WWI as well as many of the tribal histories of the Arabs. Fascinating book and will open your eyes to what is REALLY going on over there today.

• Like 1

One of things on my bucket list is to see Lawrence of Arabia in a theatre in 70mm. I usually try to avoid watching it on TV just so It'll be fresh when that day comes when you get to see it in it's full glory on the big screen, but ended up caving in and sat in awe at this wondrous movie.

I was thinking of picking up the book but was put off by the length. Will have to check it out some time definitely. I do love how the story and aftermath is as pertinent now as it was 100 years ago.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vincent Hanna said:

One of things on my bucket list is to see Lawrence of Arabia in a theatre in 70mm. I usually try to avoid watching it on TV just so It'll be fresh when that day comes when you get to see it in it's full glory on the big screen, but ended up caving in and sat in awe at this wondrous movie.

You just reminded me of when I was single and living in Detroit MI.  One of the grand theaters which had been operating since the 1920s had a complete restoration and for the reopening the first movie to be shown was LoA. in 70mm. WOW!  That was a viewing experience of a lifetime!!  I still watch it on tv but when you can view it in a majestic theater I highly recommend going.  You will be in awe. 

• Like 2

e834b971-60ef-44f2-8778-aef3335ef0f6_zps

Only the Lonely (1991) by Chris Columbus

At the end of the 1980s, John Candy had not just won over the movie going public but also many critcs (who had written him off as just another goofy sidekick) as he began to showcase his great talent as one of the most promising actors in the game were he would go on an write himself into film history with a sucessful string of classics such as Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987), Spaceballs (1987) and Uncle Buck (1989). 

But as the 80s closed in and the 90s were on it became clear that John Candy's name alone, was no longer a guarantee for success, as most of his talent, sadly were too often "wasted" in rather poor b-movies that were just no near the material he had grown used to by the fantastic collaboration between him and his good friend John Hughes.

Once Upon a Crime (1992), Wagons East! (1994), Delerious (1991) and Nothing But Trouble (1991) were all films that is worthy a watch if youre a fan of John Candy, but they all felt very "poor" or rushed in a way that many of them (specially Delerious) seemed more like a TV Movie than a big budget film aimed at a large audience, and even though John did a fine job as always, that alone could not make up for the weak plot and often very stupid characters. 

Cool Runnings (1993) and Canadian Bacon (1995) is a cut above, specially Cool Runnings which is fun, but for me the last good John Candy film came in the end of 1991 with Only the Lonely (after the Roy Orbison song) and was sadly to be the last Hughes/Candy collaboration. 

The plot is at times very similar to the 1955 classic Marty as John Candy stars as a lonely character who spends probably a bit too much time around his dominating (old time) rule stricted mom played by the great Maureen O'Hara along with his sleazy co-worker played by James Belushi. But when he begins to fall in love with the shy cosmetician at the local funeral home, Theresa Luna (Ally Sheedy) his life suddenly looks a bit more positive, sadly his mother is not all that keen on seeing her "little" irish boy ending up with the local sicilian girl, as the blossoming fairy tale begins to crack from the pressure of both friends and loved ones in this fine little comedy gem by Chris Columbus, and for once not written "only" produced by John Huges.

Once again it shows just how good John Candy can be when he finally gets his hands on a good script and it doesn't exactly hurt either that he shares the screen with a great cast including Maureen O'Hara, Anthony Quinn, Ally Sheedy, James Belushi and Kevin Dunn. 

Also fine music cuts by Roy Orbison, Van Morrison and Etta James.

Only the Lonely is a funny and at times romantic little gem that seems to have been a bit lost within all the early 90s romantic comedies, but it is well worth to check out for any fans of John Candy or those who just wants to sit down and catch a cozy little feel good flick in the cold winter time.

7/10

Edited by ArtieRollins

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 1:20 PM, Vincent Hanna said:

I was thinking of picking up the book but was put off by the length. Will have to check it out some time definitely. I do love how the story and aftermath is as pertinent now as it was 100 years ago.

There is another movie called "A Dangerous Man" which is Lawrence and Fisel at the Paris Peace Conference in 1919 and how they got screwed over royally by the British and French.

It stars Ralph Fines as Lawrence. Kind of like part II of LoA!

For those of you who like Sci-Fi and "TIME TRAVEL" movies I just saw a fabulous movie that was so good I finished and said to myself WTF!!! I watched it a second time the same night and then it hit me at the end.......What a storyline!!!

The movie is called "Predestination" It came out last year and did a good business at TIFF (that's where I heard about it on the radio) but I never saw it at the box office anywhere? Another fabulous movie under the radar to make room for Batman part 37 or Spiderman 53.......

I love time travel movies for the "Paradox" issues, you know...if you go back in time and kill your father will you ever exist? This movie is a real mind bender and will have you on the edge of your seat wondering what will happen next. You really have to pay attention as the story moves slowly but builds to a crescendo!

It's basically a story of a time traveler who moves through time to kill people before they can do despicable acts such as terrorist etc.

• 2 weeks later...

The Limey (1999)

"Bide your time and everything becomes clear, and you can act accordingly."

Steven Soderbergh put together probably one of his best films here with Terence Stamp giving the performance of a lifetime as a British ex-con named Wilson who travels to Los Angeles to investigate the supposed accidental death of his daughter. The investigation leads him to a shady record producer played wonderfully by Peter Fonda and his right-hand man played by Vanishing Point's Barry Newman. This film is very much a love letter to the crime film of the sixties and seventies with most of the main stars being actors who had pivotal film roles from that era including a great albeit short performance from Joe Dallesandro as a somewhat mentally impaired hitman plus cinematography and editing techniques very reminiscent of the John Boorman crime classic Point Blank (which Soderbergh himself provided commentary for on the Warner Bros. DVD for that film). The script itself also is very reminiscent of those films with a snappy feel to the dialogue (particularly in a scene where Wilson meets a DEA chief played by Bill Duke which feels straight out of a hardboiled classic) and some very solid and realistic action scenes especially a car chase between Stamp, Luis Guzman and Barry Newman along the same stretch of Mulholland that Robert Loggia's Mr. Eddy terrorized an obnoxious tailgater a few years before in David Lynch's Lost Highway. On top of that the soundtrack was pretty top notch with a score by now-Refn regular Cliff Martinez and some tunes by The Who, The Byrds and The Hollies. Overall a fantastic picture that shows Soderbergh's filmmaking talent more than any other and gave Stamp a signature performance to remember. 9/10.

• Like 1

I watched "A Million Ways to Die in the West" last night.

If you like Seth MacFarlane's animated shows and his particular sense of humor (which I really do), then you will find a lot to like about this movie. At times, it will seem to you like a live action Family Guy episode. It's got nearly all the slightly absurdist gags, pop culture references  and social commentary as "Family Guy", and you've also got some of the people who do voice overs on Family Guy in acting roles in the movie. Also, it's got some great scenic shots of the West, especially of Monument Valley, and they've employed the same kind of grand sounding orchestra as on Family Guy. They really didn't scrimp on the budget. Although some scenes were obviously done using CGI.

The film's only problem is that the story itself is weak, clichéd and predictable. Seth MacFarlane had decidedly less luck with that than on his shows or even in the first "Ted" movie. They tried to work in a few plot twists, but you never really have the feeling that you totally didn't see something coming.

So my verdict is - if you like Family Guy, you will like the movie enough to not be bothered about the thin story. But if you don't like Seth MacFarlane's trademark kind of humor, this movie might not be for you.

Edited by Daytona74

I LOVED Million ways to die...

I laughed my ass off! Seth is a hilarious and your correct, the story line was weak but VERY funny!

I also love the TED movies. I missed it at the theatre, but bought the "UNRATED" version on DVD and belly laughed all the way through it. I also waited for the unscensored version of TED 2 and it was also funny as heck!

Seth McFarland is a genious and a funny guy. I like all his movies and am a big fan of Family Guy. Very enjoyable movies all...

377cc8e2-901b-445c-bcf8-a68b5d68e769_zps

The 'Burbs (1989) by Joe Dante

"I've never seen that. I've never seen anybody drive their garbage down to the street and bang the hell out of it with a stick. I-I've never seen that."

In the idyllic and peaceful neighborhood of Mayfield Place, follows the story of familyman and suburban Ray Peterson (Tom Hanks) who's been planning on taking a well earned vacation along with his wife Carol (Carrie Fisher), but instead of a nice and relaxed week off by the family cottage, Ray decides to spend as much of his vacation as possible, letting his imagination get the better of him by involving himself a little too much with his new, next door neighbours, The Klopek's and their strange behaviors. 

And when the neighborhoods least favorite old man suddenly disappears, and without a trace, Ray decides that it has gone far enough. It is time to take action. And along with his mouthy, manipulating friend, Art Weingartner (Rick Ducommun) and the trigger happy, military veteran, Mark Rumsfield (Bruce Dern) they are prepared to go to war against the Klopek's family, with a mission to unveil for the whole world, what kind of horror and evil which lurks behind the walls inside their spooky old house.

"Listen to your wife? Who listens to their wife?" Art Weingartner

Mind your own business! 

Surely one of the funniest horror/thriller-comedies of the 80s, with its unique and hilarious take on what could happen, if you stick your nose a bit too far in other people's business, and were Tom Hanks delivers an all time great role, here as your everyday man, Ray Peterson and are backed up with an incredible and very talented group of actors such as Bruce Dern, Rick Ducommun, Carrie Fisher, Wendy Schaal, Henry Gibson, Brother Theodore, Courtney Gaines, Gale Gordon, Dick Miller and yeah, even Corey Feldman shines bright as the local "meatball" and the films observer, Ricky Butler: "God I love this movie."

The 'Burbs is one of those films that just keeps on getting better everytime I watch it, and I take notice of these small things that I may have overlooked earlier on, which make it even more hilarious.

Sure, Tom Hanks is the big main star, but the film comes up with so many different and highly memorable characters, that every one (even including the little dog Queenie, who loves to fertilize the Rumsfield's lawn) has its own little way of providing their unique quirks and behaviors. 

The movie is written by Dana Olsen and directed by Joe Dante who had earlier on perfected his b-movie skills through the school of Roger Corman with films such as Piranha (1978) and Rock 'n' Roll High School (1979) and went on to enjoy bigger success with hits such as The Howling (1981), Gremlins (1984) and Inner Space (1987). But somehow, at least how I see it, his finest hour came with The 'Burbs which always surprises me by how little attention there is about the film, and looking on some reviews/critics it seems like back when it hit theatres it got a rather mixed response, mostly negative. 

Anyway, who cares about that, not so lang ago, the film had somewhere between 5,6 or 5,7 on IMDb, so I guess it is one of those films that is not everyones favorite, but still, compared to Splash, Big, Turner & Hooch, and his romantic duds with Meg Ryan, Tom Hanks never quite topped the great comedic role of Mayfield Place suburbanite, Ray Peterson.

I give this fantastic movie "a nine on the tension scale, eh Rube."

9/10

Edited by ArtieRollins
  • Like 1

I love the whole build up part to where Ray is beginning to accept the fact that the Klopek's are more than just your ordinary weirdo family in the neighborhood and I always crack up when he sticks a short written note "Walter, I have your dog" along with his neighbors toupee into the mailslot. Then only to get Art and Mark Rumsfields note returned later on as one of the Klopek's throws it back to his lawn: Art - "He's a litter bug. You know it could be a candy bar wrapper,a credit card receipt, you know those things fly around. Ahhh...it's my note."

• 2 weeks later...