Movies you have seen recently

ArtieRollins

"Shivers" (1975)

Cronenberg shows his skills as an inventive auteur and the result is a superior horror film. It sort of reminds me of George Romero’s "Night of the Living Dead"

Shivers | Rotten Tomatoes

• Like 1

i took the opportunity i took an amazon prime membership for 3 months for an order to watch latest Mann Ferrari on prime video. the first 1h30 are pure biography. so a bit boring, as Enzo Ferrari didn't fight any predator during his life.. still interersting though. you see how cold blooded the man was, when leading a big industry. the last 30 minutes about the Mille miglias race is awesome though. lot of nice cars, and suspense. Adam Driver impressed me a bit in rogue one, and he confirms he's an amazing actor in Ferrari

the mille miglias is a defunct/semi defunct mythical european car race

19589961.jpg.a6cdf509679c29f7d4feeab3f12cebf6.jpg

i plan to go watch civil war, and the fall guy in the upcoming days

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 1

On 4/14/2024 at 5:53 AM, RedDragon86 said:

"Schindler’s List"

One of Spielberg’s more serious and better films.

Grade A rating.

Schindler's List (1993) - IMDb

A film that is guaranteed to make my wife and I shed tears.  Fantastic movie. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vicefan7777 said:

A film that is guaranteed to make my wife and I shed tears.  Fantastic movie. 

The scene with little girl in the red coat had me in tears.

"The Pianist" is another emotional ride.

The Pianist - Cedars Hall - Tickets

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

The scene with little girl in the red coat had me in tears.

"The Pianist" is another emotional ride.

The Pianist - Cedars Hall - Tickets

Thank you for posting - great.

• Like 2

I watched The Mean Season(1985) starrin Kurt Russel. Nothing special at the end for me. But of course it takes place Miami area so interesting watch from that point of view. 10/6 for me but just because I like thrillers. I am not really into Kurt Russels filmography but I guess I have some movies to watch because except Tango & Cash(1989), Tombstone(1993) and Death Proof(2007) im not familiar with his work.

Tombstone(1993) was the best among those.

As I saw with John Carpenter they have some collaborations through the 80s but to be honest I am not significantly interested in those (action is not my fav genre) and thanks to his marriage with Goldie Hawn they starred together in 2joints as well in the 80s.

Executive Decision(1996) and Unlawful Entry(1992) look interesting. So they might follow on my watchlist.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kalci said:

I watched The Mean Season(1985) starrin Kurt Russel. Nothing special at the end for me. But of course it takes place Miami area so interesting watch from that point of view. 10/6 for me but just because I like thrillers. I am not really into Kurt Russels filmography but I guess I have some movies to watch because except Tango & Cash(1989), Tombstone(1993) and Death Proof(2007) im not familiar with his work.

As I saw with John Carpenter they have some collaborations through the 80s but to be honest I am not significantly interested in those (action is not my fav genre) and thanks to his marriage with Goldie Hawn they starred together in 2joints as well in the 80s.

Executive Decision(1996) and Unlawful Entry(1992) look interesting. So they might follow on my watchlist.

With Kurt Russell, add Breakdown - another thriller I liked. And of course Overboard, an 80s comedy classic!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have watched Unlawful Entry(1992) with Kurt Russel, Ray Liotta, Madeleine Stowe. That is quite solid thriller I should say. I really liked it. 10/7 for me easily. Recommended cinema, for those who prefer thrillers over any other genre.

unlawful_entry.jpg

Edited by Kalci
  • Like 1

On 4/23/2024 at 6:22 PM, Paul Veres said:

With Kurt Russell, add Breakdown - another thriller I liked. And of course Overboard, an 80s comedy classic!

Watched Breakdown(1997). Though I found the ending behavior highly unlikely, and not referring to the action part at the end (I don't want to go into spoilers) I found that the decisions the main/protagonist/ characters making are unlikely given what they had to go through earlier. So it is a 10/6 for me. A really don't like how the wife character evolved through the tribulations and behaves in the last 10-15min of the movie, so I would say that is a bad character developement and not by the actress rather from the writer.  I really like JT Walsh in it, he always great in these kind of roles. Actually whatever he was starring in I like his work. Kurt Russel also good in it.

Watched Executive Decision(1996) a couple of days earlier too. Not my thing so to say, BUT I would evaluate that a somewhat better feature film alltogether. Slightly better. Of course not compareable budget wise, nor story wise.

I will continue watching Kurt Russel movies but among these 3,  Unlawful Entry(1992) was the best IMO.

Edited by Kalci
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Kalci said:

Watched Breakdown(1997). Though I found the ending highly unlikely, and not referring to the action part at the end (I don't want to go into spoilers) I found that the decisions the main/protagonist/ characters making are highly unlikely given what they had to go through earlier. So it is a 10/6 for me. A really don't like how the wife character evolved through the tribulations and behaves in the last 10-15min of the movie, so I would say that is a bad character developement and not by the actress rather from the writer. I really like JT Walsh in it, he always great in these kind of roles. Actually whatever he was starring in I like his work. Kurt Russel also good in it.

Watched Executive Decision(1996) a couple of days earlier too. Not my thing so to say, BUT I would evaluate that a somewhat better feature film alltogether. Slightly better. Of course not compareable budget wise, nor story wise.

I will continue watching Kurt Russel movies but among these 3,  Unlawful Entry(1992) was the best IMO.

I'll need to rewatch Breakdown to properly process your view, and I certainly need to watch Executive Decision and Unlawful Entry!

vor 9 Stunden schrieb Paul Veres:

I'll need to rewatch Breakdown to properly process your view, and I certainly need to watch Executive Decision and Unlawful Entry!

The best thing about Executive decision is that Steven Seagal was killed off in the first third of the movie :)

Honestly, it´s exciting until the end with many unexpected turns, with some MV guest stars (Oliver Platt, John Leguizamo). John mentioned in a recent interview that Seagal was the worst person he ever worked with, including physical threats at the set.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tom said:

The best thing about Executive decision is that Steven Seagal was killed off in the first third of the movie :)

Honestly, it´s exciting until the end with many unexpected turns, with some MV guest stars (Oliver Platt, John Leguizamo). John mentioned in a recent interview that Seagal was the worst person he ever worked with, including physical threats at the set.

Oh it's that one, yeah I remember watching it and getting surprised they killed off Seagal that quickly. Though not a fan either. My best memory about his film career is that there was a stripper with great boobs jumping out of a huge cake in some of his better earlier movie.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2024 at 12:12 PM, Kalci said:

I don't know how I missed that originally as you actually mentioned Carpeneter, and even though it's more a horror than a thriller, but The Thing (1982) is an absolute must-watch IMO, unless you're really not into that kind of movie. It's a classic with great soundtrack and some very memorable lines. There was even a game made 20 years later which apparently was pretty good in delivering the scary suspense of the movie.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tom said:

Yeah I really liked that part when Seagal was disappered from the movie. Unexpected and gave excitement as well for me too. One of the kinda big name starring actor is being killed that early showed that producers are brave so other unexpected things can happen later also. Yeah quite exciting movie to watch through, just not my genre. But actors are good in it, I think direction and script was also spot on.

Seagal movies : yeah they are most of the times are on level with Chuck Norris straight to Home TV feature films but the really early ones are watchable especially if someone likes 80s aesthetics and some funnier action scenes. At least the aesthetics are there :D

- Nico is not that bad with Sharon Stone I believe that came out in 1988.

- Hard to Kill - 1990 - Kelly LeBrock is the main reason I had to watch it :D

-Mark of Death - there is a good chase in it. But a strong 10/5 :D  maybe in its on genre 10/6 I am not really into these :D

Actually the Score is fantastic and love this scene where Seagal wore the RB Shooter shades !

@Paul Veres I am going to watch The Thing(1982) and Big Trouble in Little China(1986)

Edited by Kalci
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Kalci said:

Yeah I really liked that part when Seagal was disappered from the movie. Unexpected and gave excitement as well for me too. One of the kinda big name starring actor is being killed that early showed to producers and the plot is brave so other unexpected things can happen later also. Yeah quite exciting movie to watch through, just not my genre. But actors are good in it, I think direction and script was also spot on.

Seagal movies : yeah they are most of the times are on level with Chuck Norris straight to Home TV feature films but the really early ones are watchable especially if someone likes 80s aesthetics and some funnier action scenes. At least the aesthetics are there :D

-Mark of Death - there is a good chase in it. But a strong 10/5 :D  maybe in its on genre 10/6 I am not really into these :D

Actually the Score is fantastic and love this scene where Seagal wore the RB Shooter shades !

@Paul Veres I am going to watch The Thing(1982) and Big Trouble in Little China(1986)

Chuck Norris movies were usually pretty good, I don’t care what format (theater, TV, home video, etc…)! But, he’s also a much more intelligent and honest person, with integrity. :thumbsup:

I don’t know all the details, but from what I understand Steven Seagal had created a past and other career “achievements” that turned out to be fake & lies. He’s also known for being a hot-head, and prone to physical violence in real life…not just on screen. :o

He had some good movies back in the 80s/early 90s. But, that was about it. I don’t think he has much respect from Hollywood or the martial arts “community” anymore…and trying to compare Seagal to Chuck Norris is an insult to humanity, lol! ;) :p

22 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Chuck Norris movies were usually pretty good, I don’t care what format (theater, TV, home video, etc…)! But, he’s also a much more intelligent and honest person, with integrity. :thumbsup:

I don’t know all the details, but from what I understand Steven Seagal had created a past and other career “achievements” that turned out to be fake & lies. He’s also known for being a hot-head, and prone to physical violence in real life…not just on screen. :o

He had some good movies back in the 80s/early 90s. But, that was about it. I don’t think he has much respect from Hollywood or the martial arts “community” anymore…and trying to compare Seagal to Chuck Norris is an insult to humanity, lol! ;) :p

Chuck Norris was able to starr in 10/2 movies just like Seagal and was famous for action scenes where he beats the shit out of the opponents, that is why I compared to him. I don't remember Chuck starring/as main character/ ever in good movies, but I remember how bad was the Walker - Texas Ranger series :D

For example this. It is one of the trashest movie(Forest Warrior - 1996) I have ever seen even if it was produced for children. Scenes like grabbing the chainsaw and it stops are just insane :D

Forest_Warrior.JPG

Edited by Kalci
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Kalci said:

Yeah I really liked that part when Seagal was disappered from the movie. Unexpected and gave excitement as well for me too. One of the kinda big name starring actor is being killed that early showed that producers are brave so other unexpected things can happen later also. Yeah quite exciting movie to watch through, just not my genre. But actors are good in it, I think direction and script was also spot on.

Above the Law is probably his best. I am convinced that the character Kurt Zagon is based on Maynard. 

Out for Justice is decent as well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

Above the Law is probably his best. I am convinced that the character Kurt Zagon is based on Maynard. 

Out for Justice is decent as well.

Above the Law, Hard to Kill, and Out for Justice were all pretty good. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Kalci said:

Chuck Norris was able to starr in 10/2 movies just like Seagal and was famous for action scenes where he beats the shit out of the opponents, that is why I compared to him. I don't remember Chuck starring/as main character/ ever in good movies, but I remember how bad was the Walker - Texas Ranger series :D

For example this. It is one of the trashest movie(Forest Warrior - 1996) I have ever seen even if it was produced for children. Scenes like grabbing the chainsaw and it stops are just insane :D

Forest_Warrior.JPG

Sorry…loved “Walker”! :clap: Not all of Chuck Norris movies were epic Academy Award ones, by any means. :p They weren’t supposed to be. Yes, they were action, martial arts based...and some were better than others. The “Missing In Action” movies were good! :thumbsup: 

• Like 1