Movies you have seen recently

ArtieRollins

I edited this piece off the movie Sliver.

Alert : If you haven't seen the movie yet, do not watch beyond 3minute because the last 40sec contains important aspects(SPOILERS) of the story.

Lot of ppl were complaining about this movie, but for me just watching Sharon Stone in a movie like this worth the time to waste :D

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kalci said:

I edited this piece off the movie Sliver.

Alert : If you haven't seen the movie yet, do not watch beyond 3minute because the last 40sec contains important aspects(SPOILERS) of the story.

Lot of ppl were complaining about this movie, but for me just watching Sharon Stone in a movie like this worth the time to waste :D

I remember Sliver! I watched it once when it first came out on video & I rented it (back then still VHS) from my town’s video rental store, lol!

From what I remember it was somewhat bizarre, but I watched it because of Sharon Stone…back then she was kind of the “it” girl with being the sexy woman in wild thrillers, lol. :p

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

The quintessential Christmas movie and one of my favorites action flicks of all time (up there with Lethal Weapon). Currently showing on theaters where i live for the xmas holiday.

By the way, I've always wondered how the John McClain character would fit in the MV universe, should he ever end up in MIami :)...

Edited by sdiegolo78
  • Like 6

On 12/16/2023 at 5:22 PM, ViceFanMan said:

I remember Sliver! I watched it once when it first came out on video & I rented it (back then still VHS) from my town’s video rental store, lol!

From what I remember it was somewhat bizarre, but I watched it because of Sharon Stone…back then she was kind of the “it” girl with being the sexy woman in wild thrillers, lol. :p

That was a good era for erotic thrillers: Sharon Stone in Basic Instinct ; Jane March in Color Of The Night and last, but definitely not least, Nicole Eggert In Blown Away (wow!)

• Like 1

On 9/5/2023 at 5:21 PM, ViceFanMan said:

Who has seen Michael Mann’s Thief…and what do you think of it?

I just watched it on the heels of Mann's 1980s movies mentioned in this awesome Miami Vice documentary and I loved it. The grainy early 1980s kind of footage of the meticulously built out frames is already a cool vibe to me. The way Frank is principled about his modus operandi calls for respect, or as much of it as we can give to a criminal.

As Frank kicked out his confused wife before going on a payback rampage, I couldn't help but think of De Niro's character leaving his woman in the car at the end of Heat. In fact his "30 seconds" speech is reminiscent of Frank's "I don’t care about nothing" speech. Even though they might sound to be opposite first, they arrive at the same self preservation outcome in dire circumstances.

What also caught my eye - and I'm sure it's part of Mann's control over visuals he became famous for - are some really nice outfits. I'll call out this monochrome beige look, from shoes to shades, which Frank sported on the roof when discussing the job with his new mob uncle. 

vlcsnap-2023-12-23-21h53m15s040.thumb.png.2cd7c7770c6341db4e86b9fdd093ba8b.png

vlcsnap-2023-12-23-21h53m34s499.thumb.png.05365f4feea1d91a693f476281979e30.png

vlcsnap-2023-12-23-21h54m17s332.thumb.png.d0523ee2b77b7388123372cd661261a7.png

Just love this kind of freckled shirts, don't see such designs much these days. 

While we're at it, here's a somewhat similarly patterned jacket from Manhunter:

vlcsnap-2023-12-27-12h22m44s679.thumb.png.91de9d3e8c1c5b5df2a341854caa1ab1.png

And a similarly patterned shirt on Defoe's character in To Live and Die in LA!

vlcsnap-2023-12-27-17h15m27s429.thumb.png.c61f5a2f242874905393d80c58bfc66c.png

• Like 3

i just discovered a movie about Duran had been made. So i gave it a try. And frankly is a very cool movie. i learnt lot of things i didn't know about. for example i didn't know his childhood years were so tough

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2023 at 10:21 PM, Paul Veres said:

I just watched it on the heels of Mann's 1980s movies mentioned in this awesome Miami Vice documentary and I loved it. The grainy early 1980s kind of footage of the meticulously built out frames is already a cool vibe to me. The way Frank is principled about his modus operandi calls for respect, or as much of it as we can give to a criminal.

As Frank kicked out his confused wife before going on a payback rampage, I couldn't help but think of De Niro's character leaving his woman in the car at the end of Heat. In fact his "30 seconds" speech is reminiscent of Frank's "I don’t care about nothing" speech. Even though they might sound to be opposite first, they arrive at the same self preservation outcome in dire circumstances.

What also caught my eye - and I'm sure it's part of Mann's control over visuals he became famous for - are some really nice outfits. I'll call out this monochrome beige look, from shoes to shades, which Frank sported on the roof when discussing the job with his new mob uncle. 

And a similarly patterned shirt on Defoe's character in To Live and Die

I wanna watch it for the second time soon. Such a masterpiece and the soundtrack is awesome. I downloaded it from the torrent site.

• Like 1

Watched this action classic (one of my favorite of all time) last week at end of xmas holiday season.

This is underrated as xmas movie.Although clearly set days before xmas, people usually just think of Home alone, die hard and trading places as classic festive season movies.
I'm going to watch it again (possibly the longer director's cut version) before next xmas, as well as die hard of course :)

• Like 3

On 12/27/2023 at 2:21 PM, Paul Veres said:

And a similarly patterned shirt on Defoe's character in To Live and Die in LA!

vlcsnap-2023-12-27-17h15m27s429.thumb.png.c61f5a2f242874905393d80c58bfc66c.png

It took Michael Mann weeks to find the right Hawaiian shirt for James Belushi's character.

His attention to detail is incredible. In Manhunter he had to let the set designer go because he didn't like the way he was creating Francis Dolarhyde's living room. Michael basically designed it all himself.

No wonder the seasons 1&2 look so great on they eye, every specific background and colour schemes/designs were perfectly blended.

The pink house with the correct colour car in "No Exit" is a perfect example. The opposite of that would be during the Arc where the yellow Porsche stick out like a sore thumb, just doesn't look right

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

IMG_4002.jpeg.5f04a5f774247bb3f2e2e3082202be33.jpeg

Tonight I decided to watch one of my favorite classic, adventure films: River of No Return (1954), with superstars Robert Mitchum & Marilyn Monroe…co-starring Tommy Rettig & Rory Calhoun. I hadn’t seen it in years, and I recently acquired a Blu-ray.

Set in 1875 in the northwestern United States, a widowed farmer is reunited with his young son, after being in prison…for shooting a man. However, it was to help save the life of a friend. Along the way, they encounter a saloon-girl singer in a gold camp. Together they all end up abandoned & left for dead in the northwest wilderness, by a deceitful & treacherous gambler.

Fighting for survival, they end up heading down a raging river of deadly rapids on a rickety raft…and along their perilous journey they encounter multiple attacks by blood-thirsty Indians, vicious mountain lions, greedy gold-villains who were desperate for survival themselves & didn’t care who they hurt or killed, starvation, freezing waters & nights, and the rugged & unknown terrain of the mountains.

However, not all is bad…along the way we get to see & hear the immortal Marilyn =)—with her saloon dresses & captivating songs, to her willingness to stand up & fight with Mitchum for survival…and ultimately making life-altering decisions for love! ;)

This, Don’t Bother To Knock (1952), and Niagara (1953) are probably my favorite Marilyn movies…they really show a more serious acting ability & side to her, which she so desperately wanted. Sadly, Hollywood chose to mainly try and make her into a ditzy, sex-pot airhead for the majority of her roles.

So, for a wild, action-filled, exhilarating film…take a ride down the ‘River of No Return’! 

IMG_4010.jpeg

IMG_3999.jpeg

IMG_4011.jpeg

IMG_4003.jpeg

IMG_4004.jpeg

IMG_4008.jpeg

IMG_4007.jpeg

IMG_4006.jpeg

IMG_4005.jpeg

IMG_4001.jpeg

IMG_4009.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 4

great Marilyn movie agreed. that woman was victim of her body. everybody saw her as a doll while i'm sure she has lot of quality as a person

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jpaul1 said:

great Marilyn movie agreed. that woman was victim of her body. everybody saw her as a doll while i'm sure she has lot of quality as a person

She was actually very “deep” and intelligent. She wanted so desperately to be, and to be regarded as, a serious actress & person. But, she was sadly abused & taken advantage of, from her childhood on to Hollywood…and eventually by a certain political family (which ultimately helped “finish” her off). 

• Like 1

Watched a Hammer Film called Scream of Fear (1961).  In this film a wheelchair bound woman returns to her father's estate after 10 years, and although she is told he's away, she keeps seeing his dead body on the estate.  This was an enjoyable mystery.  The lead character cannot convinced anyone in the estate what she sees is real.  Her father's body disappears every time someone comes to investigate. She finally convinces one of the household staff to help her.  The character who I thought was the villain turned out to be a hero. The final ten minutes has many twists that surprised me. If you are fan of the Hammer Studios I recommend watching this murder mystery.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2024 at 4:18 PM, Vicefan7777 said:

Watched a Hammer Film called Scream of Fear (1961).  In this film a wheelchair bound woman returns to her father's estate after 10 years, and although she is told he's away, she keeps seeing his dead body on the estate.  This was an enjoyable mystery.  The lead character cannot convinced anyone in the estate what she sees is real.  Her father's body disappears every time someone comes to investigate. She finally convinces one of the household staff to help her.  The character who I thought was the villain turned out to be a hero. The final ten minutes has many twists that surprised me. If you are fan of the Hammer Studios I recommend watching this murder mystery.

Okay…I‘ve not seen this one before, so I found & purchased a Blu-ray off eBay, and it’s on the way! :dance2: Looking forward to it! :thumbsup: 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2024 at 4:18 PM, Vicefan7777 said:

On 1/25/2024 at 8:59 PM, ViceFanMan said:

Okay…I‘ve not seen this one before, so I found & purchased a Blu-ray off eBay, and it’s on the way! :dance2: Looking forward to it! :thumbsup: 

@Vicefan7777 My Blu-ray of this, that I’d ordered off eBay, arrived a couple days ago. I watched it tonight, and it was awesome! :clap: Lots of creepy suspense, and captivating plot twists…did not totally see the end coming—I love movies that can still do that with me! ;)

Thanks for the recommendation…definitely one I loved adding to my continuing/growing collection! :thumbsup:

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ViceFanMan said:

@Vicefan7777 My Blu-ray of this, that I’d ordered off eBay, arrived a couple days ago. I watched it tonight, and it was awesome! :clap: Lots of creepy suspense, and captivating plot twists…did not totally see the end coming—I love movies that can still do that with me! ;)

Thanks for the recommendation…definitely one I loved added to my continuing/growing collection! :thumbsup:

Glad you enjoyed it.  I too love a mystery that catches me off guard. 

• Like 1

The Professionals (1966)

The Professionals (1966)

Great western with an all-star cast that sparkle and make the action sequences forceful. It’s one of Richard Brooks more eloquent and witty films.

A-

Available on Netflix :thumbsup:

• Like 3

On 2/7/2024 at 5:56 AM, RedDragon86 said:

The Professionals (1966)

The Professionals (1966)

Great western with an all-star cast that sparkle and make the action sequences forceful. It’s one of Richard Brooks more eloquent and witty films.

A-

I have never heard of this film.  You have me very interested.  I love a good western.  Got to check this out.  

• Like 2

Recently watched the epic film from 1965 Doctor Zhivago.  This for me is a grand romance movie.  Besides an intriguing story, I would recommend watching for the cinematography.  The sweeping landscape of Russia as shown is absolutely beautiful.  This film was a winner of 5 Oscars and deserved them all.  This is a long 3 and 1/2 hour movie that captivated me the first time I watched it when I was a teenager and still has my full attention. 

EB19950407REVIEWS504070303AR.jpg

• Like 3

On 2/7/2024 at 5:56 AM, RedDragon86 said:

The Professionals (1966)

The Professionals (1966)

A-

Just finished watching this film.. I must say I was very entertained.  I love finding films that I have never watched before and have my attention throughout. When I saw Woody Strode was one of the cast members I immediately was reminded of another western he was in.  The film is Sergeant Rutledge.  He portrays a respected cavalry sergeant who is accused of rape and murder of a white woman. Actor Jeffery Hunter is his commander who has to defend him in a court marshal.  This is an incredible courtroom drama.  Well paced.  Terrific acting,  Highly recommended. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vicefan7777 said:

Just finished watching this film.. I must say I was very entertained.  I love finding films that I have never watched before and have my attention throughout. When I saw Woody Strode was one of the cast members I immediately was reminded of another western he was in.  The film is Sergeant Rutledge.  He portrays a respected cavalry sergeant who is accused of rape and murder of a white woman. Actor Jeffery Hunter is his commander who has to defend him in a court marshal.  This is an incredible courtroom drama.  Well paced.  Terrific acting,  Highly recommended. 

I am glad you enjoyed it :thumbsup:

I loved Woody in Spartacus and Keoma but in this in particular I enjoyed Burt Lancaster's performance the most and Jack Palance surprisingly gives a very good Mexican accent.

Watch French Connection II | Disney+

John Frankenheimer’s (“The Manchurian Candidate”) version matches Friedkin’s original, armed with an excellent script by Laura and Robert Dillon that has a lot of depth and offers a more challenging characterization of the flawed Popeye Doyle urban, bigot character played so superbly by Gene Hackman in both versions.

Grade A rating.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

Watch French Connection II | Disney+

John Frankenheimer’s (“The Manchurian Candidate”) version matches Friedkin’s original, armed with an excellent script by Laura and Robert Dillon that has a lot of depth and offers a more challenging characterization of the flawed Popeye Doyle urban, bigot character played so superbly by Gene Hackman in both versions.

Grade A rating.

Nice, I just watched The French Connection and The Conversation for the first time, loved both! Might have to check this one out soon too.

• Like 2

IMG_4074.jpeg.27b15d38ac6dd2db69ff422e2d771ef6.jpeg

I’ve recently heard about & acquired a bizarre, but interesting movie called Bunny Lake Is Missing (1965). It wasn’t that popular when it was first released, but over the years & decades it’s now considered & become a cult-classic!

It was a British-American psychological thriller, directed by Otto Preminger. It stars Carol Lynley as Ann Lake—a single young mother desperately searching for her missing 4-year-old daughter Bunny, after moving to London…along with her brother. She goes to pick her up from a pre-school, and there’s no sign of her. Plus, the school’s staff doesn’t remember ever seeing the girl!

More strange and telling events occur as suddenly when the cop in charge of the case (played by veteran actor Laurence Olivier) discovers that none of the young child’s clothes or personal items are in Ann’s flat…they’ve disappeared! ?( 

But, then it’s discovered that Ann had an imaginary playmate as a child named “Bunny”. Hardly any trace of this little girl can be found…yet both Ann and her brother swear she exists & someone has taken her.

Does Bunny Lake really exist…or is she the fragment of imagination, from the twisted & tormented mind of Ann? Is the preschool in on the disappearance…or are they in the “London fog” like the rest of us? :radar:

Filmed mostly in London, the locations and cinematography are superb, and definitely add to the creepy & odd plot & atmosphere! The plot twists themselves were intriguing and kept you captivated until the finale. Also, the English 60s rock band “The Zombies” have a strange cameo a couple times…which really helped add a cool-creepy vibe! :radio:

And the end is wild…very disturbing but in a fascinating way! Very “dark”, especially for the time this film was made…because this was the 60s, some aspects could not be directly shown on screen. But, that’s okay….we don’t need to see the “details”, as what is shown & portrayed leaves you no trouble reading between the proverbial “inappropriate” lines! :eek: 

This was a delightful, out-there, creepy, suspenseful thriller. Stellar performances by everyone, and I love a movie that uses actual acting & locations (instead of lots of CGI type special effects) to make my skin crawl. :clap: The Powerhouse/Indicator Blu-ray, with lots of cool & interesting special features, is superb! :thumbsup:

IMG_4068.jpeg

IMG_4069.jpeg

IMG_4073.jpeg

IMG_4070.jpeg

IMG_4071.jpeg

IMG_4075.jpeg

IMG_4072.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 3