Movies you have seen recently

ArtieRollins

13 hours ago, johnnyfarragut said:

TRON-524035754-large.jpg.e20c14a768efe0c1539352a14d53faf7.jpg

This movie I watched countless times when I was a kid. I've been checking some bits and pieces on YT.

One of the first movies to use CGI effects. Holds up pretty well, considering it's from 1982.

The story's alright and it's built around real computer science stuff. So, good sci-fi for me.

I watched the sequel back when but I don't remember much of it. 

Fantastic movie and the Jeff Bridges 2010 reboot.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

i was bored yesterday, and i discovered Ran. it's a pretty good movie about war, destruction, and its consequences on human species

009700.jpg

• Like 3

Swallows and amazons: the coot club: a great movie. it's a kind of Tom Sawyer, but in England. i enjoyed it so much that i decided to go for the book

swallows-and-amazons-forever-coot-club.w

right now i'm watching Mc Cinsey treasure with Hulk Hogan, and at this point i'm really enjoying that little movie like we say here. Hulk is doing well, and the caribbean ambient music is cool (kinda treasure of monkey island for those who know it)

Honeyview_nLzOQkZyxP.thumb.jpg.70fa806ea5adc23d3eabb404be9ac7d3.jpg

been watching also High road to China with Selleck, and Armstrong. and even if there's no treasure in a lost jungle inca temple, the staging is good, and so does the acting

%22High-Road-to-China-(1983)%22-Poster-P

this afternoon i've been watching the treasure of the amazon, and it's a rough movie. who flirts with the horror movie. it's a bunch of rough adventurers, who roam a rough forest, populated with rough indians, and rough crabs who love human flesh lol

• Like 1

Watched this for the first time  when i was five y.o. I was terrified of bikers  because of this movie! Toecutter ... :)

Mad_Max-823349058-large.jpg

10 hours ago, johnnyfarragut said:

Watched this for the first time  when i was five y.o. I was terrified of bikers  because of this movie! Toecutter ... :)

Great film! it's like a cross between a spaghetti western and clockwork orange.

Did you know the actor that played Toecutter is the main antagonist in the new Mad Max: Fury Road?

image.jpeg

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

Great film! it's like a cross between a spaghetti western and clockwork orange.

Did you know the actor that played Toecutter is the main antagonist in the new Mad Max: Fury Road?

image.jpeg

I googled him the other day and read about that, I had no idea.

He died a few years ago ;(

• Like 1

11 hours ago, johnnyfarragut said:

I saw it when it came to the U.S. market at my home town's Drive-In in 1980.  Loved the opening chase scene.  Never realized it at the time but the Aussie accents were dubbed because the U.S. distributor was worried the audience would not understand the Aussie lingo. 

• Like 2

Budget was low, so some scenes were poorly shot and some were not well put together in my opinion, BUT this film is likeable and loveable. 

I like Mickey a lot and always loved his personality on and off screen. He always acted the way he felt about things even if that harmed his carreer in Hollywood.  This was shot before his botox era (which was his biggest mistake IMO) so his face here is totally organic. 

Movie was shot in 1994 and released only in 1996.

if someone could provide me a link to this movie in 1080p that would be cool because I have the intention to cut this movie a little bit /one of my many passions˛/

Edited by Kalci
  • Like 1

On 6/4/2023 at 5:57 PM, johnnyfarragut said:

for me the greatest car chases ever. never seen anything that comes close to it on that level. the night rider chase, or the gorilla run are epic. not even talking about the gang tracking down. the only thing with that film it's that it has aged quite badly. i mean the main plot, a brutal, and violent revenge (even if over violent bad guys) looks totally outdated for me, now that i have become an adult. when i was younger i used to see these as something super cool. but the movie has to be seen at least once just for the car chases. I think this is the movie who made Mel Gibson

the guy who plays the gorilla is Mel Gibson buddy Steve Bisley. they did the casting together. and were both chosen

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 3

This one's better than the original in some respects: they ditch the melodrama and focus on action-packed sequences. Dialogue is very sparse. It's almost a silent movie.

It's surprising the influence on aesthetics this movie had. Lots of movies and music videos imitated those ragged costumes and bleak landscapes.

457438.thumb.jpg.7fe9212b3b069d72338a4762ad08626d.jpg

Edited by johnnyfarragut
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

You know I am a car enthusiast so this movie is for me in that sense :D

Te movie itself was a disappointment for me because the cast is wonderful. But the screenwriting at times is very bad...

Anyway I like Mickey Rourke, Mimi Rogers in this. Kelly I think had to play a character which was badly written. 

Editing at some times are horrible. Ending is weak as hell.

Anthony Hopkins is great as always.

Main cars are very well selected and love all that is featured in this movie.

I edited this clip :

• Like 1

Back on Friday, 6/30, a friend of mine from church & myself did a guy’s night out, and went and saw the new Indiana Jones: Dial of Destiny movie...as his wife & child stayed home just in case there were melting faces, hearts being ripped out, and eyeball soup again. :p 

Seriously though, I was fairly apprehensive and/or worried what they would do with it & how they would end it. But, I have to say I was very pleased & really enjoyed it—including many awesome odes, past characters, & proverbial “Easter eggs” from the other films! :thumbsup: 

I will not divulge any plot details or the ending, as it’s still in theaters & many may not have seen it yet. But, I will say I thought the ending was “perfect”, and the perfect way to retire (no Han Solo crap-ending here ;)) the character! :clap: So, if you’re an IJ fan, I definitely recommend seeing it! :dance2: 

94CCCC3A-C358-40B6-B755-20D075815F5F.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/4/2023 at 4:15 PM, ViceFanMan said:

Back on Friday, 6/30, a friend of mine from church & myself did a guy’s night out, and went and saw the new Indiana Jones: Dial of Destiny movie...as his wife & child stayed home just in case there were melting faces, hearts being ripped out, and eyeball soup again. :p 

Seriously though, I was fairly apprehensive and/or worried what they would do with it & how they would end it. But, I have to say I was very pleased & really enjoyed it—including many awesome odes, past characters, & proverbial “Easter eggs” from the other films! :thumbsup: 

I will not divulge any plot details or the ending, as it’s still in theaters & many may not have seen it yet. But, I will say I thought the ending was “perfect”, and the perfect way to retire (no Han Solo crap-ending here ;)) the character! :clap: So, if you’re an IJ fan, I definitely recommend seeing it! :dance2: 

94CCCC3A-C358-40B6-B755-20D075815F5F.jpeg

Great thank you for the great review. I saw this fine new movie also with my church group in the Florida Keys at Marathon 5 complex and give it 10/10. Just excellent for a fantastic actor Harrison Ford. I recommend fully — I get a little fed up seeing the negativity (reviews) around this film and how it’s underperforming at the box office.

The first two Indiana Jones movies ( “Raiders” and “Temple of Doom” were some of the best movies ever made.

10/10

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

Great thank you for the great review. I saw this fine new movie also with my church group in the Florida Keys at Marathon 5 complex and give it 10/10. Just excellent for a fantastic actor Harrison Ford. I recommend fully — I get a little fed up seeing the negativity (reviews) around this film and how it’s underperforming at the box office.

The first two Indiana Jones movies ( “Raiders” and “Temple of Doom” were some of the best movies ever made.

10/10

Couldn’t agree more...awesome movie! :clap: I don’t understand the negative reviews & so-called box office info?? ?( Other than sadly nowadays, critics & people seem to love & get-off trying to destroy, tear down, and ruin things & others...rather than try and build them up and/or support them. :o 

But, I foresee this movie being one of those that garners respect & fandom over time...one that will be known as a great film that originally did poorly money-wise when it was first released.

Some majorly popular & famous movies now didn’t necessarily do that great, nor were that popular, when they first hit theaters. Shawshank Redemption is one example. It wasn't until it first was available for video rental, that fans started realizing what an amazing movie it truly is.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

Couldn’t agree more...awesome movie! :clap: I don’t understand the negative reviews & so-called box office info?? ?( Other than sadly nowadays, critics & people seem to love & get-off trying to destroy, tear down, and ruin things & others...rather than try and build them up and/or support them. :o 

But, I foresee this movie being one of those that garners respect & fandom over time...one that will be known as a great film that originally did poorly money-wise when it was first released.

Some majorly popular & famous movies now didn’t necessarily do that great, nor were that popular, when they first hit theaters. Shawshank Redemption is one example. It wasn't until it first was available for video rental, that fans started realizing what an amazing movie it truly is.  

Very true , thank you for your support. 
I give the new Indiana Jones film 10/10.

Keep going Mr Ford 10\10

• Like 1

John Wick IV. A touch long, perhaps, but it's better than John Wick III and has lots of easter eggs and such linking it to other movies (like the DJ...shades of The Warriors). And maybe just a touch of Blind Fury as well.

14 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Very true , thank you for your support. 
I give the new Indiana Jones film 10/10.

Keep going Mr Ford 10\10

He's said this is his last IJ movie, and I totally understand (stunts are not as fun at 81, than when you were 41). ;) But, I hope to see him in many more films to come! :thumbsup: As for Dial of Destiny, as with the others, it's definitely one I'll get when it's released to physical (real) media! :dance2:

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

He's said this is his last IJ movie

He's been saying that since he made part 2! He's still good for at least another one.

• Like 1

Izzy wanted to remake this movie ... That must count as a felony, because it's a masterpiece.

91uYs0zE8nL._AC_UF8941000_QL80_.thumb.jpg.a666a97db8c6a86c56352f5c9e97207f.jpg

" I'm doing a remake of Red River with the original dialogue intact. Howard Hawks didn't want to have the Duke die, but that's how it goes".

Edited by johnnyfarragut
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, johnnyfarragut said:

He's been saying that since he made part 2! He's still good for at least another one.

Once the popularity of Raiders took off, I think he agreed to do 2 more to make the IJ trilogy. However I don’t think he really planned on doing any more. Crystal Skull was cool that he did agree to do another one, but it was a disaster, so I was pleasantly surprised he agreed to do this one! But, the man is 81, and he injured himself quite a bit while filming Dial of Destiny.

Time will tell, but he’s pretty emphatically stated this is his last IJ movie. If they do make any more films, he perhaps could have a cameo appearance or something, but I think the films would be about spinoff characters & their adventures—which of course would not be as popular.

Or...not to give too much away about “Dial’s” plot, but they could do total CGI IJ movies about other past adventures (say from the 1930s or 40s) that supposedly haven’t been told yet. There’s been several articles that have talked about the unbelievable realistic CGI “young” Indiana at the very beginning of “Dial” (as the beginning goes back to WWII to give the backstory of the plot, so it can then go to current time—1969). I agree...you can’t tell it’s CGI—you swear it’s Harrison Ford from the 1980s!

Same was done a few years ago with Star Wars: Rogue One...you swear Carrie Fisher & Peter Cushing were not only back from the dead, but back to how they looked in 1977 for the first movie!

Edited by ViceFanMan

This is asking about a movie I’ve actually not seen before...it’s a more modern noir (usually referred to as a neo-noir) from 1990. It was a Dennis Hopper film starring (Crockett) Don Johnson, Virginia Madsen, and Jennifer Connelly called The Hot Spot. Has anyone seen it before, and if so what do they think? 37C28294-40AD-40BC-8233-23FA97E66371.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

This is asking about a movie I’ve actually not seen before...it’s a more modern noir (usually referred to as a neo-noir) from 1990. It was a Dennis Hopper film starring (Crockett) Don Johnson, Virginia Madsen, and Jennifer Connelly called The Hot Spot. Has anyone seen it before, and if so what do they think? 37C28294-40AD-40BC-8233-23FA97E66371.jpeg

It's watchable. DJ is perfect in the role of an amoral drifter. The rest of the cast is great too, specially Virginia Madsen.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, johnnyfarragut said:

It's watchable. DJ is perfect in the role of an amoral drifter. The rest of the cast is great too, specially Virginia Madsen.

Thanks! :thumbsup: Not sure “watchable” warrants me taking the time & money to acquire it, but I’ll see. ;)

• Like 2