Movies you have seen recently

ArtieRollins

I was in one of those child like moods.  So I watched four Disney films that starred one of my favorite actors--Kurt Russell.  the first three were films about the fictional college Medfield.  Russell plays a student who along with his friends helps the college win money with crazy inventions.  The films---The Computer Wore Tennis Shoes (1969), Now You See Him, Now You Don't (1972) and The Strongest Man in The World (1975).  The final film was The Barefoot Executive (1971).  This one is about a chimp that can pick all the tv shows that will have the highest ratings.  I remember watching these films with my family on Sunday nights,, when Disney had a weekly program.  For all the members who have children or grandchildren I highly recommend these for some family time. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had mentioned Kurt Russell being in Disney films.  I revisited another Russell film.  But this time he is not a fun Disney character. In the film  In The Deadly Tower (1975) Russell portrays real life sniper Charles Whitman who in 1966 became the first person to climb a tower and with an arsenal of weapons and began killing people.  This is a very well made for tv film.  When police officers finally made their way up the tower the suspense is really intense as they slowly circle around seeking the shooter.  Doing research on what happened that day I found some inaccuracies in the film.  But as is written at the beginning of the film these were done for dramatic effect. 

• Like 2

After hearing about the passing of Olivia Newton John today, my wife and I re watched the classic high school musical GREASE (1978).  This is a terrific film that I saw in the theater when it first came out. Olivia had such an angelic voice and many hit songs.  To quote John Travolta, "Every guy wanted her to be their girlfriend". Even I had a crush on Olivia.  RIP lovely lady.

• Like 3

Last night I watched the 1957 crime-noir The Brothers Rico, starring Richard Conte, Dianne Foster, James Darren, Kathryn Grant, Larry Gates, and Harry Bellaver. Amazing, “gritty” performances by all...a very tragic & “raw” noir about a family caught up in the destructive & deadly consequences of being associated with the syndicate/mob. Superbly done, and greatly enjoyed it! The film is on Blu-ray as part of Indicator/Powerhouse Films’ Columbia Noir set #4 (FYI: these Columbia Noir sets are from the UK and region B...but all you need is a region free Blu-ray player). The Blu-ray is awesomely restored quality, and definitely worth viewing! :clap: :thumbsup: 

3D534BC4-852F-4666-B8C7-4F3906A79C79.jpeg

FECDE552-88D2-4282-9B35-954BB669B1C3.jpeg

8CD65169-7A72-4A67-A57E-9D96C71FF9C6.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It’s not technically fall yet...but I’ve sort of started with watching some movies that might garner a “horror” or “scare” genre. However, the movie I’m going to mention is more scary than horror in my opinion...as to me it’s much more realistic than say the wild antics of Friday the 13th, or Nightmare On Elm Street (which I love & have both, as well ;)). 

But, recently I acquired a special edition Blu-ray of the 1979 thriller When A Stranger Calls. It’s pretty cool, as the packaging cover is purposely styled like the original VHS. But, what’s cooler (in my opinion) is I also still have an original VHS—that still plays very well, and I dug it out from my store room (ultimately watching both, different nights). My basement family room is my vintage/retro viewing area...an old cone-butt TV still set up in the old entertainment center, with a DVD/VCR combo machine still hooked up, and a 70s brown floral couch to sit on & enjoy, lol! :p Blu-ray player and smart TV are upstairs in the living room. 

Anyway, the first 15-20 mins (I didn’t actually time it, so I’m guessing on the amount of time) are some of the creepiest & scariest moments I’ve seen! This film is of course based off the famous urban legend of the babysitter being stalked & tormented over the phone...then the guy eventually comes after her, as he was there the whole time. However, this movie continues the “story” years later, and created its own tale of terror & mental derangement. 

But, I remember the days of land lines (I actually still have one in my house, as I have a vintage 1945 Western Electric phone that’s been re-wired to plug into modern phone jacks hooked up to it), and being able to call your own number—which made the line call back and ring & someone else on another extension could answer & you could talk to them without them knowing it was coming from inside the same house. I used to prank my mom that way...she didn’t find it funny. ;) As an adult & watching this movie, I understand why! 

Again, it’s not wild, bizarre effects like a lot of scary movies...but it’s very disturbing & effective in a realistic way! The babysitter, played by Carol Kane, is perfect as your normal girl-next-door that is babysitting for a doctor and his wife. The phone calls, what is said, “how” it’s said, and the whole situation is just downright terrifying & makes your skin crawl! :eek: 

Tony Beckley does a masterful job of playing the mentally disturbed stalker/killer...his performance could give anyone nightmares! Veteran actor Charles Durning played the cop/detective hunting Beckley’s character down.

FYI, 14 years later in 1993 Carol Kane & Charles Durning reunited to reprise their roles in a sequel movie When A Stranger Calls Back—which is equally suspenseful & terrifying, but in a whole new way! I also have that on original VHS & Blu-ray. Also, When A Stranger Calls was remade around 2006. 

But, there’s something about this original 1979 version that seems more “real” and scary to me...for those who enjoy more realistic in situation & what could happen type scare-flicks, rather than gore fests or wild special effects...I recommend this one! 

6323808E-A821-47FF-8CCA-CD97048F4D62.jpeg.c753497ce1d377a8abbb8af3c7c8048c.jpeg

“Have you checked the children?”

Here’s some other pics & stills—captions included: 

BF2F26B2-00AF-472C-A794-17C420487F65.thumb.jpeg.b1a16f647ca1c7b62ac933dc22f685cb.jpeg

Original theatrical poster

AA6974CD-9467-46C1-B658-3921063CFE8B.thumb.jpeg.6f097995e56a220b14e5e8383cfe7a94.jpeg

The Blu-ray cover...styled to look like the original VHS cover did, including making it look like a VHS tape is sticking out. 

BE8D5C19-810F-4E7B-8043-9C089110D100.jpeg.8c0437674e6afcd65fdd30b5e4eb6d3c.jpeg

Carol Kane...towards the beginning, as she begins to get the bizarre phone calls. “Have you checked the children?” 

78B00A94-E614-475C-876D-1C5648DAC826.jpeg.c62b8914026591a5bbb256738592c694.jpeg

A terrifying moment, towards the end! 

AF27D594-DF98-4DC5-BAAD-BBF94F3CC21A.thumb.jpeg.8cf688bf913d5bd15d897c3ad0e8af2e.jpeg

Another scene of Tony Beckley as the psycho!

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

It’s not technically fall yet...but I’ve sort of started with watching some movies that might garner a “horror” or “scare” genre. However, the movie I’m going to mention is more scary than horror in my opinion...as to me it’s much more realistic than say the wild antics of Friday the 13th, or Nightmare On Elm Street (which I love & have both, as well ;)). 

But, recently I acquired a special edition Blu-ray of the 1979 thriller When A Stranger Calls. It’s pretty cool, as the packaging cover is purposely styled like the original VHS. But, what’s cooler (in my opinion) is I also still have an original VHS—that still plays very well, and I dug it out from my store room (ultimately watching both, different nights). My basement family room is my vintage/retro viewing area...an old cone-butt TV still set up in the old entertainment center, with a DVD/VCR combo machine still hooked up, and a 70s brown floral couch to sit on & enjoy, lol! :p Blu-ray player and smart TV are upstairs in the living room. 

Anyway, the first 15-20 mins (I didn’t actually time it, so I’m guessing on the amount of time) are some of the creepiest & scariest moments I’ve seen! This film is of course based off the famous urban legend of the babysitter being stalked & tormented over the phone...then the guy eventually comes after her, as he was there the whole time. However, this movie continues the “story” years later, and created its own tale of terror & mental derangement. 

But, I remember the days of land lines (I actually still have one in my house, as I have a vintage 1945 Western Electric phone that’s been re-wired to plug into modern phone jacks hooked up to it), and being able to call your own number—which made the line call back and ring & someone else on another extension could answer & you could talk to them without them knowing it was coming from inside the same house. I used to prank my mom that way...she didn’t find it funny. ;) As an adult & watching this movie, I understand why! 

Again, it’s not wild, bizarre effects like a lot of scary movies...but it’s very disturbing & effective in a realistic way! The babysitter, played by Carol Kane, is perfect as your normal girl-next-door that is babysitting for a doctor and his wife. The phone calls, what is said, “how” it’s said, and the whole situation is just downright terrifying & makes your skin crawl! :eek: 

Tony Beckley does a masterful job of playing the mentally disturbed stalker/killer...his performance could give anyone nightmares! Veteran actor Charles Durning played the cop/detective hunting Beckley’s character down.

FYI, 14 years later in 1993 Carol Kane & Charles Durning reunited to reprise their roles in a sequel movie When A Stranger Calls Back—which is equally suspenseful & terrifying, but in a whole new way! I also have that on original VHS & Blu-ray. Also, When A Stranger Calls was remade around 2006. 

But, there’s something about this original 1979 version that seems more “real” and scary to me...for those who enjoy more realistic in situation & what could happen type scare-flicks, rather than gore fests or wild special effects...I recommend this one! 

6323808E-A821-47FF-8CCA-CD97048F4D62.jpeg.c753497ce1d377a8abbb8af3c7c8048c.jpeg

“Have you checked the children?”

Here’s some other pics & stills—captions included: 

BF2F26B2-00AF-472C-A794-17C420487F65.thumb.jpeg.b1a16f647ca1c7b62ac933dc22f685cb.jpeg

Original theatrical poster

AA6974CD-9467-46C1-B658-3921063CFE8B.thumb.jpeg.6f097995e56a220b14e5e8383cfe7a94.jpeg

The Blu-ray cover...styled to look like the original VHS cover did, including making it look like a VHS tape is sticking out. 

BE8D5C19-810F-4E7B-8043-9C089110D100.jpeg.8c0437674e6afcd65fdd30b5e4eb6d3c.jpeg

Carol Kane...towards the beginning, as she begins to get the bizarre phone calls. “Have you checked the children?” 

78B00A94-E614-475C-876D-1C5648DAC826.jpeg.c62b8914026591a5bbb256738592c694.jpeg

A terrifying moment, towards the end! 

AF27D594-DF98-4DC5-BAAD-BBF94F3CC21A.thumb.jpeg.8cf688bf913d5bd15d897c3ad0e8af2e.jpeg

Another scene of Tony Beckley as the psycho!

I fondly remember this film scaring me.  The calls are coming from inside the house!!  Freaky and enjoyable.  I have not seen the sequel and you made me curious so I will have to hunt it down for when my wife and I go on a horror movie binge in October. 

• Like 1

"Event Horizon" 1997.

See the source image

Would have been a good film but Richard T. Jones who played Cooper ruined the experience with his corny comic relief, which was not needed at any point in the movie. We get drawn into disturbing moments then out of blue this guy goofs around like Will Smith in "Independence Day"

6/10 but could have been an 8 without that clown.

Edited by RedDragon86

5 hours ago, Vicefan7777 said:

I fondly remember this film scaring me.  The calls are coming from inside the house!!  Freaky and enjoyable.  I have not seen the sequel and you made me curious so I will have to hunt it down for when my wife and I go on a horror movie binge in October. 

Yeah, the sequel is pretty cool! How they tie in the original...yet coming up with an all new original idea for a psycho/stalker—it’s a very underrated thriller! I don’t want to say too much about it, because in my opinion it’s worth seeing the first time not knowing much about it...as I think you’ll be shocked. ;) When A Stranger Calls Back (1993)...with Carol Kane & Charles Durning reprising their roles, and also starring Jill Schoelen. You can find it on DVD & Blu-ray, and it’s not expensive by any means. 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

FYI...this may be a long review. :p Many times a big, epic studio-backed film (including horror ones) are fun to see, but sometimes it’s the older B, low budget films that are truly enjoyable for a variety of reasons...and have since garnered a huge cult following & have become “classics” in their own right!

When it comes to horror/scare flicks, of course most think of Halloween (1978), and I’ll post about it later this fall season. But, last night I watched another very low budget B film that in the past 30 years or so has become very popular: Carnival of Souls (1962). 

It was made by Lawrence, Kansas industrial film maker Herk Harvey & his Centron Corporation film crew. He had taken a vacation to Salt Lake City, Utah and was driving back to Kansas..when one early evening, in the twilight, he saw the hulking mass of the old abandoned Saltair Pavilion & Amusement Park. He suddenly knew he had to do a script that revolved around it. Harvey got co-worker John Clifford to screen-write the movie, got together some other Centron crew, and thus was born “Carnival”! 

The eerie & foreboding atmosphere, organ music, cinematography, and even the bizarre look of The Man & the ghouls/dead people are very creepy & effective. Although the acting was not exactly Academy Award material (Candace Hilligoss was the only officially trained actress) ;), the somewhat naive & low-key demeanor of the Kansas residents (as the movie is set in both Kansas & eventually Utah) is very realistic to me...as I’m from small town Midwest & especially back when this movie was made (unlike today), low-key was sought after & considered peaceful.

But, the abandoned Saltair Pavilion & Amusement Park, that used to be outside of Salt Lake City, Utah, was the perfect foreboding, freaky location—it’s almost a main “character” in itself! Sadly, it has long since been demolished, and not much is left out there today.

But, the bizarre plot kind of captivates you & draws you in...poor Mary Henry & her friends are goaded into drag racing a car of boys, trying to show off. They enter onto an old rickety bridge & the girl’s car accidentally crashes through one of the old railings & plummets into the deep & swirling Kansas river. (Sidenote: Herk Harvey got permission from the Kansas county to crash the old car off the bridge & into the river...with the understanding he would have the car removed from the river when done filming & he would pay to have the bridge railing repaired. He did this, and when he got the bridge railing repair bill...it was all of $12, lol! I’m sure today the city & county would charge ten times that amount just to get some money out of it. ;))

But...just when law enforcement and the towns people are thinking the car is lost in the current and will never be found, suddenly Mary is climbing out of the water covered in mud but unhurt. She eventually gets a job at a church in Salt Lake City, Utah playing the organ (creepy organ music is used throughout the film & is very effective), and leaves Kansas.

However, her new life is anything but bliss or peaceful...as she’s continually tormented & stalked by a ghastly apparition—known only as ‘The Man’. She’s also obsessed with & uncontrollably drawn to the old abandoned lakeside pavilion on the edge of town, but doesn’t know why?

I don’t want to give too much away, but it’s definitely a disturbing & “dark” tale of life, death...and in between! The makeup & “look” of The Man & fellow ghouls is definitely frightening (especially when they grin) :eek:...and I don’t know how true this is, but I’ve read before that another industrial film maker that wanted to get into making actual movies, George Romero, got some of the idea for his zombies in his 1968 cult classic Night of the Living Dead, from the ghouls in this film.

Carnival of Souls was never a commercially successful film...as the distribution company Herk Harvey used (Hertz-Lion) was fraudulent & crooks. Sadly almost all money was taken by that company & the distribution was basically being part of a double feature at drive-ins. Theatrical releases also cut the film down from its original director’s 84 mins to only 78 mins.

But, after it started being shown on late night TV in the 80s, it started getting recognition from new fans...popularity grew and in 1989 they actually had a reunion of the cast, writer, and Herk Harvey himself (who for budgetary reasons actually played The Man). Sadly, he passed away in 1996. But, in 1989 the film was preserved, re-released to theaters & art houses, and eventually marketed to VHS. 

Then enter the digital age...in 2000 the Criterion Collection released a special 2-disc DVD set of “Carnival”! It included the original theatrical 78min version—and the newly discovered 84min director’s cut! Plus multiple special features (including the 1989 reunion) are included. Criterion again released the film in 2016, this time on Blu-ray. However, for whatever reason the Blu-ray only includes the 78 min theatrical version—but the digitally remastered quality & info/trivia booklet make it worth it as well. The film was also colorized & put out on DVD by another company around 2005...but the quality isn’t as good as Criterion. I think the movie is more effective in its original B&W anyway. 

But, if you enjoy B, somewhat unknown, low budget films that used guerrilla-type special effects...yet definitely got the effect across, then I’d recommend this film! Some pics below: 

DCD0DCC1-6779-454B-B694-C3155C5C3788.jpeg

474B1133-7AA1-4221-86FE-DA756BF63B51.png

11C6869C-AA8A-4751-B74D-9CFA098F3446.jpeg

561EB0F0-A307-4E2B-90D8-C3DDE8440EDF.jpeg

8366C198-890D-4B3A-A0AD-E45A99C2D993.jpeg

20EDBC4A-5A86-48F6-AF31-636E2BFF410E.jpeg

FA8A64F7-D112-45F8-8AD9-0EFE57A8E078.jpeg

2E093078-68B8-4B37-BC18-DB5052D99080.jpeg

F0B5C44F-E0ED-4DB9-9648-BA2C5C735244.jpeg

4428529F-6DD7-40AB-A951-69F101C64D2B.jpeg

ACB71E64-F429-4D5C-AE1F-7F78BF415A81.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

Carnival of Souls has some very unnerving moments to remind one of the subsequent creative work of the esteemed filmmakers Romero and David Lynch.

The way its shot is like in the style of German expressionism.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tommy Vercetti said:

Here's Alex Cox introducing Carnval of Souls on Moviedrome on BBC 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG2wAVeyybI

He likes the film. I'm afraid I wasn't a fan of it though.

Very cool intro...and it again confirms George Romero using some of the same makeup effects for the zombies in his film! 

I’m sorry you didn’t care for the movie...it’s pretty out-there & bizarre, along with some “rough edges”—as Alex said in that opening. But, for me that’s part of what I like...part of the film’s charm & even effectiveness. But, to each his or her own! :thumbsup:

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ViceFanMan said:

Very cool intro...and it again confirms George Romero using some of the same makeup effects for the zombies in his film! 

I’m sorry you didn’t care for the movie...it’s pretty out-there & bizarre, along with some “rough edges”—as Alex said in that opening. But, for me that’s part of what I like...part of the film’s charm & even effectiveness. But, to each his or her own! :thumbsup:

Glad you like the intro. The film is very out there and bizarre. I can admire what Hervey was able to achieve with such a small budget and the imagery and the mood and atmosphere. It is intriguing in that regard. 

I noticed earlier this thread you also said you liked Detour. Now that's a film I like. It's a truly great film noir. It's one of the best film noirs ever infact. 
Alex introduced Detour on Moviedrome too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrPWoXx8VM8

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Tommy Vercetti said:

Glad you like the intro. The film is very out there and bizarre. I can admire what Hervey was able to achieve with such a small budget and the imagery and the mood and atmosphere. It is intriguing in that regard. 

I noticed earlier this thread you also said you liked Detour. Now that's a film I like. It's a truly great film noir. It's one of the best film noirs ever infact. 
Alex introduced Detour on Moviedrome too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrPWoXx8VM8

Yes...Detour is also a perfect example of a low budget B film, later being recognized for how amazing it actually is, for little they had to work with! Love and have it as well (as noir is one of my favorite genres or styles of movies)...as with Carnival of Souls, the Criterion Collection Special Edition Blu-ray of Detour is superb! 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

FYI...this may be a long review. :p Many times a big, epic studio-backed film (including horror ones) are fun to see, but sometimes it’s the older B, low budget films that are truly enjoyable for a variety of reasons...and have since garnered a huge cult following & have become “classics” in their own right!

When it comes to horror/scare flicks, of course most think of Halloween (1978), and I’ll post about it later this fall season. But, last night I watched another very low budget B film that in the past 30 years or so has become very popular: Carnival of Souls (1962). 

Thanks for recommending this film.  I have not seen it but it will be on my to watch list.  Looking forward to watching a bizarre film. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Vicefan7777 said:

Thanks for recommending this film.  I have not seen it but it will be on my to watch list.  Looking forward to watching a bizarre film. 

It is somewhat bizarre, lol...but for an independent, low budget film, it is eerie & rather effective, in my opinion. 

I think it was made for only around $30,000. $17,000 if it was raised by Herk Harvey & other Centron people (Centron being the educational & industrial film company in Lawrence, Kansas where Harvey was director for decades). The remaining money was put up by other businesses in & around the Lawrence area. 

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

Going along with my previous post above, on Carnival of Souls...here are some pics below of the 1989 cast & crew reunion in Lawrence, Kansas—to commemorate the film’s re-release to art houses & theaters, as well as the original Lecompton bridge location.

The old bridge in the movie was pretty rickety even by then...and heavy trucks & school buses were no longer allowed to cross, as it was deemed unsafe. Not long after this movie was filmed a new bridge was constructed near the original bridge location...and by 1969 the old bridge was torn out. However, some old concrete supports are still visible. Captions are with these pics:

676DC65F-D6CA-4CDA-A3D7-16369048F060.jpeg.83f5b861ad86e6e57eeb44d2b8e36e7a.jpeg

1989 reunion of Carnival of Souls cast & crew, in Lawrence, Kansas—creator & director Herk Harvey in his makeup for fun, as he himself played The Man. Also included was main star actress Candace Hilligoss, writerJohn Clifford, and other cast/crew involved. This was to commemorate the film being re-discovered & re-released to theaters—as well as VHS. Sadly, I believe Candace may be the only one still alive today.

FD015356-653F-4CE6-8C4C-ECD7377FD153.thumb.jpeg.a906550b62e089bb751c2e2e3166f2c1.jpeg

This is a B&W still I found online, of Herk Harvey & Candace Hilligoss returning to the original Lecompton Bridge location, near Lawrence, Kansas—part of the 1989 reunion.

AE12DF6D-372C-4955-AC69-7A1F7D7F5512.jpeg.680bee76d0efc54910284be98b84b1d0.jpeg

This color photo, and the B&W one below, are of Herk Harvey without his ‘Man/Ghoul’ makeup, and in more recent times before he sadly passed away from cancer in 1996.

74C3516B-825A-497D-BB31-57056E4C2267.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

Okay, ViceFanMan and Tommy, I'll trade you a Carnival for a Carnival.  This one is NOT scary--this is just suspenseful.  
Man on a Tightrope.

It's a difficult story to get a fair and untainted examination.  The director is Elia Kazan, and there's a lot of sad bitter backstory about what had happened in Hollywood a few years before this movie came out, and what Elia Kazan had done during that time, and theories about WHY this movie was made, and what the director may be looking inside himself to try to say to fellow Hollywood people around him, and oh Jeez the discussion about that can go on and on.  
I try my best to watch a movie in its own merit, just in its own little time period, cuz if a movie is personally felt as too bloody, or too violent, or too sexually heavy, it's so easy for us to get moral and prudish and low-score the movie because of our private comfort levels---and that's not being fair to what could be a really good film.  

But Man on a Tightrope can be watched WITHOUT thinking about who the director is.  And then, you can do some digging into the "Hollywood and Ilia Kazan" issue another day, consider the theories about what this film is trying to do for Elia, and watch it again WITH the theories going on in your mind.  It would be like watching two separate movies.  
It's semi Film Nior.  It's got famed Gloria Graham in there to prove it.  Elia Kazan put together a combo of actors/actresses you wouldn't expect to go together (as usual with his films, but as usual the combo works).  I won't tell you a thing about the story, except that this Carnie troupe is scraping the bottom of their luck, and it can't continue for them anymore. 

You've never seen a Carnival try to pull off a slight of hand like this before, and after the tension of the last 10 minutes is over, you nearly want to break out some tears.  

7 hours ago, Augusta said:

Okay, ViceFanMan and Tommy, I'll trade you a Carnival for a Carnival.  This one is NOT scary--this is just suspenseful.  
Man on a Tightrope.

It's a difficult story to get a fair and untainted examination.  The director is Elia Kazan, and there's a lot of sad bitter backstory about what had happened in Hollywood a few years before this movie came out, and what Elia Kazan had done during that time, and theories about WHY this movie was made, and what the director may be looking inside himself to try to say to fellow Hollywood people around him, and oh Jeez the discussion about that can go on and on.  
I try my best to watch a movie in its own merit, just in its own little time period, cuz if a movie is personally felt as too bloody, or too violent, or too sexually heavy, it's so easy for us to get moral and prudish and low-score the movie because of our private comfort levels---and that's not being fair to what could be a really good film.  

But Man on a Tightrope can be watched WITHOUT thinking about who the director is.  And then, you can do some digging into the "Hollywood and Ilia Kazan" issue another day, consider the theories about what this film is trying to do for Elia, and watch it again WITH the theories going on in your mind.  It would be like watching two separate movies.  
It's semi Film Nior.  It's got famed Gloria Graham in there to prove it.  Elia Kazan put together a combo of actors/actresses you wouldn't expect to go together (as usual with his films, but as usual the combo works).  I won't tell you a thing about the story, except that this Carnie troupe is scraping the bottom of their luck, and it can't continue for them anymore. 

You've never seen a Carnival try to pull off a slight of hand like this before, and after the tension of the last 10 minutes is over, you nearly want to break out some tears.  

I’ve not seen this one before...might have to check it out sometime. I don’t necessarily watch a movie with the director in mind, although some directors are known for good film. But, I usually check out what the plot or storyline is first, and then maybe who’s in it. 

I also always try to watch a movie looking for the positives & it’s true purpose. Even if the characters do or say things I don’t like or agree with...sometimes I can still understand or relate to them, sometimes I am sorry for or disgusted at them, etc...but, if a movie can draw you in & keep your attention & imagination then it can still be a very good film! For example, Silence of the Lambs has a little bit of EVERYTHING, and it can even be  “uncomfortable”...but it’s an amazing, superb movie! 

However, some films are created solely for the purpose of gore, or violence, or sex & perversion, etc... I don’t usually care for those movies, as there’s usually not much “substance” or depth, they sometimes can even insult our intelligence :p, and yes...sometimes they can even be immoral enough that I don’t care to watch it.

But, usually if a movie has a good plot, good acting, good cinematography, and there’s a true message I can enjoy it—even if there’s some of the other aspects. ;)

On 9/5/2022 at 8:03 PM, RedDragon86 said:

"The Innocents" 1961.

Great horror also.

I have actually not seen this one before, but have always meant to! I think the Criterion Collection also has a Blu-ray and/or DVD of it available as well...I may have to get that soon! :dance2:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

With this pic below, need I say more? Watching the 60th Anniversary uncut Blu-ray...superb film & one of my all-time favorite movies! :clap: 

D4AD7F0C-E235-4A21-992C-9516C2E555C7.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

To celebrate the 1st of October & the time of year for spooks, I watched my all-time favorite scary movie—HALLOWEEN (1978), while drinking a Sam Adams Octoberfest! :cheers: There’s a personal reason/terrifying incident that happened to me during the very first time I ever watched this film that will forever cement this as my favorite...but there are multiple other aspects, as well. 

I’ve said this before in past years, but one of my favorite things about this movie is it’s pure & beautiful...simplicity! There’s no real wild or bizarre special effects, strange or gothic locations, or not even that much blood or gore. It’s small town, Midwest life in the late 70s as they get ready to celebrate Halloween. Little & younger kids trick-or-treating; teens doing stupid stuff with parties, drinking, pot, and sex; and the adults having their own parties & get-togethers.

But, what they don’t realize or bother to pay attention to—because they’re so caught up in their own lives & take what’s thought to be small town safety for granted, is that evil is all around them! It’s so smack-dab right in front of them, they don’t even see it. Personifying evil in the form of ‘Michael Myers’ (although there are sadly many different evil people & predators in society) was very creepily, terrifyingly, and very effectively done! :thumbsup:

This aspect is very realistic to me...I grew up in small town Midwest, and back in the 70s & 80s it was very much like how Haddonfield is portrayed in the movie. Back then everyone thought everything would be just fine all the time...they didn’t have to worry about anyone or anything—but, it wasn’t always that way. The characters, plot, and locations were just beautifully done, and the realistic simple-ness actually helps “make” the movie! :clap: 

I have many home video versions of this film...starting back with the 1995 re-issue VHS put out by Blockbuster (as before that only the original 1981 issue VHS was the one available & getting harder to find by 95), the first DVD from 1999, the 25th anniversary edition DVD from 2003 (which has the most & best special/bonus features, in my opinion)...and I’ve now acquired the new 3-disc Collector’s Edition set put out by Scream Factory! 

Disc 1 is an all new 4K Ultra UHD, Disc 2 is the all new 4K scan Blu-ray, and Disc 3 is an HD Blu-ray with the original color timing! I don’t have a 4K TV nor a 4K player...but I got the set for Discs 2 & 3, as the 4K scan for the Blu-ray is all new & better than previous versions. I also want to compare it to Disc 3...with the original color timing. 

I have to say, this new 4K scan Blu-ray is SUPERB!! :clap: The picture quality, depth, sound, and colors are amazing!! I’m very pleased with the results. I’ve also since acquired the new Scream Factory Collector’s Edition UHD & Blu-ray sets of Halloween II, Halloween 4: Return of Michael Myers, and Halloween 5: Revenge of Michael Myers. I can’t wait to watch those 4K Blu-rays! The rest of the original “Halloween” movies will be released in this format/edition by Scream Factory soon. 

The new reboot “Halloween” movie trilogy comes to an end on October 14th, with Halloween Ends (following Halloween-2018 & Halloween Kills-2021) being released to theaters. But, I’ve not been as impressed with the new movies...the original movies will always be the best, in my opinion. ;)

A cool new reunion, of sorts, from the original 78 movie is that recently director John Carpenter was reunited with the actual Ford station wagon used in the film, lol! The 1978 Ford LTD Station Wagon used as the Smith’s Grove Sanitarium vehicle in the movie, that Michael steals & heads to Haddonfield in, was a rental. After filming it was returned to the rental agency. A few years later it was sold off, and the person who bought it used it for several years & then it ultimately ended up in a barn for decades.

Recently the owner had it completely restored, once he realized what he had...and Carpenter got to have a freaky reunion with Michael’s “party wagon”! :p Pictures with captions below...of the new Scream Factory Collectors Edition Blu-ray set, and of John Carpenter’s reunion with the original Ford wagon: 

6C9BA0E1-AB46-46F3-BE47-FC88F1ED382A.thumb.jpeg.78aca5953c00025b69c36b9e761c2ac3.jpeg

All new Scream Factory 4K Collector’s Edition UHD & Blu-ray set!

CE1085DE-1BE2-4694-BFE8-2E927D8D26DF.thumb.jpeg.70475d8c9c414ebeddf64a23d7e97de9.jpeg

A scene-clip from the film (from IMCDb) of the 1978 Ford LTD Station Wagon (Michael Myers is watching Laurie Strode sitting in her high school literature class). 

F70CD286-EF11-493A-AC19-662A8B64C76E.thumb.jpeg.4876383b1e6b1e93a552ee2d3a836836.jpeg

New 2022 “reunion” of director John Carpenter sitting in the newly restored actual 1978 Ford LTD Station Wagon used in the movie! 

44BC8982-DBDF-46EC-A67E-87A44C2EE4AA.jpeg.1f366f15f9427c4b67abb52848dbb8a0.jpeg

Another photo of John Carpenter recently reuniting with the actual 1978 Ford Station Wagon he used in Halloween

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1