Movies you have seen recently

ArtieRollins

Another Willem Dafoe movie, Light Sleeper (1992) written Paul Schrader (Taxi Driver). They originally were going to use Bob Dylan on the soundtrack free of charge as the director and him are friends but couldn't come to an agreement on which songs to use. Instead someone suggested Michael Been from The Call. It's slow, absorbing and I liked it but wanted to like it more.

• Like 1

Another classic movie night for my wife and I.  From 1942 the outrageous comedy/thriller Arsenic and Old Lace.  My favorite film actor Cary Grant portrays a man who just got married on Halloween.  He and his new bride go to meet Grant's two aunts.  These sweet old ladies are actually serial killers who with the help of a man who thinks he is Teddy Roosevelt then buries the victims in their cellar.  There are numerous famous actors of that era who make an appearance including Peter Lorre and Raymond Massey who have their own body to try and hide.  Very funny film.  

• Like 2

gone watch TG Maverick this afternoon. And it's a very good action movie. the aerial scenes are really very good. the presence of Val Kilmer is the icing on cake. the plot that includes the son of goose is good also. the movie is not, how could i say an exceptional one on an artistic level, but it's a very, very good movie. doing better than the one was hard, but if it isn't better it's at least as good

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Watched a very good movie from 2019. It's titled Sound of Metal

A young man is a drummer in a punk band and he suddenly loses his hearing. He's forced to change his life and fears he may lose the woman he loves. He goes through quite a journey and I found it hard to look away. Highly recommended.

image.thumb.jpeg.2c877f9ad417008f7a5aaf17fe6f502c.jpeg

• Like 2

I’ve probably posted about this film before, as it’s one of my all time favorite movies...but in my opinion when it comes to home video for films, Criterion Collection is gold—about as top-shelf as you can get. I recently acquired the brand new 4K digitally restored Criterion Collection Special Edition 2-Disc Blu-ray of the 1944 classic: DOUBLE INDEMNITY! With all the special features & info/trivia booklet included...It’s superb!! :glossy:

From the perfectly hard-boiled dialogue, the fascinatingly diabolically wicked femme fatale played by Barbara Stanwyck, the darkly intriguing but tragic & destructive choices by the characters, and as the back of the CC Blu-ray says—“the seductively sordid 1940s Los Angeles”...this is THE quintessential Film Noir!! :thumbsup:

When depressed but slick insurance salesman Walter Neff (played by Fred MacMurray) walks into the swank Hollywood Hills home of sexually dissatisfied housewife Phyllis Dietrichson (played by Barbara Stanwyck), he initially intends to renew some automobile policies. But, he instead finds himself falling for her sinister seduction...and ends up entangled in a deadly web of sex, lies, and ultimately murder! :blind: 

From an amazing supporting role by Edward G. Robinson, superb performances by everyone, a masterpiece of a script by Billy Wilder & Raymond Chandler, perfection-direction from Wilder as well—to some of the best and most fascinating & famous, “deliciously-dark” cinematography in movie history by John F. Seitz...Double Indemnity is one of the most captivating & entertaining, perverse tales ever told on the silver-screen...and the standard by which all noir must be measured! :funky: 

F9515016-47BC-4056-97FC-A994CFDADD7F.png.5f49592be7279a4a77e1eec724a932ce.png

A 1944 theatrical release poster of the film. 

A4583AFD-295F-4C1B-8FF6-4D3213A5AFB7.thumb.jpeg.c6093243285a8194370c52192685c666.jpeg

The 2022 Criterion Collection Special Edition Blu-ray cover.

81E1C430-92C9-4168-BEFA-E7973BEFDF3A.thumb.jpeg.6f2c64d2031c8e048729e82603507a61.jpeg

A more recent, artistic poster of the movie.

CBC8C23F-B154-4A99-ACDA-979F733300E9.thumb.jpeg.86590aa74a37ca229c62af7a57f557cc.jpeg

The Dietrichson mansion in the movie: 1944.

676C9895-6760-4E71-8975-09A88B439A26.thumb.png.3aa6f32e55e38c4fcb6b682ebaa59b85.png

A more recent photo of the Hollywood Hills mansion used as the Dietrichson house in the movie: around 2014. 

E890F97F-F3B0-4D30-8AFD-037F2AE6866D.jpeg

E8A3F144-9273-4D6B-B9FA-1974A9D8776F.jpeg

849D7C8D-8069-4991-B8DE-E435A247DE17.thumb.jpeg.b27bd39ba38bb5972506a1bf81f2fd7e.jpeg

If you look closely you can see that Walter’s cigarette is blood-soaked...as he took it from his pocket & attempted to light it. But, although blood is thicker than water, Neff was still all washed-up. 

762F3903-060D-4BDC-9668-D0F52201338F.jpeg

887F4E93-8D97-40A3-B0B8-D963154E6365.jpeg

584783A8-FFB4-43F8-A49D-A7D6EFA0762F.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 4

:rauchen:

Wow, Top Gun, Arsenic, and Double-I...!

Around 1999, circumstances caused me to get really interested (I mean REALLY, REALLY interested) in combat aircraft, and inevitably interested in aerial fighting itself using jets or prop planes.  I learned alot about pushing away the mystique of air ace jockeys, and got steeped in the reality of ACM, the math of it, the aerodynamics of it, the weaponry of it, and oh the wretched vulgar mouths of Navy Pilots, LOL!!.  So I knew the Top Gun movie premise was all-movie, hardly like the real school, and it spoiled me fro enjoying Top Gun.  In spite of the music soundtracks, the outstanding camera work editing with the model planes... I just grimace and cringe. "That's NOT ANYTHING like what the real dogfights and real dangers are like--and they should have had more faith in the audience that if they taught them a little about the mechanics of air combat, the audience world get it and be just as thrilled!"....that's what I keep telling myself when I see those scenes from the movie.
I can't bring myself to try watching TG Maverick.  I'm too prejudiced against it before I even know what it's about---and that's unfair to any movie.  Society is deep in its Ironman and Transformers franchises, and that's kind of what Maverick movie fits right into being, isn't it?  A superhero movie, fast as Tony Stark, patriotic as Captain America.

Yikes, same with Arsenic and Old Lace.  Great movie plot, from a great play, but.... it's about the only movie I remember seeing that I DIDN'T think Cary Grant performed right.  Audiences love him slapstick and physical, but too me he played TOO excessively goofy and confused, and his portrayal got on my nerves.  

Double Yikes... err, I didn't like Double Indemnity much.  It doesn't hit me as powerfully as Out of the Past, or I Confess (oh, you gotta see that one), or even Night and The City (no, oh, oh, you GOTTA see that one!)
But I do give Double Indemnity credit for being one of the few noir films where the fem fetale is NOT the one we can blame for devising the crime.  Watch it again, ViceFanMan, and you tell me... was Stanwyck the wicked schemer, or did HE come up with this desire and this plan, or his own motivation, not hers?

1 hour ago, Augusta said:

Double Yikes... err, I didn't like Double Indemnity much.  It doesn't hit me as powerfully as Out of the Past, or I Confess (oh, you gotta see that one), or even Night and The City (no, oh, oh, you GOTTA see that one!)
But I do give Double Indemnity credit for being one of the few noir films where the fem fetale is NOT the one we can blame for devising the crime.  Watch it again, ViceFanMan, and you tell me... was Stanwyck the wicked schemer, or did HE come up with this desire and this plan, or his own motivation, not hers?

(Possible spoiler alerts!)

Yikes...that’s sad you don’t care for Double Indemnity...but to each his or her own, I guess. I’ve seen & have Out of the Past & Night and the City. Amazing films, but still nothing compared to “D.I.”! Those used noir elements similar to “D. I.”, but it was before them. 

I’ve seen the movie a “million” times...you need to watch it again and focus on the characters & where they’re coming from. ;) Walter was depressed & unhappy...but initially was not a killer looking to commit murder. Even when he first meets Phyllis, he’s attracted to her, and would probably of had no problem just having an affair with her...but he was not immediately thinking to kill her husband. 

It was Phyllis from the start that schemed to have her husband knocked off...once she realized she could manipulate Walter with sex. He got so caught up with & obsessed with her, that he ultimately found himself helping to plan the husband’s murder...but she was the femme fatale mastermind behind it...not Walter! 

• Like 2

Oh, make no mistake from my yuck on Double Indemnity----any movie that can make people debate about opposing perceptions on the character's morality, or the true reason why "he shouldn't have wanted to go back to the ex-wife's home"....THAT is what a great film should make you do, and it flat-out proves Double Indemnity is great.  

ViceFanMan, I sense you feel Stanwyck's character is the cause of this devious mess that was hatched (not giving away the plot to anyone who hasn't seen it)--- I tend to say to MacMurray's character, you pal hatched this scheme all from your own desires, and you've got no one to blame but yourself for the mess that's been done---SHE didn't REALLY get you to do this.  
You know, there's an interesting fan-story about this perspective.  Lots of fans who like the movie, say they hated Stanwyck's portrayal---they feel she didn't do a convincing enough job as the villainous female--her hair is styled and colored wrong, she doesn't smolder enough to corrupt someone properly.  I say that criticism is the hidden indicator that her character is NOT the villain---she's just the one we we tend to WANT to blame for the bad thing we decided to do, because it's better than blaming myself for the choice I freely made.

This debate we could have, that  "SHE didn't really cause you to do this, even if she is the fem fetale in the picture" isn't a perspective you normally see in a film noir.  It's unique.

The other debate I have is with my favorite character in the movie, EG Robinson's character, who is SO worldly and fair-minded, that he makes you feel proud to listen to him.   I keep wondering, each additional time that he talks to MacMurray, DID he KNOW, did he FEEL a hunch of what was going on?  Was he caringly giving his guy a WAY OUT, if you just take the opportunity and tell him what you've gotten involved in?  
And Fred, you didn't go ahead and tell him?  OOOOH, I wanted to smack Fred!  

Did Robinson's character suspect, or was it just an honest coincidence that he was "sharing a cab ride with the Truth" without being aware of it?  
Yep, a great film, in spite of my (LOL, still yuck) personal preferences.  

Edited by Augusta

32 minutes ago, Augusta said:

Oh, make no mistake from my yuck on Double Indemnity----any movie that can make people debate about opposing perceptions on the character's morality, or the true reason why "he shouldn't have wanted to go back to the ex-wife's home"....THAT is what a great film should make you do, and it flat-out proves Double Indemnity is great.  

ViceFanMan, I sense you feel Stanwyck's character is the cause of this devious mess that was hatched (not giving away the plot to anyone who hasn't seen it)--- I tend to say to MacMurray's character, you pal hatched this scheme all from your own desires, and you've got no one to blame but yourself for the mess that's been done---SHE didn't REALLY get you to do this.  
You know, there's an interesting fan-story about this perspective.  Lots of fans who like the movie, say they hated Stanwyck's portrayal---they feel she didn't do a convincing enough job as the villainous female--her hair is styled and colored wrong, she doesn't smolder enough to corrupt someone properly.  I say that criticism is the hidden indicator that her character is NOT the villain---she's just the one we we tend to WANT to blame for the bad thing we decided to do, because it's better than blaming myself for the choice I freely made.

This debate we could have, that  "SHE didn't really cause you to do this, even if she is the fem fetale in the picture" isn't a perspective you normally see in a film noir.  It's unique.

The other debate I have is with my favorite character in the movie, EG Robinson's character, who is SO worldly and fair-minded, that he makes you feel proud to listen to him.   I keep wondering, each additional time that he talks to MacMurray, DID he KNOW, did he FEEL a hunch of what was going on?  Was he caringly giving his guy a WAY OUT, if you just take the opportunity and tell him what you've gotten involved in?  
And Fred, you didn't go ahead and tell him?  OOOOH, I wanted to smack Fred!  

Did Robinson's character suspect, or was it just an honest coincidence that he was "sharing a cab ride with the Truth" without being aware of it?  
Yep, a great film, in spite of my (LOL, still yuck) personal preferences.  

Walter came up with the specific idea or insurance policy to use as a way to get the husband’s money (hence the title of the film)...but ultimately Phyllis seduced &  coaxed him into wanting to help her get rid of the husband. It was always her plan at some point & in some way to eventually get rid of her husband... and when she met Walter & learned his profession, she hatched her scheme.

By no means is Walter any less guilty...both of them helped murder the guy. But, ultimately it was Phyllis that had that idea all along. And first Walter just wanted her, but hadn’t planned to kill anyone. Sadly he became too obsessed with her & chose to help her do it. Later he realized how screwed up he’d become & what he’d done to the daughter Lola. He tried to redeem himself as much as he could, but ultimately it was too late. 

People who criticize how Barbara Stanwyck looked and acted do not understand or get-it. They purposely wanted her to be sleazy & “cheap” looking—including having the cheap blonde wig. They wanted her character to look and act as fake as she truly was.

Edited by ViceFanMan

@Augustai understand what you mean about TG. but movies are a bit like video games. you can't always do a 100% realistic thing, or people will get bored. for example if you take Dan Hampton Hunter killers book, it's a fantastic read. but if you convert this exactly to a movie, i'm not sure people will have fun watching 2 guys taking about an ECM pod into an hangar. TG maverick is obviously fiction. I mean which commander will send his/her pilots bomb an ultra steep crater. we all know it's fake. but however it's still fun, as it reminds us 90s old video games

• Like 1

:rauchen:  I'm still forever going to think, "lots of people desire to do away with someone, and thankfully they won't do it because they are sure they can't get away with the crime.  Fred's character's motivation is that he thought his inside experience CAN devise a crime he can get away with, and that his obsession was more with succeeding in his perfect crime, rather than with having his perfect woman. "

Hahaha,...Great debate, ViceFanMan!  The movie is due its credit.  

As for Top Gun Maverick, I understand the video game concept, that if you make people expect a video game, and you go too far with bits of reality, then you disappoint and bore the people.  I think that's been a firm idea in Hollywood for a LOOOONNNNG time.  
Bit here's an arc for you:  Top Gun was the breakout hit for director Tony Scott, right?  Well his brother, Ridley Scott was becoming "bored and frustrated" with the movies HE was making during his career in the mid 70's.  Ridley wondered to himself "what the hell kind of filmwork am I actually doing----why is this work so acceptable and inside-the-box?" Then Ridley saw Star Wars, and he realized a movie doesn't have to stay inside the genre that's expected of it.  Star Wars showed that a "science fiction" doesn't have to stay inside science fiction expectations---it can be a Captain Blood pirate movie or a teenager hot-rod movie at the same time.  So Ridley then did Alien, a "science fiction" that's really a gothic haunted house story.  It WON'T necessarily dull the audience if you go a little further than what the audience expects to be watching.  

With what I learned about ACM and flight physics, I thought it wouldn't have bored audiences to film the dogfighting jets "a tad further apart from each other" (not so close like two dogs trying to hump each other), or make flight ops on the carrier considerably scarier and louder (make the audience shrink in their seats like when you're at a Blue Angels air flyover), and showed flight suits that inflated like air bags in synch with the camera depicting just a little of the eyesight grey-out the pilot goes through during hard maneuvering (so the audience says "holy-%^#$--look what punishment he's going through---dude that is so wild!"),... and throw in a moody shot of pilots doing pencil-n-paper math study on a stoop somewhere while the glorious sultry sunset lights that sexy serious look on their chiseled faces and the wind tosses their masculine hair.  

ALL of those things are bits of the true reality in ACM and Top Gun School, and I believe these 'reality' tweaks and inserts would have made the combat scenes sizzle even MORE with shock and excitement for the audience (...and they would have made the real combat pilots feel more appropriately saluted by the movie, instead of just laughing at the ineptness of the flying parts, which is what I hear the pilots like to do with TG).... 
...if only Hollywood didn't treat the audiences like we're kids that can't comprehend a smidgen of education mixed into our video game.  
Ridley Scott figured it out, and Alien unlocked the doors for his career to fly.  .....It's been so many years after Tony Scott's fighter jock movie disappointed me, and I kinda suspected Hollywood still WOULDN'T yet figure out that a sprinkling of greater realism can RAISE the movie higher than its expectations.  It's not guaranteed to bore the audience.  

25 minutes ago, Augusta said:

:rauchen:  I'm still forever going to think, "lots of people desire to do away with someone, and thankfully they won't do it because they are sure they can't get away with the crime.  Fred's character's motivation is that he thought his inside experience CAN devise a crime he can get away with, and that his obsession was more with succeeding in his perfect crime, rather than with having his perfect woman. "

(Spoiler Alert)

His main motivation was Phyllis...her complete motivation was her husband’s money. She coaxed & seduced Walter into helping her get rid of the husband. With his profession he came up with the double indemnity policy idea as a way to do it. He felt like with his job experience, they most likely could get away with it. But, Phyllis was the diabolical mastermind behind getting her husband out of the way. 

However, Walter’s obsession with Phyllis prevented him from admitting the plan was already starting to come apart even before they actually killed the guy! After the murder, his infatuation with Phyllis eventually turned toxic, when he started realizing what she was really like. He tried to fix things as best he could, as well as keep himself from being found out, but it was no use. Like most murder plots, it unraveled to the point of more deaths—eventually including his own. 

Edited by ViceFanMan

I’d somehow made it thus far in my life without seeing “Full Metal Jacket”. 

Someone showed me the opening scene once because it’s so comical, but last night I saw the entire film for the first time (Netflix).

There is a certain brand of excellence that can only be made by Kubrick, and this one definitely hit the mark. 10/10 :thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Like 4

I just re-watched (after more than 30 years) the most iconic blockbuster of the 80s. That before I'm going to watch the sequel....

Edited by sdiegolo78
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, sdiegolo78 said:

I just re-watched (after more than 30 years) the most iconic blockbuster of the 80s. That before I'm going to watch the sequel....

You’re in for a treat, Sir. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

On 6/10/2022 at 7:09 PM, Augusta said:

As for Top Gun Maverick, I understand the video game concept, that if you make people expect a video game, and you go too far with bits of reality, then you disappoint and bore the people.  I think that's been a firm idea in Hollywood for a LOOOONNNNG time.  
Bit here's an arc for you:  Top Gun was the breakout hit for director Tony Scott, right?  Well his brother, Ridley Scott was becoming "bored and frustrated" with the movies HE was making during his career in the mid 70's.  Ridley wondered to himself "what the hell kind of filmwork am I actually doing----why is this work so acceptable and inside-the-box?" Then Ridley saw Star Wars, and he realized a movie doesn't have to stay inside the genre that's expected of it.  Star Wars showed that a "science fiction" doesn't have to stay inside science fiction expectations---it can be a Captain Blood pirate movie or a teenager hot-rod movie at the same time.  So Ridley then did Alien, a "science fiction" that's really a gothic haunted house story.  It WON'T necessarily dull the audience if you go a little further than what the audience expects to be watching.  

With what I learned about ACM and flight physics, I thought it wouldn't have bored audiences to film the dogfighting jets "a tad further apart from each other" (not so close like two dogs trying to hump each other), or make flight ops on the carrier considerably scarier and louder (make the audience shrink in their seats like when you're at a Blue Angels air flyover), and showed flight suits that inflated like air bags in synch with the camera depicting just a little of the eyesight grey-out the pilot goes through during hard maneuvering (so the audience says "holy-%^#$--look what punishment he's going through---dude that is so wild!"),... and throw in a moody shot of pilots doing pencil-n-paper math study on a stoop somewhere while the glorious sultry sunset lights that sexy serious look on their chiseled faces and the wind tosses their masculine hair.  

ALL of those things are bits of the true reality in ACM and Top Gun School, and I believe these 'reality' tweaks and inserts would have made the combat scenes sizzle even MORE with shock and excitement for the audience (...and they would have made the real combat pilots feel more appropriately saluted by the movie, instead of just laughing at the ineptness of the flying parts, which is what I hear the pilots like to do with TG).... 
...if only Hollywood didn't treat the audiences like we're kids that can't comprehend a smidgen of education mixed into our video game.  
Ridley Scott figured it out, and Alien unlocked the doors for his career to fly.  .....It's been so many years after Tony Scott's fighter jock movie disappointed me, and I kinda suspected Hollywood still WOULDN'T yet figure out that a sprinkling of greater realism can RAISE the movie higher than its expectations.  It's not guaranteed to bore the audience.  

ok but in which story. can you tell me a single part on the planet where US fighter jets would be subject to enter a dogfight. this doesn't exist. whatever the scenario today, there would be SEAD, AWACS, and eventually long distance combat. probably BVR. nobody cares about a movie about a redflag. people who go to the cinema wants to see something rare.

on another hand, and maybe a bit OT, you could do a great top gun episode with the father of maverick being a wild weasel in 'nam. now you would have some serious material. but maybe for a TG III :)

Edited by jpaul1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/12/2022 at 1:40 PM, Dadrian said:

Someone showed me the opening scene once because it’s so comical, but last night I saw the entire film for the first time (Netflix).

There is a certain brand of excellence that can only be made by Kubrick, and this one definitely hit the mark. 10/10 :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Coppola's Apocalypse beat Kubrick in the race to impress me first (and I wonder if my opinion would be different about Full Metal, if it had been the one I saw first).  Both are MASTER film makers who know how to feed the audience deliberately along when taking them on a long trip, introduce us gently at first to something that's mostly going to be a mystery until the end, and then REALLY PAY the audience off with some bone-shaking camera visuals during the conclusion.  
Apocalypse is an LSD trip from the very beginning to the end, the freaky way Sheen's character is introduced to us, but then kept in super-low under the radar throughout the movie so  we don't get to see the real Captain Willard until the finale situation, (where we then learn the man's capable of killing Stallone's Rambo before Rambo is finished pulling on his bandolier and his jade good luck charm in the restroom). 

Full Metal is disturbing throughout, LOL.
The moment of that girl with her pig-tails flying (if you've seen the movie, you know the exciting final scene I'm talking about) was filmed on-camera ASTOUNDINGLY beautiful, and is stamped in my mind more vividly than ANY scene I remember from ANY other Kubrick movie I ever watched-----glowing hot bullet casings, flying pigtails and all her fear.... BLEW me away in those 20 short seconds, and the scene was over.  
But embarrassing to say the two tiny peeves I have with Full Metal Jacket are:

Mathew Modine's irritating tone of voice (I just thought it made him feel TOO whiny nerd, even after all the encounters he'd gone through by the end of the movie).  And,

I was unable to distinguish the actors from each other visually, so I couldn't value enough of a loss when each was killed (was this guy with Modine in Paris Island?  Is that the same soldier who...?  I couldn't be sure of their faces...uuugh!).

But those pigtails...those pigtails...WOW, what a moment!  What a pay off for the audience.

On 6/14/2022 at 7:51 AM, jpaul1 said:

ok but in which story. can you tell me a single part on the planet where US fighter jets would be subject to enter a dogfight. this doesn't exist. whatever the scenario today, there would be SEAD, AWACS, and eventually long distance combat. probably BVR. nobody cares about a movie about a redflag. people who go to the cinema wants to see something rare.

on another hand, and maybe a bit OT, you could do a great top gun episode with the father of maverick being a wild weasel in 'nam. now you would have some serious material. but maybe for a TG III :)

Hey there, be careful Jpaul1.  It sounds like you're suggesting dogfighting is obsolete, and would never take place in modern combat any longer.  And THAT's exactly what Top Gun School was created to dispel.  The "modern combat" mindset was what caused so many pilots to lose matches in the Vietnam era.  Dogfighting must be taught, because the adversary is always going to look for ways to get "under" your modern weaponry and hope you don't know how to open up your cockpit and hit him with a rock anymore.

Haha, Ahhh but nobody should SUGGEST we recreate a Redflag-like sequence.  Heck with that, that's way TOO far from the common person's frame of view.  I would never suggest filming that for someone unless education is the purpose and not entertainment.  

I'm only suggesting that the way Top Gun was presented to the audience, was like feeding them an old matinee John Wayne movie (long folded-up jeans, clanky spurs, expensive western "laredo" shirt (tailored to fit snug around the muscles), and that goofy wide hat that no real cowboy can keep on his head).    And I'm suggesting a LITTLE more realism, (NOT the boring part of cow-punching like oiling your saddle, repairing cinches, dead calfs from prolapsed uteruses), such as lathered sweat on a horse, bloodying your sore hand on the reins, putting a perspiration dirt ring on your (smaller) hat, not only educates the audience a tad, but can make a BETTER more EXCITING western.   Did you like John Wayne's 1933 movie Sage Brush Trail?  Or did you like his 1956 movie The Searchers MORE? (And not just because of the camera technology)

Bah to Redflag and AWACS,... an audience probably can't benefit from them any more than the audience will benefit from real guns used on a western set rather than convincing prop-fakes (...hint to Alec Baldwin's pals).  

I can't respect Top Gun franchise because it didn't even TRY to go bolder.  It sort of operated from the perspective that "an audience is too dim to even understand that pulling-Gs is a tad more grown-up than it looks... so why even bother to show the audience."  

Too little faith in the capacity of the audience, or too much contempt for the audience... makes me go thumbs-down on a movie most of the time.

Edited by Augusta

i didn't read Dan Petersen book yet. i have it on my shelf, and was very close to grab it two days ago, but finally picked up a novel that has very good reviews instead. Top gun was created decades ago, when a dogfight was plausible. but today as i said, i hardly see a US fighter involved into a dog fight. there would have been SEAD, and anti-runway strikes before. reducing the probability for such a scenario to happen to a solid zero. politicians are too afraid of having a fighter jet down, and a prisoner, that this even cost the comanche program to be killed into the egg. no way in 2022 an american politician will send a fighter jet into an area that hadn't been pressure jet cleaned before

THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR (director: Sydney Pollack)

Three Days of the Condor - Rotten Tomatoes

Well-acted and well-made film, exposing the corrupt inner workings of the CIA.

8/10.

• Like 2

On 6/12/2022 at 10:40 AM, Dadrian said:

My two brother-in-laws were Marines during Vietnam.  One of them told me he swears R. Lee Enmey was exactly like his Drill Sergeant!  This is a powerful film and agree with your rating.  A true wartime classic. 

• Like 1

Viewing on this Independence Day a film from 1942.  A biography of music composer and playwright George M. Cohan.  The film is Yankee Doodle Dandy.  The star of the film is an actor best known for playing tough gangsters--James Cagney.  A completely different role for Mr. Cagney who not only loved playing this real life character but won an Oscar for Best Actor.  This film came out just as the United States had entered World War 2 and was seen as a patriotic film.  Cagney really does shine in this well written film.

lf.jpg

Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942).html

• Like 2

On 6/28/2022 at 4:02 PM, RedDragon86 said:

THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR (director: Sydney Pollack)

Three Days of the Condor - Rotten Tomatoes

Well-acted and well-made film, exposing the corrupt inner workings of the CIA.

8/10.

I watched this a couple of weeks ago too, not enough movies about the deep state were made. 

The following night I put on No Way Out with Kevin Costner which was alright. 

• Like 1

On 6/13/2022 at 11:48 PM, Dadrian said:

You’re in for a treat, Sir. :thumbsup:

I saw Maverick two times, the first on standard screen. For the second time I finally got tickets for the IMAX version when they brought it back at my local cineplex. Wow! It's fair to say this is the best movie I've ever seen in theater. And i've seen plenty of blockbusters over the years.

The IMAX version blew my mind!

Edited by sdiegolo78
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Watched this thriller last night. Mostly for the cast which include my favorite actors from TV series I love (both set in Miami :cool:). DJ still has it although this is not the best movie he was ever in.

The soundtrack really kicks assess!

Edited by sdiegolo78
  • Thanks 1