Movies you have seen recently

ArtieRollins

On 11/29/2022 at 7:00 PM, OCBman said:

image.png.a969f9c6028d28bdcf84e51ff0ac2f71.png

A few days ago, I saw System Crasher, a German film from 2019.

It's about a nine year old girl with some serious psychiatric issues and how those around her cope. 

If you enjoyed this you will love "Let The Right One In"

Make sure you watch the original film (Swedish version) and not the needless American remake version.

Lina Leandersson in Låt den rätte komma in (2008)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

If you enjoyed this you will love "Let The Right One In"

Make sure you watch the original film (Swedish version) and not the needless American remake version.

Lina Leandersson in Låt den rätte komma in (2008)

Yes, I've seen this. Very entertaining stuff! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m not one for very many Christmas movies, but there are a select few that I do enjoy each year. I tend to be more old fashioned when it comes to Christmas viewing, rather than Hallmark’s sap-crap, or crude humor (although National Lampoons: Christmas Vacation & Home Alone are two comedy ones I do enjoy). 

But, tonight I’m enjoying a famous Christmas classic: A Christmas Carol (1951), starring Alastair Sim as ‘Scrooge’—while drinking a Sam Adams Old Fezziwig Ale...a beer inspired by the character in the story (Scrooge’s old boss when he was young). :cheers:

It was originally filmed & released in B&W, but later it was also colorized. Typically I do not like B&W movies that were later colorized, and I also know some will disagree with this...but this colorization seems to fit this film even better! This movie, and It’s A Wonderful Life (1946) are 2 exceptions...that in my opinion are better in color, especially considering their subject matter.

To me both “Christmas Carol” and IAWL look really cool colorized, as the colorization is done in an old fashioned way—and both films look like old fashioned Christmas cards from the 1800s thru 19-teens. :glossy:

I throughly enjoy the “Christmas Carol” message, and what these people had to go through in London, at the time the Charles Dickens’ story was written. I also like the fact that no presents or material gifts are really mentioned or shown/focused on. Most were worried about the food for Christmas dinner & getting time to spend with family & friends. Sadly, our society nowadays is the opposite. 

But, if you’re in the mood for an old fashioned Christmas film, and enjoy the ‘Scrooge’ story, I highly recommend this one. Many other versions have been made (including a 1999 TV movie version produced by TNT & starring Patrick Stewart that is also very good), but in my opinion this one truly captures Dickens’ tale. :clap: Here are some pics/stills below of what the colorized version looks like, as well as a couple theatrical posters: 

82AB09DB-2278-4D30-B7BB-698A09E16695.jpeg

BFDDC997-6545-41C7-AA25-A23D2CAE4289.jpeg

A6AD495C-88FC-4CD8-94F2-3D242C232EAD.jpeg

8BF50590-0302-4DD3-BF42-DB1E5BFAB2A3.jpeg

2B9DF311-2F53-4183-B00B-6C75026ADCF4.jpeg

E8E98599-4C07-4EC7-95AD-6DC9CB34A886.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 2

A gangster movie of sorts. It's dated in some respects (all that crap about using hallucinogens as psychotherapy), but the portrait of the London underworld avoids all the clichès: it's very original and quite humorous. James Fox gives a performance for the ages as a borderline psychopatic enforcer who runs into trouble with his boss. And Mick Jagger is in it, pretty much playing his charismatic self, which is more than enough for me!

One of those love-it-or-hate-it movies. Give it a try if you 're feeling adventurous.Performance-117780278-mmed.jpg.a87763cef0f54d5f6874f284d6892289.jpg

Edited by johnnyfarragut

• 2 weeks later...

I really dig this! And the soundtrack kicks asses! Can't actually find it anywhere though, it's not even on tidal.
Great cinematography and it got an academy award nomination for best montage. The final helicopter chase still holds up today!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sdiegolo78 said:

I really dig this! And the soundtrack kicks asses! Can't actually find it anywhere though, it's not even on tidal.
Great cinematography and it got an academy award nomination for best montage. The final helicopter chase still holds up today!

There is a special edition Blu-ray that was out several years ago, but it supposedly is out of print. However, I’ve seen a few for sale online (eBay & other online sites)...and the price wasn’t too over-the-top. Just FYI. :D

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/17/2017 at 4:28 PM, OCBman said:

Recently, I have been on a Miguel Piñero kick:

Fort Apache, The Bronx (1981)

Very interesting police drama starring Paul Newman. Piñero does a great job as a baddie, as usual.

Short Eyes (1977)

In addition to Piñero, there were several other actors that were also featured in MV.

Tito Goya was featured in "Calderone's Return" parts I and II.

Jose Perez was featured in "Miracle Man" and "Junk Love".

Shawn Elliott was featured in "Milk Run" and "Heroes of the Revolution".

Luis Guzman was featured in "The Prodigal Son" and "Free Verse".

One additional connection: The film was directed by Robert M. Young, who later went on to direct Edward James Olmos in The Ballad of Gregorio Cortez (1982).

I would love to hear any thoughts from those who have seen these movies.

I've seen that one (Fort Apache The Bronx) and I liked it! Quite a shocking beginning. Also had a young Ken Wahl in it (and I'm a Wiseguy fan.)

Edited by wolfie1996
addition

Per-some posts in another thread, I’m getting ready to watch one of (if not the) best spaghetti westerns ever made...The Good, The Bad & The Ugly (1966)! 

This is the 3rd and final film of Sergio Leone’s “man with no name” trilogy, but in my opinion it’s definitely the best of the 3...although I love the other 2 as well. 

I’ve recently gotten special edition restored 4K Blu-rays by Kino Lorber, of all 3, and they’re awesome...loaded with special features, documentaries/interviews & info/trivia about each movie, etc... Of course the musical scores by Ennio Morricone are “hauntingly” captivating & almost as famous as the movies themselves! 

The KL Blu-ray of “Good, Bad, Ugly” is a 2-disc set...one disc is the original 162 minute theatrical release, and the other is the special 179 minute extended version! I’ve actually not seen that version before, so I look forward to viewing that for sure.

585DD104-A7ED-4EA8-9F01-3DB61469D609.thumb.jpeg.e2185bdfac1052965b5bf9755f1c7f49.jpeg

This is one front cover of the Kino Lorber Blu-ray...it can be turned over, and the other side is another theatrical poster if you decide you like it better! 

64EF24E1-8DBC-4026-BD7E-2F32641642C9.jpeg.670064993a487257141e9cb55bf2b247.jpeg

C6079997-6AB6-4856-A3D4-2D43CC02BBF8.thumb.jpeg.af27d28acc62e4be1381b55832318af2.jpeg

76DD42D9-7B20-4227-8A2B-9937D9F15547.thumb.jpeg.c16e8bcbc063feeba68605a702da6007.jpeg

81FD6BC9-3D06-4346-8936-40AB84B75BD4.thumb.jpeg.58ca93ca1157df6fdca0d9ccdabd877d.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 5

I think Robocop is the one film of Verhoeven's where he got the balance just right with his crazy indulgences as a filmmaker and creating good drama. A good cast also helps, of course. Unfortunately the film has even more validity now with the militarization of law enforcement in some areas and the corporatising of society. Jeff Bezos could own Delta City one day.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Bren10 said:

I think Robocop is the one film of Verhoeven's where he got the balance just right with his crazy indulgences as a filmmaker and creating good drama. A good cast also helps, of course. Unfortunately the film has even more validity now with the militarization of law enforcement in some areas and the corporatising of society. Jeff Bezos could own Delta City one day.

Let's not forget Elon Musk. The tech focus feels more like his style.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched Miami Blues[1989] last weekend. Really liked the character Baldwin plays.  Since I enjoyed revisiting some parts in the past 2-3days I decided to re-edit one of its trailers in 4K resolution. Enjoy :D

• Like 1

I love Kim Basinger and I think they were a great team with Alec in Marrying man [1991] and also here in The Getaway. I know a lot of ppl felt harsh about this since it is a remake but I somehow adored it for what it was. A great 90s action movie with great scenes well shot and edited. Supporting cast was also my taste in the shape of Madsen and Woods.

I re-edited the trailer of this movie in 4K resolution, hope you'll like it. The thing is, there were shots and scened that didn't made it to the final cut so I had to replace them with what we have in the final movie version. But 93% of the Trailer is identical to the original theatrical trailer.

Enjoy

Edited by Kalci

I couldn't let The Getaway go :D  Here is an other edit of the movie from me. I created this vid back in 2015(still on my channel) but now I re-edited it in 4K resolution for better enjoyment.

Edited by Kalci

Watched a film staring Mel Gibson and Vince Vaughn.  They portray cops who get suspended for using too much force to make an arrest.  Dragged Across Concrete (2018).  This is a gritty, violent film with an interesting script.  Guess who make an appearance as the police chief?  Don Johnson.  As I was watching it reminded me of that awesome film from 2007 No Country for Old Men. I am not saying it is as great but still a recommend from me. 

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

My wife and I revisited Against All Odds last night. 

If you like Season 1 MV, and you haven’t seen this film, you should at least check it out. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Dadrian said:

My wife and I revisited Against All Odds last night. 

If you like Season 1 MV, and you haven’t seen this film, you should at least check it out. 

one of my fav 80s movie stylistically. I love Rachel Ward in that, although I am not a fun of her hair in that.  great script, great cast, cool car racing scene, and some memorable scenes like the club scene with Steve Nicks' Violet and Blue playing the background.

• Like 2

I watched recently Taffin which I enjoyed, not a Hollywood production but a decent movie with a cool duo.

Note that he wearing  also the Persol 69218, which was the real deal at that time :)

Mickey Rourke also wore it in Wild Orchid in 1989 and the list could go on !

Anyway this is a funny and very rude scene, Pierce somehow very cool in these kind of situations. :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

"The Enforcer" 1976

Good sequel but partially ruined by a corny, over the top silly performance by DeVeren Bookerwalter.

He reminds me of Nuclear Man, certainly not a Vietnam Vet anyway

Watched "Guilty as Sin" (1993) again the other night. A low-budget movie that went widely unnoticed but has its qualities, such as - of course, Don Johnson, and some Hitchcock style moments.

For me this is DJ's best acting performance ever. He plays his character very slick, cold and narcissistic - and he really excells at it.

I watched it with a friend who writes movie scripts and produces short films which have won several awards. He had rather low expectations upfront but ended up being very positively surprised.

Edited by daytona365
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, daytona365 said:

Watched "Guilty as Sin" (1993) again the other night. A low-budget movie that went widely unnoticed but has its qualities, such as - of course, Don Johnson, and some Hitchcock style moments.

For me this is DJ's best acting performance ever. He plays his character very slick, cold and narcissistic - and he really excells at it.

I watched it with a friend who writes movie scripts and produces short films which have won several awards. He had rather low expectations upfront but ended up being very positively surprised.

I remember renting and watching Guilty As Sin when it first came out on VHS...I remember I thought it was pretty good, and had some good suspenseful moments. But, I don't remember a lot about the plot. I'll have to re-check this one out! :thumbsup:

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1

TRON-524035754-large.jpg.e20c14a768efe0c1539352a14d53faf7.jpg

This movie I watched countless times when I was a kid. I've been checking some bits and pieces on YT.

One of the first movies to use CGI effects. Holds up pretty well, considering it's from 1982.

The story's alright and it's built around real computer science stuff. So, good sci-fi for me.

I watched the sequel back when but I don't remember much of it. 

Edited by johnnyfarragut
  • Like 1