Movies you have seen recently

ArtieRollins

13 hours ago, johnnyfarragut said:

(SPOILER)Very disturbing movie. The villager's massacre at the end is the most unnerving thing I've ever seen. And this happened for real!;(

That was hard to watch, very rough viewing.

On 9/22/2023 at 9:59 AM, RedDragon86 said:

"Come and See" 1985.

Quite possibly the most haunting and disturbing war film of time.

It’s extremely powerful and haunting film of how costly war is for humanity, where in the epilogue we learn that this incident is only one of 628 Byelorussian villages were massacred and burned during WW2. A+ 10/10

Thanks for the heads up. 

I watched this last night. Incredible film making! 

• Like 2

I know that early to mid 80s low budget “slashers” have gained quite a cult-following over the past several decades, and many are more popular now than they ever were when first released…Prom Night (1980) is a good example, in my opinion. :thumbsup:

But, recently I heard about another one that I hadn’t seen before…The Prowler (1981). I got ahold of a copy cheap enough & thought I’d check it out. I’m not going to lie…this has got to be one of the worst horror/slashers I’ve ever seen, lol! :) Very poorly constructed & executed plot, the acting was really bad, in my opinion the conclusion was rather predictable, and the whole thing was for the most part ridiculous! :o

However, I will say there were a few decent “jumps”, including the very end with the girl & the shower—which I’m still not sure if that supposedly really happened, or it was just her imagination taking over after finding a couple bodies? ?(

But, basically the only thing the movie is known for, is the very graphically, violent, gruesome kills. Very “Dario Argento”-ish, if you know what/who I mean by that. ;) If you’re into really bad (almost humorous) slasher flicks, with blood-n-guts…this might be one for you. :p 

IMG_3815.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Killer 2023

I don't understand how this get's such a high rating.

If "The Killer" teaches us anything, it’s that any top director, no matter how great they are, can fall victim to a bad script. While David Fincher’s iconic style filters through the two-hour runtime, the hollow plot and uninspired writing are impossible to ignore.

5/10

1 hour ago, RedDragon86 said:

Robocop (1987) a thrilling, revolutionary 80's masterpiece - 10/10

image.thumb.png.84bb85faa5ea28488c41fc0e15056f0e.png

Great movie.

Directive #1: serve the public trust.

Directive #2: protect the innocent.

Directive #3: uphold the law.

Directive #4: CLASSIFIED

• Like 1

I love this one. It's not so much scary as it is disturbing (the body invasion,Lovecraft's cosmic horror themes, Jerry Goldsmith's eerie soundtrack, ...). Not your average monster movie by any means.

I don't care much about the sequels except Cameron's (a superb action flick).

alien-657278575-mmed.jpg.891aaea7c58af5741b6a9ea439a6e5ea.jpg

Edited by johnnyfarragut
  • Like 3

On 11/14/2023 at 6:11 AM, RedDragon86 said:

Robocop (1987) a thrilling, revolutionary 80's masterpiece - 10/10

image.thumb.png.84bb85faa5ea28488c41fc0e15056f0e.png

A completely different film.  Very original script.  I enjoyed it too.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, johnnyfarragut said:

I love this one. It's not so much scary as it is disturbing (the body invasion,Lovecraft's cosmic horror themes, Jerry Goldsmith's eerie soundtrack, ...). Not your average monster movie by any means.

I don't care much about the sequels except Cameron's (a superb action flick).

alien-657278575-mmed.jpg.891aaea7c58af5741b6a9ea439a6e5ea.jpg

I saw this one when it originally hit the theater.  Fantastic film.  The Nostromo design is creepy.  The poster's tagline made me want to watch it.  I think film critic Roger Ebert described it as a haunted house in space.   I have a box set of all the Alien films and this is one franchise I can watch over and over again. 

• Like 3

To Catch a Killer (1992)

image.png.394117899b37ebd25b851d2f783f5813.png

One of the best serial killer movies, simply because it's realistic, it leaves all of that Hollywood, silence of the lambs, Se7en far fetch nonsense out of the production. 

The performance are excellent, especially from Dennehy, maybe his best ever.

The atmosphere created is unique, filled with dread.

10/10 - I wish they could release this on blu-ray

• Like 2

To Catch a Killer (1992)

image.png.394117899b37ebd25b851d2f783f5813.png

One of the best serial killer movies, simply because it's realistic, it leaves all of that Hollywood, silence of the lambs, Se7en far fetch nonsense out of the production. 

The performance are excellent, especially from Dennehy, maybe his best ever.

The atmosphere created is unique, filled with dread.

10/10 - I wish they could release this on blu-ray

I have actually not ever seen this. It’s based on the true story of the hunt for serial killer John Wayne Gacy. It was originally a TV mini-series, so I don’t think it has ever been released on Blu-ray…but, there are DVDs available on eBay and some other places online. I might have to check it out! :thumbsup:

(P.S. Sorry, but Silence of the Lambs is one of my favorite movies! ;) :p)

• Like 1

On 11/26/2023 at 8:43 AM, ViceFanMan said:

I have actually not ever seen this. It’s based on the true story of the hunt for serial killer John Wayne Gacy. It was originally a TV mini-series, so I don’t think it has ever been released on Blu-ray…but, there are DVDs available on eBay and some other places online. I might have to check it out! :thumbsup:

(P.S. Sorry, but Silence of the Lambs is one of my favorite movies! ;) :p)

Silence of the Lambs is entertaining, it does draw you in but I still can't ignore the problems it has, for example the environment Lecktor is confined in would go against his human rights, where was he imprisoned Bram Castle?

And how he hung that guard up 30 feet on his makeshift cell would be simply impossible and how convenient it was for all of S.W.A.T to be on the ground floor instead of his level. Also that scene where all his has to to do is look at a pen while he totally restrained and it ends up in his possession anyway.

The ending was problematic, Crawford sent Clarice home but he had a moment where he thought she would be in danger, as she arrives at Buffalo Bills house?

Edited by RedDragon86

Silence of the Lambs is entertaining, it does draw you in but I still can't ignore the problems it has, for example the environment Lecktor is confined in would go against his human rights, where was he imprisoned Bram Castle?

And how he hung that guard up 30 feet on his makeshift cell would be simply impossible and how convenient it was for all of S.W.A.T to be on the ground floor instead of his level. Also that scene where all his has to to do is look at a pen while he totally restrained and it ends up in his possession anyway.

The ending was problematic, Crawford sent Clarice home but he had a moment where he thought she would be in danger, as she arrives at Buffalo Bills house?

30 some years ago, prisons or maximum security places for serial killers/criminally insane were not like today…where they get all the “niceties”, internet, special care, etc… Lecter had what he needed, but that was it. That basement level was where society dumped its worst nightmares back then.

Hannibal was known for ingenuity with how he killed, and things he would use to carry his kill out—as well as unbelievable strength when enraged. He used things in that one room to hoist the guard up to where he needed to mockingly display the body. Just looking at the pen and then later on, he used the clip from it, was just to show us what he had in mind. It didn’t mean that when he looked at it, it “magically” appeared in his possession. At some point he was near enough to where that pen was, that he was able to get a hold of it.

I don’t think Clarice was sent home at the end, she was sent on what Crawford thought would be a routine last check on something. However, she ended up going to the actual serial killer’s house, and Crawford himself was sent on the proverbial, wild goose chase. By the time Crawford realized what had happened, Clarice of course was already in the house to do the supposed interview, but of course it was Buffalo Bill.

This movie was not based on a real life case, it was based on a novel. So of course there’s going to be some things that are a little bit unrealistic or out there so to speak. But, psychologically speaking, it was amazing and captivating!

8 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

30 some years ago, prisons or maximum security places for serial killers/criminally insane were not like today…where they get all the “niceties”, internet, special care, etc… Lecter had what he needed, but that was it. That basement level was where society dumped its worst nightmares back then.

Hannibal was known for ingenuity with how he killed, and things he would use to carry his kill out—as well as unbelievable strength when enraged. He used things in that one room to hoist the guard up to where he needed to mockingly display the body. Just looking at the pen and then later on, he used the clip from it, was just to show us what he had in mind. It didn’t mean that when he looked at it, it “magically” appeared in his possession. At some point he was near enough to where that pen was, that he was able to get a hold of it.

I don’t think Clarice was sent home at the end, she was sent on what Crawford thought would be a routine last check on something. However, she ended up going to the actual serial killer’s house, and Crawford himself was sent on the proverbial, wild goose chase. By the time Crawford realized what had happened, Clarice of course was already in the house to do the supposed interview, but of course it was Buffalo Bill.

This movie was not based on a real life case, it was based on a novel. So of course there’s going to be some things that are a little bit unrealistic or out there so to speak. But, psychologically speaking, it was amazing and captivating!

Even in the 70's his cell wouldn't look like that.

This is Ed Kemper's cell 1975image.png.5dd9ac3e1532b8da021785ec9aaf3cdf.png

Another problem with the film is Buffalo Bills character has way too many traits as serial killer, even FBI profiler John Douglas said so, he lures his victims like Bundy, is a transvestite and has a Nazi swastika flag on his wall.

Edited by RedDragon86

11 minutes ago, RedDragon86 said:

Even in the 70's his cell wouldn't look like that.

This is Ed Kemper's cell 1975image.png.5dd9ac3e1532b8da021785ec9aaf3cdf.png

Another problem with the film is Buffalo Bills character has way too many traits as serial killer, even FBI profiler John Douglas said so, he lures his victims like Bundy, is a transvestite and has a Nazi swastika flag on his wall.

Well, like I said this was a story & not a real life case. It wasn’t like the “Dahmer” documentary on Netflix. ;) They can make it look “realistic” but not be “real”. A lot of the things they did with characters & the story, are explained in the making-of documentaries on the film.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2023 at 8:50 AM, ViceFanMan said:

Well, like I said this was a story & not a real life case. It wasn’t like the “Dahmer” documentary on Netflix. ;) They can make it look “realistic” but not be “real”. A lot of the things they did with characters & the story, are explained in the making-of documentaries on the film.

I was wondering have you watched Mindhunter on Netflix?

It's a TV series that investigates real life serial killers like Kemper and more. 

2 hours ago, RedDragon86 said:

I was wondering have you watched Mindhunter on Netflix?

It's a TV series that investigates real life serial killers like Kemper and more. 

I believe I have…I’ve seen one or two that went into several different serial killers and how they eventually were caught.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ViceFanMan said:

I believe I have…I’ve seen one or two that went into several different serial killers and how they eventually were caught.

The particularly like the Wayne Williams case, the actor that played him did an amazing job. 

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 1

personnally i find silence of the lambs unrealistic. i mean the guy who comits atrocious kilings, and never gets catched up by his conscience doesn't catch up here (just my 2c..)

decided to watch Nosferatu not to die idiot like we say here. And i was impressed by the quality of the movie. whatever it is the plot, special effects, or soundtrack, it's a pretty amazing movie. i found the soundtrack quite impressive. i mean you hear it over 1h+, and never get bored of it

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jpaul1 said:

personnally i find silence of the lambs unrealistic. i mean the guy who comits atrocious kilings, and never gets catched up by his conscience doesn't catch up here (just my 2c..)

I’m not exactly sure what you mean, but both Hannibal Lecter (Hannibal-the-Cannibal) or Jame Gumm (Buffalo Bill) were not only serial killers, but full blown sociopaths—meaning they didn’t have a conscience. Sociopaths have no feeling, no guilt, no remorse, no love, no empathy, and although they understand what society tells them is right or wrong…they don’t comprehend that. In their minds they are “above” everyone else…and whatever they want or think they need is justified.

As for “unrealistic”…actually several of the things they have Hannibal & Buffalo do in the movie are based off actual things real life serial killer Ed Gein did in Wisconsin, in the mid 1950s. So are the characters of Norman Bates in Psycho, and Leatherface in Texas Chainsaw Massacre-(that’s the supposed “true” story claim with that movie, although not the chainsaw part…despite entertainment myth, there has never been any massacre with a chainsaw in any state ;)).

• Like 2

what i was saying is that (for me) Hannibal is too smart. way too smart for a guy who'd have his conscience tied up to his baskets

Texas chainsaw was more a full blown up s.. a bit like toxic avenger. unrealistic but still (very) enjoyable

Edited by jpaul1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jpaul1 said:

what i was saying is that (for me) Hannibal is too smart. way too smart for a guy who'd have his conscience tied up to his baskets

Texas chainsaw was more a full blown up s.. a bit like toxic avenger. unrealistic but still (very) enjoyable

Hannibal didn’t have a conscience, though…neither did Buffalo Bill. That was the point, that they were sociopathic serial killers…operating without a conscience, or a sense of right & wrong.

“Texas Chainsaw” was ridiculous, in my opinion :rolleyes:…totally unrealistic & focused more on the gore & graphic blood-n-guts than plot or intelligence. I don’t mind some horror movies/slashers, but that isn’t really one I enjoy. 

Edited by ViceFanMan

Anyway guys a funny movie about a sociopath that comes to mind is  Miami Blues with Alec Baldwin :D  I really enjoyed that one :D I am a somwhat hard person to deal with in normal life so I guess somehow I can feel with these personalities. I can feel for them in a way that they not feel :D :D

Edited by Kalci

This is mostly my thoughts & review from a couple years ago, with some new info added:

A couple years ago I heard about and acquired a somewhat bizarre, but amazingly captivating 1961 crime-noir called Blast of Silence. This was a very low budget, personal-independent film written by, produced by, directed by, and even starring writer/director Allen Baron. Baron originally tried to have actor friend Peter Falk (later known to us as Columbo) star in his film...but Falk ended up doing something else, and Baron himself ended up taking on the star role of Frankie Bono...assassin.

After viewing the movie, I can’t imagine anyone else doing a better job! Although Baron had not had a lot of acting experience at that time & didn’t want to take on the role (he wanted to stick to just directing it), you wouldn’t know it at all after you find yourself being immediately but enjoyably sucked into the warped & mentally deranged mind of a professional killer.

All of the filming locations were done on location in downtown New York & Harlem in the early 60s...many done without permission or permits from the city or police! At one point Baron & the camera crew were suddenly stopped & rousted by the NYPD, as they thought Baron & his crew were spying on & trying to film the cops—as the police had been patrolling an area right around where Baron was filming! :) But, after the police commissioner was contacted & he realized they actually had broken no laws, he let them go. The stark-realism, & “dark” cinematography of gritty downtown NY from that time are a masterpiece of their own! :glossy:

This is a very interesting take on a film, which is seen, played-out, and even “thought” out through the mind & eyes of a hired killer—hunting down, pursuing, and eventually going after his target...all during the Christmas holiday in NYC! A good portion of the movie is us “hearing” the killer thinking out his every step & even ways to calm himself, in his mind. His “subconscious” was narrated for us by veteran actor Lionel Stander (better known to many of us as the love-able, gravely-voiced butler Max on the 80s detective show Hart to Hart). 

Blast of Silence is very brutal, raw, rough, but fascinatingly “real” & stylish...especially for the time period it was made! It’s only 77mins long, but it’s an hour & 17mins of sensational, realistic tragedy in the life of a killer...that ultimately has to face his own “demons”. In my opinion it’s truly amazing! :clap:

However, for years this film was somewhat hard to find! The Criterion Collection put out a special edition DVD around 2008...but then they became out of print & rare...so when you found them for sale, they were usually insanely expensive! I happened to find a used one, but in very good condition for around $70...which was a bargain compared to what I’d seen others go for...$150-$300! :eek:

However, Criterion recently decided to re-visit this film, and finally put out a special edition BLU-RAY!! :dance2: It was released just the other day! It’s an all new 4K restoration presented in two aspect ratios: widescreen & full-screen.

The special features & documentaries on the original Criterion DVD & now the new Blu-ray are superb—including a special trivia/movie info booklet, documentaries on the making of the film, a 30 year anniversary re-visit in 1990 by Allen Baron himself to all the film’s original locations & what they looked like 30 years later, what the locations looked like in 2008 (when the DVD was first released) more recent interviews with Baron in 2006, and much more amazing trivia info.

Baron is still alive at 96, by the way! If you enjoy dark, gritty, noir type movies & are able to get a hold of, or find a way to see this film, I highly recommend it! :thumbsup: 

IMG_3728.webp

IMG_3727.webp

IMG_3729.jpeg

IMG_3898.jpeg

Edited by ViceFanMan
  • Like 1