Episode 39 - Little Miss Dangerous

miamijimf

Matt last I heard the Henrosa was vacant except for a small liquor store in the front.  Fortunately City ordinances prohibit changing the exterior but it is still in danger.  What did it look like to you?

Edited by miamijimf

10 hours ago, miamijimf said:

Matt last I heard the Henrosa was vacant except for a small liquor store in the front.  Fortunately City ordinances prohibit changing the exterior but it is still in danger.  What did it look like to you?

Same Jim it was empty. A few were along Collins I noticed. 

:xmas:1390 Ocean (“No Exit”, “Redemption In Blood”) seen behind Jackie as she starts her nite time walk on Ocean Drive past the hotels there to the Betsy Ross at 14th place.:xmas:

FAFD9433-6F93-424F-B882-19F3342DF5F3.jpeg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

It’s a disgrace how Senor Frogs have let 1450 Collins Ave /Jerry’s Deli/ Sexworld (also a wonderful Wolfies once) building deteriorate so much. 

The pavement and the window ledges on the Collins Ave side with chunks falling apart. The inside a wooden floor has replaced the stone floor and plastic partitions put up all over the inside with loud pumping music. Of course we see this building also in “Over the Line” and “Walk Alone” to name a few. 

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Matt5 said:

It’s a disgrace how Senor Frogs have let 1450 Collins Ave /Jerry’s Deli/ Sexworld (also a wonderful Wolfies once) building deteriorate so much. 

The pavement and the window ledges on the Collins Ave side with chunks falling apart. The inside a wooden floor has replaced the stone floor and plastic partitions put up all over the inside with loud pumping music. Of course we see this building also in “Over the Line” and “Walk Alone” to name a few. 

Boy, that's a heartbreaker!

7 hours ago, Matt5 said:

Terrible news.  Don't have any record of it being a Wolfies.  It was Hoffman's Cafeteria, the Warsaw Ballroom, Club Ovo, the China Club, the Rhythm Club, Jerry’s Famous Deli for 14 years, then a Tex-Mex restaurant Senor Frogs.  For me, of course, it will always be Sexworld. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I believe I have found the last unknown location in this episode.  @C Glide

After the opening montage, we see some a police car chasing hookers in an alley:

vlcsnap-2021-04-10-22h31m27s569.png.f9367055097af41be9aa7e231fc0b3bf.png

The streetlights reach from the right side of the alley to the left.  That means we are looking south.  I noticed some unique piping on the wall on the left.  I looked up and down Collins Court and Ocean Court for the piping, but I came up empty.

So I thought logically:  the rest of this scene was filmed around the Henrosa, so it would make the most sense if they filmed this in the alley near the Henrosa.  I remembered that The Dutch Oven shootout had been filmed at the end of Ocean Court at the Henrosa. Looking at that scene, I think it's a match.

Dutch Oven:

vlcsnap-2021-04-12-00h08m19s725c.png.0ded0099b10b8b912ea1fefcc5844d43.png

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 2

Congratulations airtommy!

Location hunting isn’t really something I participate in, but I wanted to add something for possible future searches.  Your logic about the scene being filmed near another location was absolutely correct.  In production, when each filming day’s script pages are scheduled, they are always combined by location.  In this case, since it was the only scene still unknown, it almost certainly was filmed near one of the other locations already used in the episode.  On rare occasions, a second unit will go someplace totally different, but not with extras, like the hookers here, and they often film without sound, doing pickup and establishing shots.  It would be way too expensive to have the whole crew moved to a completely different location for a single scene.  

I thought this might be helpful for those episodes where only a small number of missing locations remain.  If the remaining locations to be found don’t add up to about 5 pages of script, or about 5 minutes of film, then they were part of another location filming day.  I hope that makes sense.

Edited by pahonu
  • Like 1

vor 3 Stunden schrieb pahonu:

Congratulations airtommy!

Location hunting isn’t really something I participate in, but I wanted to add something for possible future searches.  Your logic about the scene being filmed near another location was absolutely correct.  In production, when each filming day’s script pages are scheduled, they are always combined by location.  In this case, since it was the only scene still unknown, it almost certainly was filmed near one of the other locations already used in the episode.  On rare occasions, a second unit will go someplace totally different, but not with extras, like the hookers here, and they often film without sound, doing pickup and establishing shots.  It would be way too expensive to have the whole crew moved to a completely different location for a single scene.  

I thought this might be helpful for those episodes where only a small number of missing locations remain.  If the remaining locations to be found don’t add up to about 5 pages of script, or about 5 minutes of film, then they were part of another location filming day.  I hope that makes sense.

Thanks and you are right! We always use that logic during location sleuthing. We only have 20 locations left but with many of these last ones the "location clustering assumption" does not work, even with small scenes that do not justify extra travelling. Examples: one small crime scene in "Love at first sight" and a small "cafe" scene in Miami Squeeze. In both cases we know most other locations in that episode but haven´t found anything around it, even clear clues (e.g. pink curb indicates Miami Beach). And, to add, in MV there was a clear rule that whenever regular cast or guest stars were involved the first unit had to do the filming, 2nd unit only without actors/main cast. AFAIK this is standard with all major productions.

Edited by Tom

53 minutes ago, Tom said:

Thanks and you are right! We always use that logic during location sleuthing. We only have 20 locations left but with many of these last ones the "location clustering assumption" does not work, even with small scenes that do not justify extra travelling. Examples: one small crime scene in "Love at first sight" and a small "cafe" scene in Miami Squeeze. In both cases we know most other locations in that episode but haven´t found anything around it, even clear clues (e.g. pink curb indicates Miami Beach). And, to add, in MV there was a clear rule that whenever regular cast or guest stars were involved the first unit had to do the filming, 2nd unit only without actors/main cast. AFAIK this is standard with all major productions.

This doesn’t really help very much with your hunts, but here goes.  Occasionally, and I think I saw this perhaps 5-6 times in two years, the call sheet for the day included a single unrelated scene that was needed to complete a previous episode.  They used a nearby location to complete it.  I’m not really certain why this occurred, if it was a mistake or was it planned all along.  I also don’t remember it happening for a scene in a future episode.  I do remember hearing about an episode being delayed because of a shot, which might be a reason why some TV episodes are aired out of production order, among other things. 

I’m assuming MV shot on a 7 or 8 day schedule per episode which is common.  There is a lag of several weeks during postproduction until the episode is finished, so occasionally these pick up scenes were done.  They also get many episodes finished far before the first broadcast.  In my experience these pick ups were always very small scene, like 1/8 or 2/8 page.  It was always first unit filming with sound and regular cast, not guests.

So I suppose if you are really stuck looking for a location in an episode, perhaps look at the locations in the next episode in the production order.  It’s remotely possible they did this and better than randomly looking I would think.

Edited by pahonu

vor 40 Minuten schrieb pahonu:

This doesn’t really help very much with your hunts, but here goes.  Occasionally, and I think I saw this perhaps 5-6 times in two years, the call sheet for the day included a single unrelated scene that was needed to complete a previous episode.  They used a nearby location to complete it.  I’m not really certain why this occurred, if it was a mistake or was it planned all along.  I also don’t remember it happening for a scene in a future episode.  I do remember hearing about an episode being delayed because of a shot, which might be a reason why some TV episodes are aired out of production order, among other things. 

I’m assuming MV shot on a 7 or 8 day schedule per episode which is common.  There is a lag of several weeks during postproduction until the episode is finished, so occasionally these pick up scenes were done.  They also get many episodes finished far before the first broadcast.  In my experience these pick ups were always very small scene, like 1/8 or 2/8 page.  It was always first unit filming with sound and regular cast, not guests.

So I suppose if you are really stuck looking for a location in an episode, perhaps look at the locations in the next episode in the production order.  It’s remotely possible they did this and better than randomly looking I would think.

Thanks. I did consider all that of course. I personally have the full production notes including scripts of nearly 25 MV episodes from all seasons, so I have a pretty good picture about how they scheduled and filmed. MV planned with 7 shooting days per episode (1 day of which was studio) and 1 day for the second unit and 5-10 onsite locations on average. 

4 minutes ago, Tom said:

Thanks. I did consider all that of course. I personally have the full production notes including scripts of nearly 25 MV episodes from all seasons, so I have a pretty good picture about how they scheduled and filmed. MV planned with 7 shooting days per episode (1 day of which was studio) and 1 day for the second unit and 5-10 onsite locations on average. 

Nice!  Good luck with those last locations then. :thumbsup:

I was just thinking about the  number of call sheets and other paperwork I trashed back then. It was two full years of production.  It wasn’t a show I watched it enjoyed really so it’s different I guess.  Somebody would have enjoyed them though.  Oh well!

Edited by pahonu

vor 1 Minute schrieb pahonu:

Nice!  Good luck with those last locations then. :thumbsup:

Thanks! I really appreciate your support and your interest. We have found 98+% of all locations used partly with unbelievable analytical scrutiny, thus it is not unusual that the last 20 are the most tricky ones ...

Just now, Tom said:

Thanks! I really appreciate your support and your interest. We have found 98+% of all locations used partly with unbelievable analytical scrutiny, thus it is not unusual that the last 20 are the most tricky ones ...

Impressive!  And true.  

I’m sure most crew did what I did back then and tossed all the daily call sheets and colored script revisions.  A few years ago I found one in a bunch of random papers and posted it here.  It was only saved because it got misplaced.

When I think of all the work you and others put into, when every one of those locations was documented.  Crazy!  I suppose you enjoy the hunt though.  :)

By the way, I enjoyed you extensive palm tree post in another thread.  An old forum member had a spider story like you warned about. My wife’s the green thumb in this family, but she has a few palms in pots on our balconies, no winter protection needed in Southern California though.     

vor 12 Minuten schrieb pahonu:

Impressive!  And true.  

I’m sure most crew did what I did back then and tossed all the daily call sheets and colored script revisions.  A few years ago I found one in a bunch of random papers and posted it here.  It was only saved because it got misplaced.

When I think of all the work you and others put into, when every one of those locations was documented.  Crazy!  I suppose you enjoy the hunt though.  :)

By the way, I enjoyed you extensive palm tree post in another thread.  An old forum member had a spider story like you warned about. My wife’s the green thumb in this family, but she has a few palms in pots on our balconies, no winter protection needed in Southern California though.     

Yes, it´s also fun, but if you have invested hundreds of hours in searching one single location to no avail, it can be challenging as well. Most production notes I have by accident, because the production office threw them away when the series was over and one guy next door found them in the trash can.

Over the years we have found locations where there was not even one single proper clue, but we made it with creativity and persistence. Key problem is that so many areas have changed in Miami, thus Google search won´t work, we have to use black and white historic aerials from 1986 and 1980 instead. But it helps that I lived once in Miami and have a good feeling as to where to find certain houses, styles and power lines. I could not do the same for LA, for example, although I´ve been there many times, but I don´t feel my vibes there good enough.

If you like to read some of these hunts over time, feel free to visit the location section. There are many astonishing finds, some of them are a better read than any murder mystery investigation.:p

As for the palms: I started to love them in Miami 30 years ago. Since then, I´ve collected and germinated a lot of them from all over the world.

Edited by Tom

10 minutes ago, Tom said:

Yes, it´s also fun, but if you have invested hundreds of hours in searching one single location to no avail, it can be challenging as well. Most production notes I have by accident, because the production office threw them away when the series was over and one guy next door found them in the trash can.

Over the years we have found locations where there was not even one single proper clue, but we made it with creativity and persistence. Key problem is that so many areas have changed in Miami, thus Google search won´t work, we have to use black and white historic aerials from 1986 and 1980 instead. But it helps that I lived once in Miami and have a good feeling as to where to find certain houses, styles and power lines. I could not do the same for LA, for example, although I´ve been there many times, but I don´t feel my vibes there good enough.

If you like to read some of these hunts over time, feel free to visit the location section. There are many astonishing finds, some of them are a better read than any murder mystery investigation.:p

As for the palms: I started to love them in Miami 30 years ago. Since then, I´ve collected and germinated a lot of them from all over the world.

I peruse the locations section on occasion and have looked at Charlie Glides page also.  I was in Miami once with a buddy from college in 93, I think it was.  We were actually heading home from a trip to the Keys and didn’t have much time to explore.  I really want to see the Art Deco district in Miami Beach up close some day.  

The funny thing about locations in LA is that many of the same have been used constantly and repeatedly over the decades and you begin to recognize many without even really trying.  There are many neighborhoods and historic homes that I’ve seen in multiple series over the years that I recognize almost instantly.  I like to learn about the places architecturally and historically, and I’ll research them a bit, but I honestly don’t have the patience to hunt them down if they’re unknown. 

• 1 year later...

Warsaw Ballroom, circa 1980 (“Made For Each Other”, “The Rising Sun of Death”,  “Over The Line” ).

8DC66A3C-DD99-4B0B-A2A1-F0E73A07FDCC.jpeg

Edited by Matt5
  • Like 3

• 11 months later...

Just wanted to quickly add another data point for a scene that was filmed by the Anchor Hotel, a location numerous others have already noted earlier in this thread. (I like to do my own location spotting though, so found it independently from a little Googling before finding this site.)

When the Bag Lady tells Sonny that "You're also very lucky. There's the fellow who dropped that picture!" and the camera cuts to Cat walking down the street, he passes in front of a *very* unusually-named business with a visible street number of 1595, "Physiognomical Ladies Haircutting Salon".

Per page 108 of the 1969 Classified Buyers' Guide of the City of Miami Beach, Florida, "Physiognomical Ladies Haircutting Salon" was once located at 1595 Washington Ave, Miami Beach, so this scene was indeed filmed just a few short steps from the entrance to the Anchor Hotel at 1587 Washington, towards which he was heading.

https://dpanther.fiu.edu/sobek/content/FI/13/06/10/40/00001/FI13061040 - part 2.pdf

• Like 3