when did MV jump the shark for you?

Spyder

17 hours ago, Boca Raton said:

Season 5 feels DARK to me, entering the 90’s (which was dark even if pretentious) and leaving the 80’s dark, brooding was the way to go.

love Jan Hammer but Truman works better in the darker themes/feel/look of season 5.

it holds a special place because when I was 8 years old Season 5 is where I became a regular viewer.

If Jan was advised to go even darker with his cues, more than "Shadow In the Dark" and "Little Miss Dangerous" say he would have did it much better than Truman.

I found Tim Truman's background score music to be too much like arena rock, something out of a ballad and the guitar sounds were overstated and a tad corny. Jan's music had so much depth, like it was Vangelis or Tangerine Dream. We had a composer who was more than good enough to compose for Blade Runner.

We lost a musical genius who was capable of creating any sound for a particular scene no matter what it was, comical, dark, tense or exciting.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

This isn’t a jump the shark moment but to me, once Crockett & Tubbs are referred to as “old” a few times in season 3, then the series starting pointing downward.  The age references cane from both other characters as well as C & T themselves. They felt old to me. It’s crazy that they went from “young cops“ to absolutely burnt out old guys in such a short time. The burnt out angle is fine but you can’t sustain a series like that I don’t think.  I don’t come home tired from work to watch tired characters. 

It’s been referenced in this thread but I’ll never get the soft fog look the show adopted late in season 3. I love the crisp look of the earlier episodes. 

ADA1B4C5-2B5D-48C1-972F-BBA2384FEAF4.jpeg

Edited by Noggie
  • Like 1

I get having a certain look to set the atmosphere but this look was too common in season 4 & 5.  When they would go back to headquarters, it looked they couldn’t afford to cut all the lights on.

C0CAD220-A73C-4390-93C5-8D6EFA91936D.jpeg

5F338468-8981-4E3C-96E5-36ACC08669A0.jpeg

• Haha 1

I didn't like the kind of hazy look, like they smeared the camera lens and made everything look foggy and hazy in the 4th and 5th seasons. Speaking of jumping the shark, my girlfriend and I watched "Missing Hours" tonight. She said it was stupid, and looked at me a bunch of times through the episode. I kept doing the "HEYYYYY" that James Brown does lol.

Am 2.9.2020 um 00:38 schrieb Noggie:

This isn’t a jump the shark moment but to me, once Crockett & Tubbs are referred to as “old” a few times in season 3, then the series starting pointing downward.  The age references cane from both other characters as well as C & T themselves. They felt old to me. It’s crazy that they went from “young cops“ to absolutely burnt out old guys in such a short time. 

Old is a relative thing but if you are a Vice cop working undercover dealing with Suspects being 15 year olds (Good collar), 13 year olds (Child’s Play) or 19 year olds (Miami Squeeze) everybody older than 25 looks old. And Crockett had already around ten years of UC in the Pilot, so he was around 35 at that time as was Tubbs. 

so I don’t see any series deterioration here but a general trend that happened in reality back then that suspects got younger and younger and police struggled to find appropriate counter tactics as there are no 18 year old UC cops. UC juvenile cop Ramirez in Good collar was just 23 on his first assignment and Tubbs reacted like he was a baby.

• Like 2

On 9/3/2020 at 3:21 AM, Tom said:

Old is a relative thing but if you are a Vice cop working undercover dealing with Suspects being 15 year olds (Good collar), 13 year olds (Child’s Play) or 19 year olds (Miami Squeeze) everybody older than 25 looks old. And Crockett had already around ten years of UC in the Pilot, so he was around 35 at that time as was Tubbs. 

so I don’t see any series deterioration here but a general trend that happened in reality back then that suspects got younger and younger and police struggled to find appropriate counter tactics as there are no 18 year old UC cops. UC juvenile cop Ramirez in Good collar was just 23 on his first assignment and Tubbs reacted like he was a baby.

Sonny couldn't have had more than 8 years as UC at the time of the pilot if anything we're shown in the Stone episodes is to have meaning. The pilot script does place his age at about 35, though. UC tends to be something given to an experienced (read older) officer unless it's a one-off or something like that. Any kind of long-term operation is going to take skills a rookie simply isn't going to have (Crockett could have been an exception if he did some UC during his second tour in Vietnam, but that would have been a different kind of UC in any case). You always saw the perp age gap, depending of course on what level of an organization (or type of perp) you were going after.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2020 at 4:52 PM, Noggie said:

More lighting comparison.  Pay that light bill!!

13E440FF-DDA9-4319-9ADD-721FD8A6CB93.jpeg

7A3EDA44-88B3-4587-AD88-145BEF464B1F.jpeg

I wouldn't say season 4, this screenshot is at the back end of season 4 and the lighting looks no different than 1-3. 

Untitled.png.602648b49242c67a985491f2473a6df8.png

The lack of lighting was visually depressing and dull in season 5. It served no purpose and was unnecessary. 

Marty's office in the middle of the day "Borrasca" -

Untitled.png

Edited by RedDragon86

On 9/17/2020 at 12:45 PM, RedDragon86 said:

I wouldn't say season 4, this screenshot is at the back end of season 4 and the lighting looks no different than 1-3. 

Untitled.png.602648b49242c67a985491f2473a6df8.png

The lack of lighting was visually depressing and dull in season 5. It served no purpose and was unnecessary. 

Marty's office in the middle of the day "Borrasca" -

Untitled.png

Season 5 had really dark sets like in “Heart of Night”.

I think it’s somewhere in season 4 for me. 

As I’ve mentioned before, I watch the episodes in order, one complete episode per night (then go to sleep :) ) religiously, BUT I skip seasons 4 and 5 every other time. Although there a few strong episodes in the last two seasons, I find myself down and out with watching the show every night if I keep the last two seasons in the same rotation as the first three. 

Usually, after that “skip” I‘m ready to see the last two seasons again (and remind myself why I skip them to start with :p )

It may seem strange, but it’s kept me interested and watching all these years. Maybe someone else could try this, too. 

I might add that every time the pilot rolls around, I’m more excited about what’s to come 

EVERY...

SINGLE...

TIME!

:cool:

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Dadrian said:

I think it’s somewhere in season 4 for me. 

As I’ve mentioned before, I watch the episodes in order, one complete episode per night (then go to sleep :) ) religiously, BUT I skip seasons 4 and 5 every other time. Although there a few strong episodes in the last two seasons, I find myself down and out with watching the show every night if I keep the last two seasons in the same rotation as the first three. 

Usually, after that “skip” I‘m ready to see the last two seasons again (and remind myself why I skip them to start with :p )

It may seem strange, but it’s kept me interested and watching all these years. Maybe someone else could try this, too. 

I might add that every time the pilot rolls around, I’m more excited about what’s to come 

EVERY...

SINGLE...

TIME!

:cool:

Season 4 is such a mixed bag and all those light greys. Some great episodes but I will never say anything bad about our show but some poor writing too.

vor einer Stunde schrieb Matt5:

Season 4 is such a mixed bag and all those light greys. Some great episodes but I will never say anything bad about our show but some poor writing too.

I think the biggest clue of what has happened at that time of the series is what cast&crew stated in late 87 around the time the Missing hours script was filmed: they said to reporters that the work between writers in LA and production in Miami has become bumpy.

I mean, you can work as hard as you want on site in Miami, if they send you shitty scripts or work them over 20 times in 5 days before shooting (as happened with Amen..send money for example, just see the list of participating writers and revision dates on the script), nobody will be able to deliver great product out of it. And Amen...send money was the first episode to be filmed with plenty of time over the season break to have a package of 3-4 good balanced scripts on hand that everybody else (casting, location department, etc.) can well prepare for instead of fudging 10 people´s ideas together last minute. I cannot imagine any situation where more than 3-4 individuals working on a script will make it better, especially when they add and omit scenes all the time and you have to start and stop preparation on finding locations, cast 50 extras, provide costumes, build sets, etc. on a daily basis. They must have had a huge paper waste on their printers (at that time they had to distribute every script change on hard copy!) let alone budget tracking issues.

I always wondered anyway how many crew members from locations, props and carpentry went nuts and quit their jobs in season 4 and 5 on these crazy last minute script alterations.

Edited by Tom

I always wonder how far in advance they planned out season 4. Obviously there were issues with scripts so at one point did the amnesia idea pop up. Did they think it would rejuvenate the show? How far ahead we’re they planning?  Always wonder about that. 

I missed a chunk of season 4 & 5 on the first run.  I’m actually watching 4 now.  It fun to watch episodes I don’t have memorized! 

Am 5.9.2020 um 17:52 schrieb Noggie:

More lighting comparison.  Pay that light bill!!

13E440FF-DDA9-4319-9ADD-721FD8A6CB93.jpeg

7A3EDA44-88B3-4587-AD88-145BEF464B1F.jpeg

That was not the producers fault but this is due to a wrong gamma shift on the Universal HD master used for all previous international DVD/BR releases.

Shortly a new BR release will be published that corrected that for the first time and brings back the original colors and lightning as filmed originally.