when did MV jump the shark for you?

Spyder

On 10/1/2018 at 5:53 AM, Miller Hailiffe said:

Missing hours was terrible but it gave me a chance to see trudy in her tight outfits, damn she was gorgeous

But the amnesia episodes where crockett believes hes burnett were boring pieces of shit, even his sunglasses sucked

In my tombstone i would engrave "" the amnesia episodes where crockett believes hes burnett were boring pieces of shit". I couldnt agree more with ya!

On 1/21/2018 at 11:39 AM, Dadrian said:

I agree! S5 would not not work with Jan’s feel. It would have been interesting to see how much of a chameleon he could have been in that direction, though. Think about his amazing score for “Death and the Lady”. 

I didnt miss JH when he left. But i must say i would miss if the mv theme would be gone. 

I think TT did a good (though limited) job if compared with Jan´s quality. After all...i knew Tim is on charge when every music on Vice is almost always like: "woooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaawwwwwnnnnnnn"....

Edited by Mr. Calderon

"The Big Thaw" followed by "Missing Hours", which I'm sure noooobody has picked before.;)  Once "Bullet for Crockett" came along I realized that the script supply must be getting sparse, as this seems to be a common tactic in television of having the "reminiscing show" to keep churning out episodes.  I do like "Bullet for Crockett" however. 

2 hours ago, Mr. Vigilante said:

"The Big Thaw" followed by "Missing Hours", which I'm sure noooobody has picked before.;)  Once "Bullet for Crockett" came along I realized that the script supply must be getting sparse, as this seems to be a common tactic in television of having the "reminiscing show" to keep churning out episodes.  I do like "Bullet for Crockett" however. 

I appreciated "Bullet for Crockett", too, although I think I would have chosen a few other scenes for the flashbacks. Also, they needed a better medical advisor. The hospital scenes were a mess!

Anyway, I think the Fourth and Fifth season's quality was spotty-some good episodes followed by atrocious ones. With that in mind, I guess it's hard to say when MV jumped the shark for me. I hated the two you mentioned, but loved the Burnett Arc. (Sorry for those who hated it, but I considered those episodes pure entertainment).

Season 5's Victims of Circumstance, Miracle Man and Leap of Faith totally lost me, so I guess I'll say that's when I threw up my hands and gave up!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/21/2018 at 4:16 PM, Boca Raton said:

Death and the Lady is my fav episode of the entire series- weird the fact that I dislike season 4 (dislike may be a strong word)...

as for your son avoiding Season 4&5 I think it’s a mistake.

I’m 35 and I think 4&5 can appeal to younger people more...albeit 5 has ridiculous costumes...thank god Nirvana came and made that shit obsolete 

Yeah, that episode is incredible. It's one of those instances where literally everything about it works.

I agree about 4 & 5 appealing to younger people. I'm 20 myself and I find season 4 to be the most entertaining of all the seasons. Season 5 is slightly inconsistent but there's still some great stuff.

• Like 1

Looking back, it's easy to point out Missing Hours as that moment when things really went awry, but I didn't know it at the time. It was more like a slow degeneration of the program during the fourth season (although--like some here have already mentioned--the early part of the 4th season really had some great episodes).

For the first three seasons of Vice, the program always felt more like a weekly movie than a TV series. During the fourth season it started to feel like a normal TV series, with the city of Miami no longer a major character. 

But looking back to those days, at the time I realized the show was no longer salvageable during the early part of the 5th season. It was like watching a loved one suffer on life support--the plug needed to be pulled. That was a sad realization for me at the time. 

• Administrators

Said it before and I'll say it again.  When Jan Hammer left. ;(

• Like 2

The moment when Sonny says "its over"

There is something metaphorical about the scene. Ends with a funeral, lyrics telling to "turn it off if you want to"

Its kind of hinting that Michael Mann is saying that this won't be the same again.

After season 2 it is good television but it wasn't unique and special anymore.

Edited by RedDragon86
  • Like 6

To me it was after season 2 ended. Sons and Lovers in hindsight may have been the perfect ending to that era of Vice and as a lead-in into a different Miami Vice moving forward. With the darker tones of season 3, Sonny’s new look and just the overall feeling of season 3, to me it signaled the end of what Miami Vice was in its first 2 seasons.

Clearly the holdout did something to DJ and it was clearly reflected in his character whether by choice or not. A darker more guarded and cynical Crockett appeared and IMO it clashed with Tubbs, whereas season 1 & 2 they complemented each other like no 2 other partners from a cop TV show. Don’t get me wrong there were some excellent episodes moving forward, and at times that old spark was back, but it was too few and too far in between. The series moving forward lacked that overall panoramic picture that season 1 and 2 painted.

One could point to just about any episode from season 3 and beyond and say, there, that’s where the show jumped the shark. However to me it wasn’t so much a particular point, but a slow burn downhill with some high points in between.

• Like 3

I'm hearing the reasons S3 is bad (which I don't agree with) is because 1) Sonny turns into a devil-may-care, happy-go lucky detective and 2) Sonny becomes a much darker, serious cop who suddenly doesn't jibe with his partner Tubbs. Which is it? 

2 hours ago, Bren10 said:

I'm hearing the reasons S3 is bad (which I don't agree with) is because 1) Sonny turns into a devil-may-care, happy-go lucky detective and 2) Sonny becomes a much darker, serious cop who suddenly doesn't jibe with his partner Tubbs. Which is it? 

The only time I got a different vibe from Sonny was season 5, which may or may not have reflected DJ's actual mood at the time.  I didn't mind his shift as it was well-warranted after all the Burnett mess.

• Like 1

Let's face it...there were terrible moments in ALL five seasons. Vice was, after all, predicated on style and visuals, which meant other things had to suffer. In my view it was continuity, which comes down to producers and the overall direction from above. If the writing suffered, it was because lesser-quality scripts were being accepted, or maybe because the visuals were no longer enough to hide the spotty writing.

If we're going to be pressed into picking one moment, it was when they killed Larry off and didn't follow it up with at least one episode showing tension between Sonny and Stan. That we didn't see that until the last season says something about how little the team cared about that kind of thing.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Bren10 said:

Don approach to his character was different in season 1&2. He was much more laid back, charming and brooding, sort of like Steve McQueen in Bullitt.

Season 3&4 his character is full of himself, cocky. Probably to do with his pay rise, stardom and albums he is making.

In 5 he just looks bored, his character wasn't burnt out the show was, and he knew it.

• Like 1

Season 3 of "Miami Vice", although I feel has the best storylines of any season, also became a bit clinical, matter-of-fact, and cold around the heart (a prelude to Dick Wolf's "Law & Order" series, if you ask me). To remedy this, the scripts of Season 4 tried to hard at times to bring back the lightheartedness, style, and flair of the first two seasons, and the show suffered in quality (I actually liked Season 4 episodes such as "Amen...Send Money", "The Big Thaw", and The Cows of October", though I admit they are oddball. "Missing Time"? Well, I think that can be explained by "Unsolved Mysteries" being a lead-in in that era of Vice and having a Missing Time segment; I think NBC was trying some continuity there, and Vice became a guinea pig of sorts).

Sure, I recognize that Don Johnson had a wandering eye and wanted to do films (to be fair, he toiled in the business FOREVER, with many failed TV pilots and little film work, before Vice happened, so he wanted to take the opportunity he had), but I don't think his performance was affected; I definitely think it was tone which really was the difference in the show (I know things have been said about Edward James Olmos wanting to move on as well, but he had a non-exclusive contract and did "Stand and Deliver" while Vice was on, so I don't think the same circumstances apply to him as they did Johnson).

• Like 1

On 3/5/2020 at 12:47 PM, RedDragon86 said:

The moment when Sonny says "its over"

There is something metaphorical about the scene. Ends with a funeral, lyrics telling to "turn it off if you want to"

Its kind of hinting that Michael Mann is saying that this won't be the same again.

After season 2 it is good television but it wasn't unique and special anymore.

Wow!  I never thought about this even though I always considered S1/S2 the only "real" Miami Vice.  I wish I could upvote this post twice. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 3/4/2020 at 3:50 PM, IzzyFan99 said:

Yeah, that episode is incredible. It's one of those instances where literally everything about it works.

I agree about 4 & 5 appealing to younger people. I'm 20 myself and I find season 4 to be the most entertaining of all the seasons. Season 5 is slightly inconsistent but there's still some great stuff.

Season 4 had too much going on...it’s cartoony at times.

if MV kept going like seasons 1&2 it wouldn’t work.

seaseon 5 is great imo a step up from 4.

maybe I like 5 so much because it’s the only season I vividly remember watching while it was on TV - I was too young for the previous seasons. I just turned 8 then a few months later Vice was cancelled.

Edited by Boca Raton

Anyone notice they re-used the same close-up of PMT's face? Before Don hands him the card, and the final shot before the credits.

On 5/15/2020 at 9:10 PM, Boca Raton said:

Season 4 had too much going on...it’s cartoony at times.

if MV kept going like seasons 1&2 it wouldn’t work.

seaseon 5 is great imo a step up from 4.

maybe I like 5 so much because it’s the only season I vividly remember watching while it was on TV - I was too young for the previous seasons. I just turned 8 then a few months later Vice was cancelled.

Why? I mean its not like the show got even better. Granted season 3 is very watchable and the most of the stories are excellent but season 4 is more or less a write off, that season bombed and season 5 feels tired.

Edited by RedDragon86

• 3 weeks later...

Where they contractually obligated to do season 4 and 5? It's weird they kept going after pretty much everyone lost interest in the show.

..or maybe it was the normal in the 80s to milk successful shows dry until they were cancelled?

You go as long as you can earn money with it. And even if you are 35th in US ratings as in season 4 you can still have a sufficient audience number in the US and abroad-Vice was sold to 50+ countries! And you don’t stop after three seasons as you needed 100 episodes as a rule of thumb for successful syndication which recoups production cost as happened in 89 when they sold it to USA network. 

• Like 3

I think MV ended at the perfect time, with the 80s
After season 3, I really didn't like the stories, the music and the clothes, it was just not the same in terms of style and colors and everything Michael Mann had in mind in the beginning

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/20/2020 at 8:59 AM, RedDragon86 said:

Why? I mean its not like the show got even better. Granted season 3 is very watchable and the most of the stories are excellent but season 4 is more or less a write off, that season bombed and season 5 feels tired.

Season 5 feels DARK to me, entering the 90’s (which was dark even if pretentious) and leaving the 80’s dark, brooding was the way to go.

love Jan Hammer but Truman works better in the darker themes/feel/look of season 5.

it holds a special place because when I was 8 years old Season 5 is where I became a regular viewer.

I don’t think Vice ever “jumped the shark”. The show was always original and had quite a few different turns. Some episodes were quite distinct and strange from the previous episodes, but I don’t think it ever lost it’s cool. Even Season 1 “Made for Each Other” was quite comical and light-hearted from the previous episodes. Then you get really dark and strange with “Out Where the Buses Don’t Run” and “Shadow in the Dark”... And even “Missing Hours.”

Please do keep in mind that “Missing Hours” was the first full episode I saw. :)

• Like 1