Little Prince - sad news for sleuths

CarolineUK

My Letter: Dear Sir or Madam: The TV show Burn Notice has shown this great old home at 42 Star Island to the world. The season' date=' episode name, and DVD counter numbers are included below. Burn Notice shows the mansion in numerous between the scenes aerial views of spectacular Miami scenery. See Season One’s ‘Loose Ends’ from 53:55 to 53:58 and from 56:48 to 56:41. The house can be seen again in Season Two’s ‘Rough Seas’ from 16:30 to 16:33, Season Four’s ‘Hot Properties’ from 11:01 to 11:02, and in Season Five’s ‘Square One’ from 19:57 to 19:58. It may appear in other episodes and scenes, but these are the ones I have found. I'll bet it also shows up in season seven, yet to be released.Of course the precedent setting TV show Miami Vice featured the home in the first season episode “Little Prince.†It included rare inside views. I'm sure you know just how important Miami Vice was to the Beach. Hopefully you find this informative and useful information. It shows just how visually stunning this home is to professional film makers. They recognize it as representative of the beauty of Miami Beach, and thanks to this publicity, so do millions of viewers around the world.Good luck in your efforts to save it.[u']The response:Dear Jim,Thank you for taking the time to share this information with us. I will be sure to share it with our followers and with the Commissioners who will eventually be voting on whether to designate the home as historic. It surely has been a symbol of Miami Beach for many generations, and we hope it will continue to be for many more to come.Best,Daniel Ciraldo

Good job.

My Letter: Dear Sir or Madam: The TV show Burn Notice has shown this great old home at 42 Star Island to the world. The season' date=' episode name, and DVD counter numbers are included below. Burn Notice shows the mansion in numerous between the scenes aerial views of spectacular Miami scenery. See Season One’s ‘Loose Ends’ from 53:55 to 53:58 and from 56:48 to 56:41. The house can be seen again in Season Two’s ‘Rough Seas’ from 16:30 to 16:33, Season Four’s ‘Hot Properties’ from 11:01 to 11:02, and in Season Five’s ‘Square One’ from 19:57 to 19:58. It may appear in other episodes and scenes, but these are the ones I have found. I'll bet it also shows up in season seven, yet to be released.Of course the precedent setting TV show Miami Vice featured the home in the first season episode “Little Prince.†It included rare inside views. I'm sure you know just how important Miami Vice was to the Beach. Hopefully you find this informative and useful information. It shows just how visually stunning this home is to professional film makers. They recognize it as representative of the beauty of Miami Beach, and thanks to this publicity, so do millions of viewers around the world.Good luck in your efforts to save it.[u']The response:Dear Jim,Thank you for taking the time to share this information with us. I will be sure to share it with our followers and with the Commissioners who will eventually be voting on whether to designate the home as historic. It surely has been a symbol of Miami Beach for many generations, and we hope it will continue to be for many more to come.Best,Daniel Ciraldo

Great , Jim, such a strong relevant letter - i will help also :shout::D

Good luck with this and I mean that in a nice way, wonder if this back in 1945 could have saved that towers thing they used in the great gatsby film recently.

Thanks guys. Being a fatalist, I believe the best hope of preserving the house lies with the residents of Star Island. From what I read they are up-in-arms about the potential destruction of the "signature house" on Star Island. Undoubtedly they all have money, but some probably have influence in city hall. What may help also is the commissioners concern about the potential fallout if they don't declare it "historic." All politicians pay attention to votes and shy away from unfavorable publicity.

Great job' date=' Jim ! :thumbsup:[/quote']I am watching this case carefully along with Jim - I was at Star Island last month :shout::D

• 2 weeks later...

To keep everyone up to date with how the fight to save the Little Prince House is going:The current owners were recently offered $12 million by a local businessman who wanted to restore and preserve the house. The owners turned the offer down despite the fact that they only paid $7 million for the house and would have made a profit. They also initiated a lawsuit against the city for interfering with their property rights.Despite this reprehensible behavior, there is good news. Just received the email quoted below. The fight goes on. If you sent an email many thanks, but if you have not, show your support by emailing Miami Design Preservation League info@savemiamibeach.org. "YOU HELPED SAVE THIS HOUSEA big thank you for writing to the Miami Beach City Commission. The result was a vote of 5-2 to allow the preservation process continue for the designation of 42 Star Island Drive as an historic site. This was an important win for MDPL for two reasons. It will allow the Historic Preservation Board to properly consider the merits of designation. If they decide to approve the designation, the proposal goes to the Planning Board and back to the Commission for approval. So this vote allowed the fight to continue. But another important and strategic objective was also accomplished. We focused the Commission's attention on the very serious epidemic of the demolition of scores of historic homes on Miami Beach and the threat to the character of our neighborhoods. Almost every commissioner voiced support for a serious examination of our laws to prevent this wholesale change in Miami Beach's residential neighborhoods. Now, our task is to turn those words into action. Over 70 emails were sent and the Commission Chamber was filled with supporters of preservation. I know those numbers impressed the commissioners and certainly swayed some votes. With your help, we will continue the hard work of preserving Miami Beach's wonderful historic and architectural heritage. Many thanks for your continued support. All the best, Charlie Urstadt/Chair Miami Design Preservation LeagueJack Johnson/Chair Miami Community Development CorpMichael Kinerk/Chair Emeritus MDPLGeorge Neary/Resident"

"YOU HELPED SAVE THIS HOUSEA big thank you for writing to the Miami Beach City Commission. The result was a vote of 5-2 to allow the preservation process continue for the designation of 42 Star Island Drive as an historic site. This was an important win for MDPL for two reasons. It will allow the Historic Preservation Board to properly consider the merits of designation. If they decide to approve the designation, the proposal goes to the Planning Board and back to the Commission for approval. So this vote allowed the fight to continue. But another important and strategic objective was also accomplished. We focused the Commission's attention on the very serious epidemic of the demolition of scores of historic homes on Miami Beach and the threat to the character of our neighborhoods. Almost every commissioner voiced support for a serious examination of our laws to prevent this wholesale change in Miami Beach's residential neighborhoods. Now, our task is to turn those words into action. Over 70 emails were sent and the Commission Chamber was filled with supporters of preservation. I know those numbers impressed the commissioners and certainly swayed some votes. With your help, we will continue the hard work of preserving Miami Beach's wonderful historic and architectural heritage. Many thanks for your continued support. All the best, Charlie Urstadt/Chair Miami Design Preservation LeagueJack Johnson/Chair Miami Community Development CorpMichael Kinerk/Chair Emeritus MDPLGeorge Neary/Resident"

have you guys tried buying the conservation easement from them or the former owners? it basically forces them to leave the home alone and they cant screw with itI learned that this is how they saved the cabins up at moosehead lake in Maine and a place In Penn

have you guys tried buying the conservation easement from them or the former owners? it basically forces them to leave the home alone and they cant screw with itI learned that this is how they saved the cabins up at moosehead lake in Maine and a place In Penn

Thanks Kavinsky. They have probably thought of this but I'll pass it on to the MDPL folks. It could be helpful. By the way if anyone wants to express their support for saving the house' date=' the correct email is [email']info@savemiamibeach.org

• 5 months later...
Dear Petition Signer, Thank you for supporting our efforts to save 42 Star Island from demolition. We have 2 important updates for Miami Beach residents and voters. Please read on for more information. This Tuesday November 19th - Miami Beach Planning Board meeting regarding 42 Star Island Please join us this Tuesday at 5pm to support the Planning Board hearing regarding 42 Star Island. We need supporters to speak in favor of designating the home as a local historic site. The location is Miami Beach City Hall, 3rd Floor Commissioner Chambers. Run-Off Election - Vote Sunday and Tuesday This is an important election for preservation. We need to make sure that the developers do not gain more control of the Commission seats - this could make things worse than they already are. For this reason, we are asking you to please support the following candidates: Micky Steinberg Group 1, Jorge Exposito Group 2, and Matti Bower Group 3. Please see below for information on voting times and locations: Early Voting: Sunday, November 17 9:00 AM to 7:00 PM (At City Hall and North Shore Branch Library) ELECTION DAY: TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 19, 2013 7:00 AM - 7:00 P.M. (At assigned polling place) Thank you again for your ongoing support of preservation in Miami Beach! -Daniel Ciraldo

Dear Petition Signer" data-date="Thank you for supporting our efforts to save 42 Star Island from demolition. We have 2 important updates for Miami Beach residents and voters. Please read on for more information.[/FONT">

This Tuesday November 19th - Miami Beach Planning Board meeting regarding 42 Star IslandPlease join us this Tuesday at 5pm to support the Planning Board hearing regarding 42 Star Island. We need supporters to speak in favor of designating the home as a local historic site. The location is Miami Beach City Hall, 3rd Floor Commissioner Chambers.Run-Off Election - Vote Sunday and TuesdayThis is an important election for preservation. We need to make sure that the developers do not gain more control of the Commission seats - this could make things worse than they already are. For this reason, we are asking you to please support the following candidates: Micky Steinberg Group 1, Jorge Exposito Group 2, and Matti Bower Group 3. Please see below for information on voting times and locations:Early Voting:Sunday, November 179:00 AM to 7:00 PM(At City Hall and North Shore Branch Library)ELECTION DAY:TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 19, 20137:00 AM - 7:00 P.M.(At assigned polling place)Thank you again for your ongoing support of preservation in Miami Beach!-Daniel Ciraldo
Great information :):D:thumbsup:

• 1 year later...
  • Administrators

How could they just demolish a building of such historical significance? That's plain barbarity.

Welcome to Miami.

• 2 months later...

Any body ever see this website?  http://www.local10.com/news/star-island-mansion-recommended-for-historic-preservation/21869012

It has original drawings of 42 Star Island by the architect Walter Degarmo.

I have some time off for Spring Break and I was thinking I might start a little project...namely using Google SketchUp to make a 3D model of the property.

The home is gone now.  In fact the McMansion replacing it is half complete, but I can "save" it in this little way.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Some great shots of Collins at 20th Street in the teaser - and of the Ferrari on Ocean Drive then an unknown cafe top location - this is a really great shot taken behind a cafe top counter looking to the ferrari driving down a street . At first I thought this could be Washington Ave but now Im thinking downtown .

:D

I read some of the media articles on this house and it's a damn shame they eventually demolished it. The owners of the property, Lisa Hochstein and her doctor husband, obviously care less how people felt about this and she went so far to say they needed to demolish the home because it was "structurally unsafe". Talk about a pathetic excuse. She went on to berate those who tried to establish the home as a historical landmark by saying "Those historical people like to waste time", (or words to that effect) referring to their efforts to block the home's destruction. Really illustrates what some people are all about anymore.

Oh well, it's all done and over with and another home now sits where it once stood  ;( 

Terrible really - shouldnt be allowed  :D

• 5 months later...

Any body ever see this website?  http://www.local10.com/news/star-island-mansion-recommended-for-historic-preservation/21869012

It has original drawings of 42 Star Island by the architect Walter Degarmo.

I have some time off for Spring Break and I was thinking I might start a little project...namely using Google SketchUp to make a 3D model of the property.

The home is gone now.  In fact the McMansion replacing it is half complete, but I can "save" it in this little way.

Just saw Little Prince and thought of this posting.  I'm quoting myself here.  Is that weird?  Anyway, after much longer than I thought it would take, I have a basic 3-D model of the home and some rendered pictures.  How do I show them here?

Edited by pahonu