Cop shows trying to copy MV?

SonnyCrockettBurnett01

Is copy the right word? Influenced would be more accurate. Miami Vice changed TV and how it's filmed. Even shows that were on before Miami Vice and still running were influenced by MV. For a good example check out the Magnum P.I. episode "Death and Taxes"  It came out in 86 amid the Miami Vice culture craze. And you can clearly see MV's influence on the mood of the show.

yeah your right I remember that episodes end montage with Phil Collin's Mama Running in the background, and hell and from that I bet Dan Houser felt Compelled to put that on the classic rock station of GTA 4

along with the Definitely Miami end track, which I remember confused a few of the youngsters as to why it was on a classic rock station with Cry (fair point with the second one but it falls under the purview of who cares, its awesome lol)

plus the I dont care anymore scene of GTA 5.

and also I remember the Driver series tried some of that, with songs like Gimmie danger and a few others.

also on that note with the music with the latest game watch dogs I was watching part of a playthrough and I just so happened to have Al Greens how to mend a broken heart on for one of the end scenes with the family, where he says goodbye to them and it surprisingly fit

despite it not being taylored to scene, kinda confirming that the way of filming and making the scene first and then putting a song to it latter that Michael Mann did does actually work, and sometimes in unexpected ways.

much like I'm sure Quentin Tarantino found out, I mean how many classic songs got revived and rejuvinated from his films alone?

Edited by Kavinsky

• Administrators

It's a known fact that the GTA series was heavily inspired by Miami Vice. I wonder if they'll release a Miami Vice/80s update for GTA Online in September to celebrate the 30th anniversary.

Edited by SL1DE
  • Like 1

It's a known fact that the GTA series was heavily inspired by Miami Vice. I wonder if they'll release a Miami Vice/80s update for GTA Online in September to celebrate the 30th anniversary.

I hope they do - great idea  :D

I actually preferred the American version, maybe it's because it was the one I saw first.

I don't think American Football was ever referenced, it was mostly basketball.

Well technically the British version was the ORIGINAL, thus the plotlines were British born. The Americans did what they do best.......COPY, because they can't think of anything original?

The reference to sports was the idea of sport corruption as in the British version just as the copied American version.

On another note...I am a HUGE fan of "The Prisoner" When this series came out it was ground breaking! It discussed the cold war and surveillance and futuristic stuff and it kept you on the edge of your seat for seventeen episodes as the plots premise was not revealed until the final 18th episode. This was ground breaking television in the 1960's.

HBO copied it and changed the plotline to a desert as well as the whole premise to a drug induced "trip" I painstakingly watched hoping it would get better, but it was a bitter disappointment!

The people in power have to STOP making RE-MAKES!!!!!! Leave well enough alone!

I actually preferred the American version, maybe it's because it was the one I saw first.

I don't think American Football was ever referenced, it was mostly basketball.

Well technically the British version was the ORIGINAL, thus the plotlines were British born. The Americans did what they do best.......COPY, because they can't think of anything original?

The reference to sports was the idea of sport corruption as in the British version just as the copied American version.

On another note...I am a HUGE fan of "The Prisoner" When this series came out it was ground breaking! It discussed the cold war and surveillance and futuristic stuff and it kept you on the edge of your seat for seventeen episodes as the plots premise was not revealed until the final 18th episode. This was ground breaking television in the 1960's.

HBO copied it and changed the plotline to a desert as well as the whole premise to a drug induced "trip" I painstakingly watched hoping it would get better, but it was a bitter disappointment!

The people in power have to STOP making RE-MAKES!!!!!! Leave well enough alone!

• 10 months later...

Though this show was actually a predecessor to Vice, I always thought Starsky and Hutch was the first genuine buddy cop show, where the 2 detective partners were "more than friends.. we're partners" ala a line in Vice. I think this show launched the buddy cop concept that carried over into Vice and now,  in many ways, I have a new found appreciation for Starsky and Hutch, now on reruns, than I did way back when . Also loved the cool Red and white striped Ford Gran Torino.

They also had Huggy Bear (Antonio Fargas) as their informant, but really became more of a 3rd wheel in the show. Fargas later appeared in the Burnett arc of Vice.

Edited by Sonny-Burnett

That would be amazing! 

Though this show was actually a predecessor to Vice, I always thought Starsky and Hutch was the first genuine buddy cop show, where the 2 detective partners were "more than friends.. we're partners" ala a line in Vice. I think this show launched the buddy cop concept that carried over into Vice and now,  in many ways, I have a new found appreciation for Starsky and Hutch, now on reruns, than I did way back when . Also loved the cool Red and white striped Ford Gran Torino.

They also had Huggy Bear (Antonio Fargas) as their informant, but really became more of a 3rd wheel in the show. Fargas later appeared in the Burnett arc of Vice.

Yes I always liked S&H. I have the first four seasons and its cool to see the old cars and clothes.

I think your right about them being more than just partners as actual friends. Dragnet was a buddy type show but it was rather cold and sterile compared to S&H.

I was in Georgia some time ago looking at a Daytona, and when I went into the garage the guy had the original S&H vehicle from season 1. It had the bench seat. They changed that to bucket seats in season 2 as the guys were sliding back and forth on the bench seats in hard corners! hahahahaha

This guy also had two others that he was restoring and painted them the same. He had four all together along with the original one.

100_0050_zpsuje1mxvm.jpg

Startsky_zpsuwcvk4kc.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yes I always liked S&H. I have the first four seasons and its cool to see the old cars and clothes.

I think your right about them being more than just partners as actual friends. Dragnet was a buddy type show but it was rather cold and sterile compared to S&H.

I was in Georgia some time ago looking at a Daytona, and when I went into the garage the guy had the original S&H vehicle from season 1. It had the bench seat. They changed that to bucket seats in season 2 as the guys were sliding back and forth on the bench seats in hard corners! hahahahaha

This guy also had two others that he was restoring and painted them the same. He had four all together along with the original one.

100_0050_zpsuje1mxvm.jpg

Startsky_zpsuwcvk4kc.jpg

Must be nice to have money and to be able to collect the originals

• Like 1

Did anyone watch the TV pilot for Hollywood Confidential (starring Eddie J)? I thought it was very Vice-like, and had potential.

we've got a starsky and hutch car here in MA actually, a clone most likely, but a good one, and it shows up occasionally on the street, and at the local 99, also stinger was the sticker still on the dash? the Do not exceed 50 mph one?

and with how badly he drove those cars (he openly admited to trying to kill them on the show, as he hated the thing and wanted to go with a gen 2 camaro)

I wonder what the repair bill was on those, also the reason for the sticker was that under cali law you couldnt modify the motor on a new car back then, so to get around it to get some more acceleration out of them they changed the gearing, and if you went over that speed the engine would blow.

as it did once, hence the addition of the sticker on the dash for when they were switching cars so they wouldnt get caught out by it

also I've had this saved for awhile, a proper version of the one they did at the end of the movie

note the white mark on one of the tires at the start, probably from ramming it into a sidewalk, and the state of the bumper in some scenes.

and it's still kind of funny to think that David Soul was the corrupt cop in magnum force who shot darma's father lol this is for Darma and Greg you bastard!

Edited by Kavinsky

• 1 month later...

Anybody remember THE INSIDERS on abc from around 1985? I think I glanced at an episode because it look to be a complete Vice clone. (Apparently it wasn't but it looked like it on the surface.)

Anybody remember THE INSIDERS on abc from around 1985? I think I glanced at an episode because it look to be a complete Vice clone. (Apparently it wasn't but it looked like it on the surface.)

I remember it well.  I think the ad campaign on ABC even had a Phil Collins or Genesis song.  Can't remember the song.  I know how it goes...Collins sings, "And a BANG BANG BANG!"

I also seem to remember the two would be Crockett and Tubbs wannabes running down Hollywood Blvd.  Somehting like that.  I believe I gave it a go, but it was just no Miami Vice and I gave up quickly.

Nash Bridges. This show was like Miami Vice of the 90's. The time have changed and you had crappy rap music, black gangsters with chains, awful wardrobe, but NB had similar camera effects, plots and characters to Vice.

Nash Bridges was like Sonny Crockett just ten years older. They both loved convertible sports cars and were by the book cop. Nash personal life isn't as balanced as his professional life similar to Crockett. Nash shares a playful love/hate relationship with Caitlin Cross. Crockett shared an edgier, more intense with Caitlin Davies. They both were divorced.

Harvey Leek and Evan Cortez were just like Switek and Zito. Harvey Leek was die-hard fan of Grateful Dead (Switek was huge fan of Elvis Presley), Switek owned turquoise 1961 Ford Thunderbird convertible and Harvey owned '72 Ford Ranchero. They were both experts in surveillance of all kinds. Harvey performed surveillance duties with Evan Cortez just like Stan with Larry. Switek never really recovered from his partner's death as well as Harvey after Evan death.

Edited by Crockettt