D Day

miamijimf

Thanks Matt.  He can almost fit into his 1944 Eisenhower jacket, that's quite an accomplishment as well.

• Like 1

Thanks Matt.  He can almost fit into his 1944 Eisenhower jacket, that's quite an accomplishment as well.

Very true - a great picture .

Very true - a great picture  :fireworks:

Allegedly this was the first soldier captured in Normandy.The story is he is a Korean who was put into the Japanese army,captured by the Soviets,fought with the Soviets,captured by the Germans,and fought in the Wehrmacht.

Eingefügtes Bild

In South Korea they based a movie on that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeEQD1mv0n0

Look fantastic  :D

Look fantastic  :D

Amazing story about the Korean.  As they say truth is stranger than fiction and IMO more Interesting than the product of someones imagination.  Excellent and very well done CGI work about D Day.

Here’s a link to some great photos from the D-Day landing June 6, 1944, along with photos of the same scenes 70 years later.  I know C Glide, especially, will appreciate the effort this took to find the exact same locations.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/d-day-landing-sites-then-now-normandy-beaches-1944-70-years-later-1450286

Here’s a link to some great photos from the D-Day landing June 6, 1944, along with photos of the same scenes 70 years later.  I know C Glide, especially, will appreciate the effort this took to find the exact same locations.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/d-day-landing-sites-then-now-normandy-beaches-1944-70-years-later-1450286

Woah,scary stuff!Who to thought that these places that are so comfy looking and to go on holiday was a place of death and havoc!Its nice to see that most of the locations look the same as it did 70 years ago.To all that fought and died in that battle,no matter what side they they were on,R.I.P.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Coincidentally, I was born almost exactly to the hour 30 years after D-day.

Being German, it fills you with great sadness at times that your own ancestors permitted such a totalitarian political system to exist in your country, with a certified lunatic at its helm, with no regard for human dignity, with an utterly racist ideology, and in the end responsible for the deaths of 45 million people. 

But my own family, like so many others, paid the price, in that my one granddad died in a trench somewhere on the Western front not long after D-day as the allied troops were advancing. A young man in his 20s, with a wife and three little kids back home. And deep down, that made him just as human as anybody. Given an actual choice, he very probably never would have given his life for that of the Führer.

Edited by Daytona74
  • Like 1