"Red Tape" doubt

ivoryjones

"Red Tape" is one of my favorites, but I'm still not sure about some points about the OCB plan in it... Wonder if someone has a clear vision on this, based on ep clues.-When Tubbs freaked out after the first room explosion, was he already acting under the plan of getting the dirty cop and being a "bait"?-Or did he really freak out, really came to Castillo face and perhaps some time after (more calm at last) he had the idea of being the bait and contacted the Lieutenant?-Who knew the plan from its beginning (whenever it was created): (1) Rico and Castillo or (2) Rico, Sonny and Castillo?

• Administrators

I believe that Rico knew that they had to find the leak. After the opening when Eddie got killed, Rico contacted Castillo and formulated the undercover story. Castillo later stated that Rico "knew the plan from the start."Rico stated on the phone "no deals" that he wanted to find the leak.Later when Sonny got the call from Bobbie, he tried to tell him that Rico was undercover but Bobbie hung up the phone before Sonny could finish.This was planned from the start.

Yeah, I always assumed Tubbs' freakout at the beginning was already part of "the act." We as viewers just weren't privvy to that fact yet.

I believe that Rico knew that they had to find the leak. After the opening when Eddie got killed' date=' Rico contacted Castillo and formulated the undercover story. Castillo later stated that Rico "knew the plan from the start."Rico stated on the phone "no deals" that he wanted to find the leak.Later when Sonny got the call from Bobbie, he tried to tell him that Rico was undercover but Bobbie hung up the phone before Sonny could finish.This was planned from the start.[/quote']This is the way I believe it to be true as well. I didn't know what to think at the time when I was watching it. Didn't think that far ahead while I was a first time watcher. It could have been real for all I knew, and he'd be cleared later or something. Caught me by suprise that's for sure! Very unlike him.

What about when its just Sonny and Rico in the police interogation room? Thre's just another policeman in the room with them but they carry on with the act?

What about when its just Sonny and Rico in the police interogation room? Thre's just another policeman in the room with them but they carry on with the act?

That's another thing that threw me. Obviously Crockett knew nothing about the plan at that point.I think that's why I bought it hook, line, and sinker. It still seemed so real.

Guest neworder

Is one of the great things about this episode, it does seem so realI was almost disapointed when Tubbs turned out to know all along and be undercoverHe was so convincing. However this episode would be a bit stronger if it had been Tubbs proper bad and coming round at the end and calling Crockett in on it.....so sort of like the Burnett trilogy except with no loss of memory lolSJB

He was so convincing. However this episode would be a bit stronger if it had been Tubbs proper bad and coming round at the end and calling Crockett in on it.....so sort of like the Burnett trilogy except with no loss of memory lolSJB

Glad Tubbs didn't have a ponytail....

the answer to this thread is given by Castillo himself. At the end, there is an OCB scene with Switek and the DA who warns Castillo that Tubbs will be whacked when McIntyre is already informed from the secret informant about Tubbs´ real status and the arrest warrant in the computer. Castillo answers that this is the only chance and "Tubbs knew the plan from the get-go". The answer to the thread question is therefore: alternative A)

It's really hard to say whether Crockett already knew at that interrogation room scene.On the other hand, it is certain they kept Switek out of it, as when Rico and Swi talk at the OCB, they're alone (as far as I remember), and Tubbs carry on with the play.So maybe Crockett only knew later, too. I believe it is not a matter of not trusting people, but that such a solid plan like this (inside th police!) must really keep things under control.

• Administrators

I don't think it is a matter of trust as much as a matter of "need to know". Obviously the less people that "know" the better and more chance of success your plan/mission/cover is gonna have to succeed.Sonny and Stan were not told from the beginning because they did not, at that time, have a need to know Tubbs was undercover.Also by not knowing they do not have to "act" like they don't therefore their performance is more "real" because it is "real" and not an act.

Remeber' date=' you could never trust Switek 100%[/quote']No matter what Stan was involved in, he would never turn on his vice pals! I believe it was a matter of the least people that knew about Tubbs' undercover the more real it seemed.

No matter what Stan was involved in' date=' he would never turn on his vice pals! I believe it was a matter of the least people that knew about Tubbs' undercover the more real it seemed.[/quote']Stan had all kinds of problems...personal problems. ....LOYALTY to his UNIT was never an issue. Stan proved his loyalty to the last episode.

Yes, I believe that at the end, one could say Stan was a good man with an issue too hard to handle. When I was a teen I used to think they spoiled the character in the 5th season perhaps in order to get higher ratings, but I think it might be rather the contrary: you could see that even in his worst moments he had a line where he would not go beyond.But considering the other seasons and hence "Red Tape", I'd suppose Stan's only vice back then was eating whatever and whenever he wanted too. Can't say it's that bad :)

I watched this ep last night and noticed a couple of interesting, trivia-type things. First, in the beginning when C&T are talking about how early it is, they sneaked in another "dirty Vice." After Rico says something about he was this close to paradise when he got the call, Sonny says something about knowing a good plastic surgeon if he needs to fill the gap. This is a dick joke, my friends,Second, around the 35-minute mark when Bobby is sitting in his car, the music cue playing sounds like it's the same one used when Tubbs' wire malfunctions in the limo in Heart of Darkness.