DESIGNER CLOTHES IN MIAMI VICE

COOPER&BURNETT

Ever wonder why the High End Designer clothes seen in MIAMI VICE were so expensive?Ever wonder if there is really any difference between Designer clothes, and the clothes in department stores?Every wonder if they are truly worth it?I can try to answer your questions.Most of you know that I own many clothes from famous High End Designers like Hugo Boss and Armani. I've been able to compare the clothes with "normal" clothes.Are these High End Designer clothes like Crockett's blazers truly worth nearly $2,000.00?No AND Yes.No in the sense that under normal conditions there is no way that these clothes are worth those kinds of price tags using the material, and workmanship involved in the manufacture of these garments unless real gold thread were used perhaps.HOWEVER;Yes it is worth it if you take into account that these garments are made in EXTREMELY low numbers. If only say 70 of a certain jacket are made in the entire world,(unlike the thousands of a single style made at Nordstrom or J.C. Penny's) are manufactured of the very highest quality workmanship that is humanly possible, and the fabrics are of the highest quality, then yes, it's worth it.Why do they charge so much? They have to.When you walk into a BEVERLY HILLS High End Designer store, you KNOW that the prices are high, there is no suprise. They have to charge what they do in order to make a profit. Do they make big profits? Well, yes. You are paying for:1. EXCLUSIVENESS. (If you are famous, or wealthy, you travel in circles that will put you in contact with people of means, and who buy expensive clothes. One doesn't wish to wear what someone else is wearing at a function, your an original.2. NAME RECOGNITION. Buying from ARMANI ensures you that you know that this brand of clothes is universally known for having the highest of quality and workmanship.3. PRICE. You are being charged higher than the average clothes companies for the biggest main reason. LOW VOLUME. In order to make a healthy profit, by making say only 50 or 70 of one jacket in the world, they know that they have to charge more because they don't have thousands of any particular item to sell to stores and the public. Therefore without selling thousands of a jacket for a fair price, they have to charge many, many times that for the few that are made. Yes, they do make quite a profit off of each garmet.I've been fortunate to feel, observe, and wear Very exclusive high end clothes, and there does seem at times that there is a difference in the quality. If you put a $19.99 ANDREW FEZZA linen blazer against a HUGO BOSS blazer, you will notice a quality difference. The fezzas are a wonderful bargin blazer, but they are still not the same quality as a high end blazer. The linen on the high end blazer is ususally a heavier, more durable fabric and weave. The designs seems to be of a more exotic, or higher quality design. Silk also tends to be of a higher quality. The stitching doesn't seem rushed, but well thought out, and of near perfect workmanship by a true artist, not rushed out by the thousands.When you compare say a quality blazer at say NORDSTROMs, then the quality of the two seem pretty comparable. However, GUCCI clothes will still be much more expensive due to thier low volume rareness compared to Nordstroms very high quality fairly high volume.There just something about the "feel" of the quality of the fabric, and of the weight of the garment that just can't be explained. It has to be experienced.Interestingly, not always the case, but more often than not, The stitching high on the lapel of men's jackets that looks like a single button hole usually can actually be used as a button hole in the higher end jackets, whereas a cheaper jacket just has the stitching in the lapel, but it's just an illusion without a real hole in the fabric.Basiclly, a High End Designer garment is damn near perfect.....but you'll pay dearly for it.

• Administrators

You bring up great points but I'd say that is true of a lot of things.If you buy an original Dayton, assuming you can still find one, you will pay over a million dollars for it. If you buy a replica, like the one used in MV, you will pay a fraction of the price.I think it is a question of quality vs knockoff style.Why else are there so may replicas. Watches, purses, cars, etc.?There are the haves, the ultra rich that can afford the originals and don't bat an eye at the prices and there are the have nots, the ones that can not afford the originals but want the similar style.Sadly, I'm in the have nots category. :)

You bring up great points but I'd say that is true of a lot of things.If you buy an original Dayton' date=' assuming you can still find one, you will pay over a million dollars for it. If you buy a replica, like the one used in MV, you will pay a fraction of the price.I think it is a question of quality vs knockoff style.Why else are there so may replicas. Watches, purses, cars, etc.?There are the haves, the ultra rich that can afford the originals and don't bat an eye at the prices and there are the have nots, the ones that can not afford the originals but want the similar style.Sadly, I'm in the have nots category. :)[/quote']Your absolutely correct. Any time there are High End items, there will be replicas copying the style, and counterfits.I have a couple replica rolex watches that are very good replicas, however, the original is made of a higher quality metal....SOLID 18K GOLD, as opposed to my stainless steel, gold plated version. A real rolex is quite simply flawless. Vastly superior to my replica. Although the average person would absoluely believe my watch is real (It's extremely convincing), it would not fool an expert.I love replicas for just the reason that replicas exist. It's so the average person who wants the original and it's style, but can't afford it. They still can have the illusion. COMBINING original items WITH replicas really add to the effect, because nobody would question the replica.

About watches.My father bought a knockoff Breitling in China once. It was a really beautifully made watch for a knockoff, and it had all sorts of nice details. And the kicker was that it was a mechanical wind-up watch, not a battery powered one. The problem with the watch? Because it was a knockoff, the watchmakers didn't bother with using those fancy jeweled gears and parts - those help the internal parts last longer. So the watch became pretty slow after a while due to the gears and parts wearing down from the constant friction. In the end, it didn't really matter because some douchebags stole it when they robbed his YMCA locker.

Ever wonder why the High End Designer clothes seen in MIAMI VICE were so expensive?Ever wonder if there is really any difference between Designer clothes' date=' and the clothes in department stores?Every wonder if they are truly worth it?I can try to answer your questions.Most of you know that I own many clothes from famous High End Designers like Hugo Boss and Armani. I've been able to compare the clothes with "normal" clothes.Are these High End Designer clothes like Crockett's blazers truly worth nearly $2,000.00?No AND Yes.No in the sense that under normal conditions there is no way that these clothes are worth those kinds of price tags using the material, and workmanship involved in the manufacture of these garments unless real gold thread were used perhaps.HOWEVER;Yes it is worth it if you take into account that these garments are made in EXTREMELY low numbers. If only say 70 of a certain jacket are made in the entire world,(unlike the thousands of a single style made at Nordstrom or J.C. Penny's) are manufactured of the very highest quality workmanship that is humanly possible, and the fabrics are of the highest quality, then yes, it's worth it.Why do they charge so much? They have to.When you walk into a BEVERLY HILLS High End Designer store, you KNOW that the prices are high, there is no suprise. They have to charge what they do in order to make a profit. Do they make big profits? Well, yes. You are paying for:1. EXCLUSIVENESS. (If you are famous, or wealthy, you travel in circles that will put you in contact with people of means, and who buy expensive clothes. One doesn't wish to wear what someone else is wearing at a function, your an original.2. NAME RECOGNITION. Buying from ARMANI ensures you that you know that this brand of clothes is universally known for having the highest of quality and workmanship.3. PRICE. You are being charged higher than the average clothes companies for the biggest main reason. LOW VOLUME. In order to make a healthy profit, by making say only 50 or 70 of one jacket in the world, they know that they have to charge more because they don't have thousands of any particular item to sell to stores and the public. Therefore without selling thousands of a jacket for a fair price, they have to charge many, many times that for the few that are made. Yes, they do make quite a profit off of each garmet.I've been fortunate to feel, observe, and wear Very exclusive high end clothes, and there does seem at times that there is a difference in the quality. If you put a $19.99 ANDREW FEZZA linen blazer against a HUGO BOSS blazer, you will notice a quality difference. The fezzas are a wonderful bargin blazer, but they are still not the same quality as a high end blazer. The linen on the high end blazer is ususally a heavier, more durable fabric and weave. The designs seems to be of a more exotic, or higher quality design. Silk also tends to be of a higher quality. The stitching doesn't seem rushed, but well thought out, and of near perfect workmanship by a true artist, not rushed out by the thousands.When you compare say a quality blazer at say NORDSTROMs, then the quality of the two seem pretty comparable. However, GUCCI clothes will still be much more expensive due to thier low volume rareness compared to Nordstroms very high quality fairly high volume.There just something about the "feel" of the quality of the fabric, and of the weight of the garment that just can't be explained. It has to be experienced.Interestingly, not always the case, but more often than not, The stitching high on the lapel of men's jackets that looks like a single button hole usually can actually be used as a button hole in the higher end jackets, whereas a cheaper jacket just has the stitching in the lapel, but it's just an illusion without a real hole in the fabric.Basiclly, a High End Designer garment is damn near perfect.....but you'll pay dearly for it.[/quote']Interesting, I will have to keep this in mind when shopping for Crockett-style blazers for the summer, thank you for posting this,Coop!

About watches.My father bought a knockoff Breitling in China once. It was a really beautifully made watch for a knockoff' date=' and it had all sorts of nice details. And the kicker was that it was a mechanical wind-up watch, not a battery powered one. The problem with the watch? Because it was a knockoff, the watchmakers didn't bother with using those fancy jeweled gears and parts - those help the internal parts last longer. So the watch became pretty slow after a while due to the gears and parts wearing down from the constant friction. In the end, it didn't really matter because some douchebags stole it when they robbed his YMCA locker.[/quote']Yep. The originals really do use very high quality elements.Thankfully, your father knew he was buying a replica, and wasn't taken into thinking he had an original. That sucks that someone stole it.With Expensive originals, at least one knows they just bought quality workmanship, and a warrenty to back it up. Remember that old saying?"You get what you pay for".

^ You can't expect to buy 'real' merchandise in China. Assume everything with a recognizable name is fake. Their prices may look pretty good in terms of Dollars to RMB conversion, but they are usually still way above what they merchandise is actually worth. So you have to learn how to haggle down the prices, especially considering that you're buying counterfeit goods.

Also, it's hard for companies to bring lawsuits of counterfeit items in other countries like China. First you have to catch those that are making them.....Were sure starting to get off subject here.

Also, it's hard for companies to bring lawsuits of counterfeit items in other countries like China. First you have to catch those that are making them........or just sink the intermodal about 3.1 nautical miles west of Long Beach Port.

...or just sink the intermodal about 3.1 nautical miles west of Long Beach Port.

I don't understand what this means.

• 1 year later...

With renewed interest in MIAMI VICE clothes, I thought I'd bring this thread back up so those who haven't see it, can.

Here's some information about LINEN that I copied from wikipedia.Highly absorbent and a good conductor of heat, linen fabric feels cool to the touch. Linen is among the strongest of the vegetable fibers, with 2 to 3 times the strength of cotton. It is smooth, making the finished fabric lint free, and gets softer the more it is washed. However, constant creasing in the same place in sharp folds will tend to break the linen threads. This wear can show up in collars, hems, and any area that is iron creased during laundering. Linen has poor elasticity and does not spring back readily, explaining why it wrinkles so easily.Linen fabrics have a high natural luster; their natural color ranges between shades of ivory, ecru, tan, or grey. Pure white linen is created by heavy bleaching. Linen typically has a thick and thin character with a crisp and textured feel to it, but it can range from stiff and rough, to soft and smooth. When properly prepared, linen fabric has the ability to absorb and lose water rapidly. It can gain up to 20% moisture without feeling damp.When freed from impurities, linen is highly absorbent and will quickly remove perspiration from the skin. Linen is a stiff fabric and is less likely to cling to the skin; when it billows away, it tends to dry out and become cool so that the skin is being continually touched by a cool surface. It is a very durable, strong fabric, and one of the few that are stronger wet than dry. The fibers do not stretch and are resistant to damage from abrasion. However, because linen fibers have a very low elasticity, the fabric will eventually break if it is folded and ironed at the same place repeatedly.Mildew, perspiration, and bleach can also damage the fabric, but it is resistant to moths and carpet beetles. Linen is relatively easy to take care of, since it resists dirt and stains, has no lint or pilling tendency, and can be dry cleaned, machine washed or steamed. It can withstand high temperatures, and has only moderate initial shrinkage.Linen should not be dried too much by tumble drying: it is much easier to iron when damp. Linen wrinkles very easily, and so some more formal linen garments require ironing often, in order to maintain perfect smoothness. Nevertheless the tendency to wrinkle is often considered part of the fabric's particular "charm", and a lot of modern linen garments are designed to be air dried on a good hanger and worn without the necessity of ironing.A characteristic often associated with contemporary linen yarn is the presence of "slubs", or small knots which occur randomly along its length. However, these slubs are actually defects associated with low quality. The finest linen has very consistent diameter threads, with no slubs.Linen is a textile made from the fibers of the flax plant, Linum usitatissimum. Linen is labor-intensive to manufacture, but when it is made into garments, it is valued for its exceptional coolness and freshness in hot weather.Textiles in a linen-weave texture, even when made of cotton, hemp and other non-flax fibers are also loosely referred to as "linen". Such fabrics generally have their own specific names other than linen; for example, fine cotton yarn in a linen-style weave is called Madapolam.The collective term "linens" is still often used generically to describe a class of woven and even knitted bed, bath, table and kitchen textiles. The name linens is retained because traditionally, linen was used for many of these items. In the past, the word "linens" was also used to mean lightweight undergarments such as shirts, chemises, waistshirts, lingerie (a word which is cognate with linen), and detachable shirt collars and cuffs, which were historically made almost exclusively out of linen.Today linen is usually an expensive textile, and is produced in relatively small quantities. It has a long "staple" (individual fiber length) relative to cotton and other natural fibers.