Viking Bikers from Hell: upon further review

mirrorimageegamirorrim

This is my first real post since rejoining the site and, I gotta admit, it feels nice.  Recently I've been re-watching episodes that in the past I used to hate and the hate was well-deserved I think.  But, in an effort to keep seasons one and two fresh, I decided I needed to watch something else.  So I went in chronological order and started with the big transitional season, Season 3.  I still prefer seasons one and two by a mile over seasons 3-5.  But, I was surprised how much I enjoyed the season as a whole this time, and this episode in particular, especially considering how much I used to loathe it.  Jan Hammer is in top form, something I never noticed before.  It's certainly one of his finest season 3 moments.  I was also really impressed with the pool scene which was filmed beautifully.  I now view this episode as a parallel to season one's "Nobody Lives Forever".  The styles are poles apart, and you already know which style I favor, but the themes are nearly identical.  There were some pretty decent exterior shots too which are hallmarks of a great episode of Vice.  In my view, the proportion of exterior to interior shots in a particular episode will predict how great the episode is.  Throughout the series, I've always loved any scene at a church and this episode was no exception.  The shootout towards the end was well done too.  I also enjoyed watching Billy from "Predator" in a different role.  I'm surprised this guy didn't have more success in the biz.  I'm writing all this based on a viewing about 8 weeks ago so I'm sure I'm leaving things off.  At some point I'm going to watch it again and maybe at that time I'll post more immediately after.  

Maybe I should have posted this in the DVD discussion.  Feel free to move it if you wish, Mr. Moderator.    

• Like 1

This is my first real post since rejoining the site and, I gotta admit, it feels nice.  Recently I've been re-watching episodes that in the past I used to hate and the hate was well-deserved I think.  But, in an effort to keep seasons one and two fresh, I decided I needed to watch something else.  So I went in chronological order and started with the big transitional season, Season 3.  I still prefer seasons one and two by a mile over seasons 3-5.  But, I was surprised how much I enjoyed the season as a whole this time, and this episode in particular, especially considering how much I used to loathe it.  Jan Hammer is in top form, something I never noticed before.  It's certainly one of his finest season 3 moments.  I was also really impressed with the pool scene which was filmed beautifully.  I now view this episode as a parallel to season one's "Nobody Lives Forever".  The styles are poles apart, and you already know which style I favor, but the themes are nearly identical.  There were some pretty decent exterior shots too which are hallmarks of a great episode of Vice.  In my view, the proportion of exterior to interior shots in a particular episode will predict how great the episode is.  Throughout the series, I've always loved any scene at a church and this episode was no exception.  The shootout towards the end was well done too.  I also enjoyed watching Billy from "Predator" in a different role.  I'm surprised this guy didn't have more success in the biz.  I'm writing all this based on a viewing about 8 weeks ago so I'm sure I'm leaving things off.  At some point I'm going to watch it again and maybe at that time I'll post more immediately after.  

Maybe I should have posted this in the DVD discussion.  Feel free to move it if you wish, Mr. Moderator.    

Nice review and welcome to this great site about a great show ! :D  :fireworks:

• 8 months later...

It's not a great episode, but it has its really good qualities:

• Solid script by John Milius (of Magnum Force fame)
  • Jan Hammer's reintroduction of the Rain/Milk Run theme
  • One of the last S3 episodes to have the old genuine "Vice Vibe" before everything changed in S4