Payback

chum981

Going throught the threads, I'm surprised there's not more interest in "Payback". I thought this episode was exceptional. One of my favorites. A very good story and one that was unpredictable and unlike others. The teaser is fantastic, and again unpredictable, wanting you to watch more to know why the inmate shot himself. And the end was good too, where Crockett agrees that the job messes with your mind - and with the classic Crockett JH score. Also very good acting all around...

I agree. I really like Payback too. I'd put it in my top 10 favourite episodes.I loved Frank Zappa's guest apperance. That was awesome. One of my favourite scenes in Vice. Frank is my favourite musician and a hero of mine.I wish he was still with us.

Guest neworder

Yeah weird how it was never concluded.I too love Payback, but ive watched it so much over the years lol...cant faulter the intro though, awesome awesome hammer music there. Payback tune is my 3rd most listened to song on my PC only beaten by Rushing-Moby and then Edge of Town-The Truth tops the list!SJB

I remember how odd it was having back to back episodes where someone shoots themselves in the head while Sonny watches (THE FIX at the end of the episode, and PAYBACK right at the begining!).The episode is wonderful! It's another example of unresolved endings that the writers left open.JAN HAMMER's score was indeed incredible. New themes, and borrowed themes from season one. All freshened up, in stereo, and truly brilliant!This was indeed one of the better episodes.

I remember how odd it was having back to back episodes where someone shoots themselves in the head while Sonny watches (THE FIX at the end of the episode' date=' and PAYBACK right at the begining!).The episode is wonderful! It's another example of unresolved endings that the writers left open.JAN HAMMER's score was indeed incredible. New themes, and borrowed themes from season one. All freshened up, in stereo, and truly brilliant!This was indeed one of the better episodes.[/quote']You noticed the high suicide rate on the end of season two as well? I like this episode, it had some elements of Heart of Darkness, although I didn't find Frank Zappa's performance all too amazing (guess you have to be a fan of his music.) but it does have Dan Hedaya playing another frowning character. (first he played a ilnternal affairs man now a dealer.)

I've got a question: why couldn't C&T at least detain Fuente for the legally allowed 72 hours? He did "out" an undercover cop in front of guys with guns, and an argument could be made that he then ordered those guys to fire upon the officer and his partner (I realize he never actually said "Shoot them," but I think an argument could be made, to tie up the detainment for a while). It seems like a better option than just having the dude swim back to his boat, where he could plot God knows what.

• Administrators
I've got a question: why couldn't C&T at least detain Fuente for the legally allowed 72 hours? He did "out" an undercover cop in front of guys with guns' date=' and an argument could be made that he then ordered those guys to fire upon the officer and his partner (I realize he never actually said "Shoot them," but I think an argument could be made, to tie up the detainment for a while). It seems like a better option than just having the dude swim back to his boat, where he could plot God knows what.[/quote']Gotta agree with you there. Forget the drugs, you had two counts of attempted murder on two law enforcement officers. Two counts of conspiracy to commit murder on two law enforcement officers. Not to mention the charges ATF would have brought down for the automatic weapons. Don't forget anyone that was a felon in the employment of Fuente that had a weapon...Fuente would have gone down for a long long time on those charges alone. This is the same point I bought up some time ago with Crockett not busting Maynard in the parking garage when he was supposed to exchange the tape for Stone. He had him right there with kidnapping charges and a whole bunch of other things too, but he let him go.Of course this is TV land if they acted properly, we would have some short eps.

Gotta agree with you there. Forget the drugs' date=' you had two counts of attempted murder on two law enforcement officers. Two counts of conspiracy to commit murder on two law enforcement officers. Not to mention the charges ATF would have brought down for the automatic weapons. Don't forget anyone that was a felon in the employment of Fuente that had a weapon...Fuente would have gone down for a long long time on those charges alone. Of course this is TV land if they acted properly, we would have some short eps.[/quote']Sonny was also concerned with IAD being on his back. I think he was trying to clear his name and find out who had the missing money. I recall Fuente said that Crockett and Tubbs had nothing on him - wasn't Fuente permanently living out on a boat far off shore, and therefore Miami laws weren't applicable to him? That's why C&T let Fuente go.