The best teasers by season

mirrorimageegamirorrim

Which teasers stand out to you?  After thinking about this I noticed that there are several great episodes with fairly pedestrian teasers but a great teaser essentially guarantees a great episode. Here are my favorites:

Season 1:  Calderone's Return Part II: The Scarab running full throttle in open water set to great music, need I say more?

Evan:  Mannequins and Mac-10s baby!

Season 2:  The season that perfected the teaser.  There's so many I'm gonna have to make a Sophie's Choice (or three).

Out Where the Buses Don't Run: Music by The Who, more pretty ladies than you can shake a stick at, C&T in top form

Bushido: Zito's shining moment

Definitely Miami: The episode title says it all; all of Vice's definitive elements are present.  If, the first time you watched this episode, you weren't blown away by the sand smothering the car you must have been comatose.

Yankee Dollar: Probably the best combination of non-Jan Hammer music and drama in the entire series.

Little Miss Dangerous: I watched this when it first aired.  I was pretty young and I kept shifting my attention between the TV and the doorway because I was afraid I would get in trouble for watching strippers on TV.   :)

Payback: The sense of forboding is tremendous.  I've always thought it looked like snow on the ground when Crockett and the guard are walking across the yard.  Anybody else ever think this?  Were these rocks?  Salt?  

Sons and Lovers: This is pure action from the word "Go!" and I love the in media res perspective.

Season 3:  Shadow in the Dark:  As scary as anything you will find from a feature-length horror flick of the day.

Lend Me an Ear:  As much as I miss the Scarab, it's still one of the best boat chases of the series.  Nice to see Sonny wearing white again, too.

Season 4:  Love at First Sight:  This is grainy video used for great horror effect before it became so cliched in our time.

Baseballs of Death:  Great atmosphere here.  Good combination of music, seduction, violence.  The way he wrapped the scarf around the end of the gun was so unexpected and odd.  It's one of those things that most people would probably not think much about but I found it absolutely unforgettable.

Mirror Image:  The best combination of drama and Jan Hammer scoring in the entire series takes place in that marina.

Season 5:  Hostile Takeover:  Maybe the best club scene of the series.  The more modern look that Vice took on in season 5 is apparent from the first seconds of season premier's teaser and the effect is spectacular.

Bad Timing:  A great job of Truman scoring layered over Crockett's mesmerizing and highly emotional deposition make this not only one the best teasers of the season but of the entire show.   A rare example of an outstanding teaser followed by a mediocre episode.

To Have and to Hold:  The architecture of the church, the beautiful clothes, the music, and the style of Ricardo Tubbs make this one of the season's best.    

There you have it.  Please DON"T be discouraged from replying to this thread because I wrote so much.  I really want to hear which teaser YOU GUYS love.  Episode titles are sufficient but if you want to add some commentary stating why you like it so much that's even better.      

• Like 1

Which teasers stand out to you?  After thinking about this I noticed that there are several great episodes with fairly pedestrian teasers but a great teaser essentially guarantees a great episode. Here are my favorites:

Season 1:  Calderone's Return Part II: The Scarab running full throttle in open water set to great music, need I say more?

Evan:  Mannequins and Mac-10s baby!

Season 2:  The season that perfected the teaser.  There's so many I'm gonna have to make a Sophie's Choice (or three).

Out Where the Buses Don't Run: Music by The Who, more pretty ladies than you can shake a stick at, C&T in top form

Bushido: Zito's shining moment

Definitely Miami: The episode title says it all; all of Vice's definitive elements are present.  If, the first time you watched this episode, you weren't blown away by the sand smothering the car you must have been comatose.

Yankee Dollar: Probably the best combination of non-Jan Hammer music and drama in the entire series.

Little Miss Dangerous: I watched this when it first aired.  I was pretty young and I kept shifting my attention between the TV and the doorway because I was afraid I would get in trouble for watching strippers on TV.   :)

Payback: The sense of forboding is tremendous.  I've always thought it looked like snow on the ground when Crockett and the guard are walking across the yard.  Anybody else ever think this?  Were these rocks?  Salt?  

Sons and Lovers: This is pure action from the word "Go!" and I love the in media res perspective.

Season 3:  Shadow in the Dark:  As scary as anything you will find from a feature-length horror flick of the day.

Lend Me an Ear:  As much as I miss the Scarab, it's still one of the best boat chases of the series.  Nice to see Sonny wearing white again, too.

Season 4:  Love at First Sight:  This is grainy video used for great horror effect before it became so cliched in our time.

Baseballs of Death:  Great atmosphere here.  Good combination of music, seduction, violence.  The way he wrapped the scarf around the end of the gun was so unexpected and odd.  It's one of those things that most people would probably not think much about but I found it absolutely unforgettable.

Mirror Image:  The best combination of drama and Jan Hammer scoring in the entire series takes place in that marina.

Season 5:  Hostile Takeover:  Maybe the best club scene of the series.  The more modern look that Vice took on in season 5 is apparent from the first seconds of season premier's teaser and the effect is spectacular.

Bad Timing:  A great job of Truman scoring layered over Crockett's mesmerizing and highly emotional deposition make this not only one the best teasers of the season but of the entire show.   A rare example of an outstanding teaser followed by a mediocre episode.

To Have and to Hold:  The architecture of the church, the beautiful clothes, the music, and the style of Ricardo Tubbs make this one of the season's best.    

There you have it.  Please DON"T be discouraged from replying to this thread because I wrote so much.  I really want to hear which teaser YOU GUYS love.  Episode titles are sufficient but if you want to add some commentary stating why you like it so much that's even better.      

A great post - The "Hostile Takeover" one is excellent for me so well directed by Don Johnson . :D

• Like 1

Good post mirror . . .,

Lots of good teasers but these are my favorites: LMD of course, Evan, Shadow in the Dark, Mirror Image, and Viking Bikers. 

• Like 1

Good post mirror . . .,

Lots of good teasers but these are my favorites: LMD of course, Evan, Shadow in the Dark, Mirror Image, and Viking Bikers. 

LMD very good Jim - I also thought "No Exit aka Three Eyed Turtle " ! :dance2: 

• 6 months later...

Season 1

Milk Run, Cool chase through the airport/mall. I like Sonny's quip about Rico having a hormone problem because of his excessive sweating xD

No Exit. Pretty cool scene and Tubbs hates machine guns.

Little Prince, No fire escape.

Evan shooting mannequins with his Mac-10s like a psychopath.

Lombard, It's so atmospheric with the jan hammer music as their rolling onto Lombards yacht in the black of night, I love that shot of crockett smoking and the look on his face. I miss watching people smoke on screen lol

Season 2

Payback, brilliant Jan hammer score and it's just so cool as he saunters through the prison

Phill the shill, Crockett starting the fight with the guy and pretending he scratched his car was in the teaser right? Or was it right after?

Dutch Oven, lousy episode but Trudy looks smoking in the wig and face paint and I like the car chase.

One way ticket. The assassin crashing the wedding and escaping on boat. I like it when Miami looks all stormy.

..and I agree Yankee Dollar is magical. I remember watching it the last time and it hit me how depressing this show is sometimes. A girl dies from smuggling cocaine in his stomach within the first 2 minutes? DAMN

Season 3

Theresa, I like it when the woman calls the cops on C&Ts, then they storm a house and a chopper dumps cocaine into the ocean.

Killshot. Eminence front and one of the best Scarrab boat scenes in the entire series. I think that's one of the only times you see it in action in season 3 for some reason.
The good collar, I like the banter between C&Ts

• Administrators

Florence Italy is my absolute favourite intro scene. Crockett and Tubbs, just cruising the night. "The Fat Boys" doing some beat boxing, the "make it disappear" thing. Then that car chase scene.

Florence Italy is such an underrated episode. I seem to be the only person here who even mentions it. :)

• Like 1

Florence Italy is my absolute favourite intro scene. Crockett and Tubbs, just cruising the night. "The Fat Boys" doing some beat boxing, the "make it disappear" thing. Then that car chase scene.

Florence Italy is such an underrated episode. I seem to be the only person here who even mentions it. :)

I only watch that one for the awesome car chase and then I skip to the next ep. :D  sorry

I like this episode too, James. Jan Hammer score from Florence Italy is magnificent.

• 4 months later...

S1: Evan - I was shocked that I couldn't even find a close second. I had imagined that I loved most S1 teasers, but there actually weren't many great ones. I guess Smuggler's Blues was #2.

Season 2:  The season that perfected the teaser.

That is so true!  Oh boy, this is such a tough decision.   The Out Where the Buses Don't Run teaser is a classic.  The Bushido teaser is so artfully constructed and filmed.  Yankee Dollar was great, with Mike & The Mechanics "Par Avion" and the roller coaster of emotion, from chillaxin' to romance to horror.  Sons & Lovers teaser is TENSE!!!  Side note:  I vote Definitely Miami as the best opening credits scene (Crockett demonstrating his immunity poolside).

S2: Bushido

S3: Killshot - That boat zooming through the river at night!!!  I almost cheated by picking the opening credit scene in El Viejo.  That was intended to be the opening teaser and the first scene of the entire season, but then they later had to add the lame 18-wheeler scenes for continuity, plus push the episode back a few weeks.  I also wanted to pick Stone's War because Steve Jones' "Mercy" is my favorite song of the whole MV series, but I can't in good conscience put a non-Miami scene on this list.

S4: Baseballs of Death - This scene gives me a strong S1 vibe.  It's one of the few scenes in S4 that I unequivocally loved.  "Pump Up the Volume"   :thumbsup:   And ... well ... dat girl is rackalicious   =)

S5: Hard Knocks - I think Borrasca has a potentially awesome teaser, but it's trying too hard to be Vicey.  Heart of Night is a good one.  In the end, I can't explain why I chose Hard Knocks, but it is just a fun scene with the 18-wheeler barreling through city-streets.

My favorite MIAMI VICE teaser of all time is the teaser from SONS AND LOVERS.

That one is just so Awesome!  "We didn't have a laser. We didn't even get a shot off"   AWESOME!!

The Teasers in S1 are more low key compared to the later seasons..

Calderone's Demise, No Exit, Little Prince, Lombard teasers are all classic vice.

Yeah, the No Exit teaser was cool.   Ocean Drive scenery, some banter, then the action.   I love Hammer's music, which was intentionally written to resemble the start of Phil Collins'"I Don't Care Any More" (therefore it will never ever be released, sadly).

This scene and this ep were kind of like the beginning of MV, with everything before it as a prologue.  The Calderone backstory was completed, actors had started settling into their characters, Castillo had replaced Rodriguez and it was like "Now let's get down to business."  This was the first scene in the series where the whole gang is working together in the field. 

Edited by airtommy
  • Like 1