Your favorite "Guilty Pleasure" films (i.e., terrible flicks you love anyway).

Lar

Okay, my turn for a favorite film thread. I'm a longtime Mystery Science Theater 3000 fan, for well over a decade. I'm a bonafide Mistie, so I've seen my fair share of terrible movies. It actually has extended beyond the show, to the point that I've sought out awful flicks for some kind of entertainment. Yes, I admit it: I'm a bad movie buff. And not for a little while, I've pulled this crap for years. So, to get to the point, what are your favorite 'bad' movies, that you can't help but love to watch? I'm not saying movies that are so terrible you won't watch them, but rather those guilty pleasure flicks, so awful they're good. You know you have a few.My choice: Actually one I originally saw on MST3K, The Giant Spider Invasion, from 1975. The episode is great, but this movie is plenty of fun on it's own. A meteor crashes in Wisconsin, and unleashes a hoard of tarantulas (real ones), as well as a few dog-sized spiders (puppets), and one big ol' spider that roams around eating people (in actuality, a Volkswagen Bug covered in fur with mechanical legs, with the tailights as eyes. Yes, I'm serious). This one's got it all: Unlikeable characters, a plot that can't decide if it wants to be serious or light-hearted, a convoluted black hole theory, plenty of 1970's fashions, cars, etc. Oh, and washed up actors. A few, actually: Steve Brodie, Barbara Hale, Leslie Parrish, and the skipper himself, Alan Hale Jr. His first line? "Hey little buddy!". It's cheap, and it's definitely terrible, but it's not unwatchable. It's so much fun, I can't help but love it.So, there's mine. How about yours?

Glad to see the torch passed on! Here are some guilty faves.- Return to Horror High (1987), The Brain That Wouldn't Die (1950) (Love that sleazy theme "The Web"), Bullets, Blood, and a Fistfull of Cash (2006) (a film that feels like it was written by a gangster obsessed 12 year old, but I love it!), all the Godzilla films, Goke:Body Snatcher from Hell, and of course... Prince of Space!! (as seen on the excellent Mystery Science Theater 3000)

I saw a few minutes of Mystery Science Theater doing Plan 9 From Outer Space and it was hilarious. Especially the gravedigger's dialogue ('Act five of Hamlet, ladies and gentlemen') and the pilot's "cockpit" ('Look at all the controls! How do they manage to keep track of everything?'). And when the opening credits said 'Directed, written and produced by Edward D. Wood' they said "The poor guy wasn't even smart enough to spread the blame"Hilarious stuff. wish I could've seen all of it

• Administrators

"Plan 9 From Outer Space" is billed as the worst movie ever made. Bela Lugosi died during filming but there was no explanation, no plot changes, he simply disappeared halfway through the film!

• Administrators

+1 on MST3KMy favorite ep. from that one was the old 80 TV show "The Master" with Lee Van Cleef. He was supposed to be a ninja running from his clan or something like that and he had this young guy as an apprentice. Well there was one scene where he's dressed up in his costume and he hops up onto this tight rope in one fatal swoop and scoots across the rope to the other side.One of the MST puppets said something like "...look there goes Lee Van Petite" :D It was so obvious that it wasn't him it was quite comical.MST3K had some great shows.Another one for me was "Jacobs Ladder". This was the most confusing/stupid movie I think I ever saw. I couldn't figure out if the guy was alive or dead, in Vietnam, out of Vietnam, dreaming the whole movie??? :confused:

Well, that's a matter of opinion. (to me, Jacob's Ladder is a cerebral masterpiece.) My mom loves the film Killer Clowns from Outer Space, Less Than Zero was called garbage but it's a masterpiece, Lost Highway is a confusing film but I say it's the best film of all time. It's hard to pick films because remember: One man's trash is another man's masterpiece. Heck, some people consider Gone With the Wind another civil war film.... like me.

Less Than Zero IMHO is a good film. A great representation of the 80's.I'm a MST3K fan as well. In fact, I caught the movie on last Sunday morning at 7am. My wife was asleep and kept laughing, and then woke up and said "what are you watching?" She's a fan as well, but this one had Nelson in it. Sorry but I'm a Joel fan. His comments were funnier IMHO, and the lines were better back then. The only problem is, I can't find any good episodes I like with him in it, for a good price. I checked Amazon but I think they want an outrageous price for a few films. One of theirs I remember is the one with Santa and the Martians. Droppo!!!!!!! The other one is Mitchell. I'm also a big Pam Grier fan. I have a box set with her, along with the Blacula films. What a body.....LOLMy guilty pleasure beside comedies, is 50's through early 70's horror films and sci-fi's.Of course vampire films are my soft spot. Check out Vampyres if you dare. Not really well received. BTW, plan 9 is great because it's the last time we see Lugosi......

Glad to see the torch passed on! Here are some guilty faves.- Return to Horror High (1987)' date=' The Brain That Wouldn't Die (1950) (Love that sleazy theme "The Web"), Bullets, Blood, and a Fistfull of Cash (2006) (a film that feels like it was written by a gangster obsessed 12 year old, but I love it!), all the Godzilla films, Goke:Body Snatcher from Hell, and of course... Prince of Space!! (as seen on the excellent Mystery Science Theater 3000)[/quote']Prince Of Space is another huge one. What a wonderful disaster of a movie. I taped the original airing, and it still hasn't became dull over the numerous viewings over the years. Most likely my favorite ep of MST3K, one I never get tired of. Parts: The Clonus Horror is also up there, but that film is actually a very good idea, hampered by low budget and some weak acting. Believe it or not, Clonus is actually a favorite film of mine, but that's another story.Another baddie but goodie: PMT's Death Drug, Specifically, the 1985 rerelease. Talk about train wreck. My brother and I were dying! The original film sucked anyway, but then PMT decided to add (very obvious) modern scenes, as well as his music video for "Just The Way I Planned It". Needless to say, this causes a few clashes with the original film's plot.Also, I used to be a pretty big Japanese Monster Movie fan. Specifically Godzilla. Looking back, most of them are pretty bad (in a good way). However, the original 1956 film (both the Japanese and/or US edits) is genuinely good, and Godzilla Vs. Mothra I also remember being pretty good. Godzilla Vs. The Smog Monster is a definite guilty pleasure. If anyone ever has the chance, check it out. Waaayy different than the usual Godzilla outing.All of the Gamera films, at least the classic era ones, are terrible. Again, in a fun way.

My favorite Godzilla film is "Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla". Spacemen create a giant robotic replica of Godzilla so they revive an ancient monster named King Caesar to battle it. I like the 70's Godzilla films the best, except for Godzilla vs. Megalon.

You know, I could never get into Godzilla Vs. Mechgodzilla, I just never found it very fun. Heck, it's got a fake Godzilla, and ape-aliens, and it still doesn't do it for me. Terror of Mechagodzilla (the last classic-era Godzilla film) was even worse, just plain boring.Godzilla Vs. Megalon was such a disaster, it's an entertaining view once in awhile, but it's not a regular for me. It's a little TOO bad.Godzilla on Monster Island (AKA Vs. Gigan) was ridiulous; Godzilla & Angillas actually talk! For nostalgic reasons, I love it.

I thought the Godzilla vs. Gigan film was good, but they kept remaking and reviving in the 90's and screwed up the series. Godzilla 85 was the last great Godzilla movie.

I liked "Mysterious Island" a Jules Verne film done back in the fifties I believe?Anyway it has the giant chicken and enourmous crab and the attack of the giant killer bees etc.Its not a bad movie actually and the special effects were quite good, considering the age of the movie. Very hard to find but I managed to grab a DVD from a Disney store in the mall. (lucky find I guess?) I looked for it for many years until I stumbled over it.

Definitely Death Wish III. Or Commando and Bloodsport depending on who you ask, but I actually consider those to be pretty decent movies. Death Wish III, on the other hand, was almost an unmitigated disaster, and one of the few movies that I would consider to be comedy and an action flick. Whether there's an actual real plot or storyline is highly debatable.In the first two Death Wish movies, you have Paul Kersey, and architect who loses his wife and daughter to muggers and thugs. In Death Wish III, Paul Kersey is simply some dude who's been given free reign by a police chief to kill a bunch of gangbangers. So he basically goes around setting MacGyver-esque traps in apartments, walks around with a gigantic handgun, and kills at least 200 people by the end of it. Seriously. That's the whole friggin' movie. He's not even an architect anymore, nor does he hold any other job: his job here is to simply go on a rampage. What makes this move hilariously bad (besides the basic plot)? The gangmembers dress like pseudo-Neo Nazis, complete with swastikas and mohawks, except they're multi-racial. The set, made to 'mimick' East New York in Brooklyn, is basically a bunch of burned down buildings and apartments. The acting by pretty much every 'actor' is laughably bad. But most of all, whoever wrote the script and dialog should either be shot or given a gold medal: it is so bad, it's great.

I've heard that about Death Wish III, it's a flick I really want to see. The original is an all-time favorite of mine (Death Wish II, on the other hand, is repulsive). I have IV on VHS, somewhere, but I never got around to watching it.Here's one for everybody: The Corpse Grinders (1972). 70's crap-horror at it's best (worst). Or, if you want REALLY bad, The Corpse Grinders 2 (2000). I had regular contact with the director (Ted V. Mikels) via email all throughout the production of the sequel, and when I finally got my signed VHS copy, I just didn't have the heart to tell him it's horrible. Cheap costumes, rehashed plot of the original, and shot on videotape, it's a mess (in other words, it's great!).

I've heard that about Death Wish III' date=' it's a flick I really want to see. The original is an all-time favorite of mine (Death Wish II, on the other hand, is repulsive). I have IV on VHS, somewhere, but I never got around to watching it.[/quote']The first Death Wish is also an all-time favorite of mine. Just a beautifully made film, and that Herbie Hancock score in the background is haunting. And yes, Death Wish II sucked, although it did have its moments (Laurence Fishburne getting his face shot through a boombox, the "Do you believe in Jesus" scene, and a few others).Death Wish IV is a far better movie than Death Wish II, especially with the cool and satisfying ending and that cheesy 80's "hero walking away into the night while the credits and cheesy 80's music roll in". But it's still a pretty bad movie.