Anybody else miss VHS?

Viceguy

You know, for some time I've been having this little obsession about VHS fueled by nostalgic feelings. I' m so fond of the format despite its drawbacks (for me it will always be the thing I was weaned on) that I want to start collecting tapes with my favorite movies. Come on, digital quality sucks. Its tooo clean and crisp, no matter how many times you play it it always stays the same, whereas every videocassete has unique personal history marks.

People generally just don't get it and look at me like I am from another planet. Not that I care.  I m curious if anybody feels the same way about VHS ?

• Like 1

What I really like about VHS is that you can erase things from a tape or add something to it. Once a DVD is finalized, you can't delete or add anything. VHS takes up too much shelf space though, and even worse, you must fast forward or rewind to skip to something you want to see. That was always a pain!

• Administrators

I still watch tapes, we have old recordings like the last episode of Cheers with ads and all, as it was aired on TV. Stuff like that is really great to watch, I don't even skip the old ads. 

Another thing about VHS is that recording a movie off TV was legal piracy. :pI kind of miss it though, VHS and analog TV. The late 90s and early 00's would be my favourite time of my life, been watching The Sopranos recently and it has me feeling all nostalgic of my childhood and the old technology, we used to sit as a family watch The Sopranos every week, along with Nash Bridges, and Friends of course.

Does the younger generation ever sit as a family to watch certain TV shows? TV shows aren't even that good anymore TBH, there is nothing worth sitting down as a family to watch. I think I'm getting off topic now, so I'll stop :)

• Administrators

What I really like about VHS is that you can erase things from a tape or add something to it. Once a DVD is finalized, you can't delete or add anything. VHS takes up too much shelf space though, and even worse, you must fast forward or rewind to skip to something you want to see. That was always a pain!

Actually, you can get rewritable disks. They're called DVD-RW (or CD-RW for normal CD's), then burn it as a "data disk" and you can delete files, add others. 

I think Windows 7 also has an option to use a disk like a USB drive, I think that allows you to add and remove data off normal disks which aren't RW (rewritable), but I am not sure whether it works in a DVD player. But if it's for recording off TV using a DVR (Digital Video Recorder), perhaps the DVD-RW would be the better option, or save it to USB, transfer to computer, burn to disk.

There is just something really special for me about VHS. Almost magical - I guess its childhood memories, I m sure that the kids of today just won't get that. The feeling of holding this bulky tape ( not that slim disk that can break in two ), the process of inserting it into VCR, the noise during rewinding, and what is most important - the ability to continue watching right where you stopped, even if it was 15 years ago.

What I also enjoy is that some VHS tapes can be full of surprises. For example, you're watching a movie only to find out that some other one was recorded over in the middle of the first ) DVDs can't top that )

BTW, does anybody remember VHS rival Betamax? Maybe somebody had a Betamax VCR back in the 80s?

I still have a bunch of VHS tapes.I was born in '93 so before I had DirectTV it was bunny ears,only local channels and crappy reception.My dad sometimes put on Nash Bridges,I thought the show was cool :done:

I should of kept commercials in my tapes but I never bothered to record them :evil:

Edited by BlueAir