I wish there were more Smuggler's blues type episodes

Vincent Hanna

I loved those storyline were C&Ts are in a foreign country/city and they got no back up. It brought an element of suspense that was rarely seen afterwards.

And if you think about Paul Michael Glaser directed pretty much every single one of those eps (Calderone's return, Smuggler's Blues and Prodigal son) and the only other time was the Freefall

If they went to Ireland for the season 3 opener like originally planned that would have been pretty cool. Idk why they picked Ireland of all places though, the least vice location possible, especially in the 80s x.x lol. And i think i read for Season 4 michael mann wanted to go to Japan which would have been extremely expensive and unrealistic but if it did happen it would have been amazing.

They could have went to the Bahamas, Cuba, Jamaica, Mexico. But then again i should just be grateful they took the time to do those few episodes, must have been a pain in the butt to move the whole crew and equipment to these remote places.

yeah and also they edited the stuff in LA, so in addition to the cross country delivery of the film footage, you now put that ontop of all that.

nowadays though they could do a new vice show with that kind of a setting, although I think Crockett would have to be a DEA agent asigned to the miami vice department as a Consultant for that to work and for people to believe it.

after all if you removed Crockett's toys from vice it does make it a great deal more believable if he's just a vice cop, DEA though he would have long term access to seized goods for his cover, especially the boats.

and that's probably also the reason why the TR and Elvis werent really their for most of the latter Dick Wolf seasons, and to be fair I wonder if Vice Would have evolved into Homicide life on the streets in the 1990's really with the way it was going.

which didnt seem like a bad show actually.

plus the expensive suits could just be handwaved away abyways as no one really pays any attention to that anymore, as hell even in CSI Miami one of the female detectives during season 4 was carrying a 4 thousand dollar gun at one point and I dont think anyone really noticed.

and actually that particular firearm was a Straigher Voit TIKI, like Crockett supposedly used in the 2006 movie as a note of trivia, and plus no one scoffed at CSI Miami using a Gas Guzling upper level SUV that gets 5 to 8

so its all about how you package things, as with the Bridge of the USS JJ prise at their beck and Calling, I dont think anyone really cared about them having a 65 K car.

Edited by Kavinsky

I loved those storyline were C&Ts are in a foreign country/city and they got no back up. It brought an element of suspense that was rarely seen afterwards.

And if you think about Paul Michael Glaser directed pretty much every single one of those eps (Calderone's return, Smuggler's Blues and Prodigal son) and the only other time was the Freefall

If they went to Ireland for the season 3 opener like originally planned that would have been pretty cool. Idk why they picked Ireland of all places though, the least vice location possible, especially in the 80s x.x lol. And i think i read for Season 4 michael mann wanted to go to Japan which would have been extremely expensive and unrealistic but if it did happen it would have been amazing.

They could have went to the Bahamas, Cuba, Jamaica, Mexico. But then again i should just be grateful they took the time to do those few episodes, must have been a pain in the butt to move the whole crew and equipment to these remote places.

I remember reading about the Season 3 premiere originally being planned to be based as a double episode arc in Ireland ( around the "When Irish Eyes Are Crying" script ) but this was scrapped as Don Johnson was busy recording his debut solo Lp "Heartbeat " at that time and couldnt spare the time to go to Europe. 

Ireland was probrably chosen as at that time it was big news with the problems they were having with the Ira etc 

I was always impressed with the detail of producers filming out of Miami for "Calderones Return " , "Smugglers Blues " and " The Prodigal Son" . Ok so a few frames were filmed in Miami standing in for these locations ( Crandon Park Marina is an example for some of the St Andrews Island scenes in "Calderone's Return " )

- but generally they went all out. :D